Intermittent Knocking Noise from Engine

Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Knocking Noise from Engine

hey all, this is my first post here. I have a 2009 Tsx, 6spd tech. It currently has 229,000km on it but I bought it last January 2017 with 185,000km. I bought the car for it’s known reliability and because I used to have an accord.

About 3 weeks now, I noticed there was this knocking noise coming from the engine. At the time, I had to replace my serpentine belt and idler pulley and was told not to worry about the knock because it might be related. I did just that and the knocking still persists.

So the knocking only occurs when the engine gets hot, happens for a couple seconds then goes away. After a couple seconds of it disappearing it returns for a couple seconds more. This process repeats itself. The car isles just under 1000 and if you blip the pedal, the knocking increases with the rpm but only up to 1000. Alternatively if you hold the rpms just under 1000 you’ll hear the knock momentarily increase then disappear. So it appears this knock only happens during idle but not during acceleration or when the rpm exceeds 1000 - and only when the engine warms up. The performance of the car is unchanged. Not burning oil, and accelerates like a champ. Honestly the car runs just as good as when I got it except now there’s a knock. Concerning because I’m unaware of what it might be. The last owner took great care of the car too (in the second owner). The only thing I can think of is I accidentally put semi synthetic oil in the engine on the previous oil change (I do synthetic). But no knocking occurred until near the end of the oil life and now it currently has Quaker state synthetic again.

Forgot to mention that when I put a stethoscope to the car, you can hear the knocking through the intake manifold in the front. So I’m not sure if this is indicative of the problem being in the engine or what not. I had one mechanic tell me that he doesn’t think it’s serious since there’s no performance loss, no CEL, etc and that it might be an intake manifold leak through warping.

I will Upload videos as soon as I’m able. I appreciate any feedback
Old 07-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Maybe it needs a valve adjustment or timing chain tensioner.

Any metal flakes in the oil?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BROlando
Maybe it needs a valve adjustment or timing chain tensioner.

Any metal flakes in the oil?
no, fortunately there isn't any. I have read about the valve adjustment and the timing chain tensioner. i just feel like the car is not as symptomatic as one would think to require those services. but it might be worth getting done to rule out things.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
My guess is timing chain tensioner. Common issue on the S2000 - happened on mine. The tensioner looses oil pressure and retracks. Ones the engine has been cranked, it taps for a few seconds until pressure rebuilds and it goes back to normal. Timing chain tensioner are not to expensive to replace or out of the realm of DIY.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EuroRspec
My guess is timing chain tensioner. Common issue on the S2000 - happened on mine. The tensioner looses oil pressure and retracks. Ones the engine has been cranked, it taps for a few seconds until pressure rebuilds and it goes back to normal. Timing chain tensioner are not to expensive to replace or out of the realm of DIY.
Did your S2K react similarly to my car out of curiosity? Like, there was no loss of power, no CEL, etc? I will look into replacing it. As well as the valve adjustment. Is it safe to run my car as it is for now though? I was told by one mechanic not to worry too much about it. I myself work at a dealer, though not Honda or ACURA, and all guys here don’t seem to know either. Everyone suggests to just keep going, and when it breaks then we will know what the issue is. Not sure I like that idea too much though since I do a lot of driving at times