Moving into a Type S

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 07:16 AM
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
I think given the rapid price increases on the TLX over the past couple years, if you’re buying new, spend the extra $6k and get a Type-S over the A-Spec. At $50k for an A-Spec, I don’t see the value against the competition, and a Type-S is only $6k more.

In my case, I bought my ‘21 A-Spec CPO, so it was $8k less than new, with equivalent warranty coverage. There aren’t any used Type-S’ out there, and if there are, they’re not a good deal. So for me, a Type-S would’ve been an extra ~$15k over the A-Spec I bought, which wasn’t worth it IMO.

As far as speed goes, I have a K Tuner Stage 2 tune on my car, and it’s plenty quick (in the mid 5’s 0-60). It’s certainly fast enough to get you in seriously trouble with the Police, has plenty of passing power on the highway, and even driving around back roads, it’s easy to find yourself going 10-15mph over the speed limit and not realize it. The SH-AWD makes for a good handling car as well, despite it needing to be put on a diet.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 07:27 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by ijm5012
At $50k for an A-Spec, I don’t see the value against the competition, and a Type-S is only $6k more.
The sad part is it's only $6700k more on paper. On the street, dealers are known to add ADM that's typically in the thousands due to the limited supply of the Type S.
An ADM of $4000 means now the delta is over $10,000 b/w the 2 cars.

There is a whole thread devoted to identifying the few dealers who WILL NOT charge ADM on the Type S.
MarcoTLX (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ELIN
The sad part is it's only $6700k more on paper. On the street, dealers are known to add ADM that's typically in the thousands due to the limited supply of the Type S.

There is a whole thread devoted to identifying the few dealers who WILL NOT charge ADM on the Type S.
Acura’s biggest proposition, IMO, against the luxury competition was their value. However it seems like a lot of that has been eroded over the past couple years with multi-thousand dollar MSRP increases YoY.

MSRP on a 2023 A-Spec is nearly $4k more than it was for 2021 A-Spec, and they’re literally the exact same car.

I suppose we’ll see what the MMC brings to try to justify the higher price later this year. At $46k, I thought the TLX was a good value. As it pushes $50k, I’m not as certain anymore.

Just my personal opinion having owned the car for a while now, and test driven a lot of the competition prior to making my purchase.
F23A4 (04-01-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 07:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Acura’s biggest proposition, IMO, against the luxury competition was their value. However it seems like a lot of that has been eroded over the past couple years with multi-thousand dollar MSRP increases YoY.

MSRP on a 2023 A-Spec is nearly $4k more than it was for 2021 A-Spec, and they’re literally the exact same car.

I suppose we’ll see what the MMC brings to try to justify the higher price later this year. At $46k, I thought the TLX was a good value. As it pushes $50k, I’m not as certain anymore.

Just my personal opinion having owned the car for a while now, and test driven a lot of the competition prior to making my purchase.

To be fair, it's not Acura or Honda but the entire industry. The whole market is upside down. I am not sure when things will be normal but right now it's not a great time to buy. I thought with interest rate increases car market will slow down but that's not the case either. We have to wait and see!
MarcoTLX (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:25 AM
Drifting

I hear what you're saying. In many manufacturing industries, a product may sell for a loss in its first year but over time, it gets cheaper to make the product as the assembly gets more efficient and the R&D is written off. This of course assumes the the product has kept its retail price same as the first year and assumes variable costs to the manufacturer have gone down.

I agree Acura is selling essentially the same TLX since '21 but MSRP has risen, losing more of its "value proposition". Keeping up the with the Joneses (or in this case, the Germans) on price I think is extremely dangerous for Acura. It's a gamble we can reassess once this gen is done and the 3G TLX arrives.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
F23A4 (04-01-2023), MarcoTLX (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts

It's not that they're increasing prices per se; it's macroeconomic inflationary effects that's making everything more expensive. In 2021, $46K would be equivalent to $51K today. From that lense, the TLX prices have stayed flat.
richii0207 (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:04 PM
®

Received 474 Likes on 224 Posts

Not really a case in my area (Chicago suburbs). There are almost 57 TLX-S in a 30 mile range search. My local dealer (Highland Park Acura) is one of the smallest volume Acura dealers I've ever seen (literally mom and pop operation) has 4 TLX-S (5 if you count one PMC).

Supply across the board is not only catching up but exceeding demand, not just with Acura but every OEM. Even Honda who had THE worst supply of cars past 18 months (literally empty lots on end) is pushing cars out. Add to that crazy interest rates and not only you shouldn't be paying $1 over MSRP for ANY car (even Type R) but you should send out feeler emails to every dealer under 50 miles from you and ask for a quote on the TLX-S. I think you'll be surprised how quickly they respond. This isn't summer of 2022 anymore. Things are turning ugly for dealers (music to my ears).

Last edited by loki; 03-29-2023 at 03:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by loki:
DJ Iceman (04-01-2023), ELIN (03-29-2023), leomio2.0 (03-29-2023), MarcoTLX (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 07:07 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 374 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by loki
Not really a case in my area (Chicago suburbs). There are almost 57 TLX-S in a 30 mile range search. My local dealer (Highland Park Acura) is one of the smallest volume Acura dealers I've ever seen (literally mom and pop operation) has 4 TLX-S (5 if you count one PMC).

Supply across the board is not only catching up but exceeding demand, not just with Acura but every OEM. Even Honda who had THE worst supply of cars past 18 months (literally empty lots on end) is pushing cars out. Add to that crazy interest rates and not only you shouldn't be paying $1 over MSRP for ANY car (even Type R) but you should send out feeler emails to every dealer under 50 miles from you and ask for a quote on the TLX-S. I think you'll be surprised how quickly they respond. This isn't summer of 2022 anymore. Things are turning ugly for dealers (music to my ears).

I have to agree the exclusivity is escaping and though I’m happy inventory is going back up. My local-ish dealer Pohanka Acura has 8 TLX Type-S on the lot as of last weekend. I’m jaded cause the Type-S won’t feel as special I mean Acura apparently discontinued certain trim levels of the TLX to ramp up Type-S production. I prefer it if they only built 2000 per year.

Edit: the msrp hike year-over-year is wild, I paid $57,745 for my Type-S I’d prefer the 2021 MSRP but alas I remind myself that I also am getting 2 years of free maintenance and 3 years of AcuraLink Premium subscription for free with the purchase of a 2023 model so I guess that justifies the msrp price I paid

Last edited by MarcoTLX; 03-29-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
I have to agree the exclusivity is escaping and though I’m happy inventory is going back up. My local-ish dealer Pohanka Acura has 8 TLX Type-S on the lot as of last weekend. I’m jaded cause the Type-S won’t feel as special I mean Acura apparently discontinued certain trim levels of the TLX to ramp up Type-S production. I prefer it if they only built 2000 per year.

Edit: the msrp hike year-over-year is wild, I paid $57,745 for my Type-S I’d prefer the 2021 MSRP but alas I remind myself that I also am getting 2 years of free maintenance and 3 years of AcuraLink Premium subscription for free with the purchase of a 2023 model so I guess that justifies the msrp price I paid
It's too bad Acura didn't make the free scheduled maintenance 3 years and chose instead to match Lexus/Toyota. This was a lost opportunity by Acura to create some market distinction.
There's barely any "maintenance" in the first 2 years as it is!
MarcoTLX (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 07:41 AM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
It's too bad Acura didn't make the free scheduled maintenance 3 years and chose instead to match Lexus/Toyota. This was a lost opportunity by Acura to create some market distinction.
Included maintenance is included maintenance, regardless if it’s 2 or 3 years. I wouldn’t complain about something that’s complimentary. I would’ve liked the included maintenance on my Type S.

What is different in maintenance from year to 1-2 and 2-3?
Old 03-30-2023, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by richii0207
Included maintenance is included maintenance, regardless if it’s 2 or 3 years. I wouldn’t complain about something that’s complimentary. I would’ve liked the included maintenance on my Type S.

What is different in maintenance from year to 1-2 and 2-3?
If we're taking that approach, then we should factor in the 3 year maintenance that is "hidden" in the cost of getting a BMW. Who's going to nitpick that point?
Old 03-30-2023, 08:53 AM
Pro

If we're taking that approach, then we should factor in the 3 year maintenance that is "hidden" in the cost of getting a BMW. Who's going to nitpick that point?
And Jaguar includes maintenance for 5yr/60k. What’s your point?
Old 03-30-2023, 09:44 AM
Drifting

And Jaguar includes maintenance for 5yr/60k. What’s your point?
My point is your nonchalant attitude about "free maintenance" makes it seem like it doesn't cost the car manufacturer anything. When making decisions on what car to buy, this could be a factor (Acura felt it was important enough to include starting with '23 models).

It's a real cost!
Old 03-30-2023, 09:48 AM
AZ Community Team

Acura doesn't need maintenance. It's not German and Korean You will need extended and Elite maintenance and warranty soon for BMW...ACURA makes the best cars in the world. Design, engine, reliability and resale value. A package that except Lexus no one can match!
MarcoTLX (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:51 AM
Pro

My point is your nonchalant attitude about "free maintenance" makes it seem like it doesn't cost the car manufacturer anything. When making decisions on what car to buy, this could be a factor (Acura felt it was important enough to include starting with '23 models).

It's a real cost!
Perfect. Considering the cost of the Type S has remained the same (after inflationary adjustment) with the added bonus of included maintenance, what’s the problem?

Acura basically kept the same price and added a perk which costs the manufacturer money.
MarcoTLX (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Acura doesn't need maintenance. It's not German and Korean You will need extended and Elite maintenance and warranty soon for BMW...ACURA makes the best cars in the world. Design, engine, reliability and resale value. A package that except Lexus no one can match!
Acuras don't need oil changes, trans/diff fluid, etc?
Old 03-30-2023, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Perfect. Considering the cost of the Type S has remained the same (after inflationary adjustment) with the added bonus of included maintenance, what’s the problem?

Acura basically kept the same price and added a perk which costs the manufacturer money.
If you reread my initial post, I said it was a missed opportunity for Acura to make free maintenance 3 years instead of 2. This would cover the period of the most common lease.
You took my comment in a different direction and I'm not sure why.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:58 PM
Pro

If you reread my initial post, I said it was a missed opportunity for Acura to make free maintenance 3 years instead of 2. This would cover the period of the most common lease.
You took my comment in a different direction and I'm not sure why.
Your initial comment was that Acura should have done 3 years of maintenance instead of 2 because there was barely any maintenance involved during the first 2 years.

Your second response was in a different (talking about BMW). Figured why not talk about another brand too, Jaguar.

Third response was regarding maintenance costing the manufacturers money. Hence why I responded with the Type S costing the same with the added maintenance .

My replies were directly addressing your comments…

Last edited by richii0207; 03-30-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by tony pac
acura doesn't need maintenance. It's not german and korean you will need extended and elite maintenance and warranty soon for bmw...acura makes the best cars in the world. Design, engine, reliability and resale value. A package that except lexus no one can match!
lol
Old 03-30-2023, 02:51 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Your initial comment was that Acura should have done 3 years of maintenance instead of 2 because there was barely any maintenance involved during the first 2 years.

Your second response was in a different (talking about BMW). Figured why not talk about another brand too, Jaguar.

Third response was regarding maintenance costing the manufacturers money. Hence why I responded with the Type S costing the same with the added maintenance .

Don't you know by now that ELIN can't be wrong, right? BMW owner for months now and is on this site just to be a pain in the a$$ with saying Acura now sucks.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Acuras don't need oil changes, trans/diff fluid, etc?

Acura/Honda will run 100K KM without any oil changes if you want lol! After all, that's why people buy Acuras and Hondas....Reliable, Reliable and Reliable is the key!
Old 03-30-2023, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I know you were being semi-sarcastic, but this attitude is actually held by many and it was this attitude that brought in more blown Honda & Toyota products than any other brand in my short stint as a mechanic.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:13 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
One of the first things that steered us to Honda auto products in the late 80s was some friends who bought a nice new Accord. And then they did not do a thing to it/for it for the next decade. No washing, no maintenance. Some kids hit it with an egg; it sat on the paint for several years. They did not believe in oil changes -- just top it off when it gets a little low. And after about 10 years, the car (while looking absolutely shitty) was still running like a top. I thought, "self, if a car can take that sort of abuse, it must be really well-engineered and reliable."

What followed has been some 3 decades with at least one (and sometimes 3) Hondas/Acuras in the household fleet. Over 800,000 miles collectively on them. The best Honda we had is our 2013 Accord EX 6MT/2.4. The best Acura is a tough one. My '92 Legend Coupe was very sweet and bulletproof. My 2010 TL has been trouble free, and while not as nicely styled as the Legend, would run rings around it. And we love our new Integra, a worthy successor to the two 2G Integra coupes we owned in the 90s.
The following 2 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
a35tl (04-02-2023), MarcoTLX (03-31-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 08:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by frainc
Don't you know by now that ELIN can't be wrong, right? BMW owner for months now and is on this site just to be a pain in the a$$ with saying Acura now sucks.
I love how everyone's panties get in a bunch when BMW is mentioned. The truth is, had you addressed my direct comparison to Lexus (first comment), there was no need for me to bring up BMW and the 3-year complimentary maintenance in a reply (if I truly had a BMW agenda, I would have brought it up in the first post).

I'm fine playing the villain. The TLX forum is too boring without drama.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:50 PM
Pro

I love how everyone's panties get in a bunch when BMW is mentioned. The truth is, had you addressed my direct comparison to Lexus (first comment), there was no need for me to bring up BMW and the 3-year complimentary maintenance in a reply (if I truly had a BMW agenda, I would have brought it up in the first post).

Someone’s starting to sound a lot like Bear.
The truth is, you were complaining about Acura choosing 2 years instead of 3 for included maintenance in your initial post. It is what it is whether you like it or not.

People are talking about all brands but you somehow think that people are upset with you for bringing up BMW? Calm down, we’re not talking about Porsche. Take your pessimism elsewhere.

Last edited by richii0207; 03-30-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:03 AM
Drifting

The truth is, you were complaining about Acura choosing 2 years instead of 3 for included maintenance in your initial post. It is what it is whether you like it or not.

People are talking about all brands but you somehow think that people are upset with you for bringing up BMW? Calm down, we’re not talking about Porsche. Take your pessimism elsewhere.
I can't ever sound like Bear because I have a much stronger position than he had. I've had the '18 MDX and the '21 TLX and recent ownership knowledge of Acuras. Perhaps that is what you fear the most!
Old 03-31-2023, 07:54 AM
AZ Community Team

hahaha! You got it right! You play it well..."I am done with Acura" and yet comment daily without any excuse! We love your presence here and I am not joking. You bring fun here!
Old 03-31-2023, 07:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I know you were being semi-sarcastic, but this attitude is actually held by many and it was this attitude that brought in more blown Honda & Toyota products than any other brand in my short stint as a mechanic.
Tbh, I wasn't even semi sarcastic. I was full sarcastic The whole point of message was that no car is perfect and Acura is far from it. Now Acura offers 2 years vs 3 years maintenance. Really? Who gives a sh1t? It's not like they give you A-Z coverage. If i can spend $60-$70K to buy the car, believe mw I won't mind a few hundred dollars every year for oil change.

We all know that cars are not made the same way as it used to be. Acura or Lexus. They have way too many electronics and issues. You know more than me since you're in the business, but today's cars aren't the same and they won't last 15 years. That said, don't take my words serious. i was just joking.
MarcoTLX (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
I can't ever sound like Bear because I have a much stronger position than he had. I've had the '18 MDX and the '21 TLX and recent ownership knowledge of Acuras. Perhaps that is what you fear the most!
Whatever did happen to Bear?

We all know that cars are not made the same way as it used to be. Acura or Lexus. They have way too many electronics and issues. You know more than me since you're in the business, but today's cars aren't the same and they won't last 15 years. That said, don't take my words serious. i was just joking.
Honestly, the biggest disappointment to me as been Lexus. It seems they're going away from everything that has made them into the behemoth they are today and are trying to play "catch up" rather than sticking to their laurels. I was actually excited for the new RX, but it seems like a massive dumpster fire after seeing all the reviews. All the nannies would drive me crazy ... I get it ... Lexus realizes the people that generally buy their products are deplorably terrible drivers, but come on. Tack that onto unrefined drivetrains and underwhelming suspension set-ups and it was quickly erased from my mind. But, I still see a bunch already driving around.
DJ Iceman (04-01-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 08:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Whatever did happen to Bear?
Story goes that he "forgot" his password and was conveniently never let back into AZ.

For the record, Bear didn't convince me to get a BMW. BMW convinced me to get a BMW. I laugh when people try to scare me about future maintenance costs. I'm already used to that after owning a number of MB, Audi, etc. The only cars I've never owned (that are popular in the US) is American and Korean.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:35 AM
Pro

Story goes that he "forgot" his password and was conveniently never let back into AZ.

For the record, Bear didn't convince me to get a BMW. BMW convinced me to get a BMW. I laugh when people try to scare me about future maintenance costs. I'm already used to that after owning a number of MB, Audi, etc. The only cars I've never owned (that are popular in the US) is American and Korean.
Nobody said he convinced you. *face palm*
Old 03-31-2023, 09:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by frainc
Never did address you directly.

When did "missed opportunity" become "Acura sucks"?
Old 03-31-2023, 10:12 AM
Drifting

They say that given enough time, the guilty will incriminate themselves.

How do you know Bear well enough to make that statement? According to AZ, you joined in Jan 2022 and Bear was cut off from AZ in April of the same year. The attached pics are public record and easily verifiable by anyone on AZ.

I can only think of 3 possibilities:

1) You enjoy demeaning other people because you think Acura needs to you to be its shield.
2) This is a duplicate account.
3) You were once banned and came back to AZ.

So which one is it?
Attached Thumbnails Moving into a Type S-bear-last-activity.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2023, 10:22 AM
Pro

They say that given enough time, the guilty will incriminate themselves.

How do you know Bear well enough to make that statement? According to AZ, you joined in Jan 2022 and Bear was cut off from AZ in April of the same year. The attached pics are public record and easily verifiable by anyone on AZ.

I can only think of 3 possibilities:

1) You enjoy demeaning other people because you think Acura needs to you to be its shield.
2) This is a duplicate account.
3) You were once banned and came back to AZ.

So which one is it?
Spitting out facts is not demeaning. If other members wanted to hear about my other 3 cars, I would talk about them. I wouldn’t want to sound like a Tesla or Honda fanboy by trying to find every way to incorporate them into the discussion…sound familiar?

Truth is, we started this discussion with you complaining about 2 years of free maintenance instead of 3. There’s nothing demanding about pointing that out. In fact, you shouldn’t feel entitled to anything free.

I can think of four possibilities:

1) You gave Bear your account
2) Insecure with your current brand
3) Too much free time on your hands based on how much you still post on these forums
4) Buyers remorse

Not sure what length of being registered has to do with anything…Talk about shifting topics! Congrats, you busted me for not being a user as long as Bear. Guilty as charged!

Last edited by richii0207; 03-31-2023 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts

When I was in for servicing, I noticed that the the 23 A-Spec sticked quite a bit higher than my 21 A-Spec. I remarked to my wife that I'm glad I got this when I did. ...and with the used car market at that time being so crazy, the equity on my 19 3.5 lease was around $2,000, coupled with loyalty cash it was deal I couldnt pass up. (Not as fast as the Type S, but the tune made up for it....just wish Wilwood would come out with a compatible brake kit.)
MarcoTLX (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by F23A4
When I was in for servicing, I noticed that the the 23 A-Spec sticked quite a bit higher than my 21 A-Spec. I remarked to my wife that I'm glad I got this when I did. ...and with the used car market at that time being so crazy, the equity on my 19 3.5 lease was around $2,000, coupled with loyalty cash it was deal I couldnt pass up. (Not as fast as the Type S, but the tune made up for it....just wish Wilwood would come out with a compatible brake kit.)
You can buy all the parts and put the Type-S front brakes on the A-Spec (rear brakes are the same, only the caliper is painted). People have done the swap for under $1k in parts.

Yes, I’m glad I got a 21 before the price hikes started for the 22 & 23 MY’s.

K Tuner running the built in Stage 2 tune makes the car plenty quick for normal driving on the street if you wanted a bit more punch from the K20C.
The following 2 users liked this post by ijm5012:
F23A4 (04-01-2023), MarcoTLX (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
You can buy all the parts and put the Type-S front brakes on the A-Spec (rear brakes are the same, only the caliper is painted). People have done the swap for under $1k in parts.

Yes, I’m glad I got a 21 before the price hikes started for the 22 & 23 MY’s.

K Tuner running the built in Stage 2 tune makes the car plenty quick for normal driving on the street if you wanted a bit more punch from the K20C.
Absolutely. My Phearable stage 3 never has me wanting for more power...also made me realize that my OEM brakes arent up to the challenge.

Sidenote: I did jot down the parts for a Type S Brembo conversion:

Driver Brembo Caliper: 45019-TGZ-A01
Passenger Brembo Caliper: 45018-TGZ-A01
Front Brembo Brake Pads: 45022-TGZ-A01
Driver Brake Shield: 45256-TGZ-A01
Passenger Brake Shield: 45255-TGZ-A01
Front Brake Rotors (2): 45251-TGZ-A01
Driver Brake Pipe: 46336-TGZ-A01
Passenger Brake Pipe: 46335-TGZ-A01
Brake Hoses (2): 01464-TGZ-A00
Driver Brake Bracket: 46427-TGV-A00
Passenger Brake Bracket: 46426-TGV-A00

Apologies for the

Old 04-01-2023, 07:51 PM
Racer

Never did address you directly.

When did "missed opportunity" become "Acura sucks"?
Look, you now have a BMW and fine, but coming back here everyday is really just being a pain in the a$$, saying the TLX forum is too boring without drama. What's the matter are the BMW forums too boring for you?
As you noted "I'm fine playing the villain", like I said, a a$$hole.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Looking forward to more Type S discussion (and not the ramblings of some near-octogenarian)!
Old 04-02-2023, 12:52 PM
Racer

Looking forward to more Type S discussion (and not the ramblings of some near-octogenarian)!
Fing funny, now you are a know all on Type S lol.

Quick Reply: Moving into a Type S