Interesting Intermittent Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Interesting Intermittent Electronic Issues

I posted this on vtec.net but I'll "cast a wider net" here.

2015 TLX 2.4 Tech, Sept. 2014 build. Several intermittent electronics issues that never occur at the dealership:

1. On occasion, when I get in, the seat reverts to Position 1. This can get awkward since my wife is short an I almost get crushed. The nav reverts to flat, north up, instead of 3D. And the XM radio settings go to her settings.

2. If the above doesn't occur, the seat does not come forward to the drive position when I start the car every now and then. I have to press Position 2 to bring it forward.

3. Sometimes the proximity sensor doesn't recognize me when I try to unlock the car. I have to dig deep in my pocket to find the remote and open it the old fashioned way.

The only other item of interest: My wife walks by my car to get to the driver's side of her RDX. She carries both fobs, as do I.

The dealer's solution? Lock the car in the garage. What? In the garage?

OK, dumb dealer. And I get "Problem not found. Have a nice day." feedback on the work order when they try and find the problem.

Question to the experts: How does one adequately get this documented by the dealer and Acura? 8 - 10 words written up by the service rep ain't enough of an audit trail. This won't be my problem in 21 months when the lease is up but these symptoms seem to be happening more frequently.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Only the key that "unlocks" the door activates the seat position, radio, climate, etc. Discussed here before. I lock mine in the garage so the settings are right for whoever drives next.

I do think the range on the door sensor is more limited than a Lexus I have, so sometimes I do have to get closer to the door to get it to recognize I have a key. Battery strength in the remote can also be an issue if that does not work. Your car is over a year old.
The following users liked this post:
CanTex (01-22-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Weird issues. Try NOT carrying both fobs at the same time. Maybe the RDX fob is somehow interfering. Try that for a few weeks see if it helps. But other than that you are clearly having electrical issues your dealer should look deeper into than saying some BS answer
CanTex (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I think someone else posted about similar issues a while back. When you set the settings for Driver 1, make sure you have the driver 1 key fob with you and that the driver 2 key fob is not around. When you set the settings for Driver 2, have the driver 2 fob and make sure the driver 1 key fob is not around. If you are Driver 1, when you drive the car make sure you have the driver 1 fob and and that the driver 2 fob isnt around. The car should recognize the key fob and automatically place your seat and mirrors at the correct spot.

As for the proximity sensor to open the doors, sometimes there can be interference. This can occur if you have a cell phone in the same pocket as your keys. This has happened to me a number of times. Whenever I remove my cell phone from my pocket, it then works fine.

Also, as others have mentioned, I wouldn't have key fobs for any other Acura cars around when I am trying to use the key fob for the TLX.

Hope this helps
CanTex (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by h_dawg
I think someone else posted about similar issues a while back. When you set the settings for Driver 1, make sure you have the driver 1 key fob with you and that the driver 2 key fob is not around. When you set the settings for Driver 2, have the driver 2 fob and make sure the driver 1 key fob is not around. If you are Driver 1, when you drive the car make sure you have the driver 1 fob and and that the driver 2 fob isnt around. The car should recognize the key fob and automatically place your seat and mirrors at the correct spot.

As for the proximity sensor to open the doors, sometimes there can be interference. This can occur if you have a cell phone in the same pocket as your keys. This has happened to me a number of times. Whenever I remove my cell phone from my pocket, it then works fine.

Also, as others have mentioned, I wouldn't have key fobs for any other Acura cars around when I am trying to use the key fob for the TLX.

Hope this helps
Cellphone in the same pocket! You're right! We both keep both fobs in our pocket, purse. In my case, left pocket / right pocket. We are spoiled - when we open the door to the garage it's Eeny Meeny Miny Mo, Which Car Is Going To Go. Guess we'll have to plan in advance and leave one fob in the house. Meanwhile, the TLX is locked in the garage, the '13 RDX isn't locked.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you wash your car? This may sound strange at first but I have the same issue for the unlocking sensor when my car is dirty of couple days or weeks. Try this wash your door handles, the sensor parts, see if you still got issues
CanTex (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by maxld470
Do you wash your car? This may sound strange at first but I have the same issue for the unlocking sensor when my car is dirty of couple days or weeks. Try this wash your door handles, the sensor parts, see if you still got issues
Wow! That's a new one. Here in Texas the car never gets particularly dirty. It gets washed every month in a car wash "just because". After a rain storm I may have to take a swipe on the rear camera to restore focus but that's about it. The lane departure and blind-spot warning systems work just fine. I'll try and see if there's some sort of relationship there between clean and dirty regarding door sensors.