Don’t know what would have happened without Type S – Why I got It.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Don’t know what would have happened without Type S – Why I got It.

I was driving on a four-lane road with a fifth, center, either way left turn, lane. Headed southbound in the inside lane. Person trying to pull out from a side road on the right to make a left to go northbound. This person pulls out late. I don’t move to outside lane, just in case he realizes and stops. He doesn’t realize and keeps going, so that even with the great Type S brakes I won’t be able to stop in time nor can I now go behind him. Get on gas and head for at least the left turn lane, maybe opposite direction inside lane if open, it is not. Really hammer it now. He goes by the right rear fender with just a bit of clearance. No collision! Through the fast evasive maneuvers, the car did not step out or break loose at all. If not for the handling (with the all-season Pirellis) and quickness of this car, this would not have ended well. My wife is with me, she is “having a heart attack”, even I have a little adrenaline boost (I’ve seen enough that almost nothing causes me to get too excited on the road anymore), I tell her that this is exactly reason I got this car! (Among others, of course.)
The following 11 users liked this post by 22TypeS:
bilirubin (10-25-2023), ELIN (10-26-2023), frainc (10-26-2023), JM2010 SH-AWD (10-26-2023), Legend2TL (10-25-2023), MarcoTLX (10-30-2023), obbshu (10-30-2023), realmac (10-27-2023), savvich (10-25-2023), Terragotti (11-23-2023), TLXinTX (10-25-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-25-2023, 04:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
So glad you avoided that accident !!
Old 10-26-2023, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
So glad you avoided that accident !!
Me too, obviously. The driver had just let another go by in the outside lane. I guess he was in too big a hurry to wait for another car to go by.
Old 10-26-2023, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
So many idiots on the roads today. Maybe it has something to do (at least in the US) with so many states/school districts dropping or reducing drivers education for HS students?
Old 10-26-2023, 01:44 PM
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
Win for the Type S! As much as I want to "love" this car, I just am not! Yes, the power and handling is great, but for whatever reason, I am not comfortable at all in it. I'm pretty sure my previous 21' RDX Aspec had the same seats, and I always found those very comfortable. However, the Type S definitely NOT! Perhaps just the seating angle/height?
Old 10-26-2023, 03:39 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Glad you made a great decision!

"Great decision meaning post by "22Type S."

I will have to say...again, as I have in a couple other postings here....that I was not too sure about buying my TLX Type S, but, after owning for just over a year, but, not too
many miles at all....the more I drive it the more I appreciate what it has to offer. I really enjoy driving it. AND, that's the key for a great car "for you." For any owner. Do you
enjoy driving it? Sure there are a lot of other issues to consider. But, I'm older and have owned so many vehicles, and over a dozen Acuras of all kinds.
I've always said..."there are no perfect vehicles." I can always find something in a vehicle I own that I wish they'd done differently, etc, etc. But, if the "good list" is much
longer than the "bad things list"....then it's probably a good veh. to buy. Also, again...."who cares if it's .2 sec. slower in the 1/4??? That issue does NOT make a car a
great overall fun car to enjoy and drive. I do know this. I've owned some very powerful cars....and my Type S is very quick, handling is amazing, ride is great, comfort is
there too. Well done for the cost. Do I feel it should have some "things" that the Advance has...Yes I do. But, again, the "good list" is lots longer than the.."oh crap" list.

I have a very special '21 Mustang that is right at 500 hp with every option available. I sure enjoy the "pleasure it gives me" with that growling V8 exhaust and just plain 'ol
kick ass quickness, handling and fun factor. It's my 12th Mustang, and looks like my last. I need to move it on to someone who will love it. I need the space and I don't drive
it all that much....under 600 miles. Never in rain, snow....always garaged, covered. Looks better than new actually. Paint, interior, bottom side...all looks new. Not a mark,
blem anywhere. Yes, a garage queen or museum piece. But, it's been fun so far.

I like the Cadillac CT5V Blackwing, Hard to find, long time to order and get. But, there are many I'd like to have. Esp. a 2009 Vette ZR-1. And so it goes for us "car crazy" owners.

I'm waiting for the LONG DRAWN OUT release of the 2024 TLX Type S. As many here are. IF it has the goodies from the Advance, I may be tempted to trade my '22 for one. If not, then
mine is good enough. I also have a '23 MDX Type S. No issues or problems. Our daily...or most driven vehicle. Again, for Acura, lots of veh. for the $$.
Someone here really got a lemon...with so many problems and issues. I can say this. That can, has, and will happen with any vehicle that is mass produced. It certainly isn't the "norm" for
the MDX Type S. Of all the Acuras I've owned....I can only think of 2 issues right now I've had...pretty minor. One front parking sensor quit, and another one had the driver's side sun visor
spring clip break. Quick easy fixes. When I owned quite a few Hondas back some yrs.....I'd have issues with soft brake rotors and warping. They were known for that. But, that was about it
for the many Hondas I've owned.

So, what's this "older guy saying?" I guess with over 20 HMC vehicles owned....I've had a good run, so far. Makes sense why I keep buying....now, Acuras. FWIW.
The key is...be happy with what you drive and don't end up sorry you over paid, or now that it's falling apart. And remember....just because that MB, BMW, or Audi is
a few tenths quicker.....who the hell cares?? It's not a drag car. It's a street vehicle.

Have a fun Halloween everyone!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 10-26-2023 at 03:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
22TypeS (10-26-2023), frainc (10-26-2023), obbshu (10-30-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Colorado Guy AF Ret., I agree 100%. I did a good/bad list when comparing G70 3.3T vs. Type S. It was close, and I left out know Honda/Acura from the equation. IF I had wanted to win drag races it would have been the G70, though put me in the curves vs. G70 and well that straight line edge goes away. Using your sentence "The key is...be happy with what you drive and don't end up sorry you over paid, or now that it's falling apart." that really is the key. I am happy and, so far, haven't had any real problems, including no puddle light issues . As a side-bar we got my daughter a certified used CR-V and have had an oil usage issue that didn't meet manufacturer criteria for a fix, the only problem with that car. I have never had to add a drop of oil to any my previous Hondas or Acuras (8 of them), it happens.