Door leak causing electric problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door leak causing electric problems

I’ve been having the worst time with this tl every time it rains, the electronics act up and the alarm goes off for no reason. TodY I was washing my car and the rear right door says it’s opened but it’s not. I had already replaced the door sensor thing with a new one bc that door always says it’s opened when it’s not (after rain) and I also adjusted the door latches on all 4 to make sure the doors shut tight, I tested the windshield for water leak and it seemed fine, I also used air compressor on the moon roof drains, only the 2 front bc I couldn’t locate the two rear ones. Could it be a bad door seal? The car acts normal again after it dries up completely but it can take up to 4 days for all the cables or waterver is getting wet to dry up. Or is there another place for water to creep I to the car?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Is the fuse panel in the driver's kick wet ?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Is the fuse panel in the driver's kick wet ?
I didn’t check tbh, I’ll take a look at it later to see if there’s any signs of water being there, I’m also gonna check the PCM, I guess it’s called? I’ve read water gets in that and causes problems too
Old 09-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Also, when the alarm went off at 3:30am for no f** reason, I went out and all the locks were jumping up and down by themselves, the key fob is fine no low battery, and now the car doesn’t let me lock it bc it says a door is opened, which it’s not.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

PCM is located under the passenger side and the A/C may leak onto it. It sounds more like an issue with the MICU/fuse panel in the driver's side though but check both..
Old 09-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Is there just one fuse panel on the drivers side? I doubt it’s the pcm then since I haven’t had the AC on, and the situation only happens when the car gets wet
Old 09-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2006...rol-unit-cabin

Just go take a look and you'll see it for yourself
Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-2006...rol-unit-cabin

Just go take a look and you'll see it for yourself
I’ll check it out, thanks
Old 09-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Instructor

do you know what that is by any chance? I’m checking the car for signs of water and i just saw that little box with a white gear inside and it seems like it’s leaking a lot of something, I’m assuming it’s grease?
Old 02-15-2023, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helppp

Originally Posted by 06.UA6SD
I’ve been having the worst time with this tl every time it rains, the electronics act up and the alarm goes off for no reason. TodY I was washing my car and the rear right door says it’s opened but it’s not. I had already replaced the door sensor thing with a new one bc that door always says it’s opened when it’s not (after rain) and I also adjusted the door latches on all 4 to make sure the doors shut tight, I tested the windshield for water leak and it seemed fine, I also used air compressor on the moon roof drains, only the 2 front bc I couldn’t locate the two rear ones. Could it be a bad door seal? The car acts normal again after it dries up completely but it can take up to 4 days for all the cables or waterver is getting wet to dry up. Or is there another place for water to creep I to the car?
helpp have you figured out whats wrong? im having the same problems
Old 02-15-2023, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pos-tl
helpp have you figured out whats wrong? im having the same problems
I didn’t figure it out. But if you leave the drivers and passenger belt buckled in, it won’t act weird when it rains. If the windshield isn’t the original one, I’d replace the windshield seal and see if that works
Old 03-14-2023, 02:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06.UA6SD

do you know what that is by any chance? I’m checking the car for signs of water and i just saw that little box with a white gear inside and it seems like it’s leaking a lot of something, I’m assuming it’s grease?
I've been having the same issue lately due to all the rain we have been getting lately in Southern California. The alarm going off randomly, door not locking with the fob, MID showing "door open". The alarm going off at 2:00am and 4:00am is seriously driving me nuts, to the point that I want to just leave the car unlocked all night.

There several threads regarding this issue (I found yours by simply searching for "rain" "alarm" on Acurazine), and I've read through quite a few of them, but still can't figure out what the main issue is. Most threads are about either the door sensor failing or water leaking onto the MICU from the moonroof or windshield.

Maybe someone else can confirm, but your picture seems to be one of the moonroof drain tubes? I've read that the moonroof drains on this car aren't well designed and can drain water into the worst places (such as near the MICU fuse box). Do you see any tears or holes on your moonroof seal?

I've tried the below:
  • Checked and tried swapping door sensors, but it doesn't seem to be that since my door ajar light is fickle. It only says "door open" (rear left door) when I turn the key to "on"; once I start the car the light turns off and the door sensor functions normally (but the keyfob still doesn't lock the car)
  • Also checked for water leaking in from the moonroof; I recently had my car repainted, and the shop didn't do a good job taping off the moonroof so the moonroof seal was stuck to the roof and split when I tried to open it, leaving a hole. I replaced the seal, and it was okay for a few days (coincidentally the rain stopped too), but lately the problem has started again. When I slid open the moonroof after a rainstorm, I didn't see any water around the run channels so I assume the seal is doing its job and no water is leaking inside
  • I checked the driver side lower fuse panel and didn't see any moisture, but the next step I want to try is to open the entire kick panel and see if there is anything leaking from behind that I can't see from the front. I haven't checked the right side shown your picture; I'll have to look into that.
  • One thread also mentioned it could be the hood latch sensor; I'll have yet to check that. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-a...-storm-991631/
I'm also checking the seals around my windshield, since I noticed my cowl cover seal is not entirely flush against the windshield. I temporarily put a foam seal in between to see if helps; does anyone know if a gap between the cowl cover seal and windshield (at the spot of the white foam seal below) will cause water to leak into the car and onto the MICU?