feedback/experience with Eibach/Koni Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:14 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
feedback/experience with Eibach/Koni Setup

Hi guys,

anyone had feedback on Eibach springs with Koni Yellow setup?

Do ground control do sleeves for this setup?
Old 07-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Its a good setup overall. The base koni damper is hard to beat for the price.

They're stock length....so don't plan on lowering the car agressively. Meaning...use Eibach prokit springs (NOT sportline), and use the normal perch.

As far as a ground control kit goes...has anyone figured out desirable 2G TSX spring rates a compared to what out-of-the-box Konis will handle? Are you down to do a bunch of experiments to find out?

The prokit springs are soft AF...which means that they use the bumpstops as a helper spring. The dampers are obviously good enough to react to that type of oscillation.

Again...you probably don't want to lower it very much in either case.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 AM
9th Gear

Hi Brolando, thanks for the information.

Definitely not looking at slamming the car (would have gone coilover route if thats the case).

Just prefer how good koni is as i had experienced them back when i had a EM1. Did some research and they are really reliable as well, not prone to leak etc.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vinola
Hi Brolando, thanks for the information.

Definitely not looking at slamming the car (would have gone coilover route if thats the case).

Just prefer how good koni is as i had experienced them back when i had a EM1. Did some research and they are really reliable as well, not prone to leak etc.

They definitely are reliable. I've had them on a few cars...and you'll be hard pressed to find a damper that lasts longer.

On the 1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL application, Eibach Prokit springs seemed to make noises unless they were covered in isolator sleeves. I do not think that is an issue on 2nd gen TSX's...but that may be something to research.

On the topic of coilovers...I am using Tein Street Advance coilovers to improve from the factory ride quality. I have my 2nd gen lowered between 0.5 and 0.75" from stock via custom tophat spacers.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:30 PM
9th Gear

how does the tein street advance ride?

with your custom tophat spacers, meaning you had kept your teins at same height as stock but lowered ?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Safety Car

The ride quality is absolutely better than stock. However...for wagons especially, you're kinda forced into a pretty significant drop on the rear. I turned the perches all the way up and still ended up way too low out back. I have a wagon...so to raise the back up, I used a custom made spacer for the top hat. I just run the front spring all the way up.

Now I am lowered about 0.75 to 1" up front.
And I am lowered about 0.5 to 0.75" out back.

Running the SA at a fairly tall height is key. Lots of travel. Great ride quality.

Last edited by BROlando; 07-07-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
I have the koni/eibach setup. It's been good to me for the past ~year. Great ride quality.

You wouldn't be going wrong. The only downfall would be if you want more adjust-ability since the Koni only gives you rebound adjustment. Some folks find the Koni/Eibachs to be too soft, so it just depends on what you are planning to do. I will say that it is easy for the bumper to catch curbs on the eibachs, like when you are pulling into the grocery parking lot. Probably more so if you go with coilovers (assuming they drop more than the eibachs). I'd take BROlando's advice on running them fairly tall.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 AM
9th Gear

thanks for all the advice guys!

Yes i would run them fairly tall - probably 1-2finger gap would be ideal for me.

With regards to the height setting, i believe there is 2 height setting on the koni yellows? t3hhcaptain - are you able to show a pic of your ride height and which perch you are on front&rear?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by t3hhcaptain
I have the koni/eibach setup. It's been good to me for the past ~year. Great ride quality.

You wouldn't be going wrong. The only downfall would be if you want more adjust-ability since the Koni only gives you rebound adjustment. Some folks find the Koni/Eibachs to be too soft, so it just depends on what you are planning to do. I will say that it is easy for the bumper to catch curbs on the eibachs, like when you are pulling into the grocery parking lot. Probably more so if you go with coilovers (assuming they drop more than the eibachs). I'd take BROlando's advice on running them fairly tall.
I kinda like Koni's rebound-only adjustment for street use. You match it to the spring and go about living your life. Some bump/rebound combination adjusters work well (the ones on my Ohlins work well).

The tein combo adjusters are...aight. There's not enough rebound for too much bump (it seems). And they're finite click adjusters. So you're kinda clicking around a little bit before you find a good compromise. I have my wagon set fairly stiff (-4F and -5R, IIRC) to stop from all the floating around that the Teins are prone to. Some bumps are a *little* crashy, but I can't stand being bobbled around.

Koni has a more "locked down" feel because its a rebound-only adjustment.

For "budget" setups, less is more.

Again...the downside to Konis is travel for lowered cars. The 2G TSX has long legs...but at a 1" drop on stock length shocks, you're likely gonna be bumpstopping a lot. Not a huge deal since the stock bumpstops are progressive and pretty soft. But...still. You're giving up some predictability and comfort.

I still prefer the Tein because I live in the midwest and the Konis would have turned to rust dust in a few years....and because of the simplicity of a pre-engineered system. Not that I couldn't engineer my own. But...trial and error and data collection takes $$.

I'd like to figure out good rates for a Koni/GC setup and use that. And just do something to prevent the konis from rusting to shit.

Or maybe try the Bilstein based H&R street performance setup...also with some attention to rust proofing the idiotic zinc plated bodies.

Last edited by BROlando; 07-07-2017 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cu2wagon (07-09-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
I kinda like Koni's rebound-only adjustment for street use. You match it to the spring and go about living your life. Some bump/rebound combination adjusters work well (the ones on my Ohlins work well).

The tein combo adjusters are...aight. There's not enough rebound for too much bump (it seems). And they're finite click adjusters. So you're kinda clicking around a little bit before you find a good compromise. I have my wagon set fairly stiff (-4F and -5R, IIRC) to stop from all the floating around that the Teins are prone to. Some bumps are a *little* crashy, but I can't stand being bobbled around.

Koni has a more "locked down" feel because its a rebound-only adjustment.

For "budget" setups, less is more.

Again...the downside to Konis is travel for lowered cars. The 2G TSX has long legs...but at a 1" drop on stock length shocks, you're likely gonna be bumpstopping a lot. Not a huge deal since the stock bumpstops are progressive and pretty soft. But...still. You're giving up some predictability and comfort.

I still prefer the Tein because I live in the midwest and the Konis would have turned to rust dust in a few years....and because of the simplicity of a pre-engineered system. Not that I couldn't engineer my own. But...trial and error and data collection takes $$.

I'd like to figure out good rates for a Koni/GC setup and use that. And just do something to prevent the konis from rusting to shit.

Or maybe try the Bilstein based H&R street performance setup...also with some attention to rust proofing the idiotic zinc plated bodies.
Bumpstopping confirmed.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:46 AM
9th Gear

sounds like Koni is the way to go for me as we dont get salt here due to no snow and at the same time i realised european suspension - the way they absorb bumps just feels more "solid" as compared to Japanese (teins/buddyclubs) etc.

I'm also not going too low as i'm over that fully sick slammed life, age is catching up, just wanting a firm suspension that absorbs bumps and not crash over it.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:03 PM
Safety Car

^I think you'll like Konis. They appeal to a very large amount of people.

Though...as far as country of origin....Tein has come a long way in terms of their internal damper design.

I have been infinitely more satisfied with my Teins than my ST (KW) setup.

I am curious as a kitten about the H&R setup, though.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:15 AM
9th Gear

i had kw v3 on my prev golf gti, and passat, hated it.

with too many adjustability, it just never "perfect".

and to be honest, countless adjustments (no matter going hard or soft) it still crashes over bumps.

In my Lexus GS, im running Tein s tech springs with Bilstein shocks, seems like the perfect set of shock&springs combo i can ask for ( if i wanna be picky - i would prefer a slightly stiffer spring ) haha - never satisfied
Old 07-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vinola
i had kw v3 on my prev golf gti, and passat, hated it.

with too many adjustability, it just never "perfect".

and to be honest, countless adjustments (no matter going hard or soft) it still crashes over bumps.

In my Lexus GS, im running Tein s tech springs with Bilstein shocks, seems like the perfect set of shock&springs combo i can ask for ( if i wanna be picky - i would prefer a slightly stiffer spring ) haha - never satisfied
KW's are hit or miss. For most applications, they work better when they're close to stock height. They have to meet those German regulations...so...they can't do much with shock lengths, etc. Unfortunately, their literature is too ambitious and encourages people to slam the car WAY beyond what's good for ride quality.

Too bad they don't make something like a Bilstein PSS9 for TSX's. Good blend of budget and features and quality. I like all that monotube response. Though, I guess twin tubes probably work better for the TSX.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:17 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by BROlando
KW's are hit or miss. For most applications, they work better when they're close to stock height. They have to meet those German regulations...so...they can't do much with shock lengths, etc. Unfortunately, their literature is too ambitious and encourages people to slam the car WAY beyond what's good for ride quality.

Too bad they don't make something like a Bilstein PSS9 for TSX's. Good blend of budget and features and quality. I like all that monotube response. Though, I guess twin tubes probably work better for the TSX.
Spot on!

the way KW are designed, the lower you go, you affect the spring compression
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got a used set of koni yellow foe grabs
and progress lowereing also ...lmk !
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I got a used set of koni yellow for grabs
and progress lowereing also ...lmk !