Grand Touring tire recommendation

Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Grand Touring tire recommendation

Hi, All.

Looking for some grand touring tires for daily street use. I currently have the cooper RS3-a which are comparable to the continental extremecontact DWS. They handle excellent in all conditions, but are a bit stiff for daily street use especially around city roads where the pavement is less than acceptable. I'd like to put some tires on that have a softer sidewall, are quieter, and overall more comfortable but still have good all-weather handling.

I've been looking between the Continental PureContact and Michelin Premier A/S. Anyone have personal experience or a general tire nerd and can steer me in the right direction?

Cost is my last focus. A blend of comfort and performance are my priorities. The tire living up to it's rated wear would also be nice.

Thanks!

Last edited by t3hhcaptain; 07-17-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
For my wife's last car it came down to the Conti's, the Premier A/S, and the Pirelli Cinturanto P7 All Season Plus; I chose the latter and was extremely happy with them.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by horseshoez
For my wife's last car it came down to the Conti's, the Premier A/S, and the Pirelli Cinturanto P7 All Season Plus; I chose the latter and was extremely happy with them.
I did read about the Pirelli's. They were on the list up until Tire Rack said:
  • What We Liked: The most luxurious ride and sound quality of the test.
  • What We'd Improve: A big increase in wet grip is a must.
  • Conclusion: A refined option for when rain is not in the forecast.
Ohio tends to get a decent amount of rain and I tend to drive like its dry when its wet... so I'm hesitant to consider these on my car.

I saw a couple complaints that the Michelin Premiers wore down quickly but I have no way to verify details of folk's cars (like toe). I've also heard the PureContacts are a little choppy (rough) in comparison to other GT tires.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
Ohio tends to get a decent amount of rain and I tend to drive like its dry when its wet... so I'm hesitant to consider these on my car.

I saw a couple complaints that the Michelin Premiers wore down quickly but I have no way to verify details of folk's cars (like toe). I've also heard the PureContacts are a little choppy (rough) in comparison to other GT tires.
I guess it's all relative; the Pirelli's dealt with rain way better than many tires I've driven, and were virtually unstoppable in the snow (here in New Hampshire we tend to get even more rain and snow than Ohio).
Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I guess it's all relative; the Pirelli's dealt with rain way better than many tires I've driven, and were virtually unstoppable in the snow (here in New Hampshire we tend to get even more rain and snow than Ohio).
Interesting... I wonder why they said that?

Here they said "needs a big increase": https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=220

Here they say "moderate increase": https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=188

Old 07-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
because tires are subjective....
what one person likes, another will not

the reason for this is because tire manufactures use different compounds of rubber.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
because tires are subjective....
what one person likes, another will not

the reason for this is because tire manufactures use different compounds of rubber.
This is true.

Based on this info graphic (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=188), I'm leaning towards the Michelins right now. The Pirellis is my second choice due to the lower wet track ratings. The Continentals seem to be a great handler but the lower comfort ratings is exactly why I want to get something less sporty for daily use. Some of this information is splitting hairs too.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
that's why All seasons are sometimes called "No seasons"
Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Pirelli P7's on my tsx and I hated them in the wet. I had no confidence driving them in the rain and realized this is probably a safety issue. I've replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S and these things are godly in the rain. I feel like the P7 had a little better dry traction (not much) than the Premiers but the Premiers are really good in the wet. I've never had traction control step in. No matter hot hard I go off the line in the rain. With the p7 TC came in often off the line even in not the most spirited drives.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ipatella
I had Pirelli P7's on my tsx and I hated them in the wet. I had no confidence driving them in the rain and realized this is probably a safety issue. I've replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S and these things are godly in the rain. I feel like the P7 had a little better dry traction (not much) than the Premiers but the Premiers are really good in the wet. I've never had traction control step in. No matter hot hard I go off the line in the rain. With the p7 TC came in often off the line even in not the most spirited drives.
Good to know. Tire Rack did say that if they were going to change anything with the Premiers it would be to give them a slight increase in dry traction.

How do you think they compare in terms of noise and comfort?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I liked the Michelin Premiers that were on my TL when I purchased it. They were surprisingly good in the snow this last winter, even being worn down to about 4/32nd. They have some sort of siping that opens up as it contacts the road. I had to get some Blizzaks when I started driving up in Park City and encountered some deeper unpacked snow. But down in the SL valley the Michelins did just fine.

I didn't end up purchasing new ones when they wore out due to the price and the fact that they aren't very sporty. They're definitely geared toward treadwear and comfort, not so much on performance. If that's what you're looking for though, they're a good choice.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by losiglow
I liked the Michelin Premiers that were on my TL when I purchased it. They were surprisingly good in the snow this last winter, even being worn down to about 4/32nd. They have some sort of siping that opens up as it contacts the road.

I didn't end up purchasing new ones when they wore out due to the price and the fact that they aren't very sporty. They're definitely geared toward treadwear and comfort, not so much on performance. If that's what you're looking for though, they're a good choice.
The way they designed the tread to enlarge rather than narrow as the tire wears is definitely a cool feature.

I am looking for something geared toward comfort but with still a reasonable level of performance, which it sounds like these tires will offer. I currently have the Cooper RS3-As (compare to Continental ExtremeContact DWS) and they have an amazing level of performance for an all season tire, but they also bust your balls over every bump, joint expansion, dip, etc.

I'll likely get a second set of wheels and some summer tires for when I need the added performance.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to know. Tire Rack did say that if they were going to change anything with the Premiers it would be to give them a slight increase in dry traction.

How do you think they compare in terms of noise and comfort?
They're so close in dry traction. I'm not a racecar driver or anything close. But if the p7 was my baseline, I'd say the Premiers drive 95% as well in dry conditions. They're both incredibly comfortable too. I remember noticing instantly when I got my p7's how comfortable they were. The transition from the p7 to the premier was identical in terms of comfort, they are both very comfortable in my opinion.

Search this Thread