TLX Awards & Accolades Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 06:39 AM
Pro

Received 504 Likes on 247 Posts
TLX Awards & Accolades Thread...

Now that the new TLX is out, it's time for a thread dedicated to the awards it's racking in. Time to pop a bottle 🍾🥂 ...

2021 MotorWeek Driver's Choice Awards - Best Luxury Sedan: Acura TLX
Acura TLX
Best Luxury Sedan is always a hard one to pick, as luxury has many meanings. But, the all-new Acura TLX fits our definition with technology, comfort, space, plus an ample helping of performance, that made it our hands down favorite. Now, the TLX doesn’t always stand out from the crowd in the ways of traditional luxury cars; it never feels overly posh or pretentious. Yet, it offers a great mix of well-done amenities, compliant ride, and precise handling; plus great techie stuff, that makes it seem a little smarter than the rest, and you a little wiser for choosing it.
The following 6 users liked this post by bilirubin:
a35tl (02-15-2021), ELIN (02-16-2021), F23A4 (02-16-2021), NBP04TL4ME (02-15-2021), savvich (02-15-2021), Tony Pac (02-15-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:45 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 146 Posts
I've been saying it since the end of November; this car ROCKS!
Best of the 8 Acura's I've owned since '98
Plenty of power, tech, handling, & the best damn ELS system , you could ask for;(ASPEC, & Advance)
Is it perfect, NO; but show me a $47,000 car that is
Pound for pound, it's great; at my age, don't need 355 horses
Enough said
The following 4 users liked this post by CPR:
a35tl (02-15-2021), bilirubin (02-15-2021), cyx (03-19-2021), savvich (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts

Fire
The following 6 users liked this post by Nexx:
a35tl (02-15-2021), bilirubin (02-15-2021), CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-16-2021), dopeboy1 (02-15-2021), savvich (02-15-2021), Terragotti (02-15-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2021, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx

Fire
Looks really hot in that pic!!
Old 02-15-2021, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts

Fire
Do people really want a car that looks fast but absolutely isn’t? Serious question.
The following 4 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
BEAR-AvHistory (02-15-2021), dj5 (11-10-2023), silverTL6 (02-23-2021), Tesla1856 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 08:05 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Do people really want a car that looks fast but absolutely isn’t? Serious question.
I mean, that's basically describing the "import scene" for the past 30+ years ...

The following 2 users liked this post by leomio85:
cyx (03-19-2021), silverTL6 (02-23-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I get it. You love fast cars... that's fine. I enjoy driving my 94 Legend coupe 6 speed and its slow as balls. My E39 M5 is pretty slow for today's standards, its fast but I love driving it. I traded my built TT 350z that put down 525whp for the M5 and I have never regretted it. Not everyone has to drive fast cars to enjoy them. Go spend more time on the R8 forums.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexx:
cyx (03-19-2021), RENARELLO (02-18-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

I get it. You love fast cars... that's fine. I enjoy driving my 94 Legend coupe 6 speed and its slow as balls. My E39 M5 is pretty slow for today's standards, its fast but I love driving it. I traded my built TT 350z that put down 525whp for the M5 and I have never regretted it. Not everyone has to drive fast cars to enjoy them. Go spend more time on the R8 forums.
You’ve completely missed the point. The TLX, in stock form, is fine. It’s a known quantity. But when you lower it, put on 20” wheels with rubber band tires, and an aggressive body kit, there are expectations that come with it. Imagine driving that specific visually-modded TLX and an AMG or an M or an RS car pulls up alongside.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
pyrodan007 (02-16-2021), Tesla1856 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

You’ve completely missed the point. The TLX, in stock form, is fine. It’s a known quantity. But when you lower it, put on 20” wheels with rubber band tires, and an aggressive body kit, there are expectations that come with it. Imagine driving that specific visually-modded TLX and an AMG or an M or an RS car pulls up alongside.
but you didnt pay AMG, M or RS money nor do you car to pay for the maintaining one of those cars. Acura isnt trying to compete with any of those vehicles. Are you going to penalize the TLX for looking good and sporty? Sporty is a lot of different things to different people. To you apparently speed is of of your most important criteria when it comes to sporty. I get it. I understand. Try to understand who Acura is trying to sell this vehicle to. Its not for you I get it but that doesnt make the TLX a bad car by any stretch like you would like to make it to be. Too many people want Acura to build M, RS and AMG type cars but that's not their goal. They are trying tap into the buyer who is currently driving a Camry or Accord and just want something a bit more premium with a touch of sport. Trying to get ES350 clients who want more driver engagement. I have a feeling the Tuner community is going to have a field day with the TLX modding it and get a lot of untapped potential out of the current powertrain for those want closer to German power.
The following users liked this post:
cyx (03-19-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by CPR
I've been saying it since the end of November; this car ROCKS!
Best of the 8 Acura's I've owned since '98
Plenty of power, tech, handling, & the best damn ELS system , you could ask for;(ASPEC, & Advance)
Is it perfect, NO; but show me a $47,000 car that is
Pound for pound, it's great; at my age, don't need 355 horses
Enough said
Spot on. I've only once in 15 years play-raced another car with my TL and I lost. But I laughed knowing he paid another $12k to be called a prick in a BMW (sorry BMW fans). I commute and I like a spirited vehicle with comfort and could not care a less about fractions of a second 0-60. Does this car "make me happy" is more important to me than "can I make others embarrassed about their car". Besides, I learned in high school, there's always going to be someone bigger and badder than you : )
Old 02-15-2021, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

but you didnt pay AMG, M or RS money nor do you car to pay for the maintaining one of those cars. Acura isnt trying to compete with any of those vehicles. Are you going to penalize the TLX for looking good and sporty? Sporty is a lot of different things to different people. To you apparently speed is of of your most important criteria when it comes to sporty. I get it. I understand. Try to understand who Acura is trying to sell this vehicle to. Its not for you I get it but that doesnt make the TLX a bad car by any stretch like you would like to make it to be. Too many people want Acura to build M, RS and AMG type cars but that's not their goal. They are trying tap into the buyer who is currently driving a Camry or Accord and just want something a bit more premium with a touch of sport. Trying to get ES350 clients who want more driver engagement. They are aiming for the Audi A4, 328i and C class buyers. All those cars are sporty looking yet are low/mid 14 second quarter mile cars. I have a feeling the Tuner community is going to have a field day with the TLX modding it and get a lot of untapped potential out of the current powertrain for those want closer to German power.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

but you didnt pay AMG, M or RS money nor do you car to pay for the maintaining one of those cars. Acura isnt trying to compete with any of those vehicles. Are you going to penalize the TLX for looking good and sporty? Sporty is a lot of different things to different people. To you apparently speed is of of your most important criteria when it comes to sporty. I get it. I understand. Try to understand who Acura is trying to sell this vehicle to. Its not for you I get it but that doesnt make the TLX a bad car by any stretch like you would like to make it to be. Too many people want Acura to build M, RS and AMG type cars but that's not their goal. They are trying tap into the buyer who is currently driving a Camry or Accord and just want something a bit more premium with a touch of sport. Trying to get ES350 clients who want more driver engagement. I have a feeling the Tuner community is going to have a field day with the TLX modding it and get a lot of untapped potential out of the current powertrain for those want closer to German power.
You do realize that the blue A-spec pictured above is FWD, right? And it’s got a stock motor. So back to my original question: who would want a car that’s been modded to look so aggressive but can’t back up those looks?
Old 02-15-2021, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

You do realize that the blue A-spec pictured above is FWD, right? And it’s got a stock motor. So back to my original question: who would want a car that’s been modded to look so aggressive but can’t back up those looks?
ok go write a letter to Acura.... please stop making great, aggressive looking vehicles and make them look boring to better match the performance. are you happy now? at least you have an option for FWD vs AWD.
cnst (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 11:05 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Come on, Sebring. The car has only been dropped a couple of inches, factory underbody kit added, and stock rims replaced. It you must toss blame throw it at Acura for creating an attractive wrapper for a car that only does a 5.9 0-60. By the way most people, in particular ones who lower their vehicles, are not interested in driving like idiots on public roads and very few if any would choose to track it. Believe it or not some folks are completely satisfied with a head turning vehicle, with a compliant ride, boss sound system, attractive cabin, and upper mid level performance.

Last edited by Honda430; 02-15-2021 at 11:09 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Honda430:
a35tl (02-16-2021), cyx (03-19-2021), DLM1213 (02-16-2021), Edward'TLS (02-16-2021), ELIN (02-16-2021), Flapjackura (02-16-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2021, 12:34 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
Come on, Sebring. The car has only been dropped a couple of inches, factory underbody kit added, and stock rims replaced. It you must toss blame throw it at Acura for creating an attractive wrapper for a car that only does a 5.9 0-60. By the way most people, in particular ones who lower their vehicles, are not interested in driving like idiots on public roads and very few if any would choose to track it. Believe it or not some folks are completely satisfied with a head turning vehicle, with a compliant ride, boss sound system, attractive cabin, and upper mid level performance.
Agree. 5.9s 0-60 is already fast enough for the average Acura owners.

Every car buyers have their unique taste and priorities. Some car enthusiasts want a head-turning look more than a 4sec car, whereas others want 4sec car even if has a bland exterior styling.

Anyone wants a faster Acura can wait for the Type-S, or go for the NSX if the Type-S is still too slow, or, as a last resort, go and buy from another auto maker.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

ok go write a letter to Acura.... please stop making great, aggressive looking vehicles and make them look boring to better match the performance. are you happy now? at least you have an option for FWD vs AWD.
Erm....Acura didn’t make the great, aggressive looking vehicle I’m talking about. Mike over at AHC Garage put the BC Racing coilovers and the Vossen wheels on it. Granted, the body kit is OEM but my guess is 99% of TLX buyers will be unwilling to pay for that kit. You guys are being deliberately ignorant about what I’m saying, which is why not just leave the car alone. Turning a fairly good looking car into what looks like a fast performance sedan without making the extra leap to bolster its performance is just asking for condescension and ridicule. It’s literally all show and no go. It would have been better to leave well enough alone.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Erm....Acura didn’t make the great, aggressive looking vehicle I’m talking about. Mike over at AHC Garage put the BC Racing coilovers and the Vossen wheels on it. Granted, the body kit is OEM but my guess is 99% of TLX buyers will be unwilling to pay for that kit. You guys are being deliberately ignorant about what I’m saying, which is why not just leave the car alone. Turning a fairly good looking car into what looks like a fast performance sedan without making the extra leap to bolster its performance is just asking for condescension and ridicule. It’s literally all show and no go. It would have been better to leave well enough alone.
Old saying "if it don't go chrome it". Get the point. Its like BMW guys who remove the 328 or 330 numbers to make the trunk look clean.

Its also true that most TLX buyers could care less about performance but are all waiting for the Type S 0-60 & 1/4 mile numbers to be released.

0-60 & 1/4 mile times

507 posts

Of course if the numbers suck no one will live their life traffic light to traffic light. But if they are good Acura is Back

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-16-2021 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
IMO, this thread should maintain the integrity set forth by the OP. We already have an infinite number of discussion threads infiltrated by TLX-shaming.
The following 6 users liked this post by F23A4:
a35tl (02-16-2021), bilirubin (02-16-2021), CheeseyPoofs McNut (02-16-2021), cyx (03-19-2021), Legend2TL (02-16-2021), RENARELLO (02-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:26 AM
Pro

Let's get back on topic, winning awards and poppin' bottles! 🍾

Popular Science 100 greatest innovations of 2020: TLX Passenger Air Bag
The airbag, reimagined
In the US, car accidents account for more than 16,000 fatal brain injuries every year, and a portion of those happen in the passenger’s seat. Acura’s 2021 TLX features a uniquely redesigned bag that eases impact on those delicate noggins. While a conventional airbag inflates into a bulbous balloon that heads can easily slip or slide off, the TLX’s offering looks more like a catcher’s mitt. Immediately after impact, three chambers inflate, two of which extend out to wrap around the rider, gently guiding their head into the bag like a baseball going into a well-padded glove. The formation cushions passengers earlier in impact than past models and keeps them cradled on the airbag during an off-center hit. Ultimately, the design promises to reduce the profound rotational forces that slam brain tissue into the skull during a wreck. Though the bag debuted in the TLX, Acura’s parent company, Honda, has agreed to let other manufacturers use the technology down the line.
ELIN (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:37 AM
Drifting

Received 1,270 Likes on 924 Posts
Yes.

Back on topic, didn’t this TLX win IIHS top ratings? I think the new airbag tech helped.
cyx (03-19-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,261 Likes on 2,632 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
IMO, this thread should maintain the integrity set forth by the OP. We already have an infinite number of discussion threads infiltrated by TLX-shaming.
+1,

As for awards, here's one exceptional TLX performance award that can save lives.
That small overlap test (reflective of real world headon collisions) had excellent chassis and passenger results.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...highway-safety

2021 Acura TLX Sport Sedan Earns Pinnacle Safety Award from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

December 18, 2020 — TORRANCE, CALIF.
TLX achieves highest possible 2020 IIHS safety rating: TOP SAFETY PICK+
2021 TLX debuted all-new passenger front airbag design, recently dubbed a "Best of What’s New" by Popular Science magazine
The all-new 2021 Acura TLX sport sedan has earned a TOP SAFETY PICK+ (TSP+) rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the highest possible safety rating from the Institute. The 2021 TLX earned TSP+ by achieving a top rating of "GOOD" in all crashworthiness tests, a "SUPERIOR" rating for its Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) with Pedestrian Detection as part of the standard AcuraWatch™ safety and driver-assistive technology, and standard "GOOD" rated headlights. The all-new TLX joins the Acura RDX compact SUV in receiving the Institute’s pinnacle 2020 award for the brand.

Continuing to advance Acura’s "Safety Through Innovation" approach to enhancing safety performance, the 2021 TLX features the newest generation of Acura's Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, new high-strength steel door stiffener rings, and for the first time, eight airbags, which includes new driver and front-passenger knee airbags. The AcuraWatch™ suite of safety and driver-assistive technologies is standard on every 2021 TLX, which, in addition to Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) with Pedestrian Detection, includes Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow, Forward Collision Warning, Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) incorporating Lane Departure Warning (LDW), and Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS). Acura JewelEye™ LED headlights help TLX achieve its best-in-class ratings.

Breaking new ground in safety equipment, the all-new TLX debuted an innovative new multi-chamber passenger front airbag technology which was recently recognized as a "Best of What’s New" for 2020 by Popular Science and was further distinguished as the "Grand Award" winner among all of the year’s automotive award entrants. Representing a major leap forward in airbag design, it is the world’s first passenger front airbag intended to address the recently recognized issue of severe brain trauma associated with angled frontal collisions. This ground- breaking new technology also will be standard equipment on the all-new 2022 Acura MDX 3- row luxury SUV when it goes on sale early next year.

Full details on Acura’s next-generation passenger front airbag and other safety innovations, as featured in the all-new 2021 TLX, can be found here: acura.us/safetyinnovation.

To earn the 2020 TOP SAFETY PICK+ award, a vehicle must earn "GOOD" crashworthiness ratings in all test modes, including the challenging passenger-side small overlap test. The vehicle also needs available front crash prevention (standard on TLX) that earns an "ADVANCED" or "SUPERIOR" rating in both vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to- pedestrian testing and standard headlights with a "GOOD" or "ACCEPTABLE" rating.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-16-2021 at 07:00 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
bilirubin (02-16-2021), cyx (03-19-2021), ELIN (02-16-2021), F23A4 (02-16-2021), NBP04TL4ME (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
+1,

As for awards, here's one exceptional TLX performance award that can save lives.
That small overlap test (reflective of real world headon collisions) had excellent chassis and passenger results.
Nice piece from Acura PR department in Torrance CA. for a change. Real stuff that is very capable, truly worthwhile & actually in the car. Well done.
cyx (03-19-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 06:39 AM
Pro

Autotrader Best New Cars for 2021: Acura TLX
With the fully redesigned Acura TLX and new MDX, we’re seeing Honda’s luxury brand return to its roots with an emphasis on performance and technology. This is much more than an Accord wearing its Sunday best. Brian says the new TLX is an “excellent sport sedan” that’s “fun and good-looking.” He added that the car “revives the spirit of the old TL but does it in a completely modern way,” which is exactly what we hoped to see in the new TLX. Rob thinks the TLX “embodies confidence and comfort with its nimble handling, smooth ride and pleasing engine note while providing a bevy of tech features, well appointed-interior and refined exterior.” Nestora adds “What’s not to love?” Chris praised the TLX as having “similar sensibility as Lexus, but closer to the Europeans in terms of emotional appeal.” If you’re in the market for a midsize sport sedan, but you don’t like the price or ownership costs of the German all-stars, then the TLX is an excellent alternative with little compromise.
DLM1213 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bilirubin
omg someone who doesn’t judge a car solely by it’s 0-60 times. What an idiot!! We should all be living a quarter mile at a time!!
Old 02-17-2021, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
omg someone who doesn’t judge a car solely by it’s 0-60 times. What an idiot!! We should all be living a quarter mile at a time!!
Old 11-07-2023, 10:06 AM
Pro

the TLX just won Newsweek Auto's Best Premium Car of 2023. Interestingly the Accord won Best Midsize Car.

https://www.newsweek.com/2023-autos-...vehicle-awards
The following 2 users liked this post by bilirubin:
MarcoTLX (11-07-2023), Tony Pac (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 10:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,617 Likes on 974 Posts
Well deserved! TLX is very underrated. I am glad the 2024 brings some nice features to end users.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
the TLX just won Newsweek Auto's Best Premium Car of 2023. Interestingly the Accord won Best Midsize Car.

https://www.newsweek.com/2023-autos-...vehicle-awards
What is a “premium” car?

It’s apparently not luxury, because the Merc E-class won that. Is it just an odd no-man’s land between “normal” cars like the Accord, and true luxury cars like the E-class?
Flapjackura (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by ijm5012
What is a “premium” car?

It’s apparently not luxury, because the Merc E-class won that. Is it just an odd no-man’s land between “normal” cars like the Accord, and true luxury cars like the E-class?
You have summed it up nicely. Higher-end vehicles from non-luxury makers such as the Nissan Maxima, Kia Stinger, and Toyota Crown, to me, occupy the premium space as well. With Acura, Honda seems to have gone the premium route vs full-on luxury route taken by Lexus and Infiniti. Could be viewed as odd, perhaps, but it's likely they wanted to create a unique, middle ground, in-between luxury and premium niche for themselves.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,617 Likes on 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Flapjackura
You have summed it up nicely. Higher-end vehicles from non-luxury makers such as the Nissan Maxima, Kia Stinger, and Toyota Crown, to me, occupy the premium space as well. With Acura, Honda seems to have gone the premium route vs full-on luxury route taken by Lexus and Infiniti. Could be viewed as odd, perhaps, but it's likely they wanted to create a unique, middle ground, in-between luxury and premium niche for themselves.
Agreed! I will add one more thing. Acura has done really well balancing premium/luxury with sport and keeping the cost under control. For example, if you take a 3 Series or A4 vs TLX. The difference in terms of material, fit an finfish are not huge. In some areas, Audi does it better, in others, BMW and some Acura. But still Acura is cheaper if you compare apple to apple.
Lastly, Infiniti is the sad story here. They tried RWD, more luxury and more performance but failed due to not having a clear mission or target audience.

MarcoTLX (11-15-2023)