First Impressions – Type S – 1220km ODO

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you considered the rear skirts as well? Basically, it continues the curvature from the side skirts in front of the rear wheel to behind it. Looks pretty good in my mind's eye.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Not sure how many cars you have, but if you occasionally have to park the TLX in the driveway AND you’ve programmed any of your garage doors into your HomeLink, watch out. Anyone can just smash your window and open your garage door because lazy Acura engineers allow you to operate HomeLink without having the ignition on.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Not sure how many cars you have, but if you occasionally have to park the TLX in the driveway AND you’ve programmed any of your garage doors into your HomeLink, watch out. Anyone can just smash your window and open your garage door because lazy Acura engineers allow you to operate HomeLink without having the ignition on.
Really? That's pretty stupid! I can't believe Acura would allow that!
Old 07-30-2021, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Furnace
Anyone happen to know what the QR codes are for beside my tire air valve stems? I assume I can remove them.
They're like tags on bed mattresses. Don't remove it, unless you want the DEA blasting thru your roof and sticking an M4 in your face and hauling you off to the desert.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Really? That's pretty stupid! I can't believe Acura would allow that!
It's the same way for most cars these days. It's not about Acura being lazy; it's what most customers are expecting these days. Personally it matters not to me; if someone wanted to break into the garage, all they have to do is to drill a hole and use a coat hanger to pull down the emergency cord anyways.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
It's the same way for most cars these days. It's not about Acura being lazy; it's what most customers are expecting these days. Personally it matters not to me; if someone wanted to break into the garage, all they have to do is to drill a hole and use a coat hanger to pull down the emergency cord anyways.
I don't think most cars are like that, only the acura's we have had allow the door opener to work from the car with no key. Neither our Audi or Subaru allow you to do that. I know because I have tried to shut the garage using the homelink in them and it didn't work, was so used to the Acura working it was a surprise. Probably better to not allow it without the key. Somebody that would go through the trouble to drill a hole in the garage door would probably just kick in the front or back door instead or break a window unless they were extremely stupid.

Someone who comes with a drill and bit to go through the garage door probably planned a bit more than the opportunity crime where you left your car open, they take what they want out of it if anything and as a bonus, if they so choose, get into the garage or even the house. Those are usually kids but pretty rare events in my area.

Last edited by jhb31; 07-30-2021 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jhb31
I don't think most cars are like that, only the acura's we have had allow the door opener to work from the car with no key. Neither our Audi or Subaru allow you to do that. I know because I have tried to shut the garage using the homelink in them and it didn't work, was so used to the Acura working it was a surprise. Probably better to not allow it without the key. Somebody that would go through the trouble to drill a hole in the garage door would probably just kick in the front or back door instead or break a window unless they were extremely stupid.

Someone who comes with a drill and bit to go through the garage door probably planned a bit more than the opportunity crime where you left your car open, they take what they want out of it if anything and as a bonus, if they so choose, get into the garage or even the house. Those are usually kids but pretty rare events in my area.
Pretty sure my Nissans worked with no key as well.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:52 PM
Safety Car

How old is your Audi or Subaru? The older implementation of Homelink required the ignition to be on, but the new ones don't.

As for the drill thing, it's pretty common for it to happen in SF. No rhyme or reason why certain houses get hit. Here there's often no windows or doors leading to the garage other than the interior door, so breaking teh window at the top of the garage door or drilling a hole is their primary MO. Happens quite a bit; a friend of ours had their plastic window melted with a butane torch in order for the thieves to gain access to the emergency cord. Someone tried to drill into ours but I had ziptied our emergency cord so they were SOL, but our neighbors were not so lucky...

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-30-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

How old is your Audi or Subaru? The older implementation of Homelink required the ignition to be on, but the new ones don't.

As for the drill thing, it's pretty common for it to happen in SF. No rhyme or reason why certain houses get hit. Here there's often no windows or doors leading to the garage other than the interior door, so breaking teh window at the top of the garage door or drilling a hole is their primary MO. Happens quite a bit; a friend of ours had their plastic window melted with a butane torch in order for the thieves to gain access to the emergency cord. Someone tried to drill into ours but I had ziptied our emergency cord so they were SOL, but our neighbors were not so lucky...
Audi is an 18 subaru a 16. However the 07 acura, 16 tlx,18 tlx, 14 rdx and 17 rdx all didn't need the key for the homelink to work. I don't think the homelink tech determines if it works or not with the key. That is up to the the manufacturer if they provide power to it without the key. As for SF I don't doubt at all they drill through doors there, really just thought about it from a typical town. Fortunately what goes on in SF isn't commonplace in most other places.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
a friend of ours had their plastic window melted with a butane torch in order for the thieves to gain access to the emergency cord. Someone tried to drill into ours… but our neighbors were not so lucky...
So they bring drills, coat hangers and a butane torch? To steal an Audi?? Do you have crack heads hanging out on your street casing your neighborhood? Unless you have a picture from your security cam you can post with a guy holding a drill and fishing at your emergency pull with a coat hanger and then the image of the same guy now using a torch to melt your neighbors windows I’m not buying it. Sounds like you’re the one going around stealing other peoples cars.. who does that? Nice car, now someone is going to break into your garage and try to steal it. Your own words were “anyone who can afford [an Acura] can offer a camera. So where are the pics?
Old 07-30-2021, 11:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ghostof TypeS Past
So they bring drills, coat hangers and a butane torch? To steal an Audi?? Do you have crack heads hanging out on your street casing your neighborhood? Unless you have a picture from your security cam you can post with a guy holding a drill and fishing at your emergency pull with a coat hanger and then the image of the same guy now using a torch to melt your neighbors windows I’m not buying it. Sounds like you’re the one going around stealing other peoples cars.. who does that? Nice car, now someone is going to break into your garage and try to steal it. Your own words were “anyone who can afford [an Acura] can offer a camera. So where are the pics?
Facebook Post

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15579739.php

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-15979703.php

Daily occurance on Nextdoor.

Here's my door

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-30-2021 at 11:54 PM.
ELIN (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 12:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Well that really sucks. If this happened to me and also someone I knew it would probably be enough incentive for me to sell the house and move to an area with less criminals, better law enforcement or most likely both. That's a sad state of affairs going on there.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Well that really sucks. If this happened to me and also someone I knew it would probably be enough incentive for me to sell the house and move to an area with less criminals, better law enforcement or most likely both. That's a sad state of affairs going on there.
Tis part ofthe cost of living in CA, but at least the food and pay is fantastic. Worst case if anyone is stupid enough to try to break in with force, they're getting a belly full of 00 buck or 45ACP.
leomio2.0 (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Dude, WTF? If I woke up with my door like that, the next day I'd be looking for houses in the 'burbs. F that. Same reason I refused to live in NYC. It's not nearly as bad as CA, but with the current administration, it has gotten way worse with everything that's been going on.

I have firearms of my own, but I don't really want to ever have to use them. Even if they're some junkie breaking into my house that 100% deserves it ... that's just not a legal headache I want to go thru.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:13 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
They may get into the garage, but the door to the house is a locked steel firedoor. Thieves also use electronic devices that scroll through the codes to activate the openers.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Pick up a weapon you need to be prepared to use. 5.56 Home Defense rounds & 30-30 Winchester Deer, Hogs & BEAR's hollow point also work well in defense. Both less likely to over penetrate & hit something you really don't want to hit
Old 08-06-2021, 10:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
If anyone's curious about how the side + rear skirts combo looks, this video has them (in Tiger Eye):
Old 08-09-2021, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 15 Posts
Three week ownership update:

EXTERIOR:
- The width of the vehicle is just awesome. The road presence is outstanding. I don't see too many other TLX's on the road, but when I do you can really tell how wide and short (opposite of tall) these vehicle are.
- Exhaust - I'll retract my statement earlier about the bite matching the bark. In sport/sport+ mode's the exhaust sounds really really good outside the vehicle. The burble-pop between shifts or letting off the throttle sound magnificent. I feel like the exhaust is loud enough to sound great without annoying the sh$t out of everyone around you. Especially in and around residential neighborhoods. You really can't appreciate it all that well inside the car though, but this is a luxury car and I'm sure they needed to keep the cabin relatively quiet. Is there a way to keep the Active Exhaust open no matter what mode you are in?
- Puddle lights under side mirrors have stopped working. There's another thread on this so wont elaborate. Will have replaced at my first oil change.
- This darn colour is so hard to keep shiny and clean. Every time it rains I get hard water spots on the vehicle. I'm used to white cars LOL.

INTERIOR:
- I'm all in on the touchpad now. Having a touchpad allows the screen to sit farther back and higher up on the dash so it's very close to your line of sight on the road. The screen stays pristine and you can control it without looking so much faster than a touch screen. I really think folks need to live with this for a bit before passing judgement. It really is great.
- Used both the heated and cooled seats quite a few times. Both are fantastic and the heating/cooling areas are quite large.
- I never put the car in Park anymore. When I stop at my destination I just turn off the car and it puts it in park for me. Downside to an electric controlled transmission is sometimes I want to leave my driver-side door open and crawl forward a few inches in D, but the car wont let me. It makes me close the driver door.

RIDE:
- Normal is perfect for daily driving. I wish Individual mode allowed you to control the Active Exhaust. Perfect setting would be Normal with Active Exhaust open all the time. I wonder if someone can program or mod this?
- Sport/Sport+ are so much fun when out for a good time. I really have to say you never need to manually change gears. The transmission logic is just so good and knows exactly when to downshift.
- Transmission D vs. S - I really can't tell what the difference is other than S allows you to manually control gears with the paddles a little more than D. It still upshifts and downshifts for you but will hold a gear a little longer than D. I really can't see any use for this, especially since the transmission logic is so good by itself.
- Throttle response delay seems to be getting better. Either that or I step on the gas a touch early to combat it. It's become a non issue.

HANDLING:
- My initial assessment stands. It rides wonderfully.

SAFETY FEATURES/NANNIES:
- Lane keep assist is getting a little annoying now. Not overly so, but when I'm passing in the left lane, especially large vehicles (semi's) I like to drift outside the yellow line to keep extra distance between myself and the large vehicle. Specifically to battle rock chips. The Lane Keep Assist keeps forcing me back middle. Yes, I could turn it off, but in most cases it's great.
- Traffic Jam Assist is AWESOME! I've used it 3 times now and it keeps me firmly behind the car in front and between the lines of my lane. I believe it works up to 40km/h but don't quote me on that.

FUEL ECONOMY:
Still not great. Averaging 11.4/100km (~21 MPG).

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
I'm biased now as I own this car, but I'm really in love with driving this. I mentioned in a different thread that I cross shopped with many others and I don't think I'd be as attached to those as I am this. None of the other cars I looked at looked as aggressive as the Type S. I really feel like I would have treated those as more of an appliance, but the Type S specific styling cues really make me feel like I've bought a unique sports car (pure performance notwithstanding). Like I said earlier it's a perfect blend of luxury and sport for me. I'm never going to drive this over 8/10 and based on that it's perfect. If I were looking for absolute speed or handling, there are better cars for that, but I'm over the moon happy nonetheless.

Last edited by Furnace; 08-09-2021 at 03:27 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Furnace:
a35tl (08-09-2021), BOWA41 (08-09-2021), Camaro194 (08-09-2021), harpazo (08-09-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (08-09-2021), Legend2TL (08-09-2021), motlagh (08-10-2021), savvich (08-10-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-09-2021, 04:37 PM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^
It's great that you're enjoying the car. Since you're in Edmonton, you'll want to keep an eye out on the safety features being disabled once a slush buildup blocks the radar shield in the front of the car. This is a known issue.
Furnace (08-10-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Three week ownership update:
EXTERIOR:
- This darn colour is so hard to keep shiny and clean. Every time it rains I get hard water spots on the vehicle. I'm used to white cars LOL.
Blue is a rough one, one piece of advice, try and avoid anything but touchless car washes. My blue TLX got a zillion micro scratches you can see in certain lights up close. Love the color and look but last time I will ever get it.

INTERIOR:
- I never put the car in Park anymore. When I stop at my destination I just turn off the car and it puts it in park for me. Downside to an electric controlled transmission is sometimes I want to leave my driver-side door open and crawl forward a few inches in D, but the car wont let me. It makes me close the driver door.
Yep, you will get so used to if that when you drive a car without it but it has a start/off button you will hit the off and get out of the car while it’s still in drive. Had it happen numerous times on our RDX and I only realized it wasn’t in park as it started rolling back after I started to get out. The one and only feature I liked about the push button trans in my TLX. It’s wonderful. My Audi has the same tech but still has the shift lever but glad to still have that feature.[/QUOTE]

HANDLING:
- My initial assessment stands. It rides wonderfully
That’s good to hear, I was wondering how smooth the ride was. My 07 type S felt every bump in the road. Just too hard of a ride.

SAFETY FEATURES/NANNIES:
- Lane keep assist is getting a little annoying now. Not overly so, but when I'm passing in the left lane, especially large vehicles (semi's) I like to drift outside the yellow line to keep extra distance between myself and the large vehicle. Specifically to battle rock chips. The Lane Keep Assist keeps forcing me back middle. Yes, I could turn it off, but in most cases it's great.
My only experience with lane assist other than Acura is with Audi. Hand’s down acura maintains the lane a millions times better. I used it in my Acura on long trips when I was getting tired and it was great, in my Audi it much more jerky and I don’t use it at all. Acura’s lane assist was so good that I couldn’t imagine there is one much better.

The anti-collision in the Acura though is another story, hated it. Almost got me rear-ended a few times. Audi pre-sense is way better. Also the parking sensors I had a lot of false alerts with acura (going off while stopped at a red light), enough that I turned it off. Audi, never had a false. Hopefully Acura that got better. These things take some extended seat time to know if they are really good or not.
FUEL ECONOMY:
Still not great. Averaging 11.4/100km (~21 MPG).
Sad, but the good new is (and I have owned a lot of Acura’s) mpg usually improves and peaks around 25k miles. Never had it go down. Kinda low but mpg you get used to after a while.

Overall, sounds like you are liking the car. Congrats again.

Last edited by jhb31; 08-09-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Furnace (08-10-2021)