Adding a second data USB port

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 10:17 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adding a second data USB port

Is it possible? Could the head unit have an extra socket that's not connected? Could some sort of a hub work?

​​​​​​While most new cars seem to come with only one USB port for data, it is a real buzz killer. I used to always listen to something in the car, be it music, podcasts, or audiobooks. In my old Accord I was able to cycle through the available audio source - radios, Android Auto, CD (I still use them), aux, and above all a USB DRIVE, with a single button! The steering wheel controls let me change tracks, folders, and fast forward with ease.
The USB port is taken by a wireless AA dongle and I miss having USB drive plugged in as my audio collection is organized in folders and I haven't found a good enough app that lets me easily navigate it, particularly given the touchpad and its awkward integration with AA.
The following users liked this post:
WaveBlaster2 (04-20-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 06:50 AM
Drifting

Received 1,234 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Rivetingforever
particularly given the touchpad and its awkward integration with AA.
What kind of AA issues are you having with the TrueTouch interface? I thought most of the problems were on the CarPlay side.

To answer your question, it's not possible to open up another USB dataport. Prior Acura models had a dual touchscreen system with dual USB dataports. This allowed for all sorts of combinations because it was essentially 2 systems.
I don't see Acura or any other car maker maintaining 2 systems in the future due to cost and complexity.
The following users liked this post:
Baksju (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 04:17 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
What kind of AA issues are you having with the TrueTouch interface? I thought most of the problems were on the CarPlay
​​​​​​Like getting to the right button and scrolling through lists.

I am doubtful that the two screens in some Honda cars is the reason to have two data USB ports. I think it's a single Android unit that supports multiple ports. After all I can plug in a USB hub to my phone and have several devices at the same time. The functionality must have been disabled on purpose by Acura and I am looking for a way around it.