Sound Coming From Transmission (With Terrible Service Experience)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sound Coming From Transmission (With Terrible Service Experience)

tldr: Transmission started making noises, service falsely accusing that my car has been in an accident and refusing to replace the transmission, everything else still pending

Long story:
Just last Saturday before Christmas, my 2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance started making strange noises from the engine compartment. When I reverse, it would make a sound like something hitting against each other. I thought there was something under my car, but everything looked clear. When I accelerate forward, there would be some strange whirring sound that almost sound like air was being sucked in or something, and when coasting downhill, strange fluttering sounds would happen sometimes. This sound only happens during low speeds. After 10-15 MPH, it would go away.

I called the closest dealer near my house asking for earliest date I could bring it in and was told Tuesday at 7:40 AM and I accepted it... except it didn't go through or something. I arrived slightly before 7:40 AM and was told that my name was not on the list. I was slightly frustrated because I had to wake up way earlier than my normal time. I re-scheduled for Thursday and I received an e-mail confirmation along with it, while the email for the Tuesday appointment never came. I'm assuming the receptionist must have not saved it properly. Mistakes can happen, so I let it go.

I brought my car in on Thursday and when my service advisor called me, I was told that three service technicians drove my car and they all think that it's coming from the transmission and it would need to be replaced. You would think that it would be replaced under warranty, but nope. Things just started to go terrible from here. I was told that they would not replace my transmission because they think my car has been into an accident. I was really confused for a moment. I've had this car for almost 3 years and never had a single accident. There's not even a single dent on this car. The reasons they gave me were front left tire had uneven wear and that my hood was repainted. I can tell you now that my hood has not been repainted. If my left tire had uneven wear then it could be caused by anything else, like alignment or taking sharp turns. I did not buy it that those reasons would be enough to deny warranty repair. They asked me if I wanted to continue with the repair, but I would have to pay for the diagnostic fee, and I agreed because I was still processing what was happening.

The next day (Friday), I called to talk about my car around 8 AM. I was told that they would tell the service advisor to call me back. Apparently another service advisor had to take over since my initial one was off those days. I never had received a call back by the time it was 2 PM, so I called again. I was told that the service advisor was busy walking around and forgot about my call. I found that unacceptable... The receptionist told me the service advisor would try to call me back ASAP. After I got the call, I tried to reaffirm my stance that my car has not been into an accident. She basically reiterated everything that I knew, but what popped up even more to me was the fact that she said the service technicians think that I was in a major accident. At that point, I asked if I should get my insurance agent involved and replied that it was not necessary and she would try to figure it out and get back to me. I never received another call that day.

On Saturday, I waited for a phone call up until 11 AM and never received one, so I decided that it was probably better for me to talk in person than through the phone. Since I'm under 25, I can't receive a loaner car, so I had to call for a shuttle. When I got there, I talked with the service manager. He asked the service advisor that I talked to yesterday (not my initial one) about my car. He reiterated what I was told already and that it looks like they were going to bring in my car to a body shop to check my frame alignments on Tuesday and that my initial service advisor would call me back that day. I didn't know what to do so I said okay, and just took the shuttle back to my house.

Quick facts about my car:
  • I'm the first owner
  • No accidents on record
  • No dents on the car
  • Rear passenger door and rear bumper had been repainted because of paint damage from external objects

Today (Tuesday), it was already 5 PM and I never received a call, so I called them and was told that my service advisor was still off and the service manager was handling my car. I thought I would be hearing good news because I am confident that my car had no accidents at all. When the service manager talked to me he told me that the car was still at the body shop said they found four replaced panels on the car. I told him that I had not replaced a single panel on that car. He told me that he would have a more concrete answer tomorrow.

I did not like the way my year ended. This was the worst service experience I ever had. I am falsely being accused that my car had been in accident and now they're telling me that the body shop said that 4 of the panels on my car had been replaced when it had not been. If the final answer from them is that they won't cover under warranty, I feel like my head is about to explode from the frustration and stress.
Is there anyone I can complain about this experience to? I'm thinking of Acura Client Relations and the California Bureau of Automotive Repair, but I'm not sure if they can do anything if my car does end up being repaired under warranty.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:25 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Which 4 panels did they say was replaced?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:30 AM
Intermediate

The service manager didn't specify.

Last edited by Xterminator; 01-03-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:19 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Here is another explanation. If the dealer is correct then the car was repaired before you bought it.

The truth can be stranger than fiction.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I think you are getting burned.
Honda has shown time and time again, they do not care about Acura or it's customers.
I would accelerate and escalate a call to Acura client services, I think that's who you call for customer service help.

You brought the car in for transmission sounds. Why the fuck are they looking at body panels
Old 01-03-2018, 09:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Get client relations involved - plus have them run a CarFax
Old 01-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

I contacted Acura Client Relations, but all they did was really contact my service advisor and had him call me. I was told that my driver door and fender had been repainted and blended, but it still doesn’t mean that I’ve been into an accident or deny warranty. It looks like they’re also going to contact TechLine to take a look.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM

they shouldnt be looking at the panels.
"Doc, my throat is sore..."
"hmmm, let me see your feet!"
Old 01-04-2018, 03:38 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Your car may well have been damaged in a test drive, or in transit to the dealership. Usually these are more scratch and dent issues and they are repaired at a receiving facility. But your car may have been in an accident while at the dealership either by a customer in a test drive or someone that works for the dealership. How many miles were on the odometer when you took delivery? Have you ever run a VIN check of your car? Assuming this damage was done prior to a sale I'm not sure if it would show on the title. Dealerships don't repair this level of damage so it may be possible that a third party repair shop has records. See if the dealership you bought it from has a repair shop they use and ask them if they ever worked on the car.

It sounds like this is not the dealership you bought it from so they may just be seeing over spray or generic panels and there is only one conclusion. If the selling dealership had a serious accident in the car and did not disclose that to you that sounds like a legal matter. Maybe your insurance company can help you out.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
^ Agreed - if you were sold a damaged car (new) and not told about it, lawyer up.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Your car may well have been damaged in a test drive, or in transit to the dealership. Usually these are more scratch and dent issues and they are repaired at a receiving facility. But your car may have been in an accident while at the dealership either by a customer in a test drive or someone that works for the dealership. How many miles were on the odometer when you took delivery? Have you ever run a VIN check of your car? Assuming this damage was done prior to a sale I'm not sure if it would show on the title. Dealerships don't repair this level of damage so it may be possible that a third party repair shop has records. See if the dealership you bought it from has a repair shop they use and ask them if they ever worked on the car.

It sounds like this is not the dealership you bought it from so they may just be seeing over spray or generic panels and there is only one conclusion. If the selling dealership had a serious accident in the car and did not disclose that to you that sounds like a legal matter. Maybe your insurance company can help you out.
I actually bought this car the day it arrived at the dealership (the same servicing it right now). There was about 9 miles on the odometer. I generally do my maintenance at another dealership since it's closer to my work place.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Acura Client Relations got back to me this morning and said they were also going to follow up with this case. Not sure why they didn't contact me about this yesterday during my initial call. This should be good though. I just want my car back ASAP since renting a car when you're under 25 is pricey.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
If and when your car is repaired under warranty, you may be able to seek reimbursement for the rental. $0.02
Old 01-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

New update: I’m being told that TechLine informed them that the sound is not coming from the transmission, but coming from the body of the car and suggest that I take it into a body shop to look at instead. Apparently I also have a bent wheel... which I’m curious about. Going to check it out today.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Xterminator
New update: I’m being told that TechLine informed them that the sound is not coming from the transmission, but coming from the body of the car and suggest that I take it into a body shop to look at instead. Apparently I also have a bent wheel... which I’m curious about. Going to check it out today.
ohhh, thats why they were so fixated on an accident.

hope everything works out in your favor
Old 01-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
So they were just making up all the stuff about body panels being replaced? Sounds like they are really going out of their way to stiff you on the warranty. You might want to get a good independent shop to look at the car and see if they believe it is the transmission.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Picked up my car. They told me it’s not the wheel that’s causing it since they swapped it with the rear and it’s still there. They also did some test with the transmission suggested by TechLine and it came out okay. They insist that front fender and door has been repainted, but doesn’t matter to me. They’re not going to go deeper unless I pay their diagnostic fee, which is going to be expensive since they estimate 5 hours to take apart my car. Suggest me to just take it to a body shop instead saying that the body shop people would know more about body damage than the mechanics at the dealership. This is starting to become a hassle. It looks like I’m going to have to put quite a bit of money now to fix this sound regardless of what I do.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Picked up my car. They told me it’s not the wheel that’s causing it since they swapped it with the rear and it’s still there. They also did some test with the transmission suggested by TechLine and it came out okay. They insist that front fender and door has been repainted, but doesn’t matter to me. They’re not going to go deeper unless I pay their diagnostic fee, which is going to be expensive since they estimate 5 hours to take apart my car. Suggest me to just take it to a body shop instead saying that the body shop people would know more about body damage than the mechanics at the dealership. This is starting to become a hassle. It looks like I’m going to have to put quite a bit of money now to fix this sound regardless of what I do.
It makes sense that it is not the wheel, since a bent wheel would presumably be worse at higher speed, not better.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Not sure what you have for options, but maybe try and different dealer????
Old 01-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I may be the drive shafts to the wheels on the AWD. There is a thread on this.

If you got this car right off the truck and it had panels replaced, it could have been damage that happened in transit. Very odd and suspicious.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Do you still fall within your States lemon law?
Old 01-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

I don’t think the lemon law applies here since the issue was never claimed that it had been repaired yet. I brought my car into another dealership, so hopefully they don’t give me the same thing.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

The dealership I brought it into also thinks that it’s the transmission. Only this time, they actually ordered the transmission instead of giving me crap that my car has been in an accident. I was also able to get credit toward a rental vehicle from enterprise. My service advisor said they would only cover for 2-3 days, which wouldn’t be enough since the transmission takes time to arrive, so Acura Client Relations followed up and helped me extend that rental duration. I was told by my service advisor that I would get an update by Wednesday.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same exact problem on my 2015 tlx v6

i bought a used 2015 tlx v6 with 45xxx. i rushed things & didn’t notice the transmission sounding weird & shifting hard & jerking 2-3rd. luckily she bought extended warranty. dropped it off at a local acura dealership, they did a software update which did absolutely nothing, so they approved me for a new transmission. took 3 weeks but i’m satisfied now. they gave it a nice wash before i picked it up. hope everything goes good with you!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

Got my transmission replacement completed today and the sound is gone. I do feel some harsh jerking when I accelerate and then quickly press on the brake at low speeds, but I'm assuming it will go away once I drive it a bit more. I would have thought that I wouldn't have to do anything else to my car for a while, except there were dents on the hood that definitely weren't there when I brought the car in. They want me to bring it in again when I'm free to send it to the body shop. Some great luck I have. All I want is a service where I don't have to deal with more things than what I came for.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Damn, sorry it's been a while from the last post but:

1. The dealership that gave you runarounds sold you a car with damages (and repaired)
2. The same dealership denied warranty work on the transmission because the car was damaged/repainted
3. They also put a dent on your hood while checking it out

WTF? I would raise hell with them.