2012 TSX Wagon Tires - low road noise

Old 08-16-2017, 07:56 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TSX Wagon Tires - low road noise

First post - new to me 2012 TSX wagon. Love it except the tires. Loud. Poor traction on asphalt when wet. Just not a good tire. Then again, the last 3-4 cars I've bought all had poor OEM tires that I'm kinda surprised companies like Bridgestone or Michelin put their name on them.

Looking for what everyone is using for low road noise tires. Have OEM tires on now and they seem really loud. Have 18K on them, lots of tread left but at this point willing to give them up early if I can find a better ride.

- Most of my driving is interstate (75%+)
- Driving in TN, GA, AL, NC, SC for the most part.
- Winter traction not a worry (have an older Suburban I use for towing and bad weather)
- Would prefer a 50K+ tire
- 20% of driving in back road, twisting, winding.
- 5% city
- Not afraid to spend money, the few inches of rubber on the road can mean the difference between life and death for me and my family. In other words, tires are the last thing I would want to "go cheap" on a car.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Have you checked the alignment? These cars seem to cup the rear tyres; likely because of the rear bumpsteer curve that Honda put in to the suspension. A bad alignment makes this worse. But....even with a good alignment, you may always get some cupping.

Anyway, are you open to summer tyres? Or do you want all seasons?
The following users liked this post:
redbirdone (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 02:42 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by BROlando
Have you checked the alignment? These cars seem to cup the rear tyres; likely because of the rear bumpsteer curve that Honda put in to the suspension. A bad alignment makes this worse. But....even with a good alignment, you may always get some cupping.

Anyway, are you open to summer tyres? Or do you want all seasons?

Have not considered the alignment. Will take it in next week to have it looked at.

Do not want summer only tires, prefer all seasons. My wife's and daughter's cars were both bought CPO with the OEM tires on them in the last few years and they were awful (Bridgestone and Michelin). Got rid of one set by the 20K mark and the other by 25K. Put some real tires (ironically, the one that had the OEM Bridgestone now has Michelin LTX, and the one that had Michelin OEM now has Bridgestone Serenity) on them and it was night and day. Just wondering what tires TSX wagon users lean towards (have the 17" wheels). Shopping online it looks like there's not a whole lot of choices in this size, and they are as much as tires for my suburban!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Safety Car

Bridgestone Serenity + (plus) fits your requirements really well. They're fairly inexpensive and on sale at tire rack right now. Wet traction is good through the tread life. Noise/comfort are improved over the stock tyres. Lifespan is also improved quite a bit over stock.

Pilot Sport A/S 3's are also pretty inexpensive on tire rack at the moment. But they may add a little bit of harshness compared to the Bridgestone. Probably no worse than the awful factory HXMXM4, though.

The Conti DWS06 is a huge favourite. Also well priced.

Look on tirerack. Search by vehicle. Its ripe with choices in the 225/50/17 size.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-17-2017 at 04:55 PM.
redbirdone (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:07 PM
4th Gear

Bridgestone Serenity + (plus) fits your requirements really well. They're fairly inexpensive and on sale at tire rack right now. Wet traction is good through the tread life. Noise/comfort are improved over the stock tyres. Lifespan is also improved quite a bit over stock.

Pilot Sport A/S 3's are also pretty inexpensive on tire rack at the moment. But they may add a little bit of harshness compared to the Bridgestone. Probably no worse than the awful factory HXMXM4, though.

The Conti DWS06 is a huge favourite. Also well priced.

Look on tirerack. Search by vehicle. Its ripe with choices in the 225/50/17 size.
I'm a discount tire guy. Have bought 10+ sets over the last 7 or so years between my car, wife's, and the three kids. Close, convenient, worked with me on some issues in the past, cannot say a bad thing about how I've been treated. They have the serenitys, which I have on one of the girl's Mazda 6. Seem decent. They also have a Yokohama YK740. https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...40-gtx/p/27390

Trying to do some research on the Yokos now.

But right now it looks like the Michelin Premier AS is in the lead. https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...er-a-s/p/19627
Old 08-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Safety Car

Skip the yokos.

Look into the Conti DWS06s more if you're after some amount of performance.
redbirdone (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 05:57 PM
4th Gear

Skip the yokos.

Look into the Conti DWS06s more if you're after some amount of performance.
Thanks for the heads up on these. Getting the Conti tires installed tomorrow at discount tire. Very excited about them, have not run Continentals since I bought a Expedition that had them back in 2007, but never worried about them. $154 each tire. Install is another $19 per. But there is a $70 rebate so I'm looking at about $700 after tax.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Nice!

I use firestone for lifetime alignments and have it checked once or twice a year. Its definitely paid for itself. If you push them for the sale price, I think it ends up at like... $160?

Search this Thread