Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Random Technical Talk

Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,967 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I'll take a look at that, thnx

I want to do fresh install, currently have W7H. Having problems yesterday after installing Elements 10, then DVD tray wouldn't open, from button in front or with selecting eject. Finally used paperclip to open. Things started slowing down. iTunes wouldn't open, wouldn't open when I connected phone. Computer would lock up using different apps. When I put images onto desktop, they wouldn't show on desktop. But when I opened explorer, I could see them.

I restore to a point to over 24 hours before problem and things still running a little slow. Didn't have internet connection after reboot. Rebooted then got connection back. And iTunes still wouldn't open when I connect phone. I rebooted again and finally did. With iTunes showing running in Task Manager but program not opening, during the time. I reboot again tonight and it's connects when I connect phone.

So I'm going on over 18 months, so It's time for fresh install.
also have you tried running anti-malware apps? Malware Bytes, Superantispyware, things of that nature. Malware can do weird sh*t to your computer.

W7 is a pretty strong OS, I'm going on 2.5 years on my desktop with pretty much zero sign of wear or slow-down. I'd guess I'll get at least another 2 years out of it, maybe more.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I have Norton's running, just ran Malware got nothing. No cue as to what happened. Seems like part of the motherboard just shit the bed for some reason. Restore works as it should, but I think I want to do a fresh install w/o Dell's disks. Don't want all that extra bullshit.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah if you can do it from the original W7 disc that would be optimal
Old 11-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,117 Likes on 6,107 Posts
I guarantee you'll learn a few keyboard shortcuts you didn't know before in here

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...eryone_should/
Old 11-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
After seeing the way that Windows Phone sets up meetings, I may need one.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SHoukZpMhDE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The following users liked this post:
#1 STUNNA (12-13-2013)
Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Hey....I got a bunch a Aziners a very well paying job here.....Work is good, we are all making lots, John, Jeff, Daniel, etc are cleaning up. Still busy, need more techs. etc..
Old 11-26-2011, 07:27 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Holy shit that windows phone thing was sad.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Sanest Florida Man

it doesn't use natural language like siri. It's much like the voice commands that were on iOS before Siri that no one used. Craig mundie should've kept his mouth shut.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:48 PM

In other news, Swingers Swap Sex Partners in Prudish Singapore.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Here's a video of the future of MS's TellMe service that they showed back in August before Siri on the 4S was announced. It's got some features that Siri doesn't have, like having a history of what you like and don't like and making recommendations for places based off of what your friends like (much like how Bing search does now).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PR74_TT8lN8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty interesting, rumors are it'll be out in the next big Windows Phone release a year from now.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Sanest Florida Man

much better comparison of the two voice services

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nxVxPyldvsY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Holy schnikees! I just had one of the toughest malware removal cases I've ever had. The thing fucked up everything! It didn't do the usual hide all the files thing, it changed permission of the program folder to read only, blocked any apps from running, deleted registry entries for the firewall, base filtering engine, and security center services. Which fucked up the computer browser and webroot took a shit too. I had to figure all this out and then import the missing registry entries from my PC and then change registry permissions to get the base filtering engine to start the other services.

What's crazy was how not obvious it was that the system was messed up. I discovered it by accident because I was getting a warning that "the audio service is not started" which was a false alarm. But that led me to discover in event viewer that computer browser service wasn't starting and once I installed MSE after removing webroot and it couldn't start the firewall that's when I fell into deeper into the rabbit hole like Alice then I discovered that the firewall, security center and BFE were completely missing from the services list. Mind = Blown.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Hey....I got a bunch a Aziners a very well paying job here.....Work is good, we are all making lots, John, Jeff, Daniel, etc are cleaning up. Still busy, need more techs. etc..
I should start on that again...I got through the phone training and did the first course and passed that test. What should I do next?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Holy schnikees! I just had one of the toughest malware removal cases I've ever had. The thing fucked up everything! It didn't do the usual hide all the files thing, it changed permission of the program folder to read only, blocked any apps from running, deleted registry entries for the firewall, base filtering engine, and security center services. Which fucked up the computer browser and webroot took a shit too. I had to figure all this out and then import the missing registry entries from my PC and then change registry permissions to get the base filtering engine to start the other services.

What's crazy was how not obvious it was that the system was messed up. I discovered it by accident because I was getting a warning that "the audio service is not started" which was a false alarm. But that led me to discover in event viewer that computer browser service wasn't starting and once I installed MSE after removing webroot and it couldn't start the firewall that's when I fell into deeper into the rabbit hole like Alice then I discovered that the firewall, security center and BFE were completely missing from the services list. Mind = Blown.
Currently dealing with this exact same problem again on a different machine! Seems that the Win 7 2012 virus is doing it. Warren have you noticed this?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1824/1/
CES 2012: EVGA SR-X Dual Socket 2011 Motherboard & Power Supplies

<table class="no-border"> <tbody><tr> <td class="no-border">Manufacturer:</td> <td class="no-border">eVGA</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="no-border">Product:</td> <td class="no-border">Various</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="no-border">Date:</td> <td class="no-border">Tue, Jan 10, 2012 - 10:00 AM</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="no-border">Written By:</td> <td class="no-border">Dan Stoltz - dstoltz@legitreviews.com</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="no-border">Share:</td> <td class="no-border"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> EVGA SR-X Dual Intel LGA2011 Motherboard

<center></center> It doesn't seem all that long ago that we were able to get our hands on the EVGA Classified SR-2 motherboard. It featured dual Intel LGA1366 sockets and support for Intel Xeon processors. During our meeting with EVGA this morning, the revealed the successor to the SR-2, the SR-X! The EVGA SR-X is a dual socket LGA2011 motherboard once again for Xeon processors. If you're hoping to use your Intel Sandy Bridge-E processor, unfortunately it won't work with a pair of them due the single QPI design of the Sandy Bridge-E processors.

<center></center> Taking a quick tour around the EVGA SR-X motherboard we can see that the first socket only features four DIMM slots. To the left of the heatsink we can see a single 8pin and a single 6pin CPU power.

<center></center> The second Intel LGA2011 socket features 8 DIMM slots surrounding it, as well as the same CPU power plugs on the right side of the heatsink. Along the top edge of the EVGA SR-X we can see the voltage measure points that allow us to check the various voltages across the EVGA SR-X. The total memory capacity of the EVGA SR-X is 96Gb!

<center></center> Along the bottom of the EVGA SR-X we can see that is equipped with six SATA ports and four SAS ports. Along the bottom edge of the SR-S we can find the usual internal headers for SuperSpeed USB 3.0, USB 2.0, front panel, and everything else we usually find.

<center></center> The EVGA SR-X has a total of 7 PCIe x16 Gen 3 slots and is capable of running Quad SLI! Just above the PCIe x16 slots is a single 6pin power plug to supply extra power to the PCIe slots when running multiple graphics cards.

<center></center> The I/O panel is pretty typical of what we find on most motherboards today. We can see four USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports, Bluetooth, a single PS/2 port, a pair of eSATA ports, optical SPDIF, audio jacks, and a pair of Gigabit LAN ports. We also have a CMOS reset button, and the connector for the EVBot.

Next Page - EVGA 1500 Watt, 1000 Watt, & 750 Watt Power Supplies
Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Nice.. I had a dual socket 754/939 'back in the day'. Now THAT was an odd duck.

My next project is recovering a hard drive. A friend of mine is a musician and lost a lot of data when her iMac went kaput. I took it apart, replaced it with an SSD and carefully/cleanly opened up her old drive. The actuator arm doesn't have the proper amount of travel. So.. I ordered an exactly copy off of Newegg and I'll attempt to transplant the platters.

I'll let you know how that goes. I did it once with success. The key is a CLEAN environment, rubber gloves and NO static.

Last edited by Ken1997TL; 01-10-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Google, Microsoft, Yahoo!, PayPal go after phishers with new e-mail authentication

Major e-mail providers, including Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo! are teaming up with PayPal, Facebook, LinkedIn, and more, to implement a new system for authenticating e-mail senders to try to prevent the sending of fradulent spam and phishing messages.

The protocol that powers e-mail, SMTP, dates back to a more trusting era; a time when the only people who sent you e-mails were people you wanted to send you e-mails. SMTP servers are willing to accept pretty much any e-mail destined for a mailbox they know about (which is, admittedly, an improvement on how things used to be, when they'd accept e-mails even for mailboxes they didn't know about), a fact which spammers and phishers exploit daily.

Making any fundamental changes to SMTP itself is nigh impossible; there are too many e-mail servers, and they all have to interoperate with each other, an insurmountable hurdle for any major change. So what we're left with is all manner of additional systems that are designed to give SMTP servers a bit more information about the person sending the e-mail, so that they can judge whether or not they really want to accept the message.

The two main systems in use today are called SPF (Sender Policy Framework) and DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail). Both systems use DNS to publish extra information about the e-mail sender's domain. SPF tells the receiving server which outgoing servers are allowed to send mail for a given domain; if the receiving server receives mail from a server not on the list, it should assume that the mail is fraudulent. DKIM embeds a cryptographic signature to e-mail messages and an indication of which DNS entry to examine. The receiving server can then look up the DNS entry and use the data it finds to verify the signature.

These systems are not perfect; though both are used widely, they haven't been adopted universally. This means that some legitimate mail will arrive that doesn't have SPF or DKIM DNS entries, and so mail servers can't depend on its presence. Common legitimate operations can also break them; many mailing list programs add footers to messages, which will cause rejection by DKIM, and forwarding e-mails causes rejection by SPF. As a result, failing one or other test is not a good reason to reject a message.

These systems also make it hard to diagnose misconfigurations; receiving servers will typically just swallow or ignore mails sent by systems with bad SPF or DKIM configurations.

The large group of companies, which includes the biggest Web mail servers and some of the most common corporate victims of phishing attempts, is proposing a new scheme, DMARC ("Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance"), in an attempt to tackle these problems. DMARC fills some of the gaps in SPF and DKIM, making them more trustworthy.

DMARC's position within the mail receipt process
www.dmarc.org

DMARC is based on work done by PayPal in conjunction with Yahoo!, and later extended to Gmail. This initial work resulted in a substantial reduction in the number of PayPal phishing attempts seen by users of those mail providers, and DMARC is an attempt to extend that to more organizations. As with SPF and DKIM, DMARC depends on storing extra information about the sender in DNS. This information tells receiving mail servers how to handle messages that fail the SPF or DKIM tests, and how critical the two tests are. The sender can tell recipient servers to reject messages that fail SPF and DKIM outright, to quarantine them somehow (for example, putting them into a spam folder), or to accept the mail normally and send a report of the failure back to the sender.

In turn, this makes SPF and DKIM much safer for organizations to deploy. They can start with the "notification" mode, confident that no mail will be lost if they have made a mistake, and use the information learned to repair any errors. DMARC also allows recipients to know if a domain should be using SPF and DKIM in the first place.

Without a global rollout, DMARC can't solve all phishing and spam problems. The companies that have signed up to support the project include major recipients of phishing attempts—the various free e-mail providers—and sites against which phishing attacks are regularly made. Mail sent between the organizations will be verified using the SPF/DKIM/DMARC trifecta. Anyone using the major mail providers and the major services should see a substantial reduction in fraudulent mail. Senders and recipients who want to receive similar protection can implement DMARC themselves by following the specification that the DMARC group is working on.

Given the constraints imposed by SMTP, we may never get an e-mail system that is entirely free of malicious and annoying junk. SMTP e-mail was never designed to be trustworthy, and systems like SPF and DKIM are constrained by the inadequacies of SMTP's design. Nonetheless, mechanisms such as DMARC can still make a big difference, and with the support of these major companies, e-mail might get that little bit safer.
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...ion-effort.ars

I think this went live today on yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc. MS said that they'll be releasing updates for exchange and server to support DMARC later in the year so you can add this at your own company.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Hopefully it works better then Sender ID.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:42 PM
I've got spurs...

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does anyone know of a decent free program that displays your HDD's current read/write and seek speeds?

My netbook has become obnoxiously slow lately. Start up and launching programs takes forever. For instance, it took 30 seconds to launch Firefox yesterday. Malwarebytes and Spybot returned nothing. The processor stays at around 50% during launch and there is plenty of free RAM. As such, I'm guessing it's the HDD that's killing me. Drive is regularly defraged as well so that's not the problem. Thanks in advance! If you have an idea as to what it could be otherwise, let me know!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM
nnInn

I'd say time for a fresh install, use CCleaner.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Lightus
Does anyone know of a decent free program that displays your HDD's current read/write and seek speeds?

My netbook has become obnoxiously slow lately. Start up and launching programs takes forever. For instance, it took 30 seconds to launch Firefox yesterday. Malwarebytes and Spybot returned nothing. The processor stays at around 50% during launch and there is plenty of free RAM. As such, I'm guessing it's the HDD that's killing me. Drive is regularly defraged as well so that's not the problem. Thanks in advance! If you have an idea as to what it could be otherwise, let me know!
http://www.hdtune.com/
The following users liked this post:
Lightus (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I've got spurs...

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I'd say time for a fresh install, use CCleaner.
I have software on there given through school. In order to reinstall it I'd have to contact whoever is in charge of software licensing at my school. No thanks, haha.

I do use CCleaner, but doesn't help much. The netbook is pretty old, I'm just trying to avoid replacing it for as long as I can.

Thanks! I'll give it a go when I get the chance.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

wow. this looks sick. anyone have one?

http://www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-p...pa-ip4-blk.htm
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Hard disk drive prices are expected to fall by around 10 percent this time next month, according to industry sources speaking to DigiTimes. The price of HDDs has been abnormally high following widespread flooding in Thailand last October, which caused a severe shortage in supply as production lines were destroyed by water damage. Western Digital's factories were directly affected, causing its prices to rise by 47 percent, and a number of suppliers to Seagate were also hit as its CEO Steve Luczo described back in November.

While a return to the pricing of a year ago is unlikely due to rising costs of production, it's still comforting to hear that supply is predicted to pre-flood levels of around 175 million units per quarter by Q3 this year. However, this contradicts earlier reports that Seagate expects supply to remain well below demand for the rest of 2012 as its suppliers struggle to recover.

I've noticed prices dropping lately and my 1.5TB drives only have about 100GB left so I'm looking into getting dual 3TBs, trying to hold out as long as I can. 3TBs can be had for $200/ea right now which isn't that bad but I'm gonna wait as long as I can.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/30/29...012-price-drop
Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 PM
nnInn

SCrew HDD, what about SSD??
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 AM
Sanest Florida Man

I hate uninstalling AVG through add/remove programs (programs and features) because the uninstaller that comes with AVG sucks ass, it usually doesn't work most of the time and leaves you with half the program still running after restart!

Thankfully they have a special uninstaller on their website that's worked properly the two times I've tried it. Not sure why it doesn't come with AVG, I hate AVG more and more everyday....

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Sanest Florida Man

This is how my night went!!!

L3jNz.jpg

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

iPod touch 4th gen with shattered screen and torn volume/power cable

Def the most delicate difficult repair I've ever done and I'm not getting paid! I'm never doing this again!

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 04-30-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

The 7th Guest is free today for iOS and mac from the app/mac store.
The 7th Guest Infection is also free for iOS.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Holy shit I remember that from when I was in high school! That's crazy that it runs on the iphone now. It was the most advanced thing I could run on my 486 DX2 50MHz with 1x CD-ROM drive and Sound Blaster!
Well, that and Myst.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Team Owner

Getting it to run correctly on that old hardware was the first puzzle of the game.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

yikes. time to do something, Sony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18030939
Sony shares tumble to 31-year low amid record losses

Sony president Kazuo Hirai Newly appointed president Kazuo Hirai will have to tackle a host of issues at Sony

Sony shares have tumbled to a 31-year low, a day after the company reported a record annual loss of 456.7bn yen ($5.7bn; £3.5bn).

Sony shares fell as much as 6.7% to 1,132 yen on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

The firm, which has been making a loss for each of the past four years, has forecast that it will return to profit in the current financial year.

However, analysts said that investors were not convinced the firm would be able to achieve that target.

"Sony is facing a lot of difficulties and the new president has not been able to produce a clear plan as to how he will turn around the company," Yuuki Sakurai of Fukoku Capital Management told the BBC.

"Even the little that investors have heard, they are not very impressed with."
'Remains at risk'

The Japanese electronics maker has been hit by a spate of issues in recent times.

Its TV business, one of its biggest growth drivers in the past, has been hit hard by increased competition and falling prices. The division has been making losses for eight years in a row.

The company has also lost ground to rivals in the gaming and mobile phone business.

Analysts say the firm has also been lagging behind in innovation and product development, which are key to growth in the consumer electronics sector.

To make matters worse, Sony has had to deal with rising costs and a strong Japanese currency which have also hurt its earnings.

Earlier this year, the newly elected president and chief executive, Kazuo Hirai, announced that the firm would cut 10,000 jobs as part of a major reorganisation.

However, analysts warned that despite the restructuring plan, a falling market share in key segments may continue to hurt Sony.

"On the whole, [Sony] remains at risk of ongoing losses in its cellular application and TV businesses, and we continue to see little prospect of a rise in valuations for the time being," Credit Suisse analysts Yuan Tian and Shunsuke Tsuchiya said in a client note.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 05-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Yours? I'd like to know how the A/V switching is handled.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I just spent 90 mins diagnosing Windows Update errors. Come to find much later after getting started that the guy had had a virus a long ways back and it had hidden files and changed some to read only. But it was so long ago that most of his documents weren't hidden, I thought for a while that he was hiding only some of them on purpose.

So ends up the virus had hidden files and set the softwaredistribution folder (folder windows update uses) to read only which basically stopped all updates from working but this was back in January so he hadn't installed updates in almost a year and wasn't sure why. I was trying all sorts of things to fix it, if the dood would've told me about the virus I would've run "attrib -r -h /s /d" a long time ago and be done with it. Oh well

note: attrib -r -h /s /d command removes read only and hidden attributes from all files, folders and subfolders except for system files. you want to run as admin from cmd prompt at the root folder like c:\>attrib -r -h /s /d It's what you use to get hidden files back to normal after malware fucks your shit up.
Whenever I get someone's PC that is actin' all goofy I always pull the drive and install it into an external Esata enclosure. Power up machine, turn on drive after loggin in and scan it. that resolves the issue with dem dere viruses Sometimes I will bave to clean up the user account after the nation of viruses are removed but in the end it's golden.

I also fix craploads of TVs on the side........stupid made in Chinar Crapacitors......
Old 05-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by doopstr
Yours? I'd like to know how the A/V switching is handled.

in other news, I've been formatting a 2TB partition on a 3TB drive since 11:45AM today..... it's at 25% complete right now, after 6 hours........ is that right????? Guess I'll have to leave it running overnight....
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Lol! Cancel that and do the quick formatting option. No need to do the long version anymore
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

I always went by, if the drive has never been formatted before, to not use Quick Format.... per Microsoft... and I sure don't want to cut corners and take an easy route on such a large drive...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

I can't remember the last time that I have done a long format, new drive or not.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Let us know when it's done......in a couple days...

Quick Reply: Random Technical Talk