DIY - TLX RSR "Down" Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by h_dawg
Since very few people currently have lowering springs and aftermarket suspensions for the TLX right now, it's kind of difficult to answer. In my personal opinion, since the shocks on your TLX are pretty much brand new I would just go with whichever drop you think looks better. 1.3" drop might cause the shocks to wear out a little faster, but it will more than likely be okay for at least a couple years. Personally, 1.4" is about as low as I would go on stock shocks
Thanks for your reply. I see that you are also on the RSR group buy so I'm guessing you are satisfied with 1" drop and how it looks.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:36 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TLX_DallasTX
Thanks for your reply. I see that you are also on the RSR group buy so I'm guessing you are satisfied with 1" drop and how it looks.
Just based on looks, I would prefer to go 1.8-2" I think lol. My previous car was lowered about 1.9" and it looked great, but it got kind of annoying at times driving a car that was lowered that much. The other thing is, the handling of the car was great but it was pretty stiff and you felt a lot of imperfections in the road. With the TLX I'm just trying to preserve the ride quality but close out some of the wheel gap so I think the RSR springs will do just that
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

Just based on looks, I would prefer to go 1.8-2" I think lol. My previous car was lowered about 1.9" and it looked great, but it got kind of annoying at times driving a car that was lowered that much. The other thing is, the handling of the car was great but it was pretty stiff and you felt a lot of imperfections in the road. With the TLX I'm just trying to preserve the ride quality but close out some of the wheel gap so I think the RSR springs will do just that
Do you think it is bad idea to get it installed at Acura dealership and how much does it cost usually to get it installed? Would you still prefer RS-R springs if Eibach or H&R comes out with 1.3" springs? Yeah 1.9" would look good. Did that damage your suspension? lol
Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Do you think it is bad idea to get it installed at Acura dealership and how much does it cost usually to get it installed? Would you still prefer RS-R springs if Eibach or H&R comes out with 1.3" springs? Yeah 1.9" would look good. Did that damage your suspension? lol
There shouldn't be any problem with getting it installed at an Acura dealership, but some dealerships may not want to install aftermarket lowering springs for you. Cost can vary, but installation and alignment can range from $300-400 on average. Mike can probably tell you what his dealership charges for install to give you a better idea.

RSR, Eibach, and H&R all make good products. Everyone is going to have different preferences of how low they want to go, so it just depends on the look you're going for. The one thing about lowering your car is that once you do it, you always want to go lower. So if you are using lowering springs it is better to lower it the amount you really want in the first place, and save yourself some money and not have to go lower later down the line.

When I was lowered 1.9" I was on lowering springs with Tokico HTS shocks, SPC camber arms, Energy Suspension bushings, lower control arms, upgraded swaybars, and a subframe brace. Pretty much the entire suspension was upgraded so I never had any issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by h_dawg:
AsianRage (03-24-2015), TLX_DallasTX (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Cruisin'

There shouldn't be any problem with getting it installed at an Acura dealership, but some dealerships may not want to install aftermarket lowering springs for you. Cost can vary, but installation and alignment can range from $300-400 on average. Mike can probably tell you what his dealership charges for install to give you a better idea.

RSR, Eibach, and H&R all make good products. Everyone is going to have different preferences of how low they want to go, so it just depends on the look you're going for. The one thing about lowering your car is that once you do it, you always want to go lower. So if you are using lowering springs it is better to lower it the amount you really want in the first place, and save yourself some money and not have to go lower later down the line.

When I was lowered 1.9" I was on lowering springs with Tokico HTS shocks, SPC camber arms, Energy Suspension bushings, lower control arms, upgraded swaybars, and a subframe brace. Pretty much the entire suspension was upgraded so I never had any issues.
Are you planning to upgrade your wheels? I don't know if I should get 19 or 20 but looks like most people have 20. Does wheel gap get smaller as wheels get bigger?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Are you planning to upgrade your wheels? I don't know if I should get 19 or 20 but looks like most people have 20. Does wheel gap get smaller as wheels get bigger?
Yeah, probably a little later down the line I plan on getting 20s. The wheel gap does not get smaller as the wheels get bigger if you use the correct tire size. The sidewall of the tire will get smaller, but the overall diameter of the wheel plus the tire will stay the same so the wheel gap stays the same. When you upgrade your wheels, you need to use a tire size calculator to figure out which tire size you need to keep the overall diameter the same (you can just google and find a calculator online). If you do not do this and go with an incorrect tire size you will throw off your speedometer a few MPH
Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Just want to let everyone know that this is a much harder job then most any other Honda/Acura. I'm 5 hours in, and I'm just finishing one side in the front. The rears should be a piece of cake, but you basically have to take apart the whole front suspension to get the front struts out. Make sure you have good arm strength or a buddy there to help you!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
Just want to let everyone know that this is a much harder job then most any other Honda/Acura. I'm 5 hours in, and I'm just finishing one side in the front. The rears should be a piece of cake, but you basically have to take apart the whole front suspension to get the front struts out. Make sure you have good arm strength or a buddy there to help you!
Thanks for the update. I am not surprised that it's taking a while. I am fairly mechanically inclined and looking at the DIY, I know it's probably more of a job than I want or am prepared/equipped to do, Kudos to you for doing this.

Please keep us posted
Old 03-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
LOL this looks like WAY more fun than I am up for!
Old 03-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Pro

It took me about 12 hours just to complete the front. The drivers side nut on top of the strut was installed so tight it partially stripped the Allen port on top of the strut, so it took almost 3 hours of fighting to get that nut off. If you've got air tools, you'd be able to zap it off no problem without even bothering with the Allen port, so that would of saved a considerable amount of time.

I still have to do the rears but thankfully those should be a piece of cake compared to the front.

One thing I'll mention, remove the front rotors after you unbolt the calipers, it will make the front spindle so much lighter when you have to remove it.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Which suspension are you installing on your TLX Silvaccordex01?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:40 AM
Pro

I installed the RSR Down springs.

I finished the install tonight, the rears were easy, took about 1.5 hours per side taking my time, with most of that time using the spring compressor, and fitting my big hands into the small ports in the rear deck to remove the 4 strut bolts. In total, the install took me 16 hours, which i spread out over my weekend.

If you decide to do this yourself, and you don't have a lift or power tools, expect to dedicate at least a full day to do it, sore arms, and a few skinned knuckles.

Big shout out to Mike who helped me when i got stuck in a few spots during the install, thank you!

I think that it lowers it just the right amount, but i'm a fan of just subtle drops, not slammed to the ground, or zero finger gap. I prefer drivability also. If you want it so there's no finger gap/slammed, you'll have to wait for the RSR coil overs, which according to Mike, shouldn't be much longer. The ride is firmer then the factory springs, which is to be expected from lowering springs, but the ride is still very comfortable. I can't compare to other companies (H&R, Eibach) but according to Mike, these were designed with more luxury daily driver comfort in mind, which is what i wanted, over the sportier firmer ride like the H&R and Eibach Springs have.

I'll take some photos this weekend and post a few.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Does lowering the vehicle affect the warranty?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Pro

You will lose any kind of warranty on the springs, and probably the struts as well. Everything else should still be covered, but again, that won't stop some dealers from trying to blame the aftermarket part, if something goes wrong elsewhere. Some dealers are much more aftermarket friendly than others. They would have to prove the lowering springs were a direct cause for failure for them not to cover a warrantied part
Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Silvaccordex01, did you need/do a wheel alignment too?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:31 AM
Pro

Any time you lower your car, no matter how low, you need to get the alignment checked afterwards. I have an appointment tomorrow for my alignment
Old 03-24-2015, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Would you please share your results? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Pro

Toe was off all the way around, as expected, and corrected to spec and just like what Mike has stated, camber was good in the front, and just barely off in the rear. The left rear was .1 off from spec, and right rear was .2.

SPC will soon be releasing rear camber arms, but being so close to spec, they probably wont be needed with these springs, specially if you keep your tires rotated every 3-5k miles.

Last edited by Silvaccordex01; 03-24-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 434 Likes on 138 Posts
Unfortunately I won't be able to do the Group Buy since I am not a vendor, however, you can still get these springs from our friend at HeelToe Automotive. We also created a special promotion for this products. Limited to 10 sets. Here the link and go for it fellas:

RS-R Springs on Heeltoeauto.com

1) Vteck_10
2) h_dawg
3) Rnguyen0127
4) Dro1873
5) Stew4HD
6) vilolyf
7) cjhighway
8) TLX_DallasTX
9)
10)
Old 03-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
1) Vteck_10
2) h_dawg
3) Rnguyen0127
4) Dro1873
5) Stew4HD
6) cjhighway
7) TLX_DallasTX
8)
9)
10)
Old 03-28-2015, 12:34 AM
Pro

Here's a picture with my newly installed 19in Vossen CVT in gloss graphite, and RSR springs.

Vossen's are 19x8.5 with 32 offset with 245-40-19 Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - TLX RSR "Down" Lowering Springs-img_20150327_215133.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by Silvaccordex01:
9SpeedTran (08-23-2015), h_dawg (03-30-2015), K3RMiTdot (08-26-2015), scooterb84 (03-28-2015), Stew4HD (03-30-2015)
Old 03-29-2015, 12:38 AM
Intermediate

I think a big part of deciding how low you want to do it where you live. I live in NY and i should not go lower than 1" but when i lived in miami, my car was slammed and never had an issue. This 1" is perfect for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Racer

Just confirmed RSR inventory is very low on these TLX Lowering Spring set. Take advantage of the special offer from Heel Toe Automotive. Link is below:

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...to-com-928166/
Old 03-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Silvaccordex01, now that you have had the RSR springs for at least a week or more, how are you liking them? Ride quality? Any issues?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Pro

Still really like them. Ride quality is great, and the drop is perfect in my opinion.

I did end up noticing a very slight squeak from the front bump stop, but it was an easy fix. Just lifted the boot up on the front strut and slid some grease up between the bump stop and the shaft, and all around the outside of the bump stop, just incase. Mike actually used silicone spray on the bump stop before reassembling, from what he told me. So just be sure to do that, or just remove them entirely, to avoid any squeaks.

Better hurry up and order from HeelToe if you want them, stock is low!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Mine arrived today.. just need to decide when I want to do the project
Old 04-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

I installed mine today.. OMFG!!! The fronts were fairly easy.. the rears kicked my ass!!! WTH was Acura thinking putting the access to the top strut nuts inside that little fricken hole? I can't get my hands in there.. The hard part was getting the struts up in the holes and then getting to stay there so I could get inside the car to get the ntus on through that little access.. getting the nuts started so hard...

Took me 8 huors, 3 on the fronts, 5 on the rears.

Whew! Got it done though. Will get some pics andreport on the ride
Old 04-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I installed mine today.. OMFG!!! The fronts were fairly easy.. the rears kicked my ass!!! WTH was Acura thinking putting the access to the top strut nuts inside that little fricken hole? I can't get my hands in there.. The hard part was getting the struts up in the holes and then getting to stay there so I could get inside the car to get the ntus on through that little access.. getting the nuts started so hard...

Took me 8 huors, 3 on the fronts, 5 on the rears.

Whew! Got it done though. Will get some pics andreport on the ride

Good job getting it done in just 8 hours!

For the rears, i just made sure the top hats lined up with the holes, and bolted the lower bolt first, which held the strut in place and made it so there was no problem getting them to stay in place. I agree too, that those tiny access holes are a big pita for people that have anything bigger then small hands.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (04-05-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Suzuka Master

I sure hope these are the springs I just installed on my car are the correct ones for the AWD model. I didn't get to road test the car on Saturday or yesterday.. I sure should have. The car feels spongy now and I feel every crack in the road. I left the car at home today and will look it over this evening to be sure I tightened every thing back down correctly. I hear a clicking/rattling in the right front when I hit little bumps. That is scared me a bit.

That was all I found out this morning as I started off for work. Yep, my real bad for not road testing right away on Saturday after the install. I didn't get out of the neighborhood before I went back home and hopped in my truck to get to work.

I hope I didn't mess up by not removing the spindles like the DIY says. I took off the 36mm nut on the left front where I started but couldn't get the spindle loose, so I put the nut back on and worked around it. I didn't even mess with it on the on the right hand side.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:47 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Great DIY.

I found a shop here in Ontario that can get RSR products, so I ordered a set of these.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Update.. fixed the issues.. just needed to tighten up the top strut nut and now.. YEAH! Check out the pics in the photo galllery.

Thanks for the DIY!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Pro

I sure hope these are the springs I just installed on my car are the correct ones for the AWD model. I didn't get to road test the car on Saturday or yesterday.. I sure should have. The car feels spongy now and I feel every crack in the road. I left the car at home today and will look it over this evening to be sure I tightened every thing back down correctly. I hear a clicking/rattling in the right front when I hit little bumps. That is scared me a bit.

That was all I found out this morning as I started off for work. Yep, my real bad for not road testing right away on Saturday after the install. I didn't get out of the neighborhood before I went back home and hopped in my truck to get to work.

I hope I didn't mess up by not removing the spindles like the DIY says. I took off the 36mm nut on the left front where I started but couldn't get the spindle loose, so I put the nut back on and worked around it. I didn't even mess with it on the on the right hand side.
How the heck did you do the front without removing the spindles?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
How the heck did you do the front without removing the spindles?
After I got the ball joint separated, the spindle and rotor assembly just slid to the side.. easy, peasy
Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Racer

RSR Down Springs
Vossen Gloss Graphite Vfs2
20x9 Offset +38 all around
245/35/20 Tires all around
Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chan_Mike
I will try my best and walk everyone through on lowering your TLX with these RSR "Down" lowering springs. Feel free to comment and ask any question at the end of the installation.

RSR "Down" Lowering Springs
Fits ALL TLX model. (L4, V6, P-AWS and SH-AWD)
Test Vehicle: 2015 Acura TLX V6 Advance SH-AWD
Do you know if RSR has ANY plans of creating the Superdown for the TLX?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Has anyone gone ahead and installed the rear camber kit? If so, what are the results?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Treblig
Has anyone gone ahead and installed the rear camber kit? If so, what are the results?
I didn't know a kit was available yet. If there is one, I'd install it to save the extra wear I am going to have on the inside the rears
Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tmorrison11
Do you know if RSR has ANY plans of creating the Superdown for the TLX?
I don't believe they have plan to develop SuperDown for the TLX at this point.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Racer

I didn't know a kit was available yet. If there is one, I'd install it to save the extra wear I am going to have on the inside the rears
Looking into the rear camber kit right now. It's a bit hard due to the P-AWS, but should have some sort of idea in a few weeks.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chan_Mike
Looking into the rear camber kit right now. It's a bit hard due to the P-AWS, but should have some sort of idea in a few weeks.
I have the SH-AWD model, so no P-AWS. I wonder if they need to develop 2 different kits? I haven't seen the P-AWS rear suspension to see the difference in how they are built.

Quick Reply: DIY - TLX RSR "Down" Lowering Springs