DIY: Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My bad. I should have read thru the entire thread. I see that is has already been mentioned.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg
I see you were using Mobil1 for Truck and SUV. I don't think that oil meets Acura's requirements under the warranty. Look for the Honda/Acura spec on the back of the bottle.
My wife bought that & I didn't notice until I was ready to change the oil. I figured ONE time of REGULAR mobil1 won't hurt that much! I used the regular Mobile 1 after that.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrpba300
My wife bought that & I didn't notice until I was ready to change the oil. I figured ONE time of REGULAR mobil1 won't hurt that much! I used the regular Mobile 1 after that.
I would not worry about it a bit, its all the same crap. Mobil1 marketing department is just diversifying their product line to improve sales figures. I am getting sick of Mobil1 coming up with yet another synthetic oil each year. I remember 10 years ago they only had one type of synthetic oil, now they got at least 4 different types of synthetic oil. rumor has it that they are now working on a high-millage synthetic oil, or better say, designing a new label to put on the bottle, LOL.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
there is only one kind of pennzoil platinum lol...and it sure does say hto-06 on the bottle
Old 09-18-2008, 10:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did an oil change on the RDX, went fairly easy. I think it took me about an hour to finish everything thanks for the DIY
question, where did you guys disposed of the old oil? i still have it sitting on my backyard
Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear

At most dealerships service is a totally different P&L than sales and the promise of ongoing service business will not impact pricing on new car purchasing, though a dealer might use that line to make you feel good. e.g. "We will give you a great deal, Bob, since you are such a great customer" or "This deal is so low you have to promise you will come back for service or we will be going bankrupt on the deal!"

In fact, you are really going to see your best deals as very high volume dealers with dedicated internet sales programs. These programs will have their own policy around what they will sell cars for with margins far lower than normal. In Chicagoland the high volume dealers are selling 09 RDXs for well below invoice.

My advice is that one should never even talk to a car sales person on the phone (little lone visit the dealership) until you have agreed on a selling price, confirmed availability, etc. When you meet the sales person for the first time they should have the sales contract already printed for you and ready to sign!

That approach will truly save you thousands of dollars!

IME.

Originally Posted by MMike1981
In terms of whether its smart economics....dealers know who services their cars with them, come deal time when you think you are going to get another car, guess whose more likely to save another few thousand....not the person they havent seen or heard from in a few years. I like building a relationship at the dealer. U never know when you are going to need a favor.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Instructor

deparson,

I agree w/ you 100%. I did test drive the car, but after that, all communications were via phone or e-mail and I insisted that they have everything printed and ready for me to sign before I came out to the dealership. It was a very easy transaction.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Penzoil synthetic 5qt is $19 at wallmart. $5-6 buks for an oil filter, making it total $26. can't beat that (compare with $90 at the dealer)
Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

I bought my 2007 RDX used with 15,000 miles on it a few months ago and I'm at 15% oil life, so I'm bringing it in to the dealer for my first oil change. It is at about 19,000 miles now.
I am going to have the tires rotated with the oil change. Does anyone have any recommendations for other service I should have done while I have it in? Anything I should have looked at? Diff fluid etc? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Sporty X type

Originally Posted by diggerdave38
I bought my 2007 RDX used with 15,000 miles on it a few months ago and I'm at 15% oil life, so I'm bringing it in to the dealer for my first oil change. It is at about 19,000 miles now.
I am going to have the tires rotated with the oil change. Does anyone have any recommendations for other service I should have done while I have it in? Anything I should have looked at? Diff fluid etc? Thanks!
diggerdave, did you read this thread? It's for DIY oil changes. It so easy to do on the RDX. Besides that, the minder codes on the MID will tell you what's needed. Do a search for other threads & they will tell of the codes that explain what the codes mean!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
diggerdave, did you read this thread? It's for DIY oil changes. It so easy to do on the RDX. Besides that, the minder codes on the MID will tell you what's needed. Do a search for other threads & they will tell of the codes that explain what the codes mean!
If I'm not mistaken, this thread on oil changes is under the heading DIY & FAQ; I was asking a question about oil changes.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Sporty X type

Originally Posted by diggerdave38
If I'm not mistaken, this thread on oil changes is under the heading DIY & FAQ; I was asking a question about oil changes.
Chill man! I was just teasing ya!
I did answer some of your questions, didn't I?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just did my second oil change at 9900 miles. I almost couldn't get the filter off using one of those composite oil wrenches; it kept on slipping. Need to look for a snug metal one. I noticed that this vehicle doesn't really burn oil. I had the 5 qt M1 jug from the last oil change and when I drained the oil into the jug, it is exactly 5 qts!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SinCity
Just did my second oil change at 9900 miles. I almost couldn't get the filter off using one of those composite oil wrenches; it kept on slipping. Need to look for a snug metal one. I noticed that this vehicle doesn't really burn oil. I had the 5 qt M1 jug from the last oil change and when I drained the oil into the jug, it is exactly 5 qts!
I used exact fit oil filter wrench cap. its like $3 at autozone. Works great. I find that I need 5qt and little bit more to make it go to upper dot.
I also put M1 oil filter this time, and don't really like it, it sipped a bit, so I had to tighten it hard with a wrench. Honda OEM was tight seal after hand tighten.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

anyone tried using pureone(puralator) oil filter?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Is the crush washer that you guys mention available elsewhere? My dealer is all the way on the other side of town. Are generics available from an auto parts store that would work just as well?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtrrdx
Is the crush washer that you guys mention available elsewhere? My dealer is all the way on the other side of town. Are generics available from an auto parts store that would work just as well?
Yes, you can get them at auto parts stores.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gtrrdx
You can also get these washers from a Honda dealer, they use the same part number. I think OEM washers is the best choice because they are exact fit, you might not get exactly the same fit from after market.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mau108
there is only one kind of pennzoil platinum lol...and it sure does say hto-06 on the bottle

So I tired it on this oil change and the engine does seem quiter/ smoother, even the wife said something out of the blue about the RDX engine being quiter (it is her daily drive). Plus 3 bucks cheaper then Mobil One. Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Did my first oil and filter change today @ 4,736 miles with 30% showing on MID and 8 months and 5 days since delivery. Easiest oil change I have ever had on any of my vehicles.

Note: To tighten the filter from first contact was only 1/2 turn. This seemed rather strange since my experience is 3/4 turn. Is the stud longer on the RDX?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Mobil1 $10 rebate

Go to mobil1.com web site, and register for a $10 rebate that is good for a purchase of any Mobil1 5 qts (could be in one 5qt walmart jug).
The rebate is good from April1 to October 2009. It says up to 2 rebates per house holds, so you can just buy 2*5qt jugs at wallmart, and get $20 back.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russianDude
Go to mobil1.com web site, and register for a $10 rebate that is good for a purchase of any Mobil1 5 qts (could be in one 5qt walmart jug).
The rebate is good from April1 to October 2009. It says up to 2 rebates per house holds, so you can just buy 2*5qt jugs at wallmart, and get $20 back.
I got an email from Mobil recently and printed out the rebate forms. They pre-filled my info on the forms. I guess it is a marketing gimmick to buy Mobil 1 instead of Pennzoil, or something else. I have two bottles on the shelf now, but with $10 off the next two bottles it's a deal I can't refuse. BTW, what is the shelf life of synthetic oil?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rexorg
I got an email from Mobil recently and printed out the rebate forms. They pre-filled my info on the forms. I guess it is a marketing gimmick to buy Mobil 1 instead of Pennzoil, or something else. I have two bottles on the shelf now, but with $10 off the next two bottles it's a deal I can't refuse. BTW, what is the shelf life of synthetic oil?
Keep in mind that this rebate is only valid for purchases made between April 1 09 and Aug 09. But its better to get rebate form now, they might not do it in april. I assume this is the time when Mobil 1 production will be back to normal.

Yeah... with $23 walmart deal on 5 qts plus the rebate... its an awesome deal.... the only thing the stupid walmart gives receits that don't really say its Mobil1, its just says "Motor oil 5w-30".
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

15400-plm-a01

So I found some good deals on eBay for the A01 oil filter.

Has anyone encounter these oil filters before?! 6.50 for two A01 oil filter seems too good to be true!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I recall...the A01 is the old style filter, but better at the same time. I think the cheaply-built A02 version was created to lessen materials cost for Honda. At least that's what the parts guy at the dealership told me when I noticed the part # changed.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Post HTO-06 Approved Oil List

Great thread, thanks everyone! I'm going to try to give back a little to the DIY group with this list of HTO-06 approved oils. The landscape has changed only a tiny little bit since M1 was the only game in town, but at least there are alternatives now...

I contacted both BP and Ashland about HTO-06 approval for their premium products, Castrol Syntec and Valvoline SynPower, respectively. As of this post, both responded similarly that they have not sought approval but claim their product meets or exceeds all OEM specifications. So YMMV, with these.

Please feel free to add to or correct any info on the list!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Found another HTO-06 approved oil from North of the border.

Petro-Canada Turbo Synthetic 5W-30 PDF Datasheet
Old 02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

System Message Indicator

I am having trouble to take off the sign of System Message Indicator "I". Please advice how I can set the light off.

Thousands of THANK YOU!!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
I am getting ready to do an oil change on my RDX next week. Does the oil drain plug hole have a heli-coil? That is, are there steel insert-threads into the aluminum pan, or is the steel drain plug screwed direct into the aluminum? My Chevy Blazer has steel threads added into the aluminum pan (from the factory). This is nice, as it makes it difficult to strip the threads if the plug is put in a bit tight, and also more difficult to cross-thread the plug. But mostly it helps to keep the steel drain plug from seizing in the aluminum pan threads.

Anyone ever stripped the Acura RDX drain hole threads? Just wondering.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
3rd Gear

Oil change on RDX- low oil pressure light!!!

I usually get my oil changes at the dealership, but thought I would tackle this one myself. I have changed oil hundreds of times in different vehicles, but this RDX sob gave me a fricken heart attack.

I dumped the oil, pulled the filter, filled the new filter, filled the engine. Started the car and the oil pressure light would not come off..... I shut it down, waited for a few minutes thinking the pump needed to reprime itself (grasping...??!!), the started it again and the light still didn't go off... and now it warned me the oil pressure was low!!
Checked the oil, it was above full by a hair, pulled the filter it was NOT getting any oil circulation!??!??... what the hell!

Filled the filter to the point it was overfilling thinking there must be an air pocket.... checked the oil for the hundredth time, and then tried it again.... still NO OIL PRESSURE??

Now I am thinking the oilpump must have somehow failed, and this should set me back about two grand...

Last kick at it before I called the tow truck.... I started it, and reved it up to 3000 RPM, them bang... the oil pressure light came off... went underneath, pulled the filter again, there is circulation,,,,, I have never encountered this ever, and when I get the oil change at the quick lubes, they never ask me to rev the engine.

IMO... there was an air pocket which didn,t break until I stepped on it.... Now it seems fine.

If I need a new engine, I will be sure to follow up with a post.

2007 RDX tech package, 26,000 miles, US unit brought into Canada, average 25.3 MPG
- so far, rear shock leaked out, door speaker fried, right front fog lamp bust (who in thier right mind would put glass lenses !!!!)
Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Cruisin'

I havent seen this being mentioned in this topic but has anyone tried Mobil 1's Extended Performance...? I realize it doesnt have the HTO-06 stamping but I've read elsewhere that the stuff is actually better than the regular Mobil 1s...

any feedback would be greatly appreciated... the stuff costs more so Im thinking if it may be a better synthetic for our engines...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STLBill
On a 3 year lease I cannot justify buying a $250+ torque wrench just to change the oil. You guys must have another reason for these tools or you are planning on using them on other vehicles.

Stinks too, becuase I would enjoy changing my own oil. I used to do it on my American V-8s and know the satisfaction obtained from knowing the work was done right.
Not sure if you have Menard's (hardware store) near you, but I got a torque wrench from there for $30 with an extension. I use it to torque wheel lug nuts, engine oil plugs, re-fastening brackets to the engine if moving things outa the way... etc...
Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Resident Metal Head

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up 10 quarts of Royal Purple and 2 K&N oil filters today. O'reilly's had a deal, 5 quarts of RP and K&N filter for $39.99. It'll be the first for our 2010 RDX. The TSX just hit 83,000 miles.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Instructor

good to know
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Cruisin'

I've got a question for those in Canada. On the Mobil1 bottles there is no mention of HTO-06. I read previously that it was just older packaging that didn't have the HTO-06 on the labels but the brand new bottles still don't have it. If you look at the datasheet on the canadian website, it does not list Honda and is different from the US datasheet pdf.

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-Eng...il_1_5W-30.pdf

Any comments on this. Would I have any problems with warranty issues. The packaging I see at Canadian Tire is the standard Mobil 1 5W30. (for newer cars? or something like that written under it). Not the SUV or extended mileage bottles.

Thanks

Originally Posted by IntegraVT
Great thread, thanks everyone! I'm going to try to give back a little to the DIY group with this list of HTO-06 approved oils. The landscape has changed only a tiny little bit since M1 was the only game in town, but at least there are alternatives now...

I contacted both BP and Ashland about HTO-06 approval for their premium products, Castrol Syntec and Valvoline SynPower, respectively. As of this post, both responded similarly that they have not sought approval but claim their product meets or exceeds all OEM specifications. So YMMV, with these.

Please feel free to add to or correct any info on the list!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Instructor

How about Bosch oil filter? Looks like it's $5 cheaper than the mobile 1
Old 09-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by truelies
How about Bosch oil filter? Looks like it's $5 cheaper than the mobile 1
It's good from what I hear.

A filter's main job is to keep large metal particles out of the internal workings of the engine. Certain micro particles will act like a polishing agents inside the engine so absolute filtration is not nessasary.

The "my filter is best" arguement will exsist as long as people who choose to change their "my oil is best" exsist.

vv check this link out:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/best...ter-37042.html
Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

Just got my oil changed by my mechanic. He bought directly from the dealer Acura Branded synthetic 5W30 HTO-06. Said he didn't want warranty issues and showed me the bottle.

I wonder if it is Mobil 1 relabeled?
Old 11-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zozobar
Just got my oil changed by my mechanic. He bought directly from the dealer Acura Branded synthetic 5W30 HTO-06. Said he didn't want warranty issues and showed me the bottle.

I wonder if it is Mobil 1 relabeled?
Well it won't void your warranty if it came from Honda Acura and meets said specification.

Wouldn't be the first time something Honda sells is rebranded, its not likely Honda has an oil processing/ refinery to produce Honda 10-w30 or 5-w30. Most likely the company is profit-sharing or a contract was made with oil company"x" to produce something to manufacture spec. Our case exxon mobil.

Now here's a scary thought where does all that oil from the dealer go, my paranoid guess is it gets sent to a processing site that filters out large metal particles re conditioned and rebottled but then I think consumers would have to know if the product is a recycled oil, and that would be an obligation of the manufacture or the dealer service point. I remember an express place that shut down after people found that out, as people just quit using that place.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 AM
6th Gear

Hey! I really appreciate this. I personally am all up for changing my own oil. The husband since it is a new car and an Acura wanted to take it in. For the code A12 they were wanting 220. No way are we going to pay that obscene amount for oil change a few filters and a tire rotation. I am used to changing the oil on our Saturn SC1. That gets messy and sucks because it is such a small space. Looking forward to changing this out quick and easy because of your post! Thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY: Oil Change