Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Microsoft: Windows 10 News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,115 Likes on 6,106 Posts
adding flac audio support too

Old 12-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Windows 10 Release set for Fall, 2015

That's the latest rumor/fact:

http://windowsitpro.com/paul-thurrot...lips-fall-2015

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-11-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Well, that sucks.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't really think it does. I'd rather they take the time and get it right than release another turd like Vista. At this point, I'm not really in a position where I need an updated version of Windows on any of my (too) many machines. From what I'm seeing on the Surface Pro I like 10 and will probably migrate my desktop from 7 to 10 if the free upgrade thing pans out.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by litesout
I don't really think it does. I'd rather they take the time and get it right than release another turd like Vista. At this point, I'm not really in a position where I need an updated version of Windows on any of my (too) many machines. From what I'm seeing on the Surface Pro I like 10 and will probably migrate my desktop from 7 to 10 if the free upgrade thing pans out.
MS is losing customers fast. They need to fix it.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Whiskers
MS is losing customers fast....
Link?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Go Giants

I must speak to 2-5 a week who are switching to Mac from Windows.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Agreed, 8 is a fiasco of Vista proportions but it is at least (for me anyway) reliable. I haven't really run into any bugs that aren't actual poorly implemented features. Couldn't say that about Vista, and I can't really say that about 10 at this point. Once they work them out, I think it'll be a stellar OS.

PC is losing market share to Mac. There are articles about it all over the web. I don't think they're going anywhere though. By and large, a Windows PC is cheaper than a Mac by a large margin. That's not to say that Mac's aren't expensive for a reason, but for the majority of consumers price, not features or specs, is the single largest deciding factor when purchasing a new computer.

Windows hits the skids, Mac OS X on the rise ? The Register
Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
I just switched to MAC.

And then loaded windows on it...
Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
I just switched to MAC.

And then loaded windows on it...
So did Ford....
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
So did Ford....

QNX to the rescue...
Old 12-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Race Director

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...merous-changes

but read this before you jump:

http://www.neowin.net/news/installin...r-update-cycle
Old 12-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Windows 10 going to ship with two browsers? IE and Spartan
Windows 10 will reportedly come with a new, lighter web browser
Internet Explorer has been a cornerstone of Windows ever since 1995, but it looks like Microsoft is ready to leave its venerable (if sometimes infamous) web browser by the wayside. ZDNet understands that a previously rumored overhaul to Internet Explorer for Windows 10, nicknamed Spartan, is actually a brand new creation. It would still use the company's own web engines, but it would be far more "light-weight" and, if you believe earlier leaks, behave more like Chrome or Firefox. The break is reportedly sharp enough that the future Windows version will keep Internet Explorer 11 around in case you need it for certain apps or features.
Microsoft hasn't confirmed anything, and there aren't any guarantees that it'll reveal Spartan when we attend its Windows 10 event on January 21st. However, the folks in Redmond have plenty of incentives to ditch their legacy work. There will be versions of Spartan for both desktop and mobile users, so efficiency is important. Also, Microsoft has considered dropping the IE name solely to escape the browser's old reputation as an insecure, non-standard mess -- new software might help people shake those awful memories. If nothing else, a fresh browser would acknowledge that Google and Mozilla have accomplished a lot through their rapid-fire upgrade cycles.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I have W8.1 on my tablet and I hate it.

The dual worlds thing just don't work.

Most Metro Apps are mediocre and the traditional desktop environment doesn't allow to zoom in or out.

Add to this numerous problems of drivers and weely crash. Good thing that my Dell was relatively cheap. I find incredible the prices asked for Surface 3 Pro!

Will W10 keep the Metro and Desktop environments as W8.1?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Go Giants

Yes they still have both.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Sanest Florida Man

It's rumored the desktop is going away on the non Intel tablets.

I think the desktop was only kept around in RT because there wasn't a metro version of office ready. Metro office should be ready by the time 10 is out. They've showed off prerelease versions for a while now.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Race Director

Windows 10 event streaming live now:

Windows 10: The Next Chapter
Old 01-21-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Old 01-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7, and 8.1 user for the first year
Old 01-21-2015, 11:38 AM

So a subscription for windows???
Old 01-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Sanest Florida Man

NO moran. It's free to upgrade for the first year after windows 10 becomes available. After that if you want to upgrade there will be the usual cost of purchasing the software.

They're giving away Windows 10 for everyone (except XP, Vista users) for one year, get it within the first year and it won't cost you anything.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Windows 10 for phone is looking really nice!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 AM

I was reading articles that said it was going to be a subscription. asshole
Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Links to said articles?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Team Owner

Damn straight it needs to be a free upgrade. Thanks Apple.

I tried watching that Windows 10 event. That guy is so damn uninteresting. Just give me my start menu back and STFU.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Go Giants

yay free.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Team Owner

for the first year
Windows as a service
Sounds like subscription to me. They would really have to be complete morons though. How do I explain to my in-laws why Windows is suddenly demanding $9.99? Office 365 seems to be catching on though.

Last edited by doopstr; 01-21-2015 at 02:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Race Director

Let's see some links. asshole

Originally Posted by doopstr
Sounds like subscription to me. They would really have to be complete morons though. How do I explain to my in-laws why Windows is suddenly demanding $9.99? Office 365 seems to be catching on though.
A quick Google search could have saved you some time...

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-10_Null_01

Last edited by nfnsquared; 01-21-2015 at 02:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nfnsquared:
doopstr (01-21-2015), Mizouse (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Sanest Florida Man

The 9 biggest announcements from Microsoft's Windows 10 event | The Verge
We got our first look at a bunch of features in Windows 10, which comes out next week for people who signed up for the pre-release. As expected, Microsoft made a strong push toward connecting its devices more seamlessly, part of its universal apps program. Office, Outlook, and other apps all work quite similarly across devices, and Cortana is everywhere, working as a natural-language interface and personal assistant. The big surprise, however, was Microsoft’s foray into virtual reality, with its HoloLens glasses, an ambitious bid to create a system for overlaying holographic images over the real world.

The core of Windows 10, unveiled

New look, old start menu
After the sea change that was Windows 8, Microsoft is still trying to make an operating system that will work on both mobile devices and PCs. Beyond purely visual changes like reworked desktop icons, Windows 10’s start menu will now expand to a full-screen view that looks like Windows 8.1’s home screen. A new Android-style Action Center provides quick access to Wi-Fi options, Bluetooth, and other settings — and the settings menus themselves should be cleaned up and easier to use. It’s another effort to keep the best features of desktop Windows while adapting to touchscreens. A new feature called Continuum, in fact, is designed specifically for convertible devices, switching almost instantly from a mouse and keyboard to a tablet screen. It obviously works pretty well on the stage, but so far, we haven’t seen more than early testing builds.

Desktop on your phone
Windows 8 was a desktop / tablet compromise, but Windows 10 is going even further: it’s for phones, too. There’s a build of it tailored to devices smaller than 8 inches, which reorganizes the interface to look a lot more like the old Windows Phone operating system. True to Microsoft’s unified vision, notifications will sync between PC and phone, and Microsoft-owned service Skype will integrate into the messaging app. One of Windows Phone’s fatal flaws, of course, was that it didn’t work well (or at all) with other major apps like Instagram or Gmail. But with a heavier focus on universal apps, and an assurance that this isn’t just "Windows Phone" but actual Windows, it’s possible Microsoft will be in better shape this time around.

Cortana on your desktop
Cortana, Microsoft’s personal digital assistant, is coming to the PC. Long available on mobile, Cortana will now live next to the start button on the task bar and serve as a natural-language interface for Windows 10. It will answer spoken or typed queries, searching documents across local documents as well as ones stored on OneDrive. It will also propose web links and other suggestions — if you type Skype, for example, it or link to the store if you haven’t installed it already. Cortana will also be integrated into the new Maps app, reminding you where you parked your car. Cortana will also be proactive, popping up notifications it thinks you’ll be interested in — tracking flights, stocks, sports, and other it’s either learned or you’ve entered manually into its notebook.

New apps everywhere

Want to run PowerPoint from a phone?
Microsoft demonstrated its vision for getting all its Windows 10 PCs, tablets, and phones to work well together. First up was the unified Office, the phone and tablet versions of which look very similar to the desktop one. Most of the same formatting options are there, and the recent documents list syncs between devices, so you can collaborate on documents on the go. Microsoft ran a Powerpoint presentation from a phone and said you could wirelessly print documents from mobile as well. It’s a different strategy from Apple, which has designed distinct software for iOS and OSX for different devices. Microsoft built the full Word engine into the universal Outlook app. It has iOS-like swiping interface for deleting and flagging messages. The PC version looks similar and a lot cleaner than the current Mail client. Photos will upload to OneDrive, and the photo app will aggregate pictures from all devices, remove duplicates and clutter, and organize them automatically into albums.

Internet Explorer is over. Say hello to Project Spartan
As we saw in some leaks earlier this month, Windows is replacing the much-maligned Internet Explorer with a new browser codenamed Project Spartan, designed for Windows 10. It’s a cleaner browser with a lot of shiny new features and integration with other Microsoft services. There’s a "note-taking mode" that lets you draw all over pages with a stylus or add comments with a keyboard, then save the results on OneNote. A clean "reading mode" does what you might expect: it formats a page like a book and adds a syncable reading list that’s basically "Pocket for Microsoft" or Safari’s page-saving feature. And like just about everything else Microsoft announced today, Spartan has Cortana built into it, contextually recognizing information like restaurants or plane flights and offering extra information.

A bigger role for OneDrive
It didn’t get a distinct announcement, but OneDrive was everywhere in Microsoft’s presentation. It formed the backbone of its unified apps, allowing documents to sync across devices. Belfiore also teased a larger role for OneDrive in photos and music: Music, for example, will sync between devices using OneDrive. There weren’t many details, but Joe Belfiore said the feature would be added in "a month or two."

Your PC is now your Xbox
Microsoft owns a vast majority of the computer gaming market. It owns a substantial portion of the console gaming market. So why was its now-defunct PC gaming network, Games for Windows Live, so horrible? Hopefully Microsoft has figured this out, because it’s now announced an Xbox app for launch on every Windows 10 machine. The app brings over Xbox One features like your messages, friends list, and activity feed. You’ll be able to chat with people on Xbox Live and view console achievements and videos from your desktop, as well as record your own clips on PC.
From this first look, it seems a lot like an expanded version of Microsoft’s SmartGlass mobile app. But more excitingly, you can actually stream games from your Xbox One — it’s roughly comparable to Sony streaming games from the PlayStation 4 to the Vita, except that instead of a mobile console, you could stream Xbox games to a Windows tablet like the Surface.

Hardware got weird

Microsoft made a giant touchscreen TV
Microsoft announced the Surface Hub, an 84-inch 4K screen meant for the workplace. It has cameras, speakers, mics, Bluetooth, NFC, and a touchscreen interface meant for a stylus. The idea is that you can have meetings, with members, appearing via Skype, and draw on the screen, with your work shared between everyone’s devices. It's Microsoft's latest iteration of the large-scale multitouch technology from Perceptive Pixel, a research company it acquired in 2012.

Microsoft's virtual reality headset is here — and it's augmented reality
The most shockingly ambitious, unexpected, and bizarrely sci-fi announcement of the event was Microsoft's foray into augmented reality. The Microsoft HoloLens is a see-through visor that overlays holographic imagery over the real world. The video showed architects walking through building renders, plumbers drawing instructions onto faucets remotely, and someone playing Minecraft on tabletops. Also possibly a virtual dog. Alex Kipman, who worked on Kinect, described it as the future of technology, art, and everything.

It’s powered by a new processor, what Kipman called a holographic processing unit. It’s equipped with sensors to detect the real world and gestures of the user, as well as holographic sound. It has no wires and doesn’t need to connect to phones or PCs. Holographic APIs are built into all Windows 10 devices, and Kipman invited developers of Magic Leap, Glass, and Oculus to come work with it. He said it would be "available in the Windows 10 timeframe."
Old 01-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Old 01-21-2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Let's see some links. asshole

A quick Google search could have saved you some time...

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.

Windows 10 - Microsoft Windows
Well there you go, everything else I read was just wrong then.
Damn google news
Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm liking everything I read about Windows 10 so far.

And...bring on HoloLens!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Sanest Florida Man

The next technical preview update with some of the features discussed this week is available.

The continuum feature is now available to try on your SP3 Whiskers
Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Thinking about putting it on my laptop now...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Will WP 10 run on a Nokia 810? I am going to find out :p
Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Race Director

^^^^ subbed for the brick report
Old 01-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
well it currently runs WP 8.1 with no problems so I am guessing 10 will behave similarly.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Go Giants

Runs nice on Bootcamp for me - Hangs here and there, but looks nice.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Team Owner

Has anyone checked out the Windows Server Technical Preview?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Whiskers

Runs nice on Bootcamp for me - Hangs here and there, but looks nice.
Where are your porn shortcuts?

A roll up to this build has already been released...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 01-24-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Microsoft: Windows 10 News and Discussion Thread