Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+

Old 04-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+

When I got my TLX Tech SH-AWD in Nov of 2014, as part of my option package I had the dealership put the 19" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires on the car. That way I ensured I was getting the handling and cornering that I was paying for (I had learned with my TL Type S that Acura puts shit tires on their cars).

When I hit 45K miles on the tires, even though they weren't quite down to the limit yet, I sprang for a new set of A/S3+ tires. I don't know what kind of black magic the folks at Michelin have been up to, but I was really surprised at the following:

- The new tires are quieter
- The new tires are more responsive in low speed turns and sudden changes of direction
- The new tires are more stable during high speed turns, especially when they are not banked correctly

I haven't had a chance to try them in the rain yet as we have had an extended dry spell but I expect them to at least equal the superb wet handling of the earlier model.

I emphatically recommend spending a little extra money on these tires to really get the full value out of the car you bought. You won't regret it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 9SpeedTran:
accord1999 (04-16-2017), finebead (09-12-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Yeah tires make all the difference. I have the SH-AWD and I put on 20" Rims and BFG Sport Comp 2 Tires and holy moly its it different! I mean I can corner at basically any speed and have 0 tire squeal. The car now drives like it is on rails. My tires also are still very quiet (not as quiet as original but still great).
Old 04-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I'm fairly close to new tires I believe, off the top of my head I think I was at 5/32nds pretty much all around. So I was considering the A/S 3 for my next set of tires, but that's probably a waste since I don't drive spirited at all. Though I do frequent a pretty twisty mountain road....

I just know I can't wait to ditch these stock Bridgestones. Just debating between a more performance tire or a higher quality touring tire
Old 04-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
I'm fairly close to new tires I believe, off the top of my head I think I was at 5/32nds pretty much all around. So I was considering the A/S 3 for my next set of tires, but that's probably a waste since I don't drive spirited at all. Though I do frequent a pretty twisty mountain road....

I just know I can't wait to ditch these stock Bridgestones. Just debating between a more performance tire or a higher quality touring tire
I think the incredible grip of these tires in the wet justifies the extra cost from a safety perspective alone...and a higher quality touring tire might not be that much cheaper, and almost certainly would not provide the same wet/dry capabilities. Check out the reviews on Tire Rack and see what you think.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I think the incredible grip of these tires in the wet justifies the extra cost from a safety perspective alone...and a higher quality touring tire might not be that much cheaper, and almost certainly would not provide the same wet/dry capabilities. Check out the reviews on Tire Rack and see what you think.
Yeah now that I remember when I had my 3G TL, I was comparing higher quality touring tires with high performance all-season tires and they weren't too much cheaper. My only concern is tire longevity, I've already gotten more than 25k miles out of these RE97. They did get quite noisy around the 15k mark though. Now at about 5/32nds on all tires I'm already considering replacing them.

I have the A/S 3s on a 13' GS350 F Sport and they are phenomenal, but that could also be due to the suspension on the GS, and the fact that it is a much sportier car than our TLX.

Reading some really good reviews about the A/S 3 on the TLX and everyone says it transforms the car. Would really like to see how much it changes the feel of it, just don't want to regret my purchase. Also taking a look at the Pirelli All Season Plus

Also did you stick with 225s or did you go for a wider tire?

Last edited by dezymond; 04-20-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
When I got my TLX Tech SH-AWD in Nov of 2014, as part of my option package I had the dealership put the 19" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires on the car. That way I ensured I was getting the handling and cornering that I was paying for (I had learned with my TL Type S that Acura puts shit tires on their cars).

When I hit 45K miles on the tires, even though they weren't quite down to the limit yet, I sprang for a new set of A/S3+ tires. I don't know what kind of black magic the folks at Michelin have been up to, but I was really surprised at the following:

- The new tires are more responsive in low speed turns and sudden changes of direction
- The new tires are more stable during high speed turns, especially when they are not banked correctly

I haven't had a chance to try them in the rain yet as we have had an extended dry spell but I expect them to at least equal the superb wet handling of the earlier model.

I emphatically recommend spending a little extra money on these tires to really get the full value out of the car you bought. You won't regret it.
Acura swapped out the horrible OEM Goodyears on my 2015 TLX SH-AWD early in 2016 to try and stop the vibrations, and they put Pilot Sport A/S3+ on the car. Great tire. Helped the vibration and improved handling immensely.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ recently right during raining season and it handles great. Barely any tire chrip even with traction control off. I drive it in the rain like I do when its dry and theres no noticable drop off in grip. Braking is great as well. Overall a very quiet, grippy, and awesome tire.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah think I've decided that the Michelin A/S 3+ will be my next tire. See how the TLX feels with a performance tire instead of a grand touring.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

Damn, I am baffled at how many folks say they got upward of 40K on AS/3. I had them on my A6 and they were at 5/32 at 17K. I,rotate every 5K miles and keep my tires a few PSI over and never let them get low. On my TLX I put DWS 06 and at 15K miles they are at 5/32. I am baffled as to how everyone gets twice the mileage out of these tires than I do.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If you plan on driving in any snow accumulation at all be aware these have horrible traction in even half an inch of snow.
The following users liked this post:
Christopher. (01-06-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Any 2.4 TLX replaced their LS2 with the A/S3+? Feedback on how that affected the car's handling and ride?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Got the Michelin Pilot sport A/S3+ from Costco for $550 including install (before taxes).
Old 02-23-2018, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by niray9
Got the Michelin Pilot sport A/S3+ from Costco for $550 including install (before taxes).
looking forward to hearing how they compare to the stock Goodyear Eagles, I just bought a 2018 TLX I4 and looking to do the same. Did you sell or trade in your old tires?
Old 02-24-2018, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Put these tires on my TLX almost 2 months ago. Great tire.

Search this Thread