Low mileage maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Low mileage maintenance

Any concern on maintenance schedule when not driving that much? 23 Type-S purchased in January, and I've put less than 1200 miles on her. Did I read somewhere with the turbo you don't want oil sitting around in there? At this rate, I won't have 3K for the year.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:29 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 339 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhodge
Any concern on maintenance schedule when not driving that much? 23 Type-S purchased in January, and I've put less than 1200 miles on her. Did I read somewhere with the turbo you don't want oil sitting around in there? At this rate, I won't have 3K for the year.
Well not sure about that but I will say you should be changing the oil every 5k miles or every year. I recently purchased a daily car to drive, and thus I haven't driven my Type-S in about 2 weeks now. My service advisor at my Acura dealership told me to make sure I drive it atleast 1-2 times a month to keep the parts lubricated and moving and prevent tire flatspots from prolonged sitting.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Well not sure about that but I will say you should be changing the oil every 5k miles or every year. I recently purchased a daily car to drive, and thus I haven't driven my Type-S in about 2 weeks now. My service advisor at my Acura dealership told me to make sure I drive it atleast 1-2 times a month to keep the parts lubricated and moving and prevent tire flatspots from prolonged sitting.
I would think change the oil every year. Of course, will take to the dealer but curious if I'm sitting too much...I tend to drive at least once a week but sometimes that is just down to Kroger.
Old 06-20-2024, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Samesies. Bought March last year and I only have 1500-1600. MM came up for A1 service so I figured the car clocked out at a year instead of miles. Took it to the dealer for service and they reset the oil meter and told me to just go drive around some more.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rabbit73
Samesies. Bought March last year and I only have 1500-1600. MM came up for A1 service so I figured the car clocked out at a year instead of miles. Took it to the dealer for service and they reset the oil meter and told me to just go drive around some more.
Interesting but do you have the turbo? I'm reading for those you want to be pretty strict about oil changes. This is my first turbo. My previous TLs I probably had some oil changes that went in to 4-5K before they got done.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:21 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

We all have turbos lol 4 Cyl or 6 Cyl you'll have a turbo accompanied with it
Old 06-20-2024, 01:46 PM
Advanced

As said, they're all turbo now. I had a few turbo cars back in the 80's when they were unreliable and more of an advertising gimmick. Those used to really pollute the oil with blow-by plus we didn't have the fancy synthetics they use now. Although I have no idea if they ship with syn or dead dinosaurs for break in. Maybe someone else will chime in. Syn oil is easily good for 5-10k miles. I used to just do a filter change and top up in my old cars at 3-4k then full change 7-8k.

New direct injection cars pollute the oil with gas from the top end. If you're taking frequent short trips then yes you should probably change based on time. I take longer trips but drive the car infrequently. It sat under a cover all winter.
Old 06-20-2024, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,694 Likes on 6,708 Posts
I can't believe no one has said it, but I would definitely change the oil every year at least

Old 06-20-2024, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
When sitting idle, it’s best to not take short trips but extended trips to burn off all impurities. This may require 25-30 miles of highway and city driving. I wouldn’t advise driving to / from grocery store and then letting it sit for 2-3 weeks. Got the car up to operating temps for a long duration. This really helped my 93 300zx last so song
Old 06-21-2024, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts

All they did is reset MID and did not change oil??
Old 06-21-2024, 07:17 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
During the lock down for +2 years I put around the same mileage on my 18 RLX hybrid and 19 MDX hybrid. The things I did was:
- use full syn oil and changed oil/filter at 12 months max
- added more air in tires to help with flat spots from sitting for weeks
- kept my key fobs as far away so they were not in communication range and running down the fob battery
- used a battery tender every 7-10 days to maintain the 12v battery (this helped stop the Acuralink smartphone error messages because of low 12v power after +3 weeks of sitting)
- When I did drive, I took the long route for 20-30 minutes to get everything to operating temp.
- always use either Sam's/Costco 91 octane fuel (both are usually down street from each other in NM)
- I never kept the gas tank full unless I was taking an out of town trip (hybrids could go 400-450 miles per tank and that could take +6 months)
- I did wash as needed because I didn't want road muck, bird droppings, bug guts, pollen/dust, etc... to sit on the paint for months

The only thing I would add is a car cover if you park outside or in a dusty garage. Hopefully, you don't have an issue with rodents in your part of the country because they love making a nest and chewing up wires.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhodge
I would think change the oil every year. Of course, will take to the dealer but curious if I'm sitting too much...I tend to drive at least once a week but sometimes that is just down to Kroger.
The maintenance minder will keep track of when the oil needs to be changed as well as what other mainenance needs to be done based on your driving and time passed although I have been told the minimum would be one oil change per year. While it doesn''t hurt anything to change the oil more frequently the gain versus following the Acura calculated maintence will probably not be much as performing the scheduled maintenance is really all that's needed. The other downside of changing and reseting the maintenance minder before it goes off is you dont know what other maintenance items the car has determined need to be performed as you have reset it before it displays the maintence code. I think typically the car will go close to around 10k miles in a year before an oil change is needed. Changing out oil at 5k intervals if a year hasn't past is not neccesary unless you are driving around like Mad Max. As for dreving 1200 miles in six months that is probably not great for the car either. 1200 miles in 6 months is pretty low. You will be out of warranty by the time you hit 10k miles. Acuras are meant to be driven and not stored away.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jhb31
The maintenance minder will keep track of when the oil needs to be changed as well as what other mainenance needs to be done based on your driving and time passed although I have been told the minimum would be one oil change per year. While it doesn''t hurt anything to change the oil more frequently the gain versus following the Acura calculated maintence will probably not be much as performing the scheduled maintenance is really all that's needed. The other downside of changing and reseting the maintenance minder before it goes off is you dont know what other maintenance items the car has determined need to be performed as you have reset it before it displays the maintence code. I think typically the car will go close to around 10k miles in a year before an oil change is needed. Changing out oil at 5k intervals if a year hasn't past is not neccesary unless you are driving around like Mad Max. As for dreving 1200 miles in six months that is probably not great for the car either. 1200 miles in 6 months is pretty low. You will be out of warranty by the time you hit 10k miles. Acuras are meant to be driven and not stored away.
any of you did oil analysis on Type S, how does fuel dilution look like? The 2.0t Honda engines are known to be fuel dilutors. If you want your car to last a long time, changing oil on turbo charged GDI engine every 5k miles is a good idea.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:08 AM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhb31
Yeah I know my TLX-S is happy to be sitting, I bought it last year in Janurary and from then to now I have put on just over 30k miles. Now I have a daily car and my Type-S sits mainly undriven for the past 3 weeks. According to maintenance minder im at about 40% oil life I did drive it last saturday and intend to drive it again this saturday.

So at the least I will go ahead and drive my Acura atleast once a week
Old 06-21-2024, 12:35 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
Yeah I know my TLX-S is happy to be sitting, I bought it last year in Janurary and from then to now I have put on just over 30k miles. Now I have a daily car and my Type-S sits mainly undriven for the past 3 weeks. According to maintenance minder im at about 40% oil life I did drive it last saturday and intend to drive it again this saturday.

So at the least I will go ahead and drive my Acura atleast once a week

If you had an Apex Blue Type S you’d never leave it sitting for days at a time. That red just isn’t worthy of your time.
MarcoTLX (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 02:06 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
If you had an Apex Blue Type S you’d never leave it sitting for days at a time. That red just isn’t worthy of your time.
If it was apex blue I would have traded it before I could hit 20k miles hahaha.
Performance Red Pearl is just the hotter color what can I say?
PRP5150 (06-21-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by russianDude
All they did is reset MID and did not change oil??
Correct. Had 1300 or so miles on it and he said there was no point. Reset to 0% and told me go drive around some more.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Correct. Had 1300 or so miles on it and he said there was no point. Reset to 0% and told me go drive around some more.
I am sure your manual says to change oil every 12 month regardless of miles. Very unusual for a certified Acura dealer to do this.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:12 PM
Advanced

I almost always do an oil change on the summer vehicles before they get stored for winter. I've seen articles warning against the pooling of acids created by combustion blow-by sitting stagnant inside the engine. On a brand new car with metallurgy that's probably far advanced since that was published I'm not worried about it. I still don't know if factory fill is syn or not, but an extra 5-6 months and maybe 2500 miles isn't going to make any difference. I'll take it in the fall before it gets garaged again and I'm back to the winter car.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
So all 0w20 oil is full synthetic. Don’t believe they can make a conventional oil that thin to meet the SP standard

So as long as 0w20 oil is used, it’s synthetic.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PLP-94
So all 0w20 oil is full synthetic. Don’t believe they can make a conventional oil that thin to meet the SP standard

So as long as 0w20 oil is used, it’s synthetic.
Honda also has synthetic blend version of it, nobody knows which flavor you get at factory.
After few UOA reports with high fuel dilution, my RDX with 2.0t Honda now gets 5w-30. I also found Mexican version of the owner manual for 2.0t Honda engine which allows 5w-30.

Old 06-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is one for TLX Type S in Mexico. If I had Type S, it would be only getting 5w-30 or 0w-30. 0w-20 is North American CAFE BS.
https://www.honda.mx/acura/mantenimiento#manuales