EOS Axle Back Exhaust Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 04:48 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EOS Axle Back Exhaust Initial Impressions

Hi Everyone,

I usually use the forums for research, so I wanted to give back a writeup for others to use.

I just received and installed the EOS axle back straight pipe exhaust system and wanted to share my initial impressions. I was looking for something that sounded OEM with a low rumble, and was not fart can or obnoxious, EOS did not disappoint. Write up below.

Quality:

The exhaust is 304 SS and I suspect the hardware is as well. Welds were not perfect dime lines, but they seemed like there was good penetration and overall they were neat enough, I would not fail the welds if I was inspecting them for work, keeping in mind their purpose (non-safety critical). It bolted straight up without having to force anything. Good geometry and tolerances. The exhaust tips are polished on the exterior but interior could use extra polishing since with the width of the tips you can clearly see in tip innards. The bolt up clamp side came with a lead gasket. Everything you need parts wise is included.

Installation:

If you are at all mechanically inclined it will range from easy to moderate. I have been working on cars and vehicles my entire life and I’m a mechanical engineer, it took me about 45 mins and I wasn’t rushing. I would consider the job very easy. You’ll need a saw zaw for the driver side muffler, so it’s not a true bolt on system since you’ll need to cut your exhaust. That’s ok because you can use an exhaust butt clamp to rejoin it or weld it back up. Be careful you DO NOT cut too much from the side that stays on the car, it’s better to have extra exhaust tube because the excess can slide into the new straight pipe. I would cut it about 2.5” after the first bend exiting the exhaust going up to the engine. Be sure to check where the new pipe will terminate by lining the hanger rods up with the OEM hanger before you cut.

First Impressions:

They look great, especially from the sides since the tips protrude every so slightly. I think the 3.5” diameter tips are well proportioned for the bumper and look really good.

Startup sounds good. You know there’s something there on initial start but once the idle comes down, it is just barely perceptible inside the car with the windows up. Outside the car, the idle is a deep purr noise.

Driving under load and or higher RPMs in sport/manual with the windows down and there’s no doubt the exhaust has been modded. It DOES NOT sound fart can like or unreasonably loud, but it makes noise when you’re giving her the beans. I think it’s as close to an OEM sport exhaust as possible (especially considering the Type S exhaust butterfly valve accomplishes basically the same thing on the fly).

Driving normally with the windows down, and you’ll know it’s been changed. Roll up the windows and it get’s harder to tell, turn up the music to 10 or more volume and you can’t tell driving normally.

On the highway it didn’t feel like it was droning at steady rpm and regular highway speeds, if I notice anything new I’ll tell you.

I still need to hear it as a bystander or in a chase car. This week I’ll have the GF drive it and I’ll follow in my corvette to get a cop’s perspective. Overall, I don’t feel like a cop will pull me over for the exhaust unless he just needed an excuse.

TLDR:

I am happy with the quality vs cost proposition. It looks awesome, was easy to install, and the sound from inside the car seems low and throaty, and NOT fart can or obnoxious. I’ll update when I follow in a chase car or notice anything new.

Last edited by Machine Whisperer; 07-22-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts
Those looks great! I wish EOS would make something similar for the RDX and I would get it in a heartbeat!
Old 07-24-2024, 06:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Twism,

The TLX EOS axle back is simply a straight pipe muffler delete with nice tips. I looked at the OEM 2021+ RDX exhaust diagrams and it appears to have three resonators before the mufflers similar to the TLX 2.0T, which is no surprise since it's same 2.0T. Given the very similar DNA, you could likely get the same sound with a reputable exhaust/mechanic shop fabricating the straight pipe run with your supplied tips. The three OEM resonators prior to the muffler do a really good job refining the note and canceling drone.

If you like, I suggest asking a shop to estimate the cost to cut your exhaust, bend and attach SS pipes, then bolt your customer supplied tips. There is a slight diameter difference between the OEM exhaust pipe diameter and the EOS pipe/tip diameter. So, you'll need an adaptor.... or a skilled tech.