Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Good luck
LOL Thanks !
Old 08-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
l3uk, I have the 4 cyl. and overall like the car but the DCT also is jerky even after the software about (the update helped though). I think both transmissions have issues, unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I had both the 40 and 41 TSBs applied, and the 2-3 shift (and all the others) is now smooth as buttah. Hopefully it will stay that way! :-)
The following 3 users liked this post by 9SpeedTran:
bbast07 (08-26-2015), Hoosier_TLX (08-26-2015), Stew4HD (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
I had both the 40 and 41 TSBs applied, and the 2-3 shift (and all the others) is now smooth as buttah. Hopefully it will stay that way! :-)
Mine goes in today.. don't go getting my hopes up!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Mine goes in today.. don't go getting my hopes up!
I hope this finally fixes your tranny issues Stew. Even though you (and others) have dealt with this for a long time, you have expressed your feelings about how disappointed you are but you haven't gone totally ballistic and managed to keep an admirably even keel throughout.

Best of luck to you today and to everyone else who is having these updates applied soon.

P.S. to everyone else who has had this update for better or worse I hope you all get to finally enjoy the car as it should be.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoosier_TLX:
CPR (08-26-2015), Stew4HD (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Racer

Sorry to say.... It didn't fix the issue. Yes the occurrence reduces, but it is still there. And as before, I'm pretty sure the number of occurrences increases with the passage of time.
This might be my last Acura folks... Sorry to say... Can't wait for the remainder of the 31 months of my lease to be over.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mani
This might be my last Acura folks... Sorry to say...
I hope for your sake that Acura does not produce a fabulous product in the near future as that would prevent you from getting one. But then again, I do hope that they produce a clear winner.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Quandry
I hope for your sake that Acura does not produce a fabulous product in the near future as that would prevent you from getting one. But then again, I do hope that they produce a clear winner.
As long as they don't stop

1) being greedy by saving money on R&D and building their own transmission (like they historically have),

2) drop performance and sportiness in the race of winning best MPG wars

3) offer 10 different trims and taking off so much of equipment which should be standard for a premium brand car..

I highly doubt a clear winner in the next few years. And trust me, this comes from someone who had high hopes from the comeback of the current generation TL.... not to mention, waited months to get my hands on one and even freaking traded in a 13 months lease which had almost 2 years left ...
I have been loyal to Acura, but is Acura being loyal to me or should I say ALL OF US ? the answer is NO.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
So I was driving my 2014 MDX today, and its 6 speed every now and then shifts as rough as TLX 2-3. I think in many cases it is simply because the other shifts on TLX ZF are so smooth you sometimes can't even feel them that 2-3 sticks out like a sore thumb. Just my two cents.

One other thing that is a little weird...watch how you put your foot on the gas pedal. It is easy to put it too low on the pedal and then the accelerator mechanism doesn't work quite right. You really need to carefully get your foot fully on the pedal so your toes are near the top. I had this problem (worse even) with my TL Type S. In that, when I was trundling around, if I didnt position my foot right, it almost seemed like it was ready to stall.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Let the games continue! Scheduled for Monday morning for VERSION 2 of TSB 15-040. This version is specific about how the idle relearn must be done. That probably explains why each of us is getting a different result with this TSB. At least they will have a loaner for me this time. Maybe 7th time is a charm? (See updated TSB in TSB section)
Old 08-28-2015, 04:08 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
V2?

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
Let the games continue! Scheduled for Monday morning for VERSION 2 of TSB 15-040. This version is specific about how the idle relearn must be done. That probably explains why each of us is getting a different result with this TSB. At least they will have a loaner for me this time. Maybe 7th time is a charm? (See updated TSB in TSB section)
Hi. Thanks for this info. How did you learn about version 2? Did the official TSB document actually change?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 AM
Instructor

I subscribe to the TSB thread here, and EE4LIFE is great about posting new TSBs and updates. They posted about version 2.0 yesterday. Same TSB link.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ATXTLX
BTW, why do you need a loaner? Will the procedure take a while?
Old 08-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisrayala
Hi. Thanks for this info. How did you learn about version 2? Did the official TSB document actually change?
The original TSB had the VINs stated incorrectly. They had the VINs for AWD listed for the V6 FWD and vice-versa. There may be other changes, as well, but I haven't checked yet.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have an early 2015 v6 2 wheel drive. Shifting was bad, after April update it was bad but improve with driving 1000 miles. After 038 update, no change but improve more over 600 miles of driving. Now it is improved to the point that I feel a bit bad about complaining about it. But some times I notice the 2-3 shift, but the others are seemless. So now focused on making it perfect. Hoping the 040 TSB will do that.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Hartley
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have an early 2015 v6 2 wheel drive. Shifting was bad, after April update it was bad but improve with driving 1000 miles. After 038 update, no change but improve more over 600 miles of driving. Now it is improved to the point that I feel a bit bad about complaining about it. But some times I notice the 2-3 shift, but the others are seemless. So now focused on making it perfect. Hoping the 040 TSB will do that.
I hope the new TSB helps you. I felt a difference for about 3 or 4 days. Now my TLX (V6, 2WD with a build date of December 2014) is back to shifting the way it did before. I actually don't think the TSB / Software updates are doing anything. I think I only saw a difference because of the idle relearn. I think there is something inherently wrong with the "learning" attributes of this ZF 9 speed transmission.

It is time for a new transmission. A DIFFERENT transmission, besides the ZF one. Too bad this model TLX won't see that.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM
Instructor

For those of us affected by a jerky, hesitant, or otherwise poor transmission:

https://www.change.org/p/jon-ikeda-t...edium=copyLink

Calls to Acura Client Relations have not worked. If you would like to be heard, simply sign the document. If you would like me to reword any of it, let me know. Maybe this will be a good way to see how many individuals actually want an improved transmission.

Just one of a few ideas I have... Thanks for your time! I will be posting this on a few threads, Moderators, so I hope you don't mind.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:12 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
I'd say something like this. This was a quick pass at it so it could be refined.

We, the undersigned, represent a group of owners who purchased the all-new Acura TLX in 2015 and are seeking action from Acura to remedy poor transmission performance.

The ZF 9HP 9 speed automatic transmission used in the TLX application has exhibited hard shifts, slow engagement, among other undesirable behavior not consistent with a $40,000.00 sport luxury product. Hard shifts usually occur between the second to third gear upshift resulting in a jolt in contrast to other shifts which are smooth and nearly imperceptible. These hard shifts are disruptive, noticeable to passengers, and embarrassing when transporting others in the car. Acura has made attempts at fixing the issue in the TLX with two technical service bulletins specifying software updates. Many have found these updates do not fix the problem. It should also be noted that the new Acura MDX, which uses the same transmission, does not suffer from this issue.

We collectively demand that Acura immediately take whatever action is necessary to correct the problem many unsatisfied and loyal customers are experiencing.
The following 3 users liked this post by jeich182:
2011TL (10-14-2015), ATXTLX (10-14-2015), Stew4HD (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

jeich, well said!!

ACR's actions or rather, inaction, was very disappointing to me. To constantly apologize to me instead of asking what they can do to fix it, their passing it off to my local dealership when that local dealership could only apologize for not being able to fix it was unacceptable.

If I hadn't so upside down on the TLX, I would not be driving an Acura today.
The following users liked this post:
ATXTLX (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeich182
I'd say something like this. This was a quick pass at it so it could be refined.

We, the undersigned, represent a group of owners who purchased the all-new Acura TLX in 2015 and are seeking action from Acura to remedy poor transmission performance.

The ZF 9HP 9 speed automatic transmission used in the TLX application has exhibited hard shifts, slow engagement, among other undesirable behavior not consistent with a $40,000.00 sport luxury product. Hard shifts usually occur between the second to third gear upshift resulting in a jolt in contrast to other shifts which are smooth and nearly imperceptible. These hard shifts are disruptive, noticeable to passengers, and embarrassing when transporting others in the car. Acura has made attempts at fixing the issue in the TLX with two technical service bulletins specifying software updates. Many have found these updates do not fix the problem. It should also be noted that the new Acura MDX, which uses the same transmission, does not suffer from this issue.

We collectively demand that Acura immediately take whatever action is necessary to correct the problem many unsatisfied and loyal customers are experiencing.

Thank you for this. I have updated, and included additional info about safety.

I hope this can show Acura that it is not just us as individuals that are experiencing these issues, and no one else. In a sense, when they tell me that, it makes me feel even worse.. like they are trying to make this seem like it is all in my head.

Thank you to those that have signed the petition. If you have a spouse that is tired of hearing you complain about your transmission, have them sign as well! Every signature helps.

Wes
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Suzuka Master

I didn't sign it but maybe I should just because of the past?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Instructor

I didn't sign it but maybe I should just because of the past?

I would say you were affected by this. It pushed you into a different car!

I wouldn't be mad if you signed.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
^^
Agree, especially since it was so bad you got rid of it.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I signed it
ATXTLX (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Signed.

"I'm signing because, as a loyal customer over two decades and 10+ cars, I have never been more disappointed in the performance of an Acura. The slow and disconnected feeling during the "dog clutch" downshifts is annoying at best and unsafe at worst. The always-present hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear is a constant reminder to drivers and passengers that there is an inconsistency in the way the car operates. These transmission issues are in addition to bad vibrations induced by the VCM system. Sadly, for the first time in two decades I feel I am ready to move on from Acura."
The following 3 users liked this post by jeich182:
2011TL (10-15-2015), ATXTLX (10-15-2015), Stew4HD (10-15-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Brought my TLX in for the A maintenance. I was told there was no new update for my car. Starting to seriously doubt my dealer. Been nothing but grief since I got my car. I brought up an issue with the rain sensing wipers wiping really fast when there's little rain and I have to turn off and on the wipers to fix it. Their solution in the invoice was that there's a setting I can adjust...

I also raised a concern with the brake hold. It happened a few times where I accelerate after the brake hold was applied, it will quickly reapply itself (brake hold light turns on) while the car is accelerating cause a sudden brake and I can hear grinding noises. Feels like someone hit me from behind. This occurrence happened about 5-6 times. Brought up the issue and I was told they found nothing wrong and that the brake hold light is suppose to be on if I turn the feature on. Seriously are these guys even listening to my issues?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vlke
Brought my TLX in for the A maintenance. I was told there was no new update for my car. Starting to seriously doubt my dealer. Been nothing but grief since I got my car. I brought up an issue with the rain sensing wipers wiping really fast when there's little rain and I have to turn off and on the wipers to fix it. Their solution in the invoice was that there's a setting I can adjust...

I also raised a concern with the brake hold. It happened a few times where I accelerate after the brake hold was applied, it will quickly reapply itself (brake hold light turns on) while the car is accelerating cause a sudden brake and I can hear grinding noises. Feels like someone hit me from behind. This occurrence happened about 5-6 times. Brought up the issue and I was told they found nothing wrong and that the brake hold light is suppose to be on if I turn the feature on. Seriously are these guys even listening to my issues?

Just to add, the service person told me they hooked up the car and found no update. I just punched in my VIN# on Acura.ca for any possible recall and the K95 update pops up. Does that mean it's just this dealer that don't have the update or their computer determined by TLX does not require the update?
Old 10-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Vlke, I would find another dealer. The fact that they are telling you the brake hold light should stay on either means they don't care or the don't understand how it works. Either one is bad. You definitely have an issue with brake hold.

Jeich182, I see no issues with the dog clutches, and I wouldn't call it dangerous. But that is just my feelings on it. I. Have zero issues with my transmission, aside from the occasional edgy 2-3 shift when cold, but even that is mild. I do understand, though, that in other's cars this is much worse. I consider myself lucky and I absolutely love this car.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this in the hard shift thread but thought I would post here too just in case:

I have a 2015 TLX v6 SH-AWD with Tech. I brought my car in for A1 service and had them apply TSB-38 and TSB-40 in addition to the 15-34 they knew about. Here is my question, the tech applied 15-38 and then 15-40. After he applied 15-40 he deleted 15-38 saying that 15-40 contained 15-38 and if the car took 15-40 then I don't need 15-38.

I still have the hesitation and jerk from 2-3 if not worse than before they applied the TSBs. Was the tech right or do I need to take it back in to have 15-38 applied again?
Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
15-34:
Update the TCM software and clear any DTCs.
Do the PCM idle learn procedure.
Update the PGM-FI software.

15-38:
Update the PGM-FI software
Idle Learn

15-40:
Update the TCM software and clear any DTCs.
Do the PCM idle learn procedure

So, if all were to be done at once it would be the same as 15-34 since the software levels would not have changed and 15-38 and 15-40 would be redundant. Presumably the reason for the separate TSBs is that the software was changed in between.

But there is a chance that "deleting" 15-38 invalidated the Idle learn procedure. I know that when I had these TSBs done they did not do the Idle learn correctly. For me that made the Idle Stop not work, but maybe it also means the shift issues are not corrected.

From reading posts it would appear that a failed Idle learn is not an infrequent problem.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Banned

Validated

Not that I ever doubted myself or any of you but this article from Consumer Reports encourages me because a major publication has acknowledged the problem and cited the TLX specifically. Have fun reading:

Car Reliability Is Hurt By Some New Technologies - Consumer Reports

Here are some choice quotes:
While problematic car infotainment systems continue to be among the top issues reported by new car owners, Consumer Reports has identified an emerging trend of increased troubles with new transmission systems developed to improve fuel economy.

The recently launched Jeep Cherokee has had persistent problems with its nine-speed automatic transmission. Despite several rounds of software updates, complaints of rough shifting or getting stuck in one gear continue. The six-speed dual-clutch transmissions also created problems for the Dodge Dart and Fiat 500L.

Nine-speed automatic and eight-speed dual-clutch transmissions are responsible for many of the problems reported in the new Acura TLX—key toward knocking the brand into below-average reliability.
Meanwhile, the number of complaints associated with infotainment systems has increased. Common issues include unresponsive or crashing touch screens, or a reluctance to pair a phone. AcuraLink, Cadillac’s CUE, and Infiniti’s InTouch systems have been particularly problematic.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Banned

Maybe we can use this article next time ACR tells us that the hard shift is "normal behavior".
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Banned

And maybe we can use this article if we decide to take legal action.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:59 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisrayala
Maybe we can use this article next time ACR tells us that the hard shift is "normal behavior".
Actually, sadly, this does seem to validate that it is "normal" since it is a common complaint. Just in Acura's eye their customers need to adjust their expectation.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Actually, sadly, this does seem to validate that it is "normal" since it is a common complaint. Just in Acura's eye their customers need to adjust their expectation.
That was exactly the attitude the regional rep gave me. This is new technology, I need to adjust and accept.....
Old 10-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Guess CR heard ya guys Cited TLX transmission (9 speed) and the entertainment/navi system.

Attached Thumbnails Update received from ZF regarding 9 speed software update-v2-151029991.jpg  
Old 10-22-2015, 04:39 AM
Summer is Coming

Not a big fan of CR's process here. They are equating Reliability with complaints and the two are not directly related. Because someone can't figure out how to program their GPS doesn't mean the car is less reliable. But many less educated consumers don't look past the surface.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Not a big fan of CR's process here. They are equating Reliability with complaints and the two are not directly related. Because someone can't figure out how to program their GPS doesn't mean the car is less reliable. But many less educated consumers don't look past the surface.
Yeah me neither. BUT, you could do what I did and ignore the title CR gave it and just re-title it in your head to "NEW CAR ISSUES" and voila, it all makes sense!
Old 10-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
CR claims that their ratings are not based on "if you like it or not", but rather heavily weighted on time in shop. Either way, I am hoping that Acura gets motivated to fix or replace the ZF, even if it is behaving "normally as designed"

From Cars.com...
CR defends that its survey measures problems, not dislikes.
"We draw a pretty strict line between the two," Fisher said. "We're talking about, 'You had to bring it back to the dealer to get it fixed.' It's not about, 'I don't like the way this thing works,' or 'it does this thing that's really annoying.' "

Last edited by quantum7; 10-22-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by quantum7
CR claims that their ratings are not based on "if you like it or not", but rather heavily weighted on time in shop. Either way, I am hoping that Acura gets motivated to fix or replace the ZF, even if it is behaving "normally as designed"

From Cars.com...
CR defends that its survey measures problems, not dislikes.
"We draw a pretty strict line between the two," Fisher said. "We're talking about, 'You had to bring it back to the dealer to get it fixed.' It's not about, 'I don't like the way this thing works,' or 'it does this thing that's really annoying.' "
They will replace the ZF with an in-house transmission at some point. That may not be until a redesign. I've heard (can't confirm) that they are working on a 10DCT that can handle the torque of the V6.
quantum7 (10-24-2015)

Quick Reply: Update received from ZF regarding 9 speed software update