Worried about 2017 Acura TLX AWD post. Anyone with one please comment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Worried about 2017 Acura TLX AWD post. Anyone with one please comment!!!

I recently put a deposit for a 2017 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD Tech. The car should be coming in a few days (had to ship color I wanted). I got an amazing deal at least 7k off sticker price (dealer said because they are getting new 2018s and incentive was straight from corporate).

Anyways during my test drive I liked the car, no issues. I will test drive before I sign on the dotted line. However I've been doing some research on the car and sounds like there have been two major issues with the TLX especially the V6 versions

1) Transmission issues

2) Vibration from variable cylinder management (VCM) and other sources

Can anyone with a current 2017 AWD model comment their experience? I'm hoping they worked out those kinks in the 2015-2016 models. Hopefully the dealer gave me the good deal because of the new 2018s, not because it is a bad car. Worse comes to worse (hopefully they will give me a full refund on the deposit without hassle, doubtful because they also had to ship car from other dealer). Any thoughts appreciated!!!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I don't own a '17 TLX but I follow the chatter about the TLX very closely. I think you are going to love your car. The transmission issues were predominately with the '15 TLX. The harsh shifting has been dealt with and the '16 and newer models should be fine. The VCM issue seems to be a bit more isolated and received fewer complaints. A lot of TLX owners never report any VCM issues. I think you're just dealing with the normal emotion of not wanting to have buyer's remorse. My guess is that everything will be fine and you're going to be very pleased with your purchase. Sounds like you're getting a killer deal. Relax and enjoy it.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:17 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 owner here. I love my TLX, no issues whatsoever. Most of the people who complain about the ZF9 don't even own one. As for the VCM, I've never experience any vibrations. Have fun with your new car!
Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Make sure you test drive it at your own pace, maybe even a whole day loaner if dealer allows. That way you can rest assured car will be to your liking.
As for the comment about complaints from non-owners, well many that had problems with their 15 TLX have moved on from Acura (potentially count me in, don't feel like spending more on MMC). The ZF 9 is not perfect, really related to your driving style. It's made to save gas, period. Sport+ is aggressive, not really a good match for everyday driving.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
If rapid acceleration while moving (vs from a stop) is important to you, then do several slow down and punch it repeats. My biggest complaint about the ZF9 was the delay in finding the correct gear while merging. It sounds like the car is much improved from earlier versions, but I still find that merging delay to be a deal breaker for me.....if it does not bother you then it might be the right car. And you do not have to own a car to have an opinion. The attitude that you have to own one to talk about one is arrogant and wrong.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
As mentioned, most problems were with early build (late 2014) for 2015 model year. I have a 2015 personally (later build) and it works great no issues!
Old 06-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I have a very early 2015 SH-AWD. I got the transmission replaced, and now it works beautifully. When they replaced it, however, the VCM vibration started -- turns out all they had to do to fix that was run a procedure called "neutralizing" the active engine mounts. Now it is smooth as butter. I think you will love your 2017 -- but REPLACE THE TIRES. People like me who have put the Michelin Pilot Sports on have reported an amazing difference in the handling of the car.
The following users liked this post:
slimm1469 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a later 2015 TLX AWD Advance. I replaced my tires with Continental Extreme Contact DWS from the beginning. Only a minor vibration issue early on and upon re-spinning it was gone. No transmission issues. There were a coupled of service bulletins to upgrade software and those were complied with but never really noticed any issues anyway. BTW if you purchased the upgraded wheels and tires, the original rims and tires are yours since it's not an assembly line swap. Some keep the rims for snow tires. I traded mine in to the dealer in exchange for a couple of services being covered. Just an idea. Today I a=have just under 16K and still doing fine.