CU2 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CU2 coilovers

Hi, Im new to the forum and I'm looking to upgrade my suspension.

What are popular coilover brands? I see that Tein is popular. What about K-tuned? Are there any other popular brands?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
It depends on your end results, do you want to "slam", comfort ride, etc. Use the search button. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:33 PM
BANNED

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
only make sense if you want sporty ride
The following users liked this post:
julius071 (03-17-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

I’m just looking for a list of popular aftermarket brands.

A sportier ride would be nice but I think the ride quality is adjustable for most of these coil overs.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
A lot of coilovers offer the option to change how much damping the shock has.

But...that doesn't mean you can "dial in ride quality".

It depends hugely on construction, spring rates, physical limits, and WHERE/at what shock piston speed the damping curve changes, etc etc etc.

Why are you looking for popular brands? Your belief is that most people make sensible decisions? I'd say most people are secretly (or not so secretly) NOT satisfied with their aftermarket suspension ride quality.

What is the point of your search? Perhaps someone can help you if you reveal that.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BROlando
A lot of coilovers offer the option to change how much damping the shock has.

But...that doesn't mean you can "dial in ride quality".

It depends hugely on construction, spring rates, physical limits, and WHERE/at what shock piston speed the damping curve changes, etc etc etc.

Why are you looking for popular brands? Your belief is that most people make sensible decisions? I'd say most people are secretly (or not so secretly) NOT satisfied with their aftermarket suspension ride quality.

What is the point of your search? Perhaps someone can help you if you reveal that.
popular might have been the wrong word to use.
I am just new to the community and I don’t know what brands make shocks for our cars. So I was asking for reputable companies that people like to use. I can search all day long but I don’t know what brands are good.

2010 DD that needs new shocks. I thought it a good time to upgrade to coil overs. Dampener adjustability is just an added benefit but not necessary.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
I went the coil over route but bought some of the cheapest at the time in 2014. Other people on this forum were rocking them and saying they were great but I thought they rode like crap. 3 months of bouncy and noisy suspension so I took them off and went back to lowering springs on my stock shocks. Way more spring travel to smooth out those bumps.

I cant comment on the more expensive coil overs out there though. I have heard they ride much better but I cant confirm personally.

For reference I had Megan EZ street coil overs. At the time they were in the $700 range. Again I took them off after 3 months. None of the settings seemed to work for me.

I love my Tein S tech lowering springs. They lower the car a little over an inch and make it handle corners a lot better. You do trade some of the ride quality and tire noise goes up but its something I'm happy to live with. Fun car to drive.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by riverside

popular might have been the wrong word to use.
I am just new to the community and I don’t know what brands make shocks for our cars. So I was asking for reputable companies that people like to use. I can search all day long but I don’t know what brands are good.

2010 DD that needs new shocks. I thought it a good time to upgrade to coil overs. Dampener adjustability is just an added benefit but not necessary.
There are very few TSX coilovers that work well on the street.

Tein Street Advance work well at tall heights, with the damper turned up fairly "stiff". Otherwise, they ride badly. The soft settings are useless AF.

Koni Yellows work well at tall heights with a lot of different springs...or a GC coilover conversion kit.

I'm not crazy about anything from KW for the prices that they sell them for.

I haven't tried H&R SP's....but Bilstein is a safe bet (they come with Bilstein dampers). Again...tall heights.

Shocks need travel to work. Shocks that allow you to slam the car almost always ride very badly.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Unless they come with an additional external fluid reservoir, at each corner
Old 03-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BROlando
There are very few TSX coilovers that work well on the street.

Tein Street Advance work well at tall heights, with the damper turned up fairly "stiff". Otherwise, they ride badly. The soft settings are useless AF.

Koni Yellows work well at tall heights with a lot of different springs...or a GC coilover conversion kit.

I'm not crazy about anything from KW for the prices that they sell them for.

I haven't tried H&R SP's....but Bilstein is a safe bet (they come with Bilstein dampers). Again...tall heights.

Shocks need travel to work. Shocks that allow you to slam the car almost always ride very badly.
ill check out H&R. I wish bilstein had a setup for us.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by riverside

ill check out H&R. I wish bilstein had a setup for us.

I was looking for Bilstein B14 (PSS) or B16 (PSS9). Unfortunately, no :'(

BUT, as I said...the H&R uses a similar damper as the B14. It has H&R spring rates and the dampers are tuned to that.

If you give them room to work (lower it only a tiny bit), then I'd bet the ride would be great!