Considering a used 2021 TLX Technology

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a used 2021 TLX Technology

New to the TLX but not Acura or Honda.

I know 2021 is a first year for model changes so I wanted to see if any issues with the 2021 TLX. Any major issues or things to look for?

I notice it has the 10 speed transmission. Is this new also or has this transmission been around for a while? And how often does the fluid/filter have to be changed? Could not find this information in the owners manual.

Is the 4 cyl turbo engine new in 2021? Or has it been around for a while?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-13-2024, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a 2021 Advance that recently came off lease. Leased in March of 2021 so it is a little over 3 years old and have 26,600 on the ODO. Here is what I have experienced and it was all replaced under warranty:
1st issue was a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel. Acura replaced the Steering Column.
2nd Issue(s). Have replaced the puddle lights 3X on the drivers side and 2X on the passenger side. This issue is just a minor inconvenience, but it is a known issue with this generation TLX.
3rd Issue was the FAKRA cable that controls the speakers. Was getting a crackling noise in the speakers. Once again this is a known issue and the issue was resolved under warranty.
Maintenance has been typical. Oil changes and tire rotations. Did get a MM alert for Rear Diff Fluid at 16K which is way too soon. I did have the fluid changed so there would be no issues if I had to make a warranty claim.
Some would say that those issues should be reason to dump the car......I look at it differently. I think all the "kinks" have been worked out and really like driving the car. The vehicle is smooth and I like the technology the car has. Some folks don't like the touch pad that controls the infotainment system, but now that I have mastered the learning curve, it is fine.
So I bought out the lease and have no regrets. I have owned Acura/Hondas for over 40 years and plan on keeping this car for a lot of years.
With that said, you have asked for "opinions" so be patient and wait for others to weigh in so that you get multiple perspectives. GOOD Luck with your decision.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Sorry I did not respond to your other questions. Not sure about the transmission but I did own a 2018 Accord with the same engine and never got a MM reminder to replace the transmission fluid even with 40K on the ODO when I traded it for the TLX. Had zero issues with my 18 Accord.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fjpthree
I have a 2021 Advance that recently came off lease. Leased in March of 2021 so it is a little over 3 years old and have 26,600 on the ODO. Here is what I have experienced and it was all replaced under warranty:
1st issue was a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel. Acura replaced the Steering Column.
2nd Issue(s). Have replaced the puddle lights 3X on the drivers side and 2X on the passenger side. This issue is just a minor inconvenience, but it is a known issue with this generation TLX.
3rd Issue was the FAKRA cable that controls the speakers. Was getting a crackling noise in the speakers. Once again this is a known issue and the issue was resolved under warranty.
Maintenance has been typical. Oil changes and tire rotations. Did get a MM alert for Rear Diff Fluid at 16K which is way too soon. I did have the fluid changed so there would be no issues if I had to make a warranty claim.
Some would say that those issues should be reason to dump the car......I look at it differently. I think all the "kinks" have been worked out and really like driving the car. The vehicle is smooth and I like the technology the car has. Some folks don't like the touch pad that controls the infotainment system, but now that I have mastered the learning curve, it is fine.
So I bought out the lease and have no regrets. I have owned Acura/Hondas for over 40 years and plan on keeping this car for a lot of years.
With that said, you have asked for "opinions" so be patient and wait for others to weigh in so that you get multiple perspectives. GOOD Luck with your decision.
Thank you very much for your input here.
Couple questions. Are the puddle lights on the bottom of the side mirrors or bottom of the doors. I've heard both locations called puddle lights.
On your rear diff comment, I assume you have AWD? I am looking at the base TLX with Technology so I assume its front wheel drive only. The prior gen base TLX has the P-AWS (all wheel steering). I assume the 6th gen did away with this on the base models?
I agree with you in that those are not enough reasons to sell the car. Very minor in my opinion.
Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2024, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Puddle lights are on the bottom of the side mirrors. If you are looking at a base model then you will not have puddle lights and it will be FWD so no rear diff.
The following users liked this post:
domano 68 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a 21 Tech TLX. I just extended the lease on it as I'm deciding if I'm going to buy it or get into something else. (Texas screws you on sales tax as you pay the full amount at the beginning of the lease and pay the full amount on the residual value if you buy it....so extending monthly payments was better than dropping $1,400 in sales tax and changing my mind that I wanted to keep it.)

It's been rock solid mechanically. The only issue I had was the FARKA cable issue listed above that caused crackling and would randomly shut down the infotainment system. It was a recall item and wasn't an issue after it was fixed.

Other than that, it's just been regular maintenance. The only reason I hadn't bought it was part of me either wanted a 24 A-Spec for the AWD....or to go the entire other way and get a hybrid. But there's a better than 50% chance that I'll just buy it and keep it. I owned the 3rd, 5th and 6th Gen TL/TLXs. This edged out my 3rd Gen as my favorite model. The styling is better than any other TL/TLX model. Though the 3rd gen with the V6 was more fun to drive. The TLX is a pretty heavy car. And while 272 horses is a lot, nobody would ever mistake the Tech model for a 'sporty' drive. The 4-cyclinder turbo has a bit of lag when you punch it and is going to be more 'whiny' sounding than a V6. The 10-speed is very smooth though.

domano 68 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 06:56 AM
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by fjpthree
Did get a MM alert for Rear Diff Fluid at 16K which is way too soon. I did have the fluid changed so there would be no issues if I had to make a warranty claim.
I believe this is standard SH-AWD maintenance; all models require an early rear diff fluid change as per the maintenance schedule. Our MDX is coming up on its first as well.
Old 06-14-2024, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Went to the dealership, without calling first, and found out the car is unavailable due to being in the body shop. Will find out why for sure. But did find out it was a lease turn-in. Thoughts and opinions on buying a leased car please.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by domano 68
Went to the dealership, without calling first, and found out the car is unavailable due to being in the body shop. Will find out why for sure. But did find out it was a lease turn-in. Thoughts and opinions on buying a leased car please.
IMO it’s like any used car, some good- some bad.

Though I think the fact you have to pay excess wear and tear at the end of a lease is an incentive to not treat it like a rental.

I think about the leases I’ve turned in and they were a great used car for somebody.
domano 68 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Wifes 17 RDX was off lease when we bought it in 2019. 50K and 5 years later, no issues. Just check with Car Fax for maintenance records. If buying from a dealership you may pay more, but it is worth it in the end. Many Acura vehicles coming off lease are sold as CPO.
domano 68 (06-14-2024)