Squealing Sound When Coming to a Stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Squealing Sound When Coming to a Stop

Hi Everyone,

Have a relatively new 2015 TLX with only 4500 miles on it. Have had a problem develop since the cold weather has come to the Northeast.

It's not when I first apply the brakes, but when the car is coming to a complete stop, I'm hearing this whinny/squealing sound. Like something is lose or needs to be oiled/greased.

Of course, when I took it to the dealership yesterday it wasn't making the noise and they told me to bring it back when it does.

Sure enough, this morning, it was doing it when I was going to work. I notice that I only hear it when the temperature goes below 30 degrees.

Any ideas what might be going on? I'm at a lose as I'm not hearing the squealing sound when I first apply the brakes and I'm not having any pulsating/grinding in the wheel when I apply the brakes either.

Could it be something wrong with the axle or wheel?

Last edited by smarty666; 01-07-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Record the sound on your Cell phone and play it to the dealer.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ That is a great in all, but the dealership stated they are not going to do anything unless the car is making the noise when they have it. Recording it on my phone if the car isn't doing it at that exact moment doesn't help.

I need some ideas on what it could possibly be? Any TSBs for this issue or a similar one? Anyone else having brake/rotor/axle issues in the cold weather?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Keep us posted...thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually had this problem on mine about 4 or 5 months ago. It ended up being the rear brake being glazed. They lubricated all the rotors and resurfaced them and the sound was gone. You could possibly have the same problem. Hopefully this pushed you in the right direction.