Acura TLX Type-S PMC Edition - Official Reveal

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 08:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
+100. Went to test drive RX for my wife and boy oh boy, the sales staff was horrid. It was like they were doing you a favour to let you test drive it. It's a F*N RX not a Bugatti. Also sleazy sales man would not let us test drive it without him. I go to Acura and they just give you the keys and off you go by yourself. Take as much time as you like.
OMG!

We were able to test drive it but yes, the guy did not allow us alone. He said he has to be with us. He said one funny thing while we were test driving the car. "The F-SPORT is like S line and AMG" the handling is the best in class. Of course, the dude didn't know that we know our sh1t and my cousin isn't buying this car for racing or having AMG handling. He wanted a comfortable, safe and reliable car for his wife. Simple is that. That said, most dealers are not pleasant, but the RX was a good purchase and my cousin and family are super happy with it.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
If you have built a relationship with the dealer and gave them repeat business you should not get charged ADM. If you come off the street and demand MSRP for a rare model you can forget it. A lot of the same guys will flip that car and ask over MSRP even though it's used with racked up mileage.
I totally get it. I ADM isnt something I would ever pay. I get it when a dealership might charge ADM for very rare cars. Most Acura dealerships will get one PMC TLX if any.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:27 AM
®

Received 474 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by dr/owned
So does the Acura "reservation" actually mean anything for PMC or is it like:

"Here pay $2k or whatever deposit so you can have the privilege of a dealer charging you ADM anyways".

I guess I'm not sure what the point of the reservation system is if you're going through a dealer anyways. (And rather shamefully for the car industry I haven't bothered to follow to closely since it's a hopeless endeavor right now. I'll wait another year for the lots to be stuffed and them willing to do anything to sell me a car)
That is literally what it is. Same happened with Integra 6MT pre-orders; bunch of people put deposits down, only to get their rectum resized when they got the the dealership and they walked away. Hence, why so many Integra 6MTs ended up on sale lots and not picked up by the person who ordered it. I would walk away from $500, even $2000 if it meant getting ripped off by ADM. I'd just tell them here, keep the $500, spend it in good health, you miserable son of a b*tch and never go back there again. Entire dealership franchise garbage needs to die, like 20 years ago. I have ZERO problems paying OEM asking price - let me go online, play with the build sheet, select what I want, pay for it, get my car delivered, done, see you in few years again. It's been years, YEARS since I spent more than 2 hours at a dealership. I'll walk the fuck out before the last signature after signing 15 pages, I won't sign the 16th if I even get a whiff of purposeful delay, or a single word that doesn't match up to what was previously said, by that person or another. After suffering though this process over 30 times in my life, I'm literally their worst nightmare.

Last edited by loki; 10-17-2022 at 11:29 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by loki:
MarcoTLX (10-17-2022), neuronbob (12-22-2022), silverTL6 (12-03-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 09:07 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 374 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by loki
That is literally what it is. Same happened with Integra 6MT pre-orders; bunch of people put deposits down, only to get their rectum resized when they got the the dealership and they walked away. Hence, why so many Integra 6MTs ended up on sale lots and not picked up by the person who ordered it. I would walk away from $500, even $2000 if it meant getting ripped off by ADM.
yeah I am definitely weary of that ADM… last week I actually went up to the dealer I had bought my current TLX from and talked about possibly trading up for a TLX-S and the sales rep (who I worked with before) was low-key trying to steer me into the Type-S PMC. I admitted I was interested in a PMC Type-S however not without my own reservations about getting one.. (mainly the price premium, and the orchid interior that I’d be forced to have since Long Beach Blue Pearl would be the only color I’d be interested in) The sales rep and I both know his dealership is going to markup the car. So I’m thinking now, why waste $2k reserving the car knowing I won’t be able to get it at MSRP (not to mention that most dealers in my area will be very eager to sell it for well over MSRP) considering even the MSRP alone is quite steep for a car that’s basically a regular type-s with all the accessories as standard essentially plus a few exclusive goodies such as being hand built?

I rather not have my rectum resized lmao

Last edited by MarcoTLX; 10-17-2022 at 09:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoTLX
yeah I am definitely weary of that ADM… last week I actually went up to the dealer I had bought my current TLX from and talked about possibly trading up for a TLX-S and the sales rep (who I worked with before) was low-key trying to steer me into the Type-S PMC. I admitted I was interested in a PMC Type-S however not without my own reservations about getting one.. (mainly the price premium, and the orchid interior that I’d be forced to have since Long Beach Blue Pearl would be the only color I’d be interested in) The sales rep and I both know his dealership is going to markup the car. So I’m thinking now, why waste $2k reserving the car knowing I won’t be able to get it at MSRP (not to mention that most dealers in my area will be very eager to sell it for well over MSRP) considering even the MSRP alone is quite steep for a car that’s basically a regular type-s with all the accessories as standard essentially plus a few exclusive goodies such as being hand built?

I rather not have my rectum resized lmao
Had a similar discussion on the phone with my favorite Audi salesman at the dealer down the street. We are trying to decide if we should buy-out her lease or get her a new one (like the exact copy of her Audi Q5-e Prestige PHEV ... options and everything, but the 2023 version).

When we got to talking about price, he said to just configure it exactly the way we want it on www.AudiUSA.com . That will be the price, minus our loyalty discount and any current Audi promotional discounts running at the time. Sounded fine with me.

He said the only car they recently started to put a little ADM on is the R8 (because this ICE version is going away soon).
The following 3 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
ESHBG (10-18-2022), MarcoTLX (10-18-2022), pyrodan007 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 05:25 PM
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by loki
Canada doesn't count, they have consumer laws to protect, well, consumers. In USA we have laws that protect dealerships. Big difference.

All ordered by friends of dealership owners who will sell it to their buddies at the dealership for a cut and that dealership will then sell it for 100% mark-up. Local Acura by me did this with an Integra 6MT, had someone buy it and sell it back to them and then add $20K ADM "used" with 2 miles on the odometer.
My dealer only has 1 allotment for the Curva Red PMC. If I ordered, it wouldn't have a penny ADM. But I was weary of paying for a paint job and many accessories I already have on my Tiger Eye. Holding out for a 2024 Type-S refresh if available.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My understanding is that the PMC's are only being sold through the online portal. Once the 23's are gone there will be no more. I was able to get a reservation for the 130R thanks to my very nice dealer salesman and sales manager. They actual had me on the phone and did the reservation with me as I was out of town. The dealers cannot order the cars. Its Acura trying out online sales only. For the TLX Type S PMC the dealer is just a delivery point and who you pay the money to. I had to sign a document for corporate Honda saying that I was purchasing the car not the dealership since the IP address with the online purchase was the dealerships. They cannot mark the car up as it was sold directly online.
MarcoTLX (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by 7057
My understanding is that the PMC's are only being sold through the online portal. Once the 23's are gone there will be no more. I was able to get a reservation for the 130R thanks to my very nice dealer salesman and sales manager. They actual had me on the phone and did the reservation with me as I was out of town. The dealers cannot order the cars. Its Acura trying out online sales only. For the TLX Type S PMC the dealer is just a delivery point and who you pay the money to. I had to sign a document for corporate Honda saying that I was purchasing the car not the dealership since the IP address with the online purchase was the dealerships. They cannot mark the car up as it was sold directly online.
This business model certainly sounds like the one everyone's going to adopt sooner rather than later. I'm thinking ADM is the main reason why my local Acura dealer has over 145 cars in stock (the reckoning is coming)!
ESHBG (12-03-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 08:37 PM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was at an Acura dealership today pondering whether to purchase a 2023 TLX Type S or the PMC version. The sales manager told me the PMC, with the standard features mentioned by Marco, will cost $74K (excluding tax and such). The 2023 TLX Type S, with the high performance tires and wheels and Red Pearl paint/black interior with an excellent paint protectant, 4 year warrantee and tax will cost about $68K. Add the carbon fiber spoiler, diffuser, interior trim, flat-bottom heated steering wheel, floor mats, gloss black badging and illuminated Type S side sills (options on the non-PMC TLX Type S model), the cost is an additional $4K (estimating installation). So, the PMC will cost about $2K more if someone adds those available options to a non-PMC 2023 Type S.

Given the copper Y-spoke wheels and Berlina accruements, it seems a person would be better off buying the PMC. That is, of course, you don't try to mimic the standard PMC features in a standard 2023 Type S. Then there is the exclusivity of the PMC model, which may or may not translate to resale value at a later date. The paint on the PMC is extraordinary.

I'd love to hear some thoughts about this. The downside of purchasing the PMC, at least as I see it, is the delivery date is unknown.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:38 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
According to the video I linked earlier, 50 per color are sold through the portal and 50 per color are allocated to dealers. Perhaps the former doesn't allow markups and the latter does.
MarcoTLX (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 10:23 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JessicaNDenver
I was at an Acura dealership today pondering whether to purchase a 2023 TLX Type S or the PMC version. The sales manager told me the PMC, with the standard features mentioned by Marco, will cost $74K (excluding tax and such). The 2023 TLX Type S, with the high performance tires and wheels and Red Pearl paint/black interior with an excellent paint protectant, 4 year warrantee and tax will cost about $68K. Add the carbon fiber spoiler, diffuser, interior trim, flat-bottom heated steering wheel, floor mats, gloss black badging and illuminated Type S side sills (options on the non-PMC TLX Type S model), the cost is an additional $4K (estimating installation). So, the PMC will cost about $2K more if someone adds those available options to a non-PMC 2023 Type S.

Given the copper Y-spoke wheels and Berlina accruements, it seems a person would be better off buying the PMC. That is, of course, you don't try to mimic the standard PMC features in a standard 2023 Type S. Then there is the exclusivity of the PMC model, which may or may not translate to resale value at a later date. The paint on the PMC is extraordinary.

I'd love to hear some thoughts about this. The downside of purchasing the PMC, at least as I see it, is the delivery date is unknown.
outrageous price quotes if those aren’t OTD numbers. $68k for a Type-S that is $55k msrp… yeah no.

$74k price for a PMC Type-S that is $64k msrp … also no.

im gonna get on the LBBP reservation list that opens up next week just to see if I can snag one but probably won’t buy it if a dealer tries to find a way to mark it up (probably won’t buy it anyway as the MSRP is too steep for what you get.)

Right now I’m hoping to snag a used one for a reasonably fair price or go new if possible for msrp deal only.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:02 AM
Drifting

The irony is if you go through the ordering portal for the PMC, you may actually pay the same as a regular Type S with ADM at a local dealer! Acura needs to do a better job punishing dealerships undergoing predatory practices. That's why so many Acuras are sitting on lots now (with the exception of special order items like the PMC).
The following 3 users liked this post by ELIN:
MarcoTLX (12-03-2022), MIKEYDRED (12-09-2022), silverTL6 (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 08:17 AM
mvl
Pro

I got my 2022 RDX PMC as Certified Pre Owned. It is the best way to go: no wait, you can buy the 9yr/150k Acura warranty, and was a few thousands cheaper than new. Did a nationwide search on one of the search engines (don't use Acura's website because their range is 200 miles or so). I expect a few of the TLX PMC buyers are the restless type who will want another trade in 6 months or so.
silverTL6 (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mvl
I got my 2022 RDX PMC as Certified Pre Owned. It is the best way to go: no wait, you can buy the 9yr/150k Acura warranty, and was a few thousands cheaper than new. Did a nationwide search on one of the search engines (don't use Acura's website because their range is 200 miles or so). I expect a few of the TLX PMC buyers are the restless type who will want another trade in 6 months or so.
I've heard stories where dealers ask folks to buy new PMC and buy it back from the customer to sell as CPO. This is back-firing on them now as prices of used start to drop like rocks. I guess you are taking advantage of this situation now. LOL!

Is that 9 yr/150k warranty transferable to a new owner?
Old 12-08-2022, 05:17 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

And just like that all Type-S PMC reservations are spoken for! Anyone on AcuraZine reserve one?

Apparently the Long Beach Blue Pearl Reservations sold out/filled up in 4 MINUTES
The following 3 users liked this post by MarcoTLX:
bilirubin (12-09-2022), BOWA41 (12-13-2022), Tony Pac (12-09-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 05:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Can't help but wonder how many of those were purchased by friends/family of the dealership to resell back to them
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ELIN (12-09-2022), ESHBG (12-09-2022), MarcoTLX (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 07:53 PM
mvl
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
Is that 9 yr/150k warranty transferable to a new owner?
It follows regular Acuracare rules. Transferable to a private party but not a dealer.

It is refundable on a prorated basis so if I traded it in to a dealer I would just request a refund.
ELIN (12-09-2022)
Old 12-13-2022, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

And just like that all Type-S PMC reservations are spoken for! Anyone on AcuraZine reserve one?

Apparently the Long Beach Blue Pearl Reservations sold out/filled up in 4 MINUTES
Sadly, a Long Beach Blue was in my cart and then it gave me an error message and missed out on it. Sucks. But...I'm #1 at my dealer and they are being allocated a Curva Red which I will be taking. Unless the dealer can find a dealer being allocated a LBB and willing to trade for a Curva Red.
The following 2 users liked this post by BOWA41:
MarcoTLX (12-13-2022), Pens Fan (12-14-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
i have a 130R White on order.
The following 3 users liked this post by 7057:
BOWA41 (12-16-2022), MarcoTLX (12-17-2022), Pens Fan (12-17-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Picked up my Curva red today in central OH. The pics don’t do it justice.

The following 14 users liked this post by dualecho:
a35tl (12-24-2022), bilirubin (12-22-2022), csmeance (12-27-2022), DLM1213 (12-22-2022), frainc (12-22-2022), Honda430 (12-23-2022), jereme_s (12-22-2022), JM2010 SH-AWD (12-22-2022), Ken1997TL (12-22-2022), Legend2TL (12-27-2022), MarcoTLX (12-22-2022), Pens Fan (12-22-2022), richii0207 (12-23-2022), Tony Pac (12-22-2022) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2022, 11:02 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Congratulations! That paint looks insanely good.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Originally Posted by dualecho

WOW! This is beautiful. Congrats!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:08 AM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I’m not a fan of the copper color wheels but all other elements are SHARP!!! Congrats!! I really like the black exhaust tips too!!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:17 AM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks incredible! Congratulations, I'm very happy for you! Thank you for sharing too. These are the first pics I've seen of the PMC. I personally dig the bronze/copper wheels. I'm hoping I can eventually pick up a set for my Blue TLX Type S.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:38 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts

Congrats! Would love to see in person and in the sun.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:59 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
I definitely would get this fully wrapped with PPF
Old 12-22-2022, 09:06 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Speaking of Curva Red, Pohanka Acura in VA has a Curva Red sitting on the showroom floor, 016/300

Old 12-22-2022, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 548 Likes on 355 Posts
Speaking of Curva Red, Pohanka Acura in VA has a Curva Red sitting on the showroom floor, 016/300

What's it been marked up to, $100K?
MarcoTLX (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
That Red looks fantastic with the black accents
Old 12-23-2022, 10:22 AM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

What a beaut! It looks like Santa came early. Congratulations and enjoy your new ride!
Old 12-23-2022, 09:49 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ESHBG
What's it been marked up to, $100K?
well $63,995 with a $12k mark up so $75,995 before taxes and fees if someone wants to purchase the #16 Type-S PMC
Old 12-23-2022, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 548 Likes on 355 Posts
well $63,995 with a $12k mark up so $75,995 before taxes and fees if someone wants to purchase the #16 Type-S PMC
Yikes
Old 12-23-2022, 11:08 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Yikes
yeah that’s what I said when my Pohanka sales rep told me what the asking price was
ESHBG (12-24-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Based on the emails from various car dealerships I've been receiving, it seems the narrative has flipped nearly back to normal where the power is back to the consumer side. Offers of free warranty, lower lease payments, lower money down....these are all signs that we have turned the corner?

The past couple months/years, Acura dealers charged ADM because they could. I'm starting to think now it's out of necessity due to their own car supply shortage. Even luxury makes like Mercedes and BMW are selling cars w/reduced or removed options just to get cars to lots. Acura's refusal to do this is noble but it could be the final death knell that started with the Pandemic.
MarcoTLX (12-25-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 08:28 AM
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Based on the emails from various car dealerships I've been receiving, it seems the narrative has flipped nearly back to normal where the power is back to the consumer side. Offers of free warranty, lower lease payments, lower money down....these are all signs that we have turned the corner?

The past couple months/years, Acura dealers charged ADM because they could. I'm starting to think now it's out of necessity due to their own car supply shortage. Even luxury makes like Mercedes and BMW are selling cars w/reduced or removed options just to get cars to lots. Acura's refusal to do this is noble but it could be the final death knell that started with the Pandemic.
Cars loans are dropping significantly due to interest rates. I was quoted a 1.x% APR last year and now a 5.x%. From people I know that work with auto loan processing in financial institutions, they say that the number of auto loans this quarter are abysmal compared to what they typically see in previous years. The large number of loans that they do see are EVs such as Rivian, Lucid, and Tesla.

It’s terrible time to finance a car with the rates as they are right now, unless you don’t mind paying a significant amount in interest.

Last edited by richii0207; 12-24-2022 at 08:34 AM.
ESHBG (12-24-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 08:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by richii0207
Cars loans are dropping significantly due to interest rates. I was quoted a 1.x% APR last year and now a 5.x%. From people I know that work with auto loan processing in financial institutions, they say that the number of auto loans this quarter are abysmal compared to what they typically see in previous years. The large number of loans that they do see are EVs such as Rivian, Lucid, and Tesla.

It’s terrible time to finance a car with the rates as they are right now.
Right! It's the same as the housing market. As soon as mortgage rates went back to 20-30 year highs, people stopped buying houses. Inflation has really wrecked demand for both homes and cars.

I really wish I had ended my cycle of leasing earlier so that I didn't have to pay MSRP for the first time in my life!
Old 12-27-2022, 04:09 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,275 Likes on 2,641 Posts

Congratuations!!! Please post some notes in a month or so on your driving experience with your Type-S
MarcoTLX (12-27-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 11:56 AM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
outrageous price quotes if those aren’t OTD numbers. $68k for a Type-S that is $55k msrp… yeah no.

$74k price for a PMC Type-S that is $64k msrp … also no.

im gonna get on the LBBP reservation list that opens up next week just to see if I can snag one but probably won’t buy it if a dealer tries to find a way to mark it up (probably won’t buy it anyway as the MSRP is too steep for what you get.)

Right now I’m hoping to snag a used one for a reasonably fair price or go new if possible for msrp deal only.
My 2023 TLX Type S order is on its way (January/February 2023). The dealership has one of each PMC's (each color) and they're all spoken for. The thing for me is I can dress the exterior, except for the wheels, top and badging. If someone is looking for those distinctive features, then more power to them. The PMC is also hand-built (there's debate about how this improves the car). There's no change to the engine or suspension. I can cut costs on the "production" Type S by not including the carbon fiber diffusers, spoiler(s) and interior dressing. Dropping optional badging colors drop another $1K. When I "build" the Type S on Acura's website, it comes out to be around 60K. That doesn't include ADM. When it comes to the final purchase, 2/3rd's will be cash. Then, it will be about negotiation. If they stick to the ADM I will, unfortunately, walk away. During my discussions with the sales manager, I had the feeling he was not fully informed on certain details of the car. Whether that's an advantage or disadvantage remains to be seen.
MarcoTLX (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 08:24 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

My 2023 TLX Type S order is on its way (January/February 2023). The dealership has one of each PMC's (each color) and they're all spoken for. The thing for me is I can dress the exterior, except for the wheels, top and badging. If someone is looking for those distinctive features, then more power to them. The PMC is also hand-built (there's debate about how this improves the car). There's no change to the engine or suspension. I can cut costs on the "production" Type S by not including the carbon fiber diffusers, spoiler(s) and interior dressing. Dropping optional badging colors drop another $1K. When I "build" the Type S on Acura's website, it comes out to be around 60K. That doesn't include ADM. When it comes to the final purchase, 2/3rd's will be cash. Then, it will be about negotiation. If they stick to the ADM I will, unfortunately, walk away. During my discussions with the sales manager, I had the feeling he was not fully informed on certain details of the car. Whether that's an advantage or disadvantage remains to be seen.
well keep us updated on how everything goes.. my sales rep is on notice for the exact color Type-S I’m looking for, he doesn’t have any in the color I want coming in but hopefully by Spring he will which is when I’m looking to pull this thing off lol
Old 12-31-2022, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
1. My 2023 TLX Type S order is on its way (January/February 2023).

2. If they stick to the ADM I will, unfortunately, walk away.
1. Cool. The waiting sucks but it's nice to order and get the exact car (color, trim, options. everything) you want (without trying to find it on a lot).

2. That is certainly your choice. Just seems like a lot of wasted effort, waiting, and pretty much a waste of time for all partied involved. I try to work that mostly out before drive-away day. For the perfect car in this price-class ... if they want $500 or whatever (and I feel they at least try to deserve it) I pay it and drive away with my nice new car.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type-S PMC Edition - Official Reveal