AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   6G TLX (2021+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-2021-466/)
-   -   TLX vs. THE CAR INDUSTRY (https://acurazine.com/forums/6g-tlx-2021-466/tlx-vs-car-industry-1001484/)

Tony Pac 12-12-2022 04:22 PM

TLX vs. THE CAR INDUSTRY

This is a thread for all the true Acura, specifically TLX "fans". Please discuss as much as you can over here and leave the other threads relevant for people that really need information. Hope this is allows you guys to compare TLX to Tata Nano rather than TLX to 3 Series or G70. I will start deleting posts if I see it's going around the circle and irrelevant to the topic.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!

MarcoTLX 12-12-2022 10:08 PM

TLX Type-S Vs BMW M550i xDrive I just know the Type-S would run circles around it :wish:

ELIN 12-13-2022 07:48 AM

If the purpose of this thread is to limit intelligent discussion, isn't this thread better off on Facebook?

Tony Pac 12-13-2022 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by ELIN (Post 16860233)
If the purpose of this thread is to limit intelligent discussion, isn't this thread better off on Facebook?

This suits the audience here more than anywhere else :)

Do you see how many irrelevant messages are posted in every single thread??? When you need something important, it's impossible to find. How can we help the community, when every thread turns to BMW and Audi?

fiatlux 12-13-2022 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16860235)

Do you see how many irrelevant messages are posted in every single thread??? When you need something important, it's impossible to find. How can we help the community, when every thread turns to BMW and Audi?

What community? Absent these conversations this subforum is a ghost town like the 4G MDX and 3G RDX subforums. You’d be lucky to get a handful of posts a day and maybe a thread a week.

rockstar143 12-13-2022 10:32 AM

that's because 3G TL is where it's at. Still. :tomato:

ELIN 12-13-2022 10:42 AM

Perhaps an unfair conceit but the current get TLX threads have been quite dry since I stopped posting regularly. Less to complain about I guess!

mike03a3 12-13-2022 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16860235)

I think the reason this 6G TLX forum has so much activity compared to the rest of Acurazine, and reason BMW and Audi come up so much are one answer: TLX Type-S. Acura makes a variety of fine vehicles to compete in the lower portion of the luxury market, but by and large they aren't very exciting. The 3G TL Type-S was popular because it stood out from the rest of the Acura line, and there were legions of people like me anxiously awaiting the day Acura produced a worthy successor.
We thought that day was dawning when the TLX Type-S was announced. We flocked here to learn about it and talk about it. And then we finally had the chance to see, touch and even drive one. The discussions became more "lively" as some were enthralled while others were disappointed. BMW and Audi became frequent parts of the discussions for the simple reason that Acura Marketing chose to compare the new Type-S to them in writing, attempting to demonstrate it was equal to and maybe even better than the Germans.

I personally had never considered a BMW. Prior to my TL Type-S I had two Jaguars, a Series 3 E-Type OTS and a XJS Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible, both V-12s. I bought my TL Type-S because I needed a back seat but also wanted a sport sedan. When the TLX Type-S finally arrived I went to the dealer with my wife, fully intending to test drive and purchase the new Type-S. When confronted with the reality of the vehicle and the lack of some features I rapidly was losing interest. Since Acura compared it to BMW, we drove directly to the nearest BMW dealer and drove a 540. Neither of us had even driven a BMW before, but we both really liked it. Over three months of agonizing over what to do followed. Eventually I figured in for a penny, in for a pound. Since it was quite likely this would be my last new car, given my age and how long I tend to keep them, I ordered an M550i.

I sincerely thank Acura Marketing. If it wasn't for them I am unlikely to have even looked at a BMW. If I do buy another car I would certainly look at Acura again. We have been a Honda/Acura family for decades. But they need to get their act together and include the high end tech in their high end cars, and stop dropping everyday useful items like Homelink.

ELIN 12-13-2022 12:51 PM

^^^^^^^
Well said!

Tony Pac 12-13-2022 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16860264)
What community? Absent these conversations this subforum is a ghost town like the 4G MDX and 3G RDX subforums. You’d be lucky to get a handful of posts a day and maybe a thread a week.

That's what expected from you...quantity over quality lol!

Tony Pac 12-13-2022 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mike03a3 (Post 16860298)
I think the reason this 6G TLX forum has so much activity compared to the rest of Acurazine, and reason BMW and Audi come up so much are one answer: TLX Type-S. Acura makes a variety of fine vehicles to compete in the lower portion of the luxury market, but by and large they aren't very exciting. The 3G TL Type-S was popular because it stood out from the rest of the Acura line, and there were legions of people like me anxiously awaiting the day Acura produced a worthy successor.
We thought that day was dawning when the TLX Type-S was announced. We flocked here to learn about it and talk about it. And then we finally had the chance to see, touch and even drive one. The discussions became more "lively" as some were enthralled while others were disappointed. BMW and Audi became frequent parts of the discussions for the simple reason that Acura Marketing chose to compare the new Type-S to them in writing, attempting to demonstrate it was equal to and maybe even better than the Germans.

I personally had never considered a BMW. Prior to my TL Type-S I had two Jaguars, a Series 3 E-Type OTS and a XJS Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible, both V-12s. I bought my TL Type-S because I needed a back seat but also wanted a sport sedan. When the TLX Type-S finally arrived I went to the dealer with my wife, fully intending to test drive and purchase the new Type-S. When confronted with the reality of the vehicle and the lack of some features I rapidly was losing interest. Since Acura compared it to BMW, we drove directly to the nearest BMW dealer and drove a 540. Neither of us had even driven a BMW before, but we both really liked it. Over three months of agonizing over what to do followed. Eventually I figured in for a penny, in for a pound. Since it was quite likely this would be my last new car, given my age and how long I tend to keep them, I ordered an M550i.

I sincerely thank Acura Marketing. If it wasn't for them I am unlikely to have even looked at a BMW. If I do buy another car I would certainly look at Acura again. We have been a Honda/Acura family for decades. But they need to get their act together and include the high end tech in their high end cars, and stop dropping everyday useful items like Homelink.

Fair enough! Thank you for your input in a very professional and informative way. I wish everyone would come up with better content and explanation.

rockstar143 12-13-2022 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by mike03a3 (Post 16860298)

Last new car!??!
Might be mine too and I'm in my 40's :tomato:
for the price, new cars just don't do it for me.
They zero to 60 quick on paper but they don't feel like they have a soul...maybe it's the lack of manual.
I recently bought my old TL-S back and love every second of driving it, now more than ever (I've owned it 3 times now)...I have other cars including German and they do drive "better"...overall it's a better car but when you factor in that you have to replace things at 100K that last 200K on a Honda...it's a big negative for long term or fully depreciated ownership.
At the end of they day as long as you're making good financial decisions for your family and not signing your life away to keep up with the Jones' AND you're having a good time driving YOUR car...
that's all that matters.

Tony Pac 12-13-2022 01:50 PM

Check the thread "I am done with Acura" and we are talking about Homelink of Integra LMAO! Can't get any better....Let's keep the sub forum alive by posting about FIFA - world cup and blame Acura for eliminating Brazil!

fiatlux 12-13-2022 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16860303)
That's what expected from you...quantity over quality lol!

I'm glad you're finally moving away from the fake politeness schtick. Let us know how you really feel :)

Tony Pac 12-13-2022 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16860332)
I'm glad you're finally moving away from the fake politeness schtick. Let us know how you really feel :)

hahaha! polite with you? LMAO!

fiatlux 12-13-2022 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16860333)
hahaha! polite with you? LMAO!

https://wompampsupport.azureedge.net...F323%2F394.jpg

Tony Pac 12-13-2022 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16860340)

LMAO! I thought you're funny but not to this extent....please post in every thread so we get more activity!

How is the weather in your area?

neuronbob 12-15-2022 10:00 PM

I'd say this thread is a good idea. TLX to Tata Nano :rofl:

And wait, @rockstar143 has owned his TL-S three different times? And I thought I was nuts about S2000s...

And back on topic, I have compared the TLX Type-S with my RLX Sport Hybrid a number of times. I am still awaiting the addition of Advance features before making the jump. The RLX SH has spoiled me with excellent power, limo-sized back seats for my teenager, HUD, and 360 degree cameras. Since the Type S is the flagship sedan, should have all those features. The driving dynamics of the Type S, though, are top notch IMO and I found it super-fun to drive. I'd prefer SH-AWD in my daily driver than what passes for AWD on BMWs.

bilirubin 12-16-2022 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob (Post 16860810)
I'd say this thread is a good idea. TLX to Tata Nano :rofl:

And wait, @rockstar143 has owned his TL-S three different times? And I thought I was nuts about S2000s...

And back on topic, I have compared the TLX Type-S with my RLX Sport Hybrid a number of times. I am still awaiting the addition of Advance features before making the jump. The RLX SH has spoiled me with excellent power, limo-sized back seats for my teenager, HUD, and 360 degree cameras. Since the Type S is the flagship sedan, should have all those features. The driving dynamics of the Type S, though, are top notch IMO and I found it super-fun to drive. I'd prefer SH-AWD in my daily driver than what passes for AWD on BMWs.

I was actually looking at a used RLX Sport Hybrid before I got my TLX-S, but I found the interior tech to be a little too dated. I really wished they added Android Auto / Apple Carplay on the RLX's MMC like they did with the G1 TLX MMC. It seemed like a strange omission as they took the time to refresh the exterior. You'd think the RLX ought have at least the same tech as a lesser model.

Pens Fan 12-16-2022 08:41 AM

Unfortunately since Acura omitted the Advance features from the Type S PMC I wonder if they will ever include them on a Type S. It was strange that they omitted them originally and mind boggling that they are not on the PMC!!!

Tony Pac 12-16-2022 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pens Fan (Post 16860864)
Unfortunately since Acura omitted the Advance features from the Type S PMC I wonder if they will ever include them on a Type S. It was strange that they omitted them originally and mind boggling that they are not on the PMC!!!

Disappointing tbh! The PMC at that price point should have A-Z. Probably Acura has something in the pipeline for MMC.

GhostTL09 12-16-2022 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16860881)
Disappointing tbh! The PMC at that price point should have A-Z. Probably Acura has something in the pipeline for MMC.

Some might say the TLX is a sharp looking vehicle, but is getting a bit stale. The PMC is a carryover to keep momentum I believe heading into the MMC. It really isn't costing Acura anything to produce them. Type-S has only been available for customer possesion since June of 2021. Seems like its been around 3 or 4 years already, but that may be because I'm on every forum known to man lol.

I think the MMC will have some fresh new goodies, not just refreshed bumpers and a new color option. I didn't jump on a PMC because I feel like my Tiger Eye is already a PMC type color. I think Comfort mode should be eliminated. On YSpokes suspension is still very firm feeling on rough roads and bumps. Normal/Sport/Sport+ only.

DMZ 12-16-2022 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pens Fan (Post 16860864)
Unfortunately since Acura omitted the Advance features from the Type S PMC I wonder if they will ever include them on a Type S. It was strange that they omitted them originally and mind-boggling that they are not on the PMC!!!

This is just one more dunce cap worn by Acura. I'm extremely disappointed in the extremely limited color and color combination choices, forcing the A-Spec package on people who don't really want it while making them pay for it, and in this day and age of unstable gas prices, a car that gets less than 30 MPG on the highway while requiring premium as of course — not doing it for me!

All this Acura not giving a shit started back in 2004 when the models above and below the TL had turn signal mirrors and the TL didn't. Back then, if you ordered A-Spec, you got an enhanced suspension. Now A-Spec is all cosmetic mumbo jumbo.

Guess all this doesn't matter to Acura since they're selling every RDX and MDX they can build. Where are the hybrids and plug-in hybrids, Acura? All the competition like Lexus and BMW are killing it with hybrids. If Acura was as market worthy as they'd like us to think they are, we'd be able to buy a TLX hybrid and an RDX hybrid by now.
....:smash:
Acura

sombasol 12-16-2022 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by GhostTL09 (Post 16860943)

I think the MMC will have some fresh new goodies, not just refreshed bumpers and a new color option. I didn't jump on a PMC because I feel like my Tiger Eye is already a PMC type color. I think Comfort mode should be eliminated. On YSpokes suspension is still very firm feeling on rough roads and bumps. Normal/Sport/Sport+ only.

would love to see liquid carbon as an option but i still likely would have chosen apex blue. I need comfort mode still so i can do quiet cold starts lol. I would be shocked if they didnt take the larger MDX screen. There is room for it and its in the parts bin. The problem is that it is a price sensitive car, it cant get a whole lot more expensive or it will loose its biggest selling point.

Nexx 12-16-2022 06:20 PM

I'll save everyone time. German is better. End of thread.

richii0207 12-16-2022 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nexx (Post 16861021)
I'll save everyone time. German is better. End of thread.

Germany and Japan need to catch up to the US’ EV tech. They are both significantly behind Lucid, Tesla, and Rivian. After all, EV is the future.

neuronbob 12-16-2022 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bilirubin (Post 16860828)
I was actually looking at a used RLX Sport Hybrid before I got my TLX-S, but I found the interior tech to be a little too dated. I really wished they added Android Auto / Apple Carplay on the RLX's MMC like they did with the G1 TLX MMC. It seemed like a strange omission as they took the time to refresh the exterior. You'd think the RLX ought have at least the same tech as a lesser model.

Totally a weird omission, and probably a decision made by bean counters. Thankfully, Grom and NavTool have aftermarket solutions for this. I run a Grom VLine 2 in my RLX. Wireless CarPlay is awesome!

Tony Pac 12-23-2022 11:45 AM

KIA newsroom: Stinger 2.0 is on its way! Stay tune and SOON, we will come back with our new Stinger 2.0, which will have 450HP, 0-60 in less than 3 seconds and we promise that this time, the car will not be discontinued! But for now, please buy the 1,000 units that we are producing. Please save us from embarrassment in Acurazine forum! We need your financial support and not Keyboard warrior behavior!

Thank you,
Song Ho-Sung (President & CEO)

ESHBG 12-23-2022 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16862052)
KIA newsroom: Stinger 2.0 is on its way! Stay tune and SOON, we will come back with our new Stinger 2.0, which will have 450HP, 0-60 in less than 3 seconds and we promise that this time, the car will not be discontinued! But for now, please buy the 1,000 units that we are producing. Please save us from embarrassment in Acurazine forum! We need your financial support and not Keyboard warrior behavior!

Thank you,
Song Ho-Sung (President & CEO)

Since you like to cross post, enjoy:

Nov. sales. The TLX is KILLING IT! BEST CAR IN THE SEGMENT!

TLX 674 1,147 -41.2% 10,694 25,447 -58.0%

https://acuraconnected.com/2022/12/0...-sales-report/

Dead, and will be joining the Stinger SOON.

Tony Pac 12-23-2022 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16862064)
Since you like to cross post, enjoy:

Nov. sales. The TLX is KILLING IT! BEST CAR IN THE SEGMENT!

TLX 674 1,147 -41.2% 10,694 25,447 -58.0%

https://acuraconnected.com/2022/12/0...-sales-report/

Dead, and will be joining the Stinger SOON.

We will all buy Stinger brother! Stinger 2.0 :) and even diehard Acura fans like you will go get one. 450HP. Imagine :)

ESHBG 12-23-2022 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16862067)
We will all buy Stinger brother! Stinger 2.0 :) and even diehard Acura fans like you will go get one. 450HP. Imagine :)

Acura's current lineup is awesome! 360 camera, fold in mirrors, remote start on ALL trims. Oh wait never mind, I would need to purchase another manufacturer's car for half the price to get all of that. It's that kind of thrill :clap:

Tony Pac 12-24-2022 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16862083)
Acura's current lineup is awesome! 360 camera, fold in mirrors, remote start on ALL trims. Oh wait never mind, I would need to purchase another manufacturer's car for half the price to get all of that. It's that kind of thrill :clap:

Good job! I will call you Stinger 2.0 from now on :)

ESHBG 12-24-2022 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16862172)
Good job! I will call you Stinger 2.0 from now on :)

Sure! And don't forget to go buy your TLX so that it doesn't join your new favorite car in the graveyard. I know that it's missing a lot of options and you need to pay a premium for it but you don't mind, Acura is the greatest car company EVER.

richii0207 12-24-2022 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16862176)
Sure! And don't forget to go buy your TLX so that it doesn't join your new favorite car in the graveyard. I know that it's missing a lot of options and you need to pay a premium for it but you don't mind, Acura is the greatest car company EVER.

Which options is the Type S missing other than wireless CP/AA and 360 cam (US doesn’t have)? Only reason why I ask is because you mentioned “lots of options” missing. Wanted to see if I was missing anything else.

jhb31 12-25-2022 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by DMZ (Post 16860970)

Guess all this doesn't matter to Acura since they're selling every RDX and MDX they can build. Where are the hybrids and plug-in hybrids, Acura? All the competition like Lexus and BMW are killing it with hybrids. If Acura was as market worthy as they'd like us to think they are, we'd be able to buy a TLX hybrid and an RDX hybrid by now.
....:smash:
Acura

One thing I never got is that with Acura everything seems to have to filter up from Honda the last 8 or so years and sometimes never make it. For example a mid level trim civic in 2016 had digital dash and remote start in a car that was barely over 20k. I just don't see how with Acura being the step above Honda how it is regularly behind on basic features in a lower priced honda. Granted they have resisted having any awd cars in the Honda lineup which if added would certainly cut TLX sales further. I really liked the days when a base Acura was pretty much fully loaded (3rd gen comes to mind). So as for hybrids/EV's I fully expect Honda to be way in front of Acura. Frankly if you don't want AWD there is very little reason not to opt for a top trim Accord for under 40k. On a side note I think I finally saw a TLX type S on the road for the first time although I cant be sure as I didnt get a view of the back to check the exhaust pipes. With the Aspec trim they don't look to much different to me outside of the exhaust pipes. 3rd gen I could spot pretty easily by the side skirts/tailights/side marker lights/exhaust/waffle wheels.

MarcoTLX 12-25-2022 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by jhb31 (Post 16862223)
One thing I never got is that with Acura everything seems to have to filter up from Honda the last 8 or so years and sometimes never make it. For example a mid level trim civic in 2016 had digital dash and remote start in a car that was barely over 20k. I just don't see how with Acura being the step above Honda how it is regularly behind on basic features in a lower priced honda. Granted they have resisted having any awd cars in the Honda lineup which if added would certainly cut TLX sales further. I really liked the days when a base Acura was pretty much fully loaded (3rd gen comes to mind). So as for hybrids/EV's I fully expect Honda to be way in front of Acura. Frankly if you don't want AWD there is very little reason not to opt for a top trim Accord for under 40k. On a side note I think I finally saw a TLX type S on the road for the first time although I cant be sure as I didnt get a view of the back to check the exhaust pipes. With the Aspec trim they don't look to much different to me outside of the exhaust pipes. 3rd gen I could spot pretty easily by the side skirts/tailights/side marker lights/exhaust/waffle wheels.

well in the front the giveaway would be the Type-S badge and fog lights. A-Spec has fog lights and Type-S doesn’t (though I think it should’ve had fog lights)

richii0207 12-25-2022 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX (Post 16862229)
well in the front the giveaway would be the Type-S badge and fog lights. A-Spec has fog lights and Type-S doesn’t (though I think it should’ve had fog lights)

It couldn’t have fog lights because that’s where the secondary radiator sits.

fiatlux 12-25-2022 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jhb31 (Post 16862223)

This is the number one reason why Acura hasn’t then able to become a luxury automaker like Lexus and is instead relegated to “premium” status. Instead of features trickling down to their mainstream brand, features instead trickles up and is behind by a couple years. It’s insane that even the Civic got a fully digital dash and wireless CP/AA before the RDX and TLX. That’s why their marketing dept has to work extra hard to differentiate themselves from Honda. The only thing they can really lean on is SH-AWD, but even then some Hondas get it rebranded as i-VTM4.

It’s a symptom of the fact that HoMoCo just doesn’t invest in Acura and instead continues to view it as simply a branding exercise. Until it does so, it will remain a Honda Plus product and nothing more.

Tony Pac 12-27-2022 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ESHBG (Post 16862176)

Correct! Acura is the brand that keeps people like you glue here! That's the power of the brand.

ESHBG 12-27-2022 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 16862360)
Correct! Acura is the brand that keeps people like you glue here! That's the power of the brand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUH2PFUROYA&t=384s

Nah I am more of a fan of the old Acura and when the brand had value, direction and was a little more unique.

What's your prediction on December's TLX sales? How big of a decrease this time?