Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…

Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:58 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Like does it say too many cards open when one is open and I'm hoping the battery power is at least a little better....you'd think they'd fix that by now, Apple has done a phenomenal job.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so far screen resolution on this evo is awesome it is a little upgrade from the tp2 but the size is big upgrade. I do have problems with sending text as the letters get mixed up when typing but i am looking for an app that will have a bigger keyboard display. 4g here is awesome. But battery life seems to be the issue now. I am looking for an app that will kill all the apps when closed out as this should help save some battery life. So far i am still learning this phone but in a few weeks i should be pretty comfortable to hack the android software and get things moving a little better.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
I'm faded, been doing surgery all day. 3 day weekend FTW! Anyhoo, this phone is pretty damn sick. After going through the whole manual, the Evo is leaps ahead of the Pre IMO. First, there's not all the random glitches I experienced with the Pre like the screen freezing, buttons not working, the screen getting all loopy when I was using my finger to scroll.

Vas, I haven't figured out how to run multiple cards yet. If I'm texting, I can't tap on the icon to minimize it and then pull up the phone icon to make a voice call.

I loaded Epocrates for my pharmacopia and SplashID. So far so good. I loaded Pandora and am running trance, it is phenomenal without all the pauses I experienced with the Pre.

I was watching youtube last night and the 4G seemed to go in and out, not sure if this is a function of my home since I live in town. At work it's all 4G all the time.

The visual moving wallpaper is so tits, the home screen background is this bright green cosmic motif that moves like smoke. Feels like I'm dosing LOL.

The voice dialing function actually works! Click on the icon and say "Call Surf" and it dials up Surf News Network! It works for "Call Mom" but not for "Call Jeremiah" hehe instead I get prompts to "Call John Larry." Maybe I need to enunciate better?

Synced well with my gmail acount. I personalized news settings so I get the latest stories from USA Today and ESPN.

I really like the customizable home screens. The Evo offers 6 home screens that you can scroll from right to left so you can have your Agenda on one, Interweb on another, etc. I am only able to put 8 shortcuts on the lower 1/2 of the main home page since I have a big digital clock, date, and weather on the upper 1/2.

I like the Menu button and ^button, intuitive for different Apps. The Android market has a gazillion apps, it will take me weeks to sift through all of them.

I have big fingers so using the touchscreen QWERTY keyboard is a work in progress. The prompted word hints are far from accurate. I am also successful in putting dozens of fingerprints over the entire screen, I am uncertain whether using a screen protector will obviate this issue without compromising clarity but I am going straight to BestBuy to get a protective case as my Seidio case is not arriving until the 12th.

4G is noticeably faster than my Pre. Battery life is average considering how much I'm playing with this phone. I disabled GPS and WiFi.

The screen brightness automatically adjusts to the environmental light intensity. As you bring the phone towards your ear, a proximity sensor turns off the screen.

The volume of the ringer decreases when I pick up the phone.

The 8 MB camera is nice. Attaching photos to texts and emails is seamless.

Will update this thread as I gain familiarity with the Evo. I don't Facebook or Twitter or any of that crap so I can't comment on that functionality.

Last edited by Dr. Colorado; 07-02-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wrxyboy
so far screen resolution on this evo is awesome it is a little upgrade from the tp2 but the size is big upgrade. I do have problems with sending text as the letters get mixed up when typing but i am looking for an app that will have a bigger keyboard display. 4g here is awesome. But battery life seems to be the issue now. I am looking for an app that will kill all the apps when closed out as this should help save some battery life. So far i am still learning this phone but in a few weeks i should be pretty comfortable to hack the android software and get things moving a little better.
Hawaii is the bomb! yall are giving the best combo review so far... what rig did you have before the EVO?

Originally Posted by surfer rick
I'm faded, been doing surgery all day. 3 day weekend FTW! Anyhoo, this phone is pretty damn sick. After going through the whole manual, the Evo is leaps ahead of the Pre IMO. First, there's not all the random glitches I experienced with the Pre like the screen freezing, buttons not working, the screen getting all loopy when I was using my finger to scroll.

Vas, I haven't figured out how to run multiple cards yet. If I'm texting, I can't tap on the icon to minimize it and then pull up the phone icon to make a voice call.

I loaded Epocrates for my pharmacopia and SplashID. So far so good. I loaded Pandora and am running trance, it is phenomenal without all the pauses I experienced with the Pre.

I was watching youtube last night and the 4G seemed to go in and out, not sure if this is a function of my home since I live in town. At work it's all 4G all the time.

The visual moving wallpaper is so tits, the home screen background is this bright green cosmic motif that moves like smoke. Feels like I'm dosing LOL.

The voice dialing function actually works! Click on the icon and say "Call Surf" and it dials up Surf News Network! It works for "Call Mom" but not for "Call Jeremiah" hehe instead I get prompts to "Call John Larry." Maybe I need to enunciate better?

Synced well with my gmail acount. I personalized news settings so I get the latest stories from USA Today and ESPN.

I really like the customizable home screens. The Evo offers 6 home screens that you can scroll from right to left so you can have your Agenda on one, Interweb on another, etc. I am only able to put 8 shortcuts on the lower 1/2 of the main home page since I have a big digital clock, date, and weather on the upper 1/2.

I like the Menu button and ^button, intuitive for different Apps. The Android market has a gazillion apps, it will take me weeks to sift through all of them.

I have big fingers so using the touchscreen QWERTY keyboard is a work in progress. The prompted word hints are far from accurate. I am also successful in putting dozens of fingerprints over the entire screen, I am uncertain whether using a screen protector will obviate this issue without compromising clarity but I am going straight to BestBuy to get a protective case as my Seidio case is not arriving until the 12th.

4G is noticeably faster than my Pre. Battery life is average considering how much I'm playing with this phone. I disabled GPS and WiFi.

The screen brightness automatically adjusts to the environmental light intensity. As you bring the phone towards your ear, a proximity sensor turns off the screen.

The volume of the ringer decreases when I pick up the phone.

The 8 MB camera is nice. Attaching photos to texts and emails is seamless.

Will update this thread as I gain familiarity with the Evo. I don't Facebook or Twitter or any of that crap so I can't comment on that functionality.
Sick review Brotha! I have some questions for you, but I know ur tired and so am I... I will submit them tomorrow... Enjoy man!
Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 AM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Hawaii is the bomb! yall are giving the best combo review so far... what rig did you have before the EVO?
I came for a steady touch pro 2. I do miss the qwerty keyboard but it is a small sacrifice for the larger screen. I did read up on how to do free wifi teethering but as of this moment if you applied the over the air update it is impossible to do. Sprint did the update to block those that were taking advantage of the free wifi teethering. I did the update without knowing but it will be a short while before someone figures out a work around. Pandora is awesome, i also download a killer web browser called Skyfire (Slick Web browser), ScanLife (Scan bar codes to Android apps) and Shazam (Find out the name of a song playing). Battery lasted me all day but i didnt get to play with the phone much. I did leave the gps on and the wifi off. I am currently reading up on how to flash a faster rom which gets rid of all the bloat ware that sprint loads onto the phone. I did learn that because this is linux based system the os will only allocate the memory when a program needs it. So you can have multiple apps running and only those that are being used will use memory, the others will sit dormant until used. It was hard for me to get use to this, as a pc user i got use to closing apps to keep the memory load to a minimum.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:03 PM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Rick!

My buddy just returned his HTC after it deleting text messages every few days on its own and due to its size. He's with Sprint right now and is moving to AT&T in 2 weeks for the new iPhone 4.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Well after trying to hold off from the Evo I finally upgraded from the Pre yesterday.... my initial impressions are thumbs up.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 AM

I came for a steady touch pro 2. I do miss the qwerty keyboard but it is a small sacrifice for the larger screen. I did read up on how to do free wifi teethering but as of this moment if you applied the over the air update it is impossible to do. Sprint did the update to block those that were taking advantage of the free wifi teethering. I did the update without knowing but it will be a short while before someone figures out a work around. Pandora is awesome, i also download a killer web browser called Skyfire (Slick Web browser), ScanLife (Scan bar codes to Android apps) and Shazam (Find out the name of a song playing). Battery lasted me all day but i didnt get to play with the phone much. I did leave the gps on and the wifi off. I am currently reading up on how to flash a faster rom which gets rid of all the bloat ware that sprint loads onto the phone. I did learn that because this is linux based system the os will only allocate the memory when a program needs it. So you can have multiple apps running and only those that are being used will use memory, the others will sit dormant until used. It was hard for me to get use to this, as a pc user i got use to closing apps to keep the memory load to a minimum.
Thanks for the update!!! I had Skyfire on my TP1, The TP2 is a great hardware improvement over the TP1, but I already wanted to go back to Palm... and yes, i remember fighting my TP1 all the time b/c I would have soooo many things open at once... thats a cool solution in the EVO!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlueAc
Well after trying to hold off from the Evo I finally upgraded from the Pre yesterday.... my initial impressions are thumbs up.

you caught EVO-intoxication...

give us your impressions when you have some time too!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by vas25tl

My buddy just returned his HTC after it deleting text messages every few days on its own and due to its size. He's with Sprint right now and is moving to AT&T in 2 weeks for the new iPhone 4.
Bad Robot!!!!

Its not for everyone... as long as the ATT service is as good as Sprint, he will be super happy ...IMVHO!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Letter I just wrote to Sprint... They do NOT have a direct email to the CEO, like Apple does... if they do.. I dont know about it...

"I have been with Sprint since 2002 and I have 4 phone lines. I was hoping that after living in our new home for 3+ years that our service inside our home would improve. I live in Spring Texas and I have really good service outside of my home, but almost none inside. I am getting tired of a calling using my home phone or having to use my wifi just to surf the net on my phone. I would really like to put the EVO 4G on my 4th line, but It seems like it would be a huge waste of money to do this because if I am barely getting phone service and 3G at my house, why would I want to pay $120 more a year to barely be able to use a 4G phone... this borders on insane. I need someone to email or call me with a solution that is NOT going to cost me more money for this problem. My sister and brother in law have ATT and when they are inside our home, they have NO problems with phone calls or data. Please contact me as soon as you can. Thanks and have a blessed day!"
Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Has anyone found a way to turn off the missed call/text indicator? I'm not digging the fact that this info can be viewed w/o taken the lock off.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I came with a 3Gs and now have a EVO and love it. Best phone I have owned yet. I get 2 days out of my battery with normal use. It out lasts my iphone.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlueAc
Has anyone found a way to turn off the missed call/text indicator? I'm not digging the fact that this info can be viewed w/o taken the lock off.
...if no one here @ AZ has an answer, go to sprintusers.com ... there is always a Sprint tech on over there who can get you an answer pretty qwik!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Hey yall, can anyone say how the EVO does in BRIGHT sunlight... the Pre was excellent in that area, with a reflective background surface...
Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
I came with a 3Gs and now have a EVO and love it. Best phone I have owned yet. I get 2 days out of my battery with normal use. It out lasts my iphone.
Do y'all have 4G up there in SA?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Well I didn't pull the trigger on the EVO instead I ordered an HTC Aria for free with 2yr contract on AT&T and when it gets here I will do the workaround to be able to remove the bloatware and install "side loaded apps" outside of the regular app store. I haven't owned a smartphone before so I decided to go with a mid-range android phone and if I like it at 18mos I can upgrade again anyhow. I know I have been missing out on this whole android thing so pretty excited to be getting one soon! Hopefully this phone will get the froyo update too.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
I had the problem with no service in my house and ended up switching to AT&T as well. Mind you I'm in miami. Good luck
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Do y'all have 4G up there in SA?
We sure do. Seem to have pretty good coverage here for 4G.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24
Well I didn't pull the trigger on the EVO instead I ordered an HTC Aria for free with 2yr contract on AT&T and when it gets here I will do the workaround to be able to remove the bloatware and install "side loaded apps" outside of the regular app store. I haven't owned a smartphone before so I decided to go with a mid-range android phone and if I like it at 18mos I can upgrade again anyhow. I know I have been missing out on this whole android thing so pretty excited to be getting onee soon! Hopefully this phone will get the froyo update too.
Android FTW! Looks like another sick Rig! Update us on it asa you get it!

Originally Posted by Doom878
I had the problem with no service in my house and ended up switching to AT&T as well. Mind you I'm in miami. Good luck
Thanks alot man!...over on sprintusers.com one of the peeps got a free airwave after calling retentions, so I will call them if I dont get any response from my email... I know sprint doesnt wanna loose 4 more lines...LOL (like Im all dat!)

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
We sure do. Seem to have pretty good coverage here for 4G.
Austin and SA are just on so many things... seems like here in Htown, there is such a glut of peeps, seems like everything gets half done... like no body will notice...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Title changed as per request, Doc!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Title changed as per request, Doc!
Awesome bro! Thanks alot!

The peeps who have been keeping this going aren't just EVO owners, so I would like to share the love and information!!!ec

NOTE: bigchico is the user name for the Sprint tech over at sprintusers.com who answers almost all of my questions about hardware, software and retentions... He is really good!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Well I didn't pull the trigger on the EVO instead I ordered an HTC Aria for free with 2yr contract on AT&T and when it gets here I will do the workaround to be able to remove the bloatware and install "side loaded apps" outside of the regular app store. I haven't owned a smartphone before so I decided to go with a mid-range android phone and if I like it at 18mos I can upgrade again anyhow. I know I have been missing out on this whole android thing so pretty excited to be getting one soon! Hopefully this phone will get the froyo update too.
Doom had started this thread about the Android HTC Aria, so I dropped the link here... has a cool vid too... I am gonna check cnet.com and see what they have to say too...

NOTE: in the Aria vid on egadget it moves from area to area in a almost webos fashion... thats really cool, esp if it allows you to go from app to app without closing them!!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/att-htc-aria-%24130-finally-another-android-phone-779980/

Last edited by DarkSithCL; 07-06-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey yall, can anyone say how the EVO does in BRIGHT sunlight... the Pre was excellent in that area, with a reflective background surface...
Hey Rick, the screen is fine in sunlight. I got the screen protectors from Sprint and 1 of the 3 is specific for bright ambient light with anti-glare effect. I just put the regular one on though. If I'm on the internet or Pandora, the battery burns pretty quick but not any faster than my Pre IMO.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vas25tl

If you go under settings, you can uncheck the setting to delete old messages FYI.

After 1 weekend of having the phone in my pocket, I'm used to the size. It's thin which compensates for the large screen size. I wear loose pants anyhoo so not big deal for moi.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL I did a search for Skyfire in the App Marketplace and the app "Pornsearch" came up in the query.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
1st TL-S on air in

LOL I did a search for Skyfire in the App Marketplace and the app "Pornsearch" came up in the query.
what a great app. Also there has been a work around the new over the air update which will allow you to free wifi teether. Only thing is you will need to wipe the os clean and start from scratch. So it is best to backup your phone and all necessary info. I also got a 16gb memory card so the phone is basically like a 16g iphone. Only thing i wish it did that the new iphone does is HD video.

Last edited by wrxyboy; 07-06-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Letter I just wrote to Sprint... They do NOT have a direct email to the CEO, like Apple does... if they do.. I dont know about it...

"I have been with Sprint since 2002 and I have 4 phone lines. I was hoping that after living in our new home for 3+ years that our service inside our home would improve. I live in Spring Texas and I have really good service outside of my home, but almost none inside. I am getting tired of a calling using my home phone or having to use my wifi just to surf the net on my phone. I would really like to put the EVO 4G on my 4th line, but It seems like it would be a huge waste of money to do this because if I am barely getting phone service and 3G at my house, why would I want to pay $120 more a year to barely be able to use a 4G phone... this borders on insane. I need someone to email or call me with a solution that is NOT going to cost me more money for this problem. My sister and brother in law have ATT and when they are inside our home, they have NO problems with phone calls or data. Please contact me as soon as you can. Thanks and have a blessed day!"
You should call and ask to get the sprint airrave (http://shop.sprint.com/en/services/a...=vanity:airave) for free since you have poor reception. Just complain about your horrible reception and threaten to kill service especially since you have 4 lines. It is worth a try.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You should call and ask to get the sprint airrave (http://shop.sprint.com/en/services/a...=vanity:airave) for free since you have poor reception. Just complain about your horrible reception and threaten to kill service especially since you have 4 lines. It is worth a try.
Do it!

Or just grab this:http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html
Old 07-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Team Owner

I like the idea of an android thread but it's going to be overkill by the fall
Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 AM

Hey Rick, the screen is fine in sunlight. I got the screen protectors from Sprint and 1 of the 3 is specific for bright ambient light with anti-glare effect. I just put the regular one on though. If I'm on the internet or Pandora, the battery burns pretty quick but not any faster than my Pre IMO.
Thanks Brotha!

I use Pandora all the time thru my BT in my cars... but then, I always charge my Pre while Im doing this, unless its a short errand... glad to hear you get a huge screen with about the same battery life...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 AM

great Idea!

I will check this out too... I am really trying to do this on cheap yall!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I love Android, I sometimes play with my iphone again, but get bored after about 2 minutes. Android is so much more customizable and enjoyable.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I love Android, I sometimes play with my iphone again, but get bored after about 2 minutes. Android is so much more customizable and enjoyable.
i love the fact that android is open source. So many developers for this product
Old 07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

White evos are out says engadget. Also another samsung called the intercept with android ready for preorder
Old 07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
1st TL-S on air in

^^^ i think the only thing white is the battery cover. Im going to 3m di noc carbon fiber wrap my battery cover.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878
I like the idea of an android thread but it's going to be overkill by the fall
Hopefully we will use this to separate the cream from the crop on the Android tip

....one thing I love here at AZ... peeps are honest and opinionated!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:29 PM

^^^ i think the only thing white is the battery cover. Im going to 3m di noc carbon fiber wrap my battery cover.
shoot us a pic when you do it...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

T-Mo folks. Check this out. Lots of new Android phones coming.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/t...roid-in-store/

ATT Samsung Captivate for $200

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/s...ly-18-for-200/
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Samsung Captivate looks great. Some rumblings within the Android community that it won't be rooted though, as there isn't much of a following for the Samsung phones. Anyone have any insight?

Quick Reply: Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread