check charging system (2009 Acura TL AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I got the dreaded supercharger whine from a bad OEM alternator (no alarms or anything), then replaced it with a Bosch Premium alternator from Pepboys. Now I occasionally get a "check charging system" alarm when I first fire up the car, but it will go away if I shut the car off then turn it back on again.

I wonder if I should get the alternator replaced under warranty.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:16 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check charging system

Only comes on when I brake and in the most parts lowering down gears 25mph.
Rarely running more than 40mph
I put a new battery .
I put new battery terminals.
I put new alternator.
I put new tensioner.
I put new serpentine belt.
Message still comes on.

Am only missing on checking fuses.

I have a 2010 acura TL. Tech
Old 09-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Did you purhase OEM alternator ?
Old 09-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased an aftermarket alternator. I’m still having the problem, it happens more when I come to a stop with the AC off. Surprised nobody has a solution with the car being 2009.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

The alternator is causing the problem. When your idle goes low it’s not putting out enough voltage. The Oem alternator must correct for this. I am glad I found this thread. If and when my alternator dies, I will bite the bullit and go Oem.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:41 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
I got the dreaded supercharger whine from a bad OEM alternator (no alarms or anything), then replaced it with a Bosch Premium alternator from Pepboys. Now I occasionally get a "check charging system" alarm when I first fire up the car, but it will go away if I shut the car off then turn it back on again.

I wonder if I should get the alternator replaced under warranty.
I had the same whine but also had the "Check Charging System Error." Dealer installed a new alternator and serpentine belt and no more errors, the car runs perfectly.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:18 AM
4th Gear

Update on my car.

I installed all OEM parts except the alternator.
I bought the alt at autozone 228$
used it for that week to fins out it wasnt working right.

I was able to take it out and returning the alt getting my money back.
ordered one from the local dealer.
They wanted to charge me 481$
But if I buy it online to pick up at the dealer the price was 380$
Saved 100$ just for ordering online and picking up.
I have a friend there at the dealer and told hik about the problem.
He told me that there is a part inside the aftermarket alternator that breaks in this cars.
that with OEM I shouldnt have any problems
I bought . installed in 25 min
remove ac condenser fan
Remove serpentine belt.
remove tensioner.
Remove alternator
Easy .
Woke up this morning to try it .
I been doing errands all day.
Its working great.
No check charging system.
Feeling happy.
Thanks for all the hints and help.
The following users liked this post:
C-town33 33 (01-05-2020)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for this thread. Now if I ever have this problem, I’ll know to by OEM and not go through all that frustration!
Old 04-04-2019, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Nice to see I'm not the only person with this issue.. I just picked up a 2010 Acura RL under 100k miles. The dealer place I purchased it from installed a (new) Alternator and battery while it was on their lot. Have had the car for almost a month now, it appeared the first week, intermittent, almost wouldn't see it.. But my drives home this week it's been coming on for minutes at a time, disappear, then come back. It'll go away for a few days and come back in force. No whine, no loss of performance, car runs amazing. I'm puzzled, read some threads about this being related to the hands free link / bluetooth? debating if I should take it to an actual Acura dealer and see if there was some shoddy workmanship done with the install. I'll be pissed if I have to sink $$ into an alternator after one was just installed.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 AM
4th Gear

2010 Acura TL 18"tech AT

Originally Posted by LazyAceNS
Nice to see I'm not the only person with this issue.. I just picked up a 2010 Acura RL under 100k miles. The dealer place I purchased it from installed a (new) Alternator and battery while it was on their lot. Have had the car for almost a month now, it appeared the first week, intermittent, almost wouldn't see it.. But my drives home this week it's been coming on for minutes at a time, disappear, then come back. It'll go away for a few days and come back in force. No whine, no loss of performance, car runs amazing. I'm puzzled, read some threads about this being related to the hands free link / bluetooth? debating if I should take it to an actual Acura dealer and see if there was some shoddy workmanship done with the install. I'll be pissed if I have to sink $$ into an alternator after one was just installed.

They might have installed used alternator or aftermarket
Old 08-03-2019, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OhhNoVtec
update: Thanks to Tonywares instructions I went ahead in installed a new alternator. Problem fixed for the indicator being on the dash constantly. After the install of the new alternator as I was driving to work the next day, I noticed when I step on the brakes sometimes the beep would ding and the indicator will come on for a quick second the shut off. This only happens when I step on the brake to come to a stop (sometimes). Does anybody know what the issue could be? Indicator only comes on for a brief second then goes away.
I have been having the same problem with my 2012 tl. I have replaced both alternator and belt and the same problem is happening not everyday.. did u ever find out what it could be.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced

I still have the same problem. Nobody has a solution that I’ve read. The only thing I seen is someone buying the oem alternator and it’s what worked. Mine does it less with the air conditioner on and rarely does it in the winter. I plan on getting an oem one in the future.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

checked all the cables including the alternator cables. Everything looks fine. I am picking up a new belt today to see if it helps. I had the auto store test the battery and alternator to see if there was a problem and everything checked out ok. if the belt doesn't help then I may have to look into the tensioner next.

I've been googleing and cant find anybody having this issue. I am stuck.
Well unfortunately I have been having the same issues with alternators myself. I just changed out my third one within a 6 month period. I have come to the conclusion that my car hates refurbished alternators. I will install an oem alternator later today. I suggest you try the same.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 TL 3.7. Car is running at about ~213k right now, motor replaced 6-8 months ago (89k miles on the replacement). Had this issue also start happening to me - at first it was intermittent, comes on for a period of time, shuts off for a period of time. Now it has been on solid for a couple weeks, but no issues whatsoever with starting or running - sometimes it can be slightly sluggish, but I have had this in the past on a different motor. Other times, she starts up like a champ. Just put a multi on it - 13.5V when off, 14.3V when turned on. If my system were truly not charging, I would of had a dead battery long ago, or experiencing the drain. I do run the A/C a lot right now, (still hot out), and a pair of 15" woofers powered by a 400W amp. So my system is definitely strained in terms of draw.

After reading through this and other threads, has anyone examined whether or not the charge monitoring system might be faulty?

This just feels like a bad sensing circuit, rather than a failing alternator. I have had to replace an alternator before (on previous motor), but that was a quick death in terms of performance. If this is truly an issue, it seems like it is something so small I am questioning if I even do anything at this point. Also, mentioned by others that it seems to go away during the winter months also seems to indicate circuitry that is reaching EOL.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:50 PM
3rd Gear

Just had the same issue to my 2010 TL. Whining and charging light came on. Brought it back to the house and smelled an electrical burning so inshut the engine off. No smoke and smell went away fast. Started engine and the noise and light went away. Can't duplicate the issue, though it's still day one.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Any update with anyone having the same issue? my check charging system still only comes on when it warm outside, when braking. it doesn't do it in the winter when temps are below 35 degrees.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:13 PM
3rd Gear

Any update with anyone having the same issue? my check charging system still only comes on when it warm outside, when braking. it doesn't do it in the winter when temps are below 35 degrees.
So 2 weeks later, my car dies. Bought new battery and car started, but with the charging system light on and the whining sound coming from alternator. A few days later, battery was only at 50%. Bad alternator. Bought OEM alternator and replaced belt while I was at it. Been a month now and light has not come back. Whining sound is gone and battery is charged back at 100%. Battery is at almost 14volts while running (not sure cause my multimeter is analog). Replacing alternator seemed to have fixed the issue.
​​​​​​
Old 02-24-2020, 11:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by C-town33 33
So 2 weeks later, my car dies. Bought new battery and car started, but with the charging system light on and the whining sound coming from alternator. A few days later, battery was only at 50%. Bad alternator. Bought OEM alternator and replaced belt while I was at it. Been a month now and light has not come back. Whining sound is gone and battery is charged back at 100%. Battery is at almost 14volts while running (not sure cause my multimeter is analog). Replacing alternator seemed to have fixed the issue.
​​​​​​

i've had this check charging system for about 2-3 years with no problems other then the ding of the check charging system coming on at almost every stop. its pretty annoying dinging especially with other passengers in the car. i plan on getting a denso remanufactured one when my alternator goes completely out. i was also wondering if it could be the bluetooth module but this only started happening when i changed the alternator out.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear

I'm sure you've checked everything since it has been going on for a few years, but my guess would be a faulty alternator or some slack in tension on the pulley. Pretty basic, but I would triple check the contacts in the connectors are good as well. Does the charge light only come one while A/C is on, whether heat or cool and you stop or is it just stopping period?
Old 02-24-2020, 11:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by C-town33 33
I'm sure you've checked everything since it has been going on for a few years, but my guess would be a faulty alternator or some slack in tension on the pulley. Pretty basic, but I would triple check the contacts in the connectors are good as well. Does the charge light only come one while A/C is on, whether heat or cool and you stop or is it just stopping period?
mostly when stopping. occasionally it will come on when slow coasting. I did notice it comes on less when AC is running maybe only 50 percent of the time when stopping. when the AC is off its about 80 percent of the time. i did change the belt 2 weeks after the alternator was replaced. i also have a new OEM pulley but havent got a chance to install it.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:39 PM
Advanced

update... I changed out my alternator about 3 weeks ago to an OEM remanufactured one. When the temps get to about 50 plus the check charging system would come on when coming to a stop. Since i have changed to an OEM remanufactured Denso alternator it hasn't come back on at all. I would say my problem has been solved. i update this page if it does come back. The fix would be to replace it with an OEM one.