Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do any of yall have an HTC Hero (Sprint)? I just got one recently, I'm completely lost as to which rom to install after rooting.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
I also read that the HTC Aria ability to side load apps got pulled.
I've got the older version of Sync that lets you sideload if you need it. I hope AT&T didn't convince them to pull it, if so that's BS on HTC's part for giving in. I know apple fights them tooth and nail over iPhone functionality. At any rate there are still multiple ways you can sideload even with the stock ROM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by instinctellekt
Do any of yall have an HTC Hero (Sprint)? I just got one recently, I'm completely lost as to which rom to install after rooting.
Does it already have a custom recovery? (I'm assuming yes since its part of the rooting process).

I'm not too familiar with what custom ROMs are available for the Hero but from the stable ones would be the Eclair ROMs (2.1). The unstable ones with new features would be the Froyo ROMs (2.2) like Cyanogenmod 6. Each ROM will differ with whatever the devs put in so you'll have to read what people are saying about them and try them out yourself.

Like I said earlier, its very difficult to brick your phone trying to flash a custom ROM. You can always make a nandroid backup of your current ROM and restore it real quickly. Nandroid basically does a backup of the whole system image. Do a nandroid when trying out new ROMs should anything go wrong.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Safety Car

Apparently there was a secret code hidden (I didn't see it lol.) in the Droid X Video trailer I posted up earlier that leads you to the complete commercial on the DroidDoes website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiaRA...layer_embedded
Source: http://phandroid.com/2010/07/16/unlo...droiddoes-com/
Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Looks like the Nexus One is not going to be sold by Google anymore online.

http://googlenexusoneboard.blogspot....hanges-in.html

And AT&T just pulled off another bait and switch. The Captivate's unsubsidized price is now $499 instead of the $349 the reps kept saying it was. I guess it was too good to be true. Some people were able to get them for $299 and $349, however yesteday. So they got lucky unless AT&T somehow charges them for the price difference via service fees or something. I'm sure they'll find a way. Guess I'll be looking at the European Galaxy S if I'm gonna be paying that price.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Maybe Jobszilla said so
Old 07-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04
Looks like the Nexus One is not going to be sold by Google anymore online.

http://googlenexusoneboard.blogspot....hanges-in.html

And AT&T just pulled off another bait and switch. The Captivate's unsubsidized price is now $499 instead of the $349 the reps kept saying it was. I guess it was too good to be true. Some people were able to get them for $299 and $349, however yesteday. So they got lucky unless AT&T somehow charges them for the price difference via service fees or something. I'm sure they'll find a way. Guess I'll be looking at the European Galaxy S if I'm gonna be paying that price.
Look like the ebay price of an unlocked nexus one is about to go way up. They were already going for like $450-$550.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Hitler's reaction to the new unsubsidized price for the Samsung Captivate:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xe2j8q"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xe2j8q" width="480" height="360" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object>

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe2...new-captiv_fun

These videos never get old.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Here's a good review of the Captivate and the Vibrant (Samsung Galaxy S variants) from CNN:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/07/...att-captivate/

Screen:
This the the best screen I've seen on a phone, period. That's coming from someone who has been using an iPhone 4's Retina Display for the past few weeks. Sure there are more pixels on the iPhone 4 (most of which I can't see) but the Galaxy's much larger four-inch, Super AMOLED display more than makes up for the lacking pixels. If you have any doubts, check out the Avatar video that T-Mobile includes with their phone. Not one person I've shown this to hasn't been blown away (expletives abound).

Overall:
If you can look past the (fixable?) GPS issue and the other small annoyances of the Samsung/Carrier Android software overlays, this is an incredible phone. The screen, weight and form factor is the best available in any phone right now, bar none. The camera doesn't have a Flash and doesn't face forward but is otherwise right up there with the best as well. The OS is a skinned (for better or worse) Android 2.1 with Froyo coming soon.
They also have some vids of the phone in action compared to other phones. Looks like they're getting good reviews all around.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Team Owner

I'm scared of Sammy with the Impression that I have although it's the top of the line dumbphone. However I had to get it replaced once for a dead touch screen and it happened again as I was giong to use it for hard work and the touch was dead again.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Here's a good review of the Captivate and the Vibrant (Samsung Galaxy S variants) from CNN:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/07/...att-captivate/

They also have some vids of the phone in action compared to other phones. Looks like they're getting good reviews all around.
The poor GPS signal on the Sammy Galaxy phones would be a deal-killer for me... my Pre already does me wrong on GPS, esp when I am in a pinch!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 PM

I'm scared of Sammy with the Impression that I have although it's the top of the line dumbphone. However I had to get it replaced once for a dead touch screen and it happened again as I was giong to use it for hard work and the touch was dead again.
...anything that happens more than ONCE, makes you want to 86 your phone... you just figure they had worked all that out already, but thats what happens when you FIGURE...
Old 07-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

And the GPS never worked on mine.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM

And the GPS never worked on mine.
....maybe itz a Sammy thing...crazy, the things that go wrong with these phones... maybe we just asking too much... but they cost so much... I wanna get my money's worth!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM

the Hitler vid was so funny...

...two peeps at work have the Evo... both got the WHITE one @ BB! Just found out... lucky dogs!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Supposedly, Samsung knows about the GPS and is issuing a fix in the next firmware update. The people at XDA made a fix already. lol. Gotta love open source:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728894

Oh and Wesgarner has decided to pick up development for the phone so we may see Cyanogenmod on the phone sooner than expected. And the good thing is, the ROMs should be interchangeable with all Galaxy S phones with slight modifications. At least, thats the theory. We shall see in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cyanogen released a nightly build for the Evo. There are still some issues that need to be worked out but i think it will be probably another week or so before an official release is out. check it out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=729367
Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Supposedly, Samsung knows about the GPS and is issuing a fix in the next firmware update. The people at XDA made a fix already. lol. Gotta love open source:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728894

Oh and Wesgarner has decided to pick up development for the phone so we may see Cyanogenmod on the phone sooner than expected. And the good thing is, the ROMs should be interchangeable with all Galaxy S phones with slight modifications. At least, thats the theory. We shall see in the next couple of weeks.
open source FTW! I am always encouraged when I hear a fix is already in place!

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
cyanogen released a nightly build for the Evo. There are still some issues that need to be worked out but i think it will be probably another week or so before an official release is out. check it out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=729367
Wow...thats a sick link... some super smart peeps on there! I am almost afraid to go over to the EVO page... this is how it is described...LOL:

"There is another thread in general evo discussion and it has like 140 pages and growing and there is a lot of mess."
Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Safety Car

Yeah. Those devs move fast. The Cyanogenmod on my phone is pretty stable. I've been using it since last week and I think its better than his Eclair build and its not even final yet. lol.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 PM

I just joined xda-developers.com so I could see a pic of a custom prototype CLEAR battery cover door for teh EVO... pretty cool idea, since the inside of the back of the phone is red...

this is the link, but I think you have to be a member to see the pic... one of the members is doing a custom mold at his job and then will produce them for others... they are talkin about doing one for the Aria b/c it has a yellow battery area...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...721211&page=10

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 07-19-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Yeah. Those devs move fast. The Cyanogenmod on my phone is pretty stable. I've been using it since last week and I think its better than his Eclair build and its not even final yet. lol.
woah..that dev site is crazy!

I feel like I am in a foreign land...

That final build is gonna be da sickness! I mentioned modding a phone to some peeps and their brains just shut down... I was like LOL... I was trying to mod my HTC TP1, but it became so unstable, that I had to bring it back to stock... winmo was such a waste of my time...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL

That final build is gonna be da sickness! I mentioned modding a phone to some peeps and their brains just shut down... I was like LOL... I was trying to mod my HTC TP1, but it became so unstable, that I had to bring it back to stock... winmo was such a waste of my time...
lol. Yeah, There's a lot of smart guys at XDA. Its basically HTC haven. Anything HTC related they've modded. Modding the Evo is a little easier than the other phones because they made a four click rooting and custom recovery process thats automated so you don't have to manually type in commands. Thats usually the hardest part in the modding process because there's a risk of bricking the phone. Once you have root and the custom recovery you can flash away by dragging and dropping files into the SD Card.

Cyanogen is trying to incorporate a lot of new features that the he and his group coded into the ROMs like the extra bluetooth HID support. His builds actually have some cool new features that aren't found in the original Google code. Can't wait for his stable build, should be a little bit faster than whats out now.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Team Owner

One step closer to android. My 3GS doesn't get signal after the latest update.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM
1st TL-S on air in

i spend hours on xda-dev and google to try understand the language. That site has everything phone related.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

i spend hours on xda-dev and google to try understand the language. That site has everything phone related.
lol. Yeah the only complaint I have with XDA is that its not noob friendly. If you find the right Wikis and Tutorials though, it makes it a lot more bearable. The commands are the same thing over and over after a while.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news for those who have the SERO plans on Sprint and have been hesitant to switch to the ERP or anytime 450 plans and up, Sprint will now allow smartphones to be put on the SERO plans starting on Oct 1st, I just confirmed the information with a employee account representative on the phone. The gimmick or what now is that if you have a $30 SERO plan, you will be charged $10 for the premium data or 4G, plus a $10 charge for Sprint TV ect. so a total of $50, which is $20 or $30 less than what you would pay by switching to the newer plans, so it is pretty fair, and a pretty good day for those who waited and kept the SERO plan. I just switched off my SERO almost a month ago, I still have 30 days to return my phone, But the rep said there is a note on my account that they will switch me back to the SERO plan on Oct 1st. If you are within your 30 days, and had a SERO plan, i would call and make sure you are able to get back on it to save some money, sorry if this post was in the wrong place, but i know there are several SERO plan holders who would like to know about this.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I seriously doubt that as SERO plans are being discontinued. This is per the Sprint forums.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM

I don't even have an android phone yet and I got hyped at their site... I am really wanting to get into this next level of phone modification... ... I have to find an EVO 1st if I wanna buy one...

lol. Yeah the only complaint I have with XDA is that its not noob friendly. If you find the right Wikis and Tutorials though, it makes it a lot more bearable. The commands are the same thing over and over after a while.
Yeah, I had to jump around alot to find what I was looking for and the wikis were not online for a while while I was there... but I am older than the internet, so I wont complain!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:08 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by 03Type--S
Great news for those who have the SERO plans on Sprint and have been hesitant to switch to the ERP or anytime 450 plans and up, Sprint will now allow smartphones to be put on the SERO plans starting on Oct 1st, I just confirmed the information with a employee account representative on the phone. The gimmick or what now is that if you have a $30 SERO plan, you will be charged $10 for the premium data or 4G, plus a $10 charge for Sprint TV ect. so a total of $50, which is $20 or $30 less than what you would pay by switching to the newer plans, so it is pretty fair, and a pretty good day for those who waited and kept the SERO plan. I just switched off my SERO almost a month ago, I still have 30 days to return my phone, But the rep said there is a note on my account that they will switch me back to the SERO plan on Oct 1st. If you are within your 30 days, and had a SERO plan, i would call and make sure you are able to get back on it to save some money, sorry if this post was in the wrong place, but i know there are several SERO plan holders who would like to know about this.
I still make out better with my family data plan. Right now i have 4 phones on my plan and it is $129.99 for 1600 mins. The first two phones are free than $40 for the two additional phones, plus $40 for the mandatory 4g for all 4 evos. Than the taxes and all the crap but i do have 23% corp. discount. So it is still cheaper for me to go this route than to go with individual plans. I can see how this would save money for individual plans or those without a big discount. What i wanna know is how are some guys getting stack able discounts. Here is a thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75318
Old 07-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
I seriously doubt that as SERO plans are being discontinued. This is per the Sprint forums.
I am gonna ask Big Chico over at sprintusers.com.. I will hollar back.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM

I still make out better with my family data plan. Right now i have 4 phones on my plan and it is $129.99 for 1600 mins. The first two phones are free than $40 for the two additional phones, plus $40 for the mandatory 4g for all 4 evos. Than the taxes and all the crap but i do have 23% corp. discount. So it is still cheaper for me to go this route than to go with individual plans. I can see how this would save money for individual plans or those without a big discount. What i wanna know is how are some guys getting stack able discounts. Here is a thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75318
huh, every where I have looked, Sprint Reps keep saying that stackable discounts are a No No, so they must know something none of us do... but having someone on the inside might allow for this... I know peeps who have gotten years of free cell service just by who, not what they knew...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

with you, thats why I kept my fam plan istead of going to a sero plan... i am adding a 5th line pretty soon for my business
Old 07-20-2010, 07:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFUxJJ-bn20

On this vid, the guy shows linpack numbers between 31 and 37... then somebody posted this...as a youtube comment..

"Thats actually pretty weak linpack results. I get between 43 and 47 mflops running AVAs rom with sense. I expect the final CM6 will have better results"

...if the EVO benchmarks at about 8 mflops out of the box, and these are getting into the 40's... my Pre must be pretty slow... ... I am enlightened!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 PM
1st TL-S on air in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFUxJJ-bn20

On this vid, the guy shows linpack numbers between 31 and 37... then somebody posted this...as a youtube comment..

"Thats actually pretty weak linpack results. I get between 43 and 47 mflops running AVAs rom with sense. I expect the final CM6 will have better results"

...if the EVO benchmarks at about 8 mflops out of the box, and these are getting into the 40's... my Pre must be pretty slow... ... I am enlightened!
Not only that but cm6 is also pushing the limit on video as well. I know he is shooting for 60fps but even with 45fps that is still awesome for a phone. Its about time that these phones are starting to catch up with technology
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Safety Car

Yeah a linpack of 37 is pretty low for Froyo with that phone. It should be averaging at least 40+ easily. This is all due to the JIT in Froyo. However, the jump from 8 MFLOPS to 40+ MFLOPS won't be that drastic in normal everyday use. The phone will just respond better and faster overall but not 5-6x. lol. Its noticeable though.

Also, note that CM usually builds the stable builds. Now, imagine the tweaks that other devs will add later after he finishes the stable build. It'll probably get 50-60 MFLOPS easily with the overclock kernels and probably even better battery life with the underclock kernels.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

My Linpack score is 4 somethin.... I even DL'd advanced task killer just to kill all my background stuff from running during the benchmark...weak.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 PM

Just pulled this off XDA... Idiot proof root guide... just what I need... with screen shots and all!

[TUTORIAL] IDIOT-PROOF Root Guide! NAND Unlock and ADB Update!!

Question: have any of you used this specific method?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=701004

Which came from here:

HTC EVO helpful/popular threads (Look here First!)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=701245
Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
My Linpack score is 4 somethin.... I even DL'd advanced task killer just to kill all my background stuff from running during the benchmark...weak.
LOL.. then my Pre is prob running at 0.0000000004 then!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Just pulled this off XDA... Idiot proof root guide... just what I need... with screen shots and all!

[TUTORIAL] IDIOT-PROOF Root Guide! NAND Unlock and ADB Update!!

Question: have any of you used this specific method?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=701004

Which came from here:

HTC EVO helpful/popular threads (Look here First!)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=701245
Looks straightforward. I love that they even drew arrows on the pics

Here's some big news for anyone on AT&T or any other carrier that won't let you sideload apps:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sidelo...wonder-machine

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzs_1DeSgWI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzs_1DeSgWI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Safety Car

Wow. That was a very thorough guide. lol. Props to that guy for taking time out to explain it all with labels and pictures. lol.

That sideloading app is pretty cool. Very user friendly. It looks like a batch script with a GUI.

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread