Please help with replacing my alternator!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 08:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please help with replacing my alternator!

Hello, I am very frustrated after a long day of trying to figure this bullshit out. 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD, not that it matters.

I've taken off the serpentine, disconnected the electrical harness, undone the two bolts and pried the sum-bitch off. Great. Now how in the hell do I get it out of the engine bay? Removing the fan shroud is proving VERY problematic as the bottom two bolts have near ZERO clearance. That little hole in the plastic skid plate ain't doin' no one favors. I can get my 10mm socket on it, but the ratchet has no clearance because there is a line to the radiator in the way. And the other bolt (far right side of the car) is more farther in than Kanye West's ego. Trying to remove the clips on the skid plate is basically a huge WTF because they ain't budgin'.

Please, to the folks who have done this job, help me get past this simple hurdle that could have been easily solved if the Acura engineers had given just half an inch more room.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Reviewing the Factory manual, for their step by step procedure, may shed some light, on your dilemma.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I recall having difficulty removing the fan shroud when I replaced my alternator. I can’t remember exactly how I was able to remove it. But it is possible and you’re on the right track.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
When I changed out my alternator, I believe I used a 10mm ratcheting wrench to give me enough clearance to remove those fan shroud bolts.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-14-2018, 04:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andy Cheng
Hello, I am very frustrated after a long day of trying to figure this bullshit out. 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD, not that it matters.

I've taken off the serpentine, disconnected the electrical harness, undone the two bolts and pried the sum-bitch off. Great. Now how in the hell do I get it out of the engine bay? Removing the fan shroud is proving VERY problematic as the bottom two bolts have near ZERO clearance. That little hole in the plastic skid plate ain't doin' no one favors. I can get my 10mm socket on it, but the ratchet has no clearance because there is a line to the radiator in the way. And the other bolt (far right side of the car) is more farther in than Kanye West's ego. Trying to remove the clips on the skid plate is basically a huge WTF because they ain't budgin'.

Please, to the folks who have done this job, help me get past this simple hurdle that could have been easily solved if the Acura engineers had given just half an inch more room.
update us man!!! lol
Old 07-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 5.4ever

update us man!!! lol
lol that's funny. I had asked a question on a Youtube video on this when I was doing this and the poster helped me out. A few days ago, someone replied to that comment thread saying "Update us man!!"

I actually filmed a video while doing this, I just have to put it together.

Anyway, I had to do what I described in the original post. I first took the plastic skid plate off, prying off a bunch of clips. I'd recommend buying some extra in case you break a few. I couldn't get the whole skid plate off because there was a clip that wouldn't come off in the wheel well so I just ended up bending the skid plate back and resting my head against it to keep it back. The top two bolts of the fan shroud is very easy. The bottom two require a wrench and a small socket and ratchet. The one that needs the wrench is the one closest to the driver side. It's blocked by this metal pipe that I think runs to the radiator, so you can't fit a ratchet there. The other just takes some tight space maneuvering. One you have those off (I recommend leaving the top 2 bolts on so it doesn't come crashing down) all you need to do is disconnect a hose and a wiring harness. The hose is a bitch to take off. The clip that holds it in has a weird design. You basically need to take a thin flat head and insert it in the top of the clip and then twist to pry the plastic "lock" apart. Then you can just set the hose aside. The wiring harness is attached to the fan shroud by a zip tie. I got really frustrated and ended up yanking the fan shroud directly up and it just came lose. After that, it was pretty easy to put everything back in. Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'll gladly help!