No start/crank Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start/crank Help!

Hello everyone, newbie here.
My GF's 2015 TLX 2.4L has recently starting giving her issues. About a month ago it suddenly refused to start and only had a very rapid clicking sound. Autozone tested the battery and said it was good but only tested for voltage so when I brought my good tester it showed that the battery had a bad cell. Replaced it and all was well until last night. We left my house and went to one store before dinner. After leaving the store I drove it about 100 yards to the restaurant and we went in to eat. When we went to leave the car wouldnt start again. Just does a single click sound and nothing more. I took the battery to a different autozone (My tester is at work). They threw it on a load tester and it came back bad with the exception of saying it had 84% charge which is probably due to trying to crank with no start.
After that I began to think it was the starter, no local stores have it but I took it out and had it tested at Pepboys. They ran the test several times and the starter worked flawlessly.

I am stuck now, the only think I can think of is a start relay but the only one I can find info on is the one inside the big fuse box under the hood and its within a smaller box all soldered onto a motherboard type of thing. Has anyone had this happen and know a fix? I am about to get back under it and check to see if voltage comes through the starter wire when the ignition is hit but I cant think of anything else to do. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Cables? Could even be another bad battery. I always recommend trickle charging every new battery, whether it's in a newly delivered car, a new yet to be installed, or a newly installed replacement. Make and manufacturer of vehicle or battery doesn't seem to matter...every new battery I've encountered has been down 25-30% of rated A/Hs when delivered. (with the exception of batteries I get from a local battery shop that trickle charges every battery he sells before he will install or deliver it). Add severe heat or cold, or immediate city driving with all lights and accessories on and with multiple engine on/off starting cycles before it's fully charged and the issue could be as simple as another dead cell due to a never fully charged battery. Good Luck

Last edited by JonfromCB; 04-08-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
This will sound like a stretch, but the only time I've had trouble starting the car is when the battery in the fob was low. It was not making a connection to the car and it would not allow it to start. Try moving the fob closer to the ignition. Do you know when they key fob batteries were changed?

I have a battery conditioner / charger. CTEK. I don't use it often but I don't drive a long distance to work so once in a while I throw it on the charger.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
clicking means the car is trying to start, not enough juice to get it spinning. You may have a bad alternator or a electrical component killing your battery. Are you using an AGM battery or lead acid?
Old 05-20-2019, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

Hey all,

First post for me as well. I'm up to my third Acura, this time a brand new TLX '19, got a 2.4 FWD base version since it was enough for me.

After only 500km on the car and only my first gas fill-up I am having the same issue that has been mentioned in a few threads here:
Car started not being able to start. At first it was taking a few tries to get it to start 2-3. Now it would not start at all. All lights up on the dash and rapid clicking noise from all the relays in the dash.
I boosted it and it started.
If I drive around enough to get the battery charged up and then wait longer than 30-60 minutes, the battery doesn't hold the charge and I'm back at square on. WTH!

I can't believe the battery would drain after only 500km with a brand new car. Quite an embarrassing experience. What's going on Acura? I was so happy with all previous models and legendary reliability.

Bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow, but I am really thinking this is more than just a battery issue, something must be draining it. As I can't believe I already have a dead charging system or that the battery would already be bad.

If any of you saw this becoming a trend, I'd appreciate the heads up so I can lead a proper discussion at the dealer.

Cheers!
Old 05-21-2019, 01:07 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Your car and battery is under warranty. Have your dealer investigate the power drain and replace the battery.

I have a 2015 TLC and last year the battery died. Resulting is clicking sounds when starting and all sorts of warning lights. Had the battery jump started and drove to dealer. They checked electrical system and replaced my battery under warranty. No electrical/starting issues since.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 PM
2nd Gear

Went to the dealer, they did the battery test and it failed so they replaced the battery. Hope this was it.
Still kind of annoying that a battery would be dead on delivery but I guess nothing is ever perfect.

Thanks @CybrRdr good to know that you haven't had issues since.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear

Did you ever get this solved. I have the same problem.