Honda extends the warranty on A/C compressor clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Honda extends the warranty on A/C compressor clutch

Just received the letter today:

American Honda is extending the warranty on the A/C clutch to 7 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first.

The AC on my wife's 07 RDX is indeed a little weak, and has excessive condensed water.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 PM
j swapping mad man.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you please post details. I just tried to search....
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 AM
RDXing

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I got the letter too.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dear MrClemson:

This letter is to notify you of a warranty extension on your RDX.

What is the reason for this notice?
The A/C clutch wears out causing one or more of the following symptoms:
  • The A/C performance is poor and it's blowing air that isn't very cold.
  • The A/C doesn't work and blows warm air.
  • The A/C makes noise that seems to come from the compressor area.
To increase confidence in your vehicle, American Honda is extending the warranty on the A/C clutch to 7 years from the original date of purchase or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

This warranty extension provides converage for the original owner and any subsequent owners. No action is required on your part unless you experience a problem. The warranty extension is valid except for any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded, or similar title under any state's law.

-------

I think that's probably the most relevant information, let me know if you need to know more.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by IntegraType-S
Can you please post details. I just tried to search....
My letter says that only the CLUTCH or FIELD COIL SET (not the exact wording) is covered by the extended warranty, not the COMPRESSOR or other parts. And that secondly, anyone who has already suffered a failure and paid for a repair, can apply to Acura to recover their repair costs. A form was included with my letter, to use to apply to Acura for cost recovery.

And since I have filed away the letter, I do not remember exactly what the letter says, you should carefully read it yourself - because ...

If the compressor fails internally, which is possible after the clutch fails, the compressor will spread metallic parts throughout the entire A/C system, and that will require replacement of the entire A/C system: compressor unit (including clutch and coil), evaporator, condensor, and lines - for a total cost of around $2-3K dollars (not an exaggeration).

I discussed this with my own dealer, the service manager, who told me that if consequential damage occurred because of a A/C clutch or coil failure, that he would replace (under warranty) whatever else was damaged. I really do not know if he would actually do this, or even if he would be allowed to do this, but I believe that he would try. That is probably because I am a consistent customer, and because I purchased my vehicle there.

My personal opinion is that there may be some problem getting more than just the parts specified in the warranty letter to be replaced.

So please be aware if there are problems developing with your A/C cooling, such as noise or not cooling efficiently. That way, you will be aware of and can have the system repaired before a major failure occurs.

I do find it interesting that, based upon the posts on this forum, that in general when the CLUTCH/ COIL set has failed, most often the various dealers have replaced the entire COMPRESSOR unit and not just the CLUTCH or COIL SET. I am wondering how successful those people will be in recovering their repair costs, for a compressor unit or other related parts.

Last edited by dcmodels; 12-19-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I owe a 2008 CR-V with only 70,000 miles on the vehicle. Last week the a/c went out so I called Honda to check out this warranty. They told me that I was a month short of the warranty. I am the second owner (just bought the vehicle in Sept.) and never received a letter or had any idea about the warranty. Does anyone know if there is something I can do about this?
Old 03-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I got back from them:

"Good afternoon Mr. Alan,

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Acura Client Services.

We are sorry to learn of your recent concern regarding the Air Conditioning on your vehicle, and wish to assure you of our interest. We have created and documented your feedback.

The information provided about a service bulletin in your email is regarding American product updates and recalls that are not relevant to Canadian vehicles.

It is important to note that a distributor's warranty is offered with the purchase of the vehicle for 4 years, or 80,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first for any manufacturing defects found. Once the vehicle falls outside of the warranty period, the costs associated to repairing the vehicle remain the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle.

We would be prepared to review your concern further, even though your vehicle is currently outside of the warranty period, however, it does require you obtain a diagnosis from your local authorized Acura Dealer. Once your vehicle is diagnosed, we can then review for the possibility of assisting with a portion of the cost of the repair.

Please contact the undersigned at acura_cr@ch.honda.com, or 1-888-946-6329, extension 3217, once your vehicle has been diagnosed. Further it appears our records are not up to date, so we kindly ask that you provide us your current mailing address so that we may ensure we have your updated information on file, as well as the date you purchased your vehicle.

We thank you again for taking the time to contact Acura Client Services, and allowing us the opportunity to respond.

Yours very truly,

ACURA, a Division of
HONDA CANADA Inc. "