AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-tires-wheels-suspension-421/)
-   -   Spare tire options (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-tires-wheels-suspension-421/spare-tire-options-968640/)

jhb31 04-03-2018 04:15 PM

Spare tire options

Had a bolt puncture through my A-Spec tire (what are the odds?). Anyway was wondering if anyone here has either gotten the spare tire kit or gone another option. I was thinking of just ordering a proper size steel wheel if thats possible (due to the large rim size) along with the cheapest proper size tire I can find to keep as a spare. The crazy thing is the dealership had no tires in stock to replace it with or any other dealers nearby that had one (I thought this would be a normal stock item). Anyway it's going to take another day for them to get the new tire and mount it so a spare would have been really nice to have either in the trunk or in the garage so I could drive the car the past two days. Luckily it happened close to home so even though losing air it was no problem getting it back home. Having a spare would be nice. I did have the tire/rim insurance so that's a plus. I never buy that stuff but did for some reason on this car.

I could do the research but if someone has already gone that route it would be helpful. Thanks.

TSXV6Guy 04-03-2018 04:54 PM

Just get the proper spare kit for your car - It comes with the proper insert, tools etc, and fits nicely in the trunk. You cannot fit a full size "spare" in there.

KTDJ 04-03-2018 05:32 PM

Does the kit come with the tire, or is that a separate purchase? If not, I imagine Discount or America's tire would be able to source one for cheap.

jhb31 04-03-2018 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy (Post 16212716)
Just get the proper spare kit for your car - It comes with the proper insert, tools etc, and fits nicely in the trunk. You cannot fit a full size "spare" in there.

Ok, that's helpful. I didn't want to dig down through the stuff in my trunk to measure. Shame it will not hold a full size spare. Any idea what the spare tire is rated for mileage wise? Some are like 50 miles and if on a trip that's not enough but better than zero.

Originally Posted by KTDJ (Post 16212742)
Does the kit come with the tire, or is that a separate purchase? If not, I imagine Discount or America's tire would be able to source one for cheap.

I think it's around $500+/- for the kit but I may be wrong. For that it should certainly come with the tire. A factory rim and tire is approx $800 (per the dealer selling the tire/rim insurance) so the spare tire kit is no bargain. Only the second tire issue I have had in ten years but the way the roads are here with potholes all over it's likely to be a problem. I assume the kit comes with a jack of some sort so there is that.

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 04-03-2018 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by jhb31 (Post 16212677)
Had a bolt puncture through my A-Spec tire (what are the odds?). Anyway was wondering if anyone here has either gotten the spare tire kit or gone another option. I was thinking of just ordering a proper size steel wheel if thats possible (due to the large rim size) along with the cheapest proper size tire I can find to keep as a spare. The crazy thing is the dealership had no tires in stock to replace it with or any other dealers nearby that had one (I thought this would be a normal stock item). Anyway it's going to take another day for them to get the new tire and mount it so a spare would have been really nice to have either in the trunk or in the garage so I could drive the car the past two days. Luckily it happened close to home so even though losing air it was no problem getting it back home. Having a spare would be nice. I did have the tire/rim insurance so that's a plus. I never buy that stuff but did for some reason on this car.

I could do the research but if someone has already gone that route it would be helpful. Thanks.

I have a new TLX A-Spec. I ordered the "Spare Tire Kit" to replace the pump/sealant kit that comes with the car. The tire is a doughnut style that's been around for many years. BUT...it DOES NOT COME WITH THE KIT! It has to be ordered separately...and it comes from a 3rd party vendor. So, armed with the doughnut tire size you could pick one up, generally, from most tire stores. If ordered from your Dealer...they are often back ordered. I lucked out and the Parts Dept. had one that someone never picked up, so I grabbed it. The "kit" came in the next day after ordering. I don't know the MSRP for it all. I worked a discount deal along with buying my car, so my cost for the "Spare Tire Kit" and the doughnut tire was $305.59 plus labor to mount the tire and put kit together in to the trunk. I kept the pump/sealant kit that came with the car. After all I did pay for it! Doubt if it will ever get used, but, never say never.
A spare tire kit for a Mustang, when ordering the car, as an option, is just over $400. Pretty sad when we have to pay for spare tires. Those sealant kits are not 100% depending on what "kind" of flat you get. So, to me they are not something to trust, esp. if you are out in the boondocks somewhere. Dangerous.

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 04-03-2018 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by KTDJ (Post 16212742)

Tire is a separate order and it comes from a 3rd party vendor, often back ordered at dealers. So, most tire stores would have it....possibly.

CPR 04-04-2018 08:50 AM

Before I closed my A-SPEC deal in January, I insisted that the spare tire be part of the deal
Yes, they're hard to come by; but Acura corporate got involved, & I had one within a week
BTW: I also included tire & wheel insurance, as part of my lease
Can never have enough protection on NYC streets
better safe, than sorry!

18TLXAspec 04-04-2018 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So as far as the "large rim size" is concerned, the overall diameter of the rim + tire is the determining factor and for all of the possible size Acura provide the overall diameter is approximately 26.7". That being said, the only difference between the three different spare tire kits is the tire loading information label, which if you have difficulty buying the kit you need it's only about an additional $3 to buy the correct label if one of the other kits is more readily available. Please feel free to confirm for yourself in the attached install guide or view it here: Spare Tire Kit Installation

BTW, most Acura parts websites have this for approximately $190-$210 + tax & shipping. I would anticipate spending another $100 + mount & balance for the tire.

Hope this helps!

jhb31 04-04-2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret. (Post 16212913)
I have a new TLX A-Spec. I ordered the "Spare Tire Kit" to replace the pump/sealant kit that comes with the car. The tire is a doughnut style that's been around for many years. BUT...it DOES NOT COME WITH THE KIT! It has to be ordered separately...and it comes from a 3rd party vendor. So, armed with the doughnut tire size you could pick one up, generally, from most tire stores. If ordered from your Dealer...they are often back ordered. I lucked out and the Parts Dept. had one that someone never picked up, so I grabbed it. The "kit" came in the next day after ordering. I don't know the MSRP for it all. I worked a discount deal along with buying my car, so my cost for the "Spare Tire Kit" and the doughnut tire was $305.59 plus labor to mount the tire and put kit together in to the trunk. I kept the pump/sealant kit that came with the car. After all I did pay for it! Doubt if it will ever get used, but, never say never.
A spare tire kit for a Mustang, when ordering the car, as an option, is just over $400. Pretty sad when we have to pay for spare tires. Those sealant kits are not 100% depending on what "kind" of flat you get. So, to me they are not something to trust, esp. if you are out in the boondocks somewhere. Dangerous.

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret. (Post 16212915)
Tire is a separate order and it comes from a 3rd party vendor, often back ordered at dealers. So, most tire stores would have it....possibly.

Originally Posted by CPR (Post 16213029)
Before I closed my A-SPEC deal in January, I insisted that the spare tire be part of the deal
Yes, they're hard to come by; but Acura corporate got involved, & I had one within a week
BTW: I also included tire & wheel insurance, as part of my lease
Can never have enough protection on NYC streets
better safe, than sorry!

Originally Posted by 18TLXAspec (Post 16213175)
So as far as the "large rim size" is concerned, the overall diameter of the rim + tire is the determining factor and for all of the possible size Acura provide the overall diameter is approximately 26.7". That being said, the only difference between the three different spare tire kits is the tire loading information label, which if you have difficulty buying the kit you need it's only about an additional $3 to buy the correct label if one of the other kits is more readily available. Please feel free to confirm for yourself in the attached install guide or view it here: Spare Tire Kit Installation

BTW, most Acura parts websites have this for approximately $190-$210 + tax & shipping. I would anticipate spending another $100 + mount & balance for the tire.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, all helpful. Bill was $280 covered under the insurance but with tax here it would have been $300 without insurance. Stock tires are not much cheaper online $220 from my research. For $197 you can get Extreme Contact DWS 06 from DTD without any tax and then get the mounting and balancing done later. That's my route if I have the car long enough to replace the tires. Not even sure I would go with those at that price but seems like a better tire for less.

avs007 06-22-2018 04:38 PM

I gave up on trying to get a donut, since nobody had it locally. I just opted for a high speed 12v pump, that clips to the battery. It can inflate the tire from 0 - 35 in less than 2 minutes. I also replaced the tires with DWS-06, which comes with 3 years of free roadside assitance, including towing, if you don't have a spare...

Buzzgo 06-25-2018 12:03 PM

i brought a brand new 2019 Acura TLX and noticed that it doesn;t come with spare tire. Grrrr....i cannot believe that it doesn;t come with it. how dumb! also, you know what i noticed. this wheel doesn;t come with lock nut lock too. sighs. i am looking at two website to see if i will plan to order spare tires.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/oem-pa...BCJnI9MQ%3D%3D
https://www.acura.com/accessories/mo...spare-tire-kit

CPR 06-25-2018 12:54 PM

Lucky me; negotiated the spare tire, & wheel locks, all season mats, & tire insurance, before closing my TLX/A-SPEC deal, at Christmas time; ho ho ho
Probably got the only spare in NYC; service had to cut & re-position the trunk covering, to fit the spare
Not easy finding one; good luck!

Buzzgo 06-25-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by CPR (Post 16254610)
Lucky me; negotiated the spare tire, & wheel locks, all season mats, & tire insurance, before closing my TLX/A-SPEC deal, at Christmas time; ho ho ho
Probably got the only spare in NYC; service had to cut & re-position the trunk covering, to fit the spare
Not easy finding one; good luck!

yes you lucky! at the dealership they never told me. i though every cars come with spare tires. sighs! i wish they told me upfront so that way i can negotiated them about spare tire and wheel locks. my car already came with all season mat. what do you mean tire insurance? tire insurance come from your insurance or dealership insurance? i will call them and see if they can give me a good price for spare tires.

CPR 06-25-2018 01:55 PM

Tire insurance is just that; if you get a blow-out, & destroy a rim; (major expense), tire insurance either reimburses or pays you in FULL; no deductible
You can use your dealer, or any other major tire installer, if away from home
Lets face it; NYC, is POTHOLE mania; roads, especially, lower Manhattan, are beyond horrible
Each A-SPEC tire, is $200+;, & the 19" rims, are $4-500; insurance is MANDATORY
My dealer GAVE it to me for $8/month/36 months; well worth the investment

Buzzgo 06-27-2018 08:10 AM

I called dealer about spare tires. the dealer told me that most of their guests are fine with it not having a spare tire because of their complimentary roadside assistance. when i heard from them and puzzled. i was like OK then look up the website and forum. "Acura ownership extends well beyond their acclaimed, 4 years/50,000 miles limited warrently, it also includes total luxury care. - Acura | Owners Assistance - Roadside Assistance| m.acura.com. sighs...too much problems for me. bad luck this years. =( review from people comments about acura roadside assistance and seem negative about acura roadside assistance. CPR - interesting that your dealer gave you insurance mandatory for $8/month for 36 months. $288 dollars for three years. what will happens after three years?

i will go ahead order spare tire and tools.

avs007 06-27-2018 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzgo (Post 16255641)
I called dealer about spare tires. the dealer told me that most of their guests are fine with it not having a spare tire because of their complimentary roadside assistance. when i heard from them and puzzled. i was like OK then look up the website and forum. "Acura ownership extends well beyond their acclaimed, 4 years/50,000 miles limited warrently, it also includes total luxury care. - Acura Owners Assistance - Roadside Assistance m.acura.com. sighs...too much problems for me. bad luck this years. =( review from people comments about acura roadside assistance and seem negative about acura roadside assistance. CPR - interesting that your dealer gave you insurance mandatory for $8/month for 36 months. $288 dollars for three years. what will happens after three years?

If you buy Continental tires, like the dws-06, it comes with Continental Total Confidence, which includes 3 years of roadside assistance, including towing if you don't have a spare.

CPR 06-27-2018 10:54 AM

My ASPEC is LEASED! 36 months; lets face it; a blow-out at 2AM on a Sunday morning, isn't going to cut it with roadside assistance
You need a SPARE TIRE; especially, when the Mrs., or the kids are driving; also, Acura roadside assistance doesn't exist on NYC highways
There's a monopoly on trucks! Acura did re-imburse me, but their trucks are NOT allowed on NYC highways; only side streets
A word to the wise: BUY A SPARE TIRE!

Buzzgo 06-27-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CPR (Post 16255765)
My ASPEC is LEASED! 36 months; lets face it; a blow-out at 2AM on a Sunday morning, isn't going to cut it with roadside assistance
You need a SPARE TIRE; especially, when the Mrs., or the kids are driving; also, Acura roadside assistance doesn't exist on NYC highways
There's a monopoly on trucks! Acura did re-imburse me, but their trucks are NOT allowed on NYC highways; only side streets
A word to the wise: BUY A SPARE TIRE!

RIGHT! i hear you loud and clear. that why i am going to buy a spare tire no matter what. I can do it replace spare tire less than 10 min. Roadside assistance how long? who know forever. no way!!!

Buzzgo 06-27-2018 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by avs007 (Post 16255672)
If you buy Continental tires, like the dws-06, it comes with Continental Total Confidence, which includes 3 years of roadside assistance, including towing if you don't have a spare.

Thanks! i will look up. i still need the tools to jack up the car and remove wheel nuts and replace spare tire. :thumbsup: that why i have to buy a spare tire. sighs too much headache!

Buzzgo 06-27-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzgo (Post 16255800)
Thanks! i will look up. i still need the tools to jack up the car and remove wheel nuts and replace spare tire. :thumbsup: that why i have to buy a spare tire. sighs too much headache!

Originally Posted by avs007 (Post 16255672)

sorry re-quote this one again. i tried to edit but i cannot. it make me re reply this quote again. anyway - i have a question. when you said buy Continental tires DWS-06 and what size did you get? i am looking at your icon picture and noticed that you 03, Acura, TL, Redondo Red Pearl? is that correct? what size you ordered the spare tire? i have 2019 Acura TLX that come with 19in wheels. what size should i get for spare? like a donut spare tire? maybe i will call tirerack. Thanks

avs007 06-27-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzgo (Post 16255815)
sorry re-quote this one again. i tried to edit but i cannot. it make me re reply this quote again. anyway - i have a question. when you said buy Continental tires DWS-06 and what size did you get? i am looking at your icon picture and noticed that you 03, Acura, TL, Redondo Red Pearl? is that correct? what size you ordered the spare tire? i have 2019 Acura TLX that come with 19in wheels. what size should i get for spare? like a donut spare tire? maybe i will call tirerack. Thanks

I got rid of the 03 for an 05. But I got the dws-06 in 245/35-19. Not sure about spare size.

CAB NY 07-03-2018 05:36 PM

I can't ride without a spare so since I had changed the wheels I threw the factory in the trunk it takes up room but better than getting stuck

Buzzgo 07-05-2018 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by CAB NY (Post 16258652)
I can't ride without a spare so since I had changed the wheels I threw the factory in the trunk it takes up room but better than getting stuck

Good thinking! think outside of the box! :cheers:

KeithL 07-08-2018 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzgo (Post 16255641)
I called dealer about spare tires. the dealer told me that most of their guests are fine with it not having a spare tire because of their complimentary roadside assistance. when i heard from them and puzzled. i was like OK then look up the website and forum. "Acura ownership extends well beyond their acclaimed, 4 years/50,000 miles limited warrently, it also includes total luxury care. - Acura | Owners Assistance - Roadside Assistance| m.acura.com. sighs...too much problems for me. bad luck this years. =( review from people comments about acura roadside assistance and seem negative about acura roadside assistance. CPR - interesting that your dealer gave you insurance mandatory for $8/month for 36 months. $288 dollars for three years. what will happens after three years?

Most guest are fine with no spare because most guests do not know there is no spare. Total BS from Acura. One day someone will,be stranded and hurt not knowing they did not have a spare and hope they sue th crap out of the car maker. With all the damn safety tests the IIHS does they should list a spare as a requirement for Top Safety Pick +.

radamo 09-14-2018 05:53 AM

Has anyone "installed" the Spare Tire Kit into their TLX on their own? Is it just pop-in or is there actual installation work that has to take place? Also does it require any special tools? Thanks for any info.

Buzzgo 09-14-2018 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by radamo (Post 16297181)
Has anyone "installed" the Spare Tire Kit into their TLX on their own? Is it just pop-in or is there actual installation work that has to take place? Also does it require any special tools? Thanks for any info.

i did installed the spare kit on my own car. it is pretty simple and straightforward. you can do it on your own and no need any special tools. PDF is attached and follow this instruction. =D

CPR 09-14-2018 11:33 AM

On my 2018 TLX/A-SPEC, the Spare tire spacer had to be cut to fit my trunk, & Spare tire
BTW: My Acura dealer installed it; not me

Buzzgo 09-14-2018 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by CPR (Post 16297393)
On my 2018 TLX/A-SPEC, the Spare tire spacer had to be cut to fit my trunk, & Spare tire
BTW: My Acura dealer installed it; not me

NO WAY!! :what: for real?? thats crazy. do you have a picture of your spare tire and trunk? I do remember in my head that when i saw spare tire rim size is 17x4T DOT 12 19 17 something like that. Remember, i have 2019 TLX A-SPEC 19inc wheels. I will take a picture tonight and post online to show everyone who are interest to get a spare tire.

CPR 09-14-2018 01:35 PM

Don't have a pic., but trust me I have 19" wheels
Remember, my car was leased in December 2017; the dealer had never sold a Blue/Red combo A-SPEC before
The service people NEVER saw a spare for this vehicle; I demanded it as part of my deal
Anyway, the tire, & kit are installed, & all is well.

Buzzgo 09-15-2018 09:59 AM

picture of spare tire - https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...85baf650a1.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...5bb130ce1f.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ec02b89872.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9bab1b71da.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...b2819286c5.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8542b11371.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1fb8b6ba08.jpg

CAB NY 04-23-2019 01:39 AM

I was at the dealer for the recall and a new A-SPEC came in on a flatbed about 330pm with a flat tire the guy hit a pothole on the highway at 1000am and no tow truck was allowed to get him off because of where he was at so he had to drive to a certain area to where they where allowed to get him and the dealer charged him a few hundred dollars for a new tire and labor I don't know if the tire was no good from the pothole or he messed it up from driving on it so the whole day is wasted because of no spare