Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Anyone own a smartwatch?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Finally got my LG G Watch R and its exceeded all my expectations of a smart watch so far! This thing is a lot better looking than it is in pictures. Battery life has been amazing so far. I'm on pace for 2 days after some mid-heavy usage. I am not using the "Always On" feature of Android Wear and am currently using a custom Facer watch which people say tends to drain 15-20% more than the stock watchfaces on the watch. Luckily, Android Wear 2.0 will allow devs to install the watches directly onto the watch instead of having it run from a connected device. Here are some pics:

Battery life in the 1 1/2 days I've had it. As you can see I'm at 39% after a few reboots trying to install the new straps. This should last me one full day more...:

bFfTLR3.png

Don't mind the battery gap at the beginning as I didn't install the app until I was around 70% which was 24-30 hours into it being unplugged. I was also playing with a bunch of watch faces and getting familiar with the phone so the drain is kinda of an anomaly. In any case, my day 1 full usage used up about 40%. I get a few texts and emails throughout the day and I use my hands a lot so a lot of false wake ups probably attributing to 2% battery drain per hour. Still not bad at all considering Android Wear 2.0 will increase battery life!

Suit Watchface (one of the many stock faces on the LG G Watch R)

MHYDecb.jpg

Stock Watch Strap removed with the push pin: This is easier to get out with a Watch Spring Bar tool -
Amazon.com: Spring Bar Tool Set - 5in., 7 Pc: Watches Amazon.com: Spring Bar Tool Set - 5in., 7 Pc: Watches

mhn1qUO.jpg

The new 22mm Tan Watch Strap courtesy of StrapsCo (it was installed upside down but I have since fixed it. ):

I66elkE.jpg 57cv43B.jpg

My current Facer watchface and will be my daily driver:

lx2PoXy.jpg ln6w1ja.jpg RCmFPxX.jpg

Link for 22mm Strap:

Amazon.com: StrapsCo Thick Tan Leather Watch Strap with White Stitching size 22mm: Watches Amazon.com: StrapsCo Thick Tan Leather Watch Strap with White Stitching size 22mm: Watches

They have many more colors and I think I may get a few more in time.

I haven't unlocked the bootloader and rooted this yet. Supposedly if you install a custom kernel it may increase battery life just a tad bit more. Thinking about doing it eventually but I want to test this thing out a little more on stock.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-04-2014 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (12-05-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
very nice, if I had an Android phone I would be onboard.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Sony SW2 Black Smartwatch 2 $80 shipped

Sony SW2 Black Smartwatch 2 - Rakuten.com
Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Team Owner

Android Wear's massive update: Official watch face API, new display modes, app features and more! | Android Central

Android 5.0 will hit watches in an OTA update

Google today has announced a major update to Android Wear, bringing some long-awaited official functionality to its smartwatches — and a host of new features to go along with them.

Oh, and Android 5.0 is coming soon to your watch.

There's a lot going on here, folks, and updates will arrive in their usual staggered fashion. The big strokes are official support for third-party watch faces, a new Android Wear app, and software all around.

Let's break it down.

First up are watch faces. We've been awaiting an official watch face API for months — you'll recall how Google basically suggested folks hold off on making custom watch faces as standalone apps, which of course loads of developers ignored. Today marks the announcement of the official Android Wear watch face API. And along with it comes a new section of the Google Play Store dedicated to Android Wear watch faces. (Which, lo and behold, you'll download "just like you do with apps," Google says. Go figure.)

Google has a bunch of watch faces ready to go at launch, including some from RedBull, Pac Man, Plants vs. Zombies, Santa Racker, The Hundreds, Despicable Me, Craig Ward, Porsche, Rebecca Minkoff and more.

See all of the new Android Wear watch faces in Google Play

A new Android Wear app also is on the way along with the update to the Android Wear platform itself. And that's going to bring a number of new features. It'll make browsing, installing and switching watch faces "really easy," Google says. Noted improvements include:
•The ability to bring a card back when you accidentally dismiss it. (We've all been there.)
•Recently used actions will float to the top of the list when you tap on the watch face. That should help alleviate the need for third-party app launchers on a watch.
•A new mode that lets you change some of the settings by swiping down from the top of the screen. (Currently that lets you mute the watch and see the date and battery percentage.)
•A theater mode for turning the screen off and muting vibrations.
•A sunlight mode for maximum brightness. (And probably minimal battery life.)
•It'll be easier to block app notifications — you'll now be able to do so from your watch.
•See how apps affect battery usage and storage from within the Android Wear app.

And that's just for starters, of course. We'll break things down feature by feature as the updates roll out, so stay tuned!
Old 12-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Probably going to pick up a Moto360 after the holiday. I have been looking around at various ones for a while and I just like the look of that one better than the rest.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Some serious promise there. I really wish I could find somewhere that has the Asus Zenwatch in stock. Best Buy carries it on their web site, but not in stores. At least none near me. If its as nice as it looks in pictures, this update will push me over the edge to get it.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 AM
Team Owner

I checked Miami area and the same thing. But it seems like it's only for shipping nationwide.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:24 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,407 Posts
so, here in Canada, no one's selling the G Watch R, at least not yet... You can only buy it online from sellers in other countries (like directly from Korea)... They are still going for around $300 USD, which equates to about $350 CAD... There's a guy in Craigslist that's selling his, swears that he only wore it for about an hour (I guess he just doesn't like it), so it's practically in new condition... He's asking $300 CAD, which is about $260USD... What do you guys think? I currently have the Samsung Gear 2 Neo and I'm very happy with it, but I DO want MORE... I like the ability (with the GWR) to just say "Okay Google" and it wakes up and does whatever... I like the better looking (sporty) design... but just not sure if I should pull the trigger on this right now... (I was considering the Samsung Gear S, but it's going for $400 at the store and there's the 12% tax! Plus, after seeing it in person, while the screen is nice, it's a bit on the feminine side IMO )
Old 12-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I am in love with the G Watch R. Even before seeing the recent Azine user with the brown leather strap. That is gorgeous and I would love a smart watch so looks like the G Watch R gets my money!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

This would be my second choice.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by litesout
Some serious promise there. I really wish I could find somewhere that has the Asus Zenwatch in stock. Best Buy carries it on their web site, but not in stores. At least none near me. If its as nice as it looks in pictures, this update will push me over the edge to get it.
The Zen Watch looks nice. I thought about it as well but the G Watch R and the Sony Watch were on my top 2 with the 360 at 3rd after handling it in person and the battery was a turn off for me. I'm getting about 2 1/2 days of batter with my G Watch R easily right now just for comparison.

Originally Posted by is300eater
so, here in Canada, no one's selling the G Watch R, at least not yet... You can only buy it online from sellers in other countries (like directly from Korea)... They are still going for around $300 USD, which equates to about $350 CAD... There's a guy in Craigslist that's selling his, swears that he only wore it for about an hour (I guess he just doesn't like it), so it's practically in new condition... He's asking $300 CAD, which is about $260USD... What do you guys think? I currently have the Samsung Gear 2 Neo and I'm very happy with it, but I DO want MORE... I like the ability (with the GWR) to just say "Okay Google" and it wakes up and does whatever... I like the better looking (sporty) design... but just not sure if I should pull the trigger on this right now... (I was considering the Samsung Gear S, but it's going for $400 at the store and there's the 12% tax! Plus, after seeing it in person, while the screen is nice, it's a bit on the feminine side IMO )
The Gear S and Android Wear watches do different things at the moment so it depends on what you need...For Android Wear watches, the screen has to be on in some form for you to say "Ok Google". There are many ways this can be done: tap the screen with one finger, tilt the phone to screen on, or press the button on the side on the watches that have them. The Android Wear watches are mainly a complement to your phone notifications so that you don't have to pull your phone out and be able to respond to texts, e-mail, etc. The Gear Watch try to do everything your phone does but IMO doesn't do any of them well...I'm also biased but I love my G Watch R.

Originally Posted by usdmJON
This would be my second choice.
That looks really nice. Definitely check out StrapsCo if you do decide to buy a strap. They actually gave me a coupon for sending them a pic of my G Watch R with the Tan band and their customer service has been top notch so far. I placed another order for a Brown strap and StrapsCo gave me a more expensive strap because they were out of stock of the one I wanted for the same price! The Brown, Rust, and Tan colors go great with the G Watch R.

Last edited by CGFebTSX04; 12-13-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

I got the update on Thursday and Theater Mode is awesome. On the G Watch R, it can be activated by double tapping the toggle. This prevents the accidental tilt to turn on the screen when driving or when I don't want my texts to go through. I do wish though that they enabled the double tap to wake like they did on the regular G Watch but oh well. Also the new Faces that they recommend are working great. As far as battery, it's a little too early to tell right now but I'm getting close to the same as before the update so that's a good sign.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Safety Car

Got my new Bentley Brown Band:

Dassari Bentley Italian Leather Hand Stitched Mens Watch Strap Band FOR Panerai | eBay

Its a little bit more subtle than the Tan strap but it looks nice and fits more snugly around my wrist than the Tan one. Gonna use it for the next couple of days and decide which one I'll keep using. Here are some pics:

Bentley Brown Strap on LG G Watch R:
iMzpway.jpg ieb7CDX.jpg

Scuba Watch Face in Active Display Mode:
ekDcwuW.jpg

Always On Screen Mode (Pixels move ever so slightly to prevent burn-in. Also uses minimal battery because of AMOLED Screen on G Watch R):
ZpmjHJ5.jpg

Here it is in full spread next to the Tan Strap:
a1REPcW.jpg

Here's my typical battery life:
hZJEkqD.png
^This was the weekend with my typical usage, Always On Display turned off. Watch was taken off charger 7:30 PM Friday evening with mid average use (On my wrist while driving, with about 45 minutes of listening to music), Saturday mid heavy use (a bunch of texts, phone calls, emails, and walking) and heavy usage on Sunday evening (Google Maps with navigation for a few minutes, lots of texts, emails, listening to music for about 45 minutes, and 1-2 hours of walking around the mall). As you can see, there's still 23% after 50 hours off the charger with an estimated 15 hours left...

One of the notifications when its your birthday:
hucQkyX.jpg
Old 12-17-2014, 09:59 PM
I shoot people

Picked up the LG GWR and I dunno, maybe the update took up a lot of juice (I'm hoping that's the case) but it's at 50% and I've literally had it for only about 1.5 hours
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Picked up the LG GWR and I dunno, maybe the update took up a lot of juice (I'm hoping that's the case) but it's at 50% and I've literally had it for only about 1.5 hours
The update took at least 20-30% of my battery after installing it and my watch was super hot during and a few minutes after the install. It was on my wrist while installing...Definitely not doing that again in future updates. Lol. It could also be a bad battery calibration. Just cycle your battery a few times and it should normalize.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 AM
I shoot people

so, I'm pretty happy with the voice to text capabilities, however, my wife's name is Dianna, spelled with two n's (NOT Diana), and when I tell it to "text Dianna" it thinks I'm saying Diana and doesn't know who I'm talking about... Anyone know if there's a way around this? I refuse to change my wife's name in my contacts because that's one of her biggest pet peeves, when people spell her name with one "n"

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
The update took at least 20-30% of my battery after installing it and my watch was super hot during and a few minutes after the install. It was on my wrist while installing...Definitely not doing that again in future updates. Lol. It could also be a bad battery calibration. Just cycle your battery a few times and it should normalize.

so, my first full day with the LG GWR and the battery isn't as bad, but still seems like it would only last me a day at most
Old 12-19-2014, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

I know spell check after a while learns names in the sense of double or single letters.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Safety Car

so, I'm pretty happy with the voice to text capabilities, however, my wife's name is Dianna, spelled with two n's (NOT Diana), and when I tell it to "text Dianna" it thinks I'm saying Diana and doesn't know who I'm talking about... Anyone know if there's a way around this? I refuse to change my wife's name in my contacts because that's one of her biggest pet peeves, when people spell her name with one "n"

Add a relationship or even phonetic in Google Contacts.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/4584610?hl=en

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/06/10/tip-add-a-phonetic-name-to-contacts-voice-recognition-just-cant-get-right/

so, my first full day with the LG GWR and the battery isn't as bad, but still seems like it would only last me a day at most
Just like every device, you have to get a few charge cycles in. Also reboot your phone and watch so they can sync up properly after the update.
is300eater (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Looking to purchase a G Watch R... any good sites with deals?
Old 12-27-2014, 12:17 PM
I shoot people

Does the G Watch R go into "theater mode" automatically when it senses that you're at a theater? Because, I saw a movie yesterday and afterwards, I noticed my watch wouldn't wake up upon raising my arm, turned out it was in theater mode
Old 12-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Does the G Watch R go into "theater mode" automatically when it senses that you're at a theater? Because, I saw a movie yesterday and afterwards, I noticed my watch wouldn't wake up upon raising my arm, turned out it was in theater mode
No. Although that would be pretty cool (need a beacon type of thing).
I noticed on the moto360 forums that people would accidentally turn it on sometimes. I think double pressing the button turns on theater mode.

- Frank
is300eater (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Finally picked up a moto360. I would have gotten a G Watch R if they had made a stainless one but not a huge fan of black watches. So far I am really liking it a lot. It is nice to not always need to pull my phone out of my pocket especially since the N6 does not come out of my pocket well when sitting.

So far I have been getting 12-16hrs of battery life with always on screen mode. I am sure it will be even better once I start playing around with it less and just using it for updates and such.

Now I just need to order a grey leather band for it cause I don't like the tan one as much as I thought I would.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts

Jason got a Moto 360 too. I had the black rimmed 360 and replaced the band with a stainless steel black band. It looks slick! Been getting compliments left and right about this watch.

I also get around 12-16 hours, but find that I just use it in Theater Mode, just to save the battery. If I use Theater Mode, I can usually get more hours of usage out of it since I just use it to check my steps and the time.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:27 PM
I shoot people

....so, I know I've already said this, but my GWR keeps going into Theater Mode by itself... it's kinda annoying
Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Finally got my G Watch R. Got the new band on and replaced the silver buckle it came with for a black Noxin buckle. Matches much better.

For those that didn't catch that; it is just a Nixon buckle.

I brought the watch into get the strap put on and ask if he had any black buckles.
For only $8 he put the new straps on and included the black Nixon buckle. I walked out happy.

Last edited by usdmJON; 01-07-2015 at 02:04 PM.
CGFebTSX04 (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

I love how quickly and easily I can edit any watch face on Facer and WatchPro or whatever the second one is called. Each were $1. Big deal. I have 10 good faces to choose from; Tag, Bell and Ross, Breitling, Tudor, AP, Hublot, Blancpain, etc.
The bell and ross are my favorite. The one I have pictures and these 2 are the main faces I will be using.

In the first pic you can see I edited the face and hands mint green. In the bottom pics they were white when I first found the face.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

^Yeah. I'm having so much fun just grabbing all the different watch faces out there its becoming an addiction checking the websites for them. I already have close to 100 just for me to switch between! The Google+ Facer and WatchMaker Pro communities have some good looking faces that often get taken down from the websites. Also so far, WatchMaker Pro is much better than Facer right now. The bonus is that it works on Facer and Watchmaker files unlike Facer.

The LG Watch R looks awesome with the Ingersoll watch faces, Nixons, Bell & Ross and pretty much all the standard circular looking ones. I wish I had the time and the know how to create my own faces but the community is doing a pretty damn good job fulfilling watchfaces requests.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Safety Car

Did you guys also see the new Audi/LG G Watch. I think it looks nice.

v6PbFRj.jpg

Update: We have confirmation from LG that this is an LG watch made for Audi, running a variation of Android Wear. LG is working on a webOS based wearable, but this is unrelated.

At the Audi press conference at CES 2015 today, Audi hailed a series of partnerships with leading tech firms including LG, Samsung Display and NVIDIA as the carmaker unveiled new Android Wear-supported in-car systems. But the press conference wasn't call cars — Audi board member Ulrich Hackenberg kicked things off by summoning an Audi Prologue onto the stage using a mystery smartwatch.

The technology to integrate wearables with Audi's in-car systems was developed in partnership with LG, company execs revealed on-stage, however the model Hackenberg was wearing — a premium wearable with a leather strap — didn't match any design we're familiar with. The device appeared to be running an Android Wear-like interface, with an Audi watch face and additional options accessed by swiping right. The watch's three-button setup also differentiates it from current Android Wear offerings.

It's unclear at present whether this device is a future consumer LG smartwatch, or simply a one-off designed for this Audi demo. We're currently tracking down more info on this mystery wearable, and we'll update this story as more details become available.

Regardless, this is certainly one of the classiest smartwatches we've come across.
Audi/LG partnership yields mystery Android Wear smartwatch [updated] | Android Central
Old 01-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Safety Car

This is currently my favorite watch face right now:

uIYJp2y.jpg

Its the Oris Pro Pilot watch face. Love how simple and elegant it looks on this watch.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

USDM Jon, that looks great!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Here's my Moto 360. Replaced the leather band with a steel band. Love it.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Team Owner

Damn that strap is tits.

Audi watch? Dude the electronics will get fucked on that!
97BlackAckCL (01-12-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Go Giants

It runs WEBOS
Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I think my work spouse got me the Moto 360 for christmas, although it hasnt been delivered yet.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,112 Likes on 6,104 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
It runs WEBOS

Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Go Giants

Looks terrible
Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Did you guys also see the new Audi/LG G Watch. I think it looks nice.

Audi/LG partnership yields mystery Android Wear smartwatch [updated] | Android Central
Saw it, love it, might have to wait and see if it actually comes to fruition. If the price is reasonable, it may keep me away from the Zen Watch.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I cant find the Panerai or U-Boat faces I've seen on forums. Really wish I could.
I did find this U-Boat and 2 others.

Here is my current face in the lit and dim mode.

The large second hand is only active while the face is lit up.
The 12oclock subdial is another second hand which normally is a timer on the actually U-Boat I believe and a date window at 9oclock.
The 3oclock subdial shows battery life and the 6oclock shows a 24 hour counter.
All working.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Holy carp, I want one
Old 01-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Anyone use a third party SMS app?

I noticed with hangouts, my GWR vibrates to notify me. But Textra doesn't.

Quick Reply: Anyone own a smartwatch?