V6 transmission thunk in/out of park?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:07 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
V6 transmission thunk in/out of park?

My transmission sometimes (but not always) makes a loud thunk (mixed with a click) sound when going into and out of park. I can reliably reproduce it but it seems to happen more frequently if I go into park after driving then into reverse or drive to adjust my parking.

Normal? Not? No other problems really, just a surprising noise (and a "is that normal?!? noise at that)
Old 07-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I also have a 2015 TLX, and that is NOT a normal noise. Return it to the dealer.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Mine makes the *thunk* every-so-often going into reverse from park. Not sure about the click.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Motor mounts ?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the last symptoms my transmission developed before I recently took it to the dealer for service was a hard thump when shifting, to and from park. I also had issues with throttle delay, gear-selection shift delay (from Park to Reverse/Drive), the transmission getting stuck in a particular gear when accelerating or decelerating well past that gear's speed limits, and lastly a shutter and almost stall when the trans stayed stuck in a gear too high for the vehicles current speed. The symptom that finally got some attention from the service advisors was a loud squeaking sound when shifting from gears 2 - 3, this was the red flag to my technician that my transmission was failing. He told me almost certainly that it would need to be replaced from that alone.

Below is a thread where I described in more detail what I was experiencing. I've since realized I left a few things out because I overlooked them at the time, but that is exactly why you should read it. It may help you notice a behavior your trans is exhibiting that you may be overlooking. More ammo to take to the dealership, since despite multiple TSBs on these very issues, Acura refuses to issue a recall.
https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...-issue-960012/
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I haven't noticed it since I started applying he parking brake on a regular basis. I think this was from rolling and putting a little pressure on the transmission when in park and then going to drive or reverse.