Entry Level Sport Sedans!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I had been eyeing a step-up car for about 4 years. Finally things came together financially and I got serious. Started process with Audi S4/S5, same territory as M340i, but slightly cheaper and better reliability (from what I could discern). Then G70 was released and got favorable press and definitely a bargain compared to Audi/BMW. Was about to pull the trigger on the G70 and the pandemic hit, and the Type S was released. Detour to Acura and test drive. Well while obviously not as quick, it felt better when pushed. On decision day, I drove both back to back (I was really getting to know my salespersons well). Put down deposit on the Type S (that story elsewhere on here). It came down to about 15K difference in price from Audi/BMW to G70/Type S and better overall car (reliability, luxury and handling feel) for the Type S. I, like most others here, use the car as daily driver, errand runner and occasional 100-300 mile trip, and don't track the car. I do however have a nearby curvy road and I am not against short stoplight wars and on-ramp duels for a little safe playtime. The one G70 3.3 I encountered on an on-ramp did not prevail and yes he was pushing (it was close). I agree on the resale argument that a low volume car is more likely to keep more of its value. Couldn't be happier.
The following 5 users liked this post by 22TypeS:
a35tl (04-07-2023), bilirubin (04-04-2023), JM2010 SH-AWD (04-05-2023), MarcoTLX (04-04-2023), Tony Pac (04-04-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 03:45 PM
®

Received 473 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Let's be honest and give our opinion here about all these entry level sport sedans. Meaning: TLX TYPE S, S4, M340i, G70 (3.3) Stinger, IS350/500, Q50RS, C43 and a few other here and there, sorry if I am forgetting any (you can add).

Do people buy these cars for racing, (0-60/0-100), taking them to track and driving them like a race car? Full disclosure, I am not an enthusiast, I like cars and I am blessed to be surrounded by family and friends that have decent cars. Most of them at least have an entry level premium vehicle. But I have never seen anyone of them doing anything crazy beside going to work, grocery stores and a few annual family trips within 300-500 miles. Yes, before buying the car everyone talks about HP, 0-60 and handling but you never hear these again once the car is in the garage. What I have seen the most, is when these cars get older and prices drop. Young buyers, or you want to call them enthusiasts buy and mods them.

This thread is not just about TYPE S, I am just curious....you watch some of these reviews and they focus so much on things that really no one cares in daily life. Happy to hear everyone's opinion and respectfully discuss this topic.
One of the best and truest FACTS I've ever heard when it comes to cars: You don't drive the spec sheet in the real world.

I challenge anyone who says otherwise to tell me how often they launch their car 0 to 60 and more so, how often do they actual time it with an instrument. Is it 5.4 or 5.3 lol...I used to be one of those people but you get to a point where you start to realize just how infantile that is. There's spec sheet and then there's real life. There's 0-60 on a piece of paper and then there's a repetitive blur of cubicles, choosing paint colors at Home Depot, eating meatballs at Ikea, and picking up the kids from karate. (C&D quote).
The following 4 users liked this post by loki:
DJ Iceman (04-13-2023), frainc (04-05-2023), HTX2022Aspec (04-06-2023), MarcoTLX (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 06:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by loki
One of the best and truest FACTS I've ever heard when it comes to cars: You don't drive the spec sheet in the real world.

I challenge anyone who says otherwise to tell me how often they launch their car 0 to 60 and more so, how often do they actual time it with an instrument. Is it 5.4 or 5.3 lol...I used to be one of those people but you get to a point where you start to realize just how infantile that is. There's spec sheet and then there's real life. There's 0-60 on a piece of paper and then there's a repetitive blur of cubicles, choosing paint colors at Home Depot, eating meatballs at Ikea, and picking up the kids from karate. (C&D quote).
This repeated point of view always gets mentioned here. If that's the case why do people buy anything more than an accord? You all seem to think nobody cares, well if that were the case nobody would be buying anything more than 110 HP. What none of you seem to mention is that you care too, if you didn't you'd just buy an A Spec and be happy and not even worry about a Type S right? Wrong. You do care and stating you don't care about speed or a few 10nths etc is just an excuse and cop out .
The following users liked this post:
jhb31 (04-15-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 433 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
This repeated point of view always gets mentioned here. If that's the case why do people buy anything more than an accord? You all seem to think nobody cares, well if that were the case nobody would be buying anything more than 110 HP. What none of you seem to mention is that you care too, if you didn't you'd just buy an A Spec and be happy and not even worry about a Type S right? Wrong. You do care and stating you don't care about speed or a few 10nths etc is just an excuse and cop out .
If that’s the case, why didn’t we all buy M3Ps to be the fastest? Or a CT4V BW to be the true best track car?
If you really cared about have better performance, you would be driving a CT4V BW instead of an M340i.

Last edited by richii0207; 04-05-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:24 PM
Instructor

I agree in part. We do care, but it is the total car. How much it costs, how often you get involved in stoplight wars, what do you use the car for routinely, etc. Adapting from your perspective, if we cared we'd all be driving 911 GT3s. I cared enough to move up from a V6 Accord to the Type S, but thought another 15K for M340i (not even counting maintenance costs and potential reliability issues) just to always be the "biggest" dog wasn't worth it. I guess it is a question of how do we care?
The following 4 users liked this post by 22TypeS:
Honda430 (04-06-2023), Legend2TL (04-06-2023), MarcoTLX (04-05-2023), richii0207 (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richii0207
If that’s the case, why didn’t we all buy M3Ps to be the fastest? Or a CT4V BW to be the true best track car?
If you really cared about have better performance, you would be driving a CT4V BW instead of an M340i.
I have a G80 on order so.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:29 PM
®

In case you haven't noticed, I DO drive an Accord 😁 A fun one at that...2.0T 6MT. With few simple upgrades, such as Acuity bushings and Eibach sway bars, I lost nothing in comfort but gained a lot in driving dynamic and handling. Could I go and drop $60K on a Type S? Any given time. Not the point. As others have explained it before me, why stop at Type S, why not go M3, or Chiron...
Old 04-06-2023, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by loki
In case you haven't noticed, I DO drive an Accord 😁 A fun one at that...2.0T 6MT. With few simple upgrades, such as Acuity bushings and Eibach sway bars, I lost nothing in comfort but gained a lot in driving dynamic and handling. Could I go and drop $60K on a Type S? Any given time. Not the point. As others have explained it before me, why stop at Type S, why not go M3, or Chiron...
Because people get what they can afford. It's not about "stopping" if you're a car enthusiast of course you'd want a GT3 but you're talking nearly 200K, and unless you're very well off you're not dropping that on a car. However if you have the option to get something faster then make an excuse " I don't really care about being the fastest or driving around corners fast etc" then you're not an enthusiast.
Old 04-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Pro

Because people get what they can afford. It's not about "stopping" if you're a car enthusiast of course you'd want a GT3 but you're talking nearly 200K, and unless you're very well off you're not dropping that on a car. However if you have the option to get something faster then make an excuse " I don't really care about being the fastest or driving around corners fast etc" then you're not an enthusiast.

This aged well. So you didn’t get an M3 over the M340i although “if a person can afford an M340i, they can afford an M3”.

So remind me again why you didn’t just buy an M3 which is a significantly better track performer than an M340i? Did you not want the extra performance?
Old 04-07-2023, 09:20 AM
®

I don't need to make excuses for anything, nor do I need to explain to you if I'm an enthusiast or not. Half a dozen cars that I've owned (out of 33 so far) were rare enthusiast cars. I've driven automobiles across several continents that you've only seen on YouTube. However, as a wise man once said...

The following 3 users liked this post by loki:
MarcoTLX (04-08-2023), richii0207 (04-07-2023), Tony Pac (04-07-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
My how the tone of this conversation has changed over the last 2.5 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
MarcoTLX (04-08-2023), Tony Pac (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 22TypeS
I had been eyeing a step-up car for about 4 years. Finally things came together financially and I got serious. Started process with Audi S4/S5, same territory as M340i, but slightly cheaper and better reliability (from what I could discern). Then G70 was released and got favorable press and definitely a bargain compared to Audi/BMW. Was about to pull the trigger on the G70 and the pandemic hit, and the Type S was released. Detour to Acura and test drive. Well while obviously not as quick, it felt better when pushed. On decision day, I drove both back to back (I was really getting to know my salespersons well). Put down deposit on the Type S (that story elsewhere on here). It came down to about 15K difference in price from Audi/BMW to G70/Type S and better overall car (reliability, luxury and handling feel) for the Type S. I, like most others here, use the car as daily driver, errand runner and occasional 100-300 mile trip, and don't track the car. I do however have a nearby curvy road and I am not against short stoplight wars and on-ramp duels for a little safe playtime. The one G70 3.3 I encountered on an on-ramp did not prevail and yes he was pushing (it was close). I agree on the resale argument that a low volume car is more likely to keep more of its value. Couldn't be happier.
‘That reminded me of my purchase experience back in 2008. I really wanted a BMW 335i, I had one priced out ready to go, $49k, the 2008 TypeS was $34k… I had driven some base model 07-08 TL and they were fine but didn’t do it for me, my cousin had a 335 way faster, super cool car. Then, one morning Acura had a TypeS, I asked if I could drive it and it had some magic the base model didn’t. It might be in my head, but I don’t care, I’m the one buying it and if it feels special to me, then that’s what matters. The BMW was still faster and I still really wanted it but I couldn’t justify it. That price was in the range of “I can, but shouldn’t afford that car”.
Anyways, 15 years later I still have my 08 TypeS, I still love it, I counted and exactly 0 times has a girl told me that she would have slept with me if my car was faster 0-60.

I have only driven the Aspec TLX, so I can’t say if the magic is there in the TypeS, but what I can say is that with the Aspec, the straight line performance was not my problem with the car.

congrats on your TypeS, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine!
Old 04-12-2023, 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richii0207

This aged well. So you didn’t get an M3 over the M340i although “if a person can afford an M340i, they can afford an M3”.

So remind me again why you didn’t just buy an M3 which is a significantly better track performer than an M340i? Did you not want the extra performance?
I'll remind you again, I got my M340I in November of 2020 right in the middle of Covid . The G80/82 wasn't out nor would it be out for another 6 months so nice try with the BS.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:29 PM
Pro

I'll remind you again, I got my M340I in November of 2020 right in the middle of Covid . The G80/82 wasn't out nor would it be out for another 6 months so nice try with the BS.
If that helps you sleep at night. Ask us why we care?
Old 04-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilB81
‘That reminded me of my purchase experience back in 2008. I really wanted a BMW 335i, I had one priced out ready to go, $49k, the 2008 TypeS was $34k… I had driven some base model 07-08 TL and they were fine but didn’t do it for me, my cousin had a 335 way faster, super cool car. Then, one morning Acura had a TypeS, I asked if I could drive it and it had some magic the base model didn’t. It might be in my head, but I don’t care, I’m the one buying it and if it feels special to me, then that’s what matters. The BMW was still faster and I still really wanted it but I couldn’t justify it. That price was in the range of “I can, but shouldn’t afford that car”.
Anyways, 15 years later I still have my 08 TypeS, I still love it, I counted and exactly 0 times has a girl told me that she would have slept with me if my car was faster 0-60.

I have only driven the Aspec TLX, so I can’t say if the magic is there in the TypeS, but what I can say is that with the Aspec, the straight line performance was not my problem with the car.

congrats on your TypeS, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine!
Great post. 15 years later, wow. They definitely did something right. Test drive the new S when you get a chance and push it in the corners. It will definitely put a smile on your face. Tell the sales rep not to come....
The following 2 users liked this post by dmski:
JM2010 SH-AWD (04-14-2023), PhilB81 (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dmski
Great post. 15 years later, wow. They definitely did something right. Test drive the new S when you get a chance and push it in the corners. It will definitely put a smile on your face. Tell the sales rep not to come....
Yeah, I’m a bit curious what the new TLX-S is like, I might try it. I already have my performance/corners car, so I’m more interested in something fun to zip around something you can run up to red line in a few gears and not be dangerously above the speed limit. I’m gutted by the lack of a manual, that’s such a large part of what I like about my current TL-S. Just on paper I think the Integra-S is more my thing. With my current TL, I never felt that peak HP was not enough, but I do admit it’s a bit gutless in the low rpm range.

what do you guys think, is it a dick move to go test drive a car when you have 0 intentions of buying? So far I have only been on test drives when I was in the market and the car was a candidate.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Received 1,234 Likes on 893 Posts
what do you guys think, is it a dick move to go test drive a car when you have 0 intentions of buying? So far I have only been on test drives when I was in the market and the car was a candidate.
No. The sales person will thank you once you drive away with the S!
MarcoTLX (04-16-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 671 Likes on 417 Posts
Yeah, I’m a bit curious what the new TLX-S is like, I might try it. I already have my performance/corners car, so I’m more interested in something fun to zip around something you can run up to red line in a few gears and not be dangerously above the speed limit. I’m gutted by the lack of a manual, that’s such a large part of what I like about my current TL-S. Just on paper I think the Integra-S is more my thing. With my current TL, I never felt that peak HP was not enough, but I do admit it’s a bit gutless in the low rpm range.

Nope. I test drove the TLX-S when it was first coming out and went right before going to the gym ... so I was in a pair of joggers and a sweatshirt. The salesman kind of rolled his eyes but still let me test drive it and was cordial throughout. Sales people have no clue how serious your intentions are going into the dealer.

At stock power levels, I had no intention of buying it. Sadly, it doesn't look like the aftermarket really cares to make much more power out of this engine either. But, you never know until you drive it ... like ELIN said, you might just realize the car has the "it" factor for you and you wind up with a new car. If you're thinking about the ITS, perhaps wait until they're out and test drive them back to back to have a better comparison and see if either of them do it for you.
Old 04-14-2023, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I was looking at 335s around that time too. Just missed the 07-08 Type Ss -- by the time I was ready to buy, couldn't find a new one in my preferred colors and instead waited a little longer for the MT version of the SH-AWD TL in '10. We should both be glad we passed on those BMWs given the legendary issues with that generation of the straight six motor.
The following 2 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
MarcoTLX (04-16-2023), PhilB81 (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 10:36 AM
Drifting

"But, you never know until you drive it ... like ELIN said, you might just realize the car has the "it" factor for you and you wind up with a new car. If you're thinking about the ITS, perhaps wait until they're out and test drive them back to back to have a better comparison and see if either of them do it for you."

I think this is the right answer. When I first test drove a 6MT TL in '10, I had no real intent to purchase one, because I was disappointed in the TL restyle from 07-08 to the 4G version. After I pushed it a bit and the sales guy encouraged me to use "throttle, not brake" in the turns, I was sold on the car and bought mine shortly after that test drive.

The following 2 users liked this post by JM2010 SH-AWD:
PhilB81 (04-14-2023), Tony Pac (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:03 PM
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
"But, you never know until you drive it ... like ELIN said, you might just realize the car has the "it" factor for you and you wind up with a new car. If you're thinking about the ITS, perhaps wait until they're out and test drive them back to back to have a better comparison and see if either of them do it for you."

I think this is the right answer. When I first test drove a 6MT TL in '10, I had no real intent to purchase one, because I was disappointed in the TL restyle from 07-08 to the 4G version. After I pushed it a bit and the sales guy encouraged me to use "throttle, not brake" in the turns, I was sold on the car and bought mine shortly after that test drive.
It's going to be tough to get your hands on Integra S now and no way you're getting it for MSRP. It's actually perfect time to get into TLX S as the inventory is increasing amd MSRP should not be an issue. Also if you are commuting more often TLX is a great place to be in. Not everyone speeds 24/7.
MarcoTLX (04-16-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dmski
It's going to be tough to get your hands on Integra S now and no way you're getting it for MSRP. It's actually perfect time to get into TLX S as the inventory is increasing amd MSRP should not be an issue. Also if you are commuting more often TLX is a great place to be in. Not everyone speeds 24/7.
Yeah I’m in 0 rush here, I’m perfectly happy to keep my 08 for another 5 years+. I’m only looking to change if mechanically it becomes a money pit or if it gets totaled (God forbid).
the money pit part is a bit hard to argue because the TLX-S or ITS are 50-60k cars, that’s a lot of repair money…

Anyways, I’m absolutely derailing this thread over and over. I think morale of the story is that I might go and drive the TLX-S and the ITS at some point but the manual in the ITS is giving it an edge at the moment. I’m just bummed it doesn’t have the CTR seats, those are so good! I would definitely pay for those If it was an option.
If I do shop around I will probably look at the 5 series and probably 3 series too, I just can’t imagine that car lasting as well as our 08 TL-S has. The 335 my cousin had actually did ok, he did have some engine issue and dealers couldn’t figure it out and were charging huge money to repair, but my uncle is pretty mechanically inclined and for several months he tried to diagnose it and eventually it was something dumb like a sensor or relay. BMW was sold because they needed room for all the cars not because it was a pos…
the 530i my dad had back in 05 I think it was, that was a 2 year lease and he traded it in as soon as he could. First gen iDrive was a big fail, constant problems.
Also, bmw for us is a bit of a personal achievement/water mark of financial success. when wife and I lived together in college we always said that one day when we have money we will buy a bmw… Thing is, I’m not particularly attracted to any of them at the moment. It feels more like I’m ticking a checkbox than an emotional impulse. (Ok maybe the M5CS had that magic, but that’s a bit too steep and was nearly impossible to get)
Also, the TL-S replacement I don’t think can be too huge because it would be a bit too tight in the garage. I have a bunch of stuff behind the TL (ladders, tool chest, air compressor, bicycle chariot, etc). Something the size of a 7 series or S class would not fit, or if it did I would have to park it with the precision of a surgeon. Even a Taycan sport turismo might be too big… when the time comes I’ll have to do some measuring
MarcoTLX (04-16-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Yeah I’m in 0 rush here, I’m perfectly happy to keep my 08 for another 5 years+. I’m only looking to change if mechanically it becomes a money pit or if it gets totaled (God forbid).
the money pit part is a bit hard to argue because the TLX-S or ITS are 50-60k cars, that’s a lot of repair money…

Anyways, I’m absolutely derailing this thread over and over. I think morale of the story is that I might go and drive the TLX-S and the ITS at some point but the manual in the ITS is giving it an edge at the moment. I’m just bummed it doesn’t have the CTR seats, those are so good! I would definitely pay for those If it was an option.
If I do shop around I will probably look at the 5 series and probably 3 series too, I just can’t imagine that car lasting as well as our 08 TL-S has. The 335 my cousin had actually did ok, he did have some engine issue and dealers couldn’t figure it out and were charging huge money to repair, but my uncle is pretty mechanically inclined and for several months he tried to diagnose it and eventually it was something dumb like a sensor or relay. BMW was sold because they needed room for all the cars not because it was a pos…
the 530i my dad had back in 05 I think it was, that was a 2 year lease and he traded it in as soon as he could. First gen iDrive was a big fail, constant problems.
Also, bmw for us is a bit of a personal achievement/water mark of financial success. when wife and I lived together in college we always said that one day when we have money we will buy a bmw… Thing is, I’m not particularly attracted to any of them at the moment. It feels more like I’m ticking a checkbox than an emotional impulse. (Ok maybe the M5CS had that magic, but that’s a bit too steep and was nearly impossible to get)
Also, the TL-S replacement I don’t think can be too huge because it would be a bit too tight in the garage. I have a bunch of stuff behind the TL (ladders, tool chest, air compressor, bicycle chariot, etc). Something the size of a 7 series or S class would not fit, or if it did I would have to park it with the precision of a surgeon. Even a Taycan sport turismo might be too big… when the time comes I’ll have to do some measuring
In my household, the status symbol car is Mercedes and only because my wife wanted it. I can't really knock the brand as they do make good cars but it wouldn't have been my first German choice.

If you're concerned about space in the garage, then your only option is the ITS and not the TLX. The TLX is 3" wider and nearly 5" longer than your '08 TLS. A bonus is the ITS actually has over 2" additional rear legroom over both your TL and the current gen TLX (which are identical in this regard).
HTX2022Aspec (04-17-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ELIN
In my household, the status symbol car is Mercedes and only because my wife wanted it. I can't really knock the brand as they do make good cars but it wouldn't have been my first German choice.

If you're concerned about space in the garage, then your only option is the ITS and not the TLX. The TLX is 3" wider and nearly 5" longer than your '08 TLS. A bonus is the ITS actually has over 2" additional rear legroom over both your TL and the current gen TLX (which are identical in this regard).
thats funny, my wife would rather ride a bicycle to work than drive a Benz.
the new TLX-Aspec fit fine when. I had it for a few days while I was getting a new clutch, so maybe I’m overthinking the space issue…
The following 4 users liked this post by PhilB81:
ELIN (04-15-2023), F23A4 (04-16-2023), MarcoTLX (04-16-2023), Tony Pac (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 04:07 PM
Drifting

If only the TLX-S had a 6MT!
PhilB81 (04-15-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
thats funny, my wife would rather ride a bicycle to work than drive a Benz.
the new TLX-Aspec fit fine when. I had it for a few days while I was getting a new clutch, so maybe I’m overthinking the space issue…
Although I have the MDX and a 9.5G Accord, I've used my 21 TLX plenty of times with my teen kids in the backseat. And while they would obvously prefer the rear seat space of the Accord and MDX over the TLX on longer trips, they generally have no objection to riding back there on shorter runs. (Lord knows, they enjoy the stage 3 tune almost as much as I. )

IMHO, the proportions are a still a bit out of sorts with that longish body yet relatively compact interior but, I enjoy every moment of my A-Spec and fully intend to buy out the lease in a few months.
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
a35tl (04-22-2023), Legend2TL (04-19-2023), Tony Pac (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F23A4
Although I have the MDX and a 9.5G Accord, I've used my 21 TLX plenty of times with my teen kids in the backseat. And while they would obvously prefer the rear seat space of the Accord and MDX over the TLX on longer trips, they generally have no objection to riding back there on shorter runs. (Lord knows, they enjoy the stage 3 tune almost as much as I. )

IMHO, the proportions are a still a bit out of sorts with that longish body yet relatively compact interior but, I enjoy every moment of my A-Spec and fully intend to buy out the lease in a few months.
Nice Honda family you have there!
I do agree about the proportions, I think the hood/nose on the TLX is a bit too long and is sacrificing interior space a bit.
With that said, it’s a sharp looking car, I saw 2 Aspec and 1 typeS today, good TLX spotting day for sure, they definitely catch your eye.
The following 2 users liked this post by PhilB81:
F23A4 (04-18-2023), MarcoTLX (04-18-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 10:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
^^ yes, TLX is a bit long but that makes it look so much better. It stands out from the crowd and gives a much more expensive look than what it’s. I do agree on the backseat. I wish it had 2 more inches.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
F23A4 (04-18-2023), MarcoTLX (04-18-2023), PhilB81 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice Honda family you have there!
I do agree about the proportions, I think the hood/nose on the TLX is a bit too long and is sacrificing interior space a bit.
With that said, it’s a sharp looking car, I saw 2 Aspec and 1 typeS today, good TLX spotting day for sure, they definitely catch your eye.
Thank you. The Accord was the 2nd time I went out looking for a used BMW 335i and came back with an AV6.
The following 4 users liked this post by F23A4:
Legend2TL (04-19-2023), PhilB81 (04-18-2023), Tony Pac (04-20-2023), whiteGSR (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Thank you. The Accord was the 2nd time I went out looking for a used BMW 335i and came back with an AV6.
i would say maybe 3rd time will be the charm, but all the new BMW'S look like poo
Old 04-19-2023, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

one owner 16 AV6 Touring with 34k on the clock for $23,500.was hard to pass up....but I digress.

I actually like the look of the G20 but wouldnt go near a G22 based on that grill alone.
MarcoTLX (04-22-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 09:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN

the tlx is massive I was shopping for an integra better size but then test drove some tlx models. Integra was a great size but aspec integra to tlx huge jump in quality. Integra felt cheap and hated the seats in comfort and look/ quality.

but After a long test drive of the tlx type s I really like it but it’s just bigger then I want in a car. Interior space being similar to integra but being a boat. Driving it didn’t feel to big but parking in my work parkade was a pain in the ass even with Canadian 360 cam
Old 05-06-2023, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by twitchy15
the tlx is massive I was shopping for an integra better size but then test drove some tlx models. Integra was a great size but aspec integra to tlx huge jump in quality. Integra felt cheap and hated the seats in comfort and look/ quality.

but After a long test drive of the tlx type s I really like it but it’s just bigger then I want in a car. Interior space being similar to integra but being a boat. Driving it didn’t feel to big but parking in my work parkade was a pain in the ass even with Canadian 360 cam
Driving through crowded urban streets is not the best either. Buy what's right for your situation!
Old 05-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by twitchy15

Two different class cars, of course the TLX is going to be bigger but the ride is going to be much better also. Your money and choice in what you want in a new car.
The following 2 users liked this post by frainc:
22TypeS (05-07-2023), Tony Pac (05-06-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
New guy to the forum. Hello world. Fascinating seeing the comparisons in this thread. I bought a Type S and cross shopped everything in the category and near the category. I was originally set on a Q50 RS. The extra 50hp would have been nice but it also costs minimum $5k more. Getting a non AWD Q50 or an IS500 doesn't really make it a valid comparison. Totally different drivelines. Audi and BMW, ignoring reliability concerns, also minimum $5k more and up to $10k. So 10-20% more cost for a "comparable" model. The guy who claims it's a boat should really look at the dimensions compared to the Integra - it's only 8" longer. It was probably the weight difference. That happens when you (again) compare a totally different car with a larger more powerful engine, AWD, and an active suspension.

The only real comparison I found was the Genesis. The Germans (and Q50) were $5-10k more. The IS350, Volvo S60, and even stretching to loaded Legacy or Camry didn't have the power. Loaded Accord and Maxima no AWD. I personally couldn't find another sub $60k AWD performance sedan to consider except the Hyundai and while I think they're killing it these days with their offerings I was more comfortable with the Honda backing. BTW I bought mine based on a dealer inventory search. No wait list, got exactly the color combination I wanted, and paid sticker price + $213 overpriced wheel locks. I did have to settle for the Y spoke wheels. I actually like the stockers better but it seems 90% of the Type S come with the Perf Pkg. And I bought a JB4 tuner off a forum member to make up some of the hp difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by rabbit73:
JM2010 SH-AWD (05-19-2023), MarcoTLX (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Enjoy your Type S. I saw a write up somewhere, that yes the TLX-S lost 0-60 to IS500, but completely out ran it on a track. SH-AWD!
MarcoTLX (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 05:54 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 22TypeS
Enjoy your Type S. I saw a write up somewhere, that yes the TLX-S lost 0-60 to IS500, but completely out ran it on a track. SH-AWD!
Thanks. I don't remotely consider those cars to be in the same league other than being sedans. Closer comparing the IS to a Mustang or M3. The TLX is a sport sedan not a track car. Sadly the germans are almost the only other choices now. I just re-priced a CT5-V. The BW is a hundred grand. Forget that. The regular model starts out close to the Type S. But once you add 20" rims, the ventilated seats that require like 6 more packages to be added, and the sunroof, it's $67k. There really isn't anything that compares for the price. It was more than I intended to spend, but I feel like I got a lot more for the money.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:20 PM
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 244 Posts
Not sure if this was already posted but Road & Track magazine named their 2023 Best 4-door Sports Cars, here's their list...
1) Alfa Romeo Giulia QF
2) Acura TLX Type S
3) Audi RS3
4) Audi RS5
5) Audi e-Tron GT
6) Mercedes-AMG C63S E Performance
7) Hyundai Elantra N
8) Toyota GR Corolla
9) Porsche Panamera
10) Porsche Taycan
11) Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
12) Honda Civic Type R
13) Tesla Model 3 Performance
14) Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
15) Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
16) BMW M3
17) BMW M5
...not sure if it's ranked but one thing is certain, Acura is the world's number one carmaker alphabetically.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/g4...or-sports-cars

Last edited by bilirubin; 05-29-2023 at 06:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bilirubin:
22TypeS (05-29-2023), MarcoTLX (05-30-2023), Tony Pac (05-29-2023), wizardjjr (05-30-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 06:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,594 Likes on 958 Posts
I really like the new strategy that Acura is opting in. Focusing on performance and premium material rather than chasing luxury, performance and value.

The disadvantage is price, for us as a buyer we have to pay more for Acura products compared to the past. But after testing a few new Acura products, I strong believe every Acura product is worth the money and more
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Pac:
22TypeS (05-29-2023), MarcoTLX (05-30-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I really like the new strategy that Acura is opting in. Focusing on performance and premium material rather than chasing luxury, performance and value.

The disadvantage is price, for us as a buyer we have to pay more for Acura products compared to the past. But after testing a few new Acura products, I strong believe every Acura product is worth the money and more
Relative to the competition, S4/5, M340i and others, it is still bargain, especially if you include maintenance and service. And yes better strategy, especially performance.

Quick Reply: Entry Level Sport Sedans!