2011 Sport Wagon Trailer Hitch

Old 03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Bicycle Addict

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Sport Wagon Trailer Hitch

Starting this thread for the ongoing discussions of a trailer hitch for those of us that have a wagon and need a hitch.

Quick reference: purchased Curt Hitch, does not fit. The distance from the main beam to the frame mounts are to short. I am working with Curt to get a proper hitch made.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Bicycle Addict

Out of town this week, will be working with Curt once I get back. Hopefully a hitch for the wagon will be available sooner than later.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Bicycle Addict

Spoke with Curt today, the sedan hitch is about 1-1/4" too short for the side supports. They stated that they were working on getting a hitch through design and production and they hope it will be release within the next 2 months. The website has been updated to show that the current hitch fits the sedan only.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice updates, Derek. I'm sure that the wagon is too new for manufacturers to have this part available already.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Gets bored easily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By any chance are they going to be making the wagon hitch so it doesn't stick out 4" from the bottom of the rear fucking fascia? And then hopefully redesigning the sedan hitch for the same reason?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Bicycle Addict

When I was temporarily mounting the hitch the bottom was maybe 1" below the tow loop. The hitch mounts to the tow loop and the only thing below the plate that attaches to the loop are the nuts for the u bolt and a little bit of the side supports. I never had the hitch mounted fully since the side supports were too short.

In the diagram I have from Curt, the side supports are about 1/2" lower than the bottom plate for the u bolt. The round tubes are definitely not 4" in diameter, probably closer to 2"
Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer hitch

I am also looking forward to being able to get a hitch to use my Yakima Swing Away. I got it for my 03 Piot which I traded against the TSX Wagon.

I know you are working with Curt, I have no knowledge of them, but have a question for you. How durable is the finish of Curt products? The aftermarket hitch I put on the Pilot rusted in the Ohio Winter...a mess!

Your Thoughts and observations are appreciated.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Bicycle Addict

So far I have only used Hidden Hitch or Draw-tite. Those did rust after a couple of Ohio winters which is why I am going with the Curt this time. The finish on the Curt seemed to be better than the others I have used. Even the factory hitches I have had have rusted after a couple of years of winters.

The best thing to do is to clean and wax the hitch on a regular basis and to try and keep the receiver lubed.

One thing to note is that the HH/Draw-Tite hitches are open on the ends of the square tubing allowing more salt to get into the hitch.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Cruisin'

Emailed Curt and let them know that there is interest in a product for this wagon.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Bicycle Addict

Update:

Curt is now showing a hitch available for the wagon. I called them this morning because they are showing the same part number as the sedan which is what I had ordered a month ago and it did not fit. They sent photos of a wagon they installed the hitch on but nothing from underneath the car and I am not seeing the tie-in for the supports so I am trying to get clarification.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Cruisin'

Derek,
thanks for dogging them.
I to saw the same thing. Well at least there are a couple of us looking.. There seems to be a lot of advertising, Bicycling Mag... for this car.. .seems like ACURA should want to make a part for us that want to move to a smaller platform.

By the way, we love the TSX Wagon...
Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Bicycle Addict

I should have another hitch within the next couple of days. The wagon they fitted the hitch on has a different vin structure from mine. I can't imagine that there would be a difference between a base and a tech but who knows.

I will install the new hitch and see if it actually fits or not. If not, I will be documenting everything and send them an update. All fun and games when you buy a new vehicle model.

On a side note, do you have the tech package?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Derek,

We do appreciate your attention! I did notice on the Curt site that the instructions for mounting were updated on 3/18/2011. I'm wondering if they made some modification to the hardware on that date, to accommodate the Wagon.

http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterl..._11496_INS.pdf
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Gets bored easily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the wagon hitch is still going to stick out several inches from the bottom of the rear facia...such a poor (aesthetic) design...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 87MustangGT
Looks like the wagon hitch is still going to stick out several inches from the bottom of the rear facia...such a poor (aesthetic) design...
could not agree more
Old 04-01-2011, 04:48 AM
2nd Gear

I called etrailer.com and they spoke to several manufacturers and expect to add a hitch to their website in 30-60 days. The last hitch I got from them for my RDX was a Valley hitch and installed in 15 minutes.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Cruisin'

Derek,
We opted to keep the 3500 in our pockets and buy bette bike.. so we do not have the tech package.

I am a little concerned about the amount of electronics and potential for failure.... lead free solder and all the problems that folks are having with it... the world just went lead free about 4 years ago and I am not certain that the long term reliability is there...

Mil and Aerospace still used leaded for high reliability electronics.

opinions are worth what you pay...
regards,
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Bicycle Addict

Still waiting on the hitch, the local dealer I ordered it from decided to put it on their regular stock order this time instead of ordering it via UPS like last time. I should have it by Wednesday.

wbt3, could you PM me your VIN? I am trying to figure out what model wagon that Curt installed the hitch on.

When I spoke to the person that I have been dealing with the VIN on that car is different from mine. Maybe there is a difference between the base and tech model.

Thanks,
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

A tech pkg vin JH4CW2H62BC000033
A non tech vin JH4CW2H51BC001634
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

Derek,
I live in N E Ohio and the weather has been less than conducive for biking...
Hope it warms up soon
Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Bicycle Addict

wbt3,

I also live in NEO... The vin area I am interested in is the H5x or H6x. The one that Curt installed the hitch on was H50, mine is H6x

Curious as to what the various numbers mean.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
wouldn't it be wise to equip the TSX wagon w/ a V6 before considering a hitch? My
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Bicycle Addict

Not if you are carrying bikes.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Bicycle Addict

Picked up the second hitch this afternoon, strike two. Same exact issue as the first hitch. I spoke with the person I have been dealing with at Curt and have emailed him all of the pictures that were requested. I hope to have more information next Tuesday when Curt is supposed to call.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Bicycle Addict

Curt had their Detroit office bring in another wagon and the hitch did not fit. They are trying to push out a design update for the wagon. Hopefully I will know more by the end of next week.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for working on this Derek. I picked up a tech wagon a couple of weeks ago and need a hitch also.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

I have a sport wagon as well and badly need a trailer hitch. Any idea when expected availability to be. Mine is the non tech model.
Thanks
Dan-Fl
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan-Fl
I have a sport wagon as well and badly need a trailer hitch. Any idea when expected availability to be. Mine is the non tech model.
Thanks
Dan-Fl
Dan, Derek is working with Curtis Hitch. His last post indicated that he may know more late this week. -Mike
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Bicycle Addict

Update:

Email from the person at Curt that I am working with: "Looks like parts have been fabricated and sent out to have the hitch fabricated up and readied for test fit. I am hoping that in the next couple weeks or so I will be able to tell you that we have a hitch for this car."

What this doesn't say is that since there are differences from the existing hitch they need to create a new part number, etc into the system which is one of the reasons there will be a delay.

I will keep everyone posted as I receive more information.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Thanks again Derek. I'll be patient.

:toetap:
Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BikingDerek
Update:

Email from the person at Curt that I am working with: "Looks like parts have been fabricated and sent out to have the hitch fabricated up and readied for test fit. I am hoping that in the next couple weeks or so I will be able to tell you that we have a hitch for this car."

What this doesn't say is that since there are differences from the existing hitch they need to create a new part number, etc into the system which is one of the reasons there will be a delay.

I will keep everyone posted as I receive more information.
Hey, Derek. I hope you're enjoying the Wagon!

Any update on the hitch?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Bicycle Addict

I spoke with Curt today, here is a copy of the reply:

"No new updates as of yet. We built a hitch and sent it to our Detroit office for a confirmation fit. I hope that we hear something by the end of the week or early next week. I have been following the progress of hitch. The new design will definitely fit up for you. I was also reading some blogs and saw that there is major call for this and have pushed that info on to the engineers so they know to get this done quick"

Hopefully this is the case and it will only be a couple more weeks before it is available for everyone.

So far I am really enjoying the wagon. An extra perk was going to see a sneek preview of the movie Thor in 3D last night courtesy of the dealer (Park Acura).

I hope to have more information next week on the hitch.

The weather is breaking, time for some serious riding and I need that hitch!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Advanced

I spoke with Curt today, here is a copy of the reply:

"No new updates as of yet. We built a hitch and sent it to our Detroit office for a confirmation fit. I hope that we hear something by the end of the week or early next week. I have been following the progress of hitch. The new design will definitely fit up for you. I was also reading some blogs and saw that there is major call for this and have pushed that info on to the engineers so they know to get this done quick"

Hopefully this is the case and it will only be a couple more weeks before it is available for everyone.

So far I am really enjoying the wagon. An extra perk was going to see a sneek preview of the movie Thor in 3D last night courtesy of the dealer (Park Acura).

I hope to have more information next week on the hitch.

The weather is breaking, time for some serious riding and I need that hitch!
Thanks for the update, Derek. I'm eager for some serious riding as well. I've been tempted to just purchase x2 of the Acura bike attachments for the roof rack (I already have the cross bars), but would really prefer to wait for the hitch.

I continue to enjoy the wagon too. Still getting lots of compliments, including another one today! Based on inventory/supply situation, it sounds like we may continue to have an especially unique ride for some time ahead.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

Anything new to report on this?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Bicycle Addict

Nothing yet, I will be sending another email today or tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Derek,

Any indication that Curt is still working on this?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Bicycle Addict

The Detroit office has a hitch for fitment but is unable to located a wagon to try it on. They are supposed to call me this week to see if we can work something out.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Take care of the, Derek, we need hitches out here!

Seriously, if I can be of any assistance let me know. I'd be happy to give it a try on my wagon.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Bicycle Addict

Originally Posted by mmhouse
Take care of the, Derek, we need hitches out here!

Seriously, if I can be of any assistance let me know. I'd be happy to give it a try on my wagon.
Are you near Detroit?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Are you near Detroit?
No, sorry, west coast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Sport Wagon Trailer Hitch