First and only issue so far: ACC OFF

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
First and only issue so far: ACC OFF

So I've finally encountered an issue with my TLX. It's happened 2 times now, both times in the early morning. When I was on my drive to work, I tried to engage the adaptive cruise control (ACC). The car beeped, and said "ACC OFF" in the MID. Attempts to engage it resulted in the same error. Swapping modes to regular cruise control worked fine.

The first time it happened, it magically worked again after like 5 minutes of being on regular cruise control. The second time (this morning) it required me turning off the car and turning it back on, and it worked again.

Not a big issue, and over 9 months I've only seen it twice total. Anyone have any idea what happened?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Sometimes if you brake and try to turn it on immediatly after it wont work, need to wait 5 seconds. Also if you are under 25 mph you have to I believe press resume and not set, that may have been the problem if it was less than 25 mph.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:02 AM

I was definitely going fast enough (and I have low speed follow, so 'set' works at low speeds also). It's probably because I tried to brake while setting it by mistake and then for some reason bugged it out. It wouldn't reactivate after any amount of time the second time (yesterday morning) until I restarted the car. I guess I'll have to be conscious of when I'm trying to set it. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
At least one or two other people have had this happen before in other threads here, but I can't remember if there was a resolution (if there was one).
Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
I had this problem when I was driving through the mountains on a very hot day. I thought it was the hot weather that prevented the ACC from working.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by edmua6
I had this problem when I was driving through the mountains on a very hot day. I thought it was the hot weather that prevented the ACC from working.
It can, although for me it was only 14°C outside. Hardly hot. I think it was me touching the brakes while setting it and the computer got confused.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:47 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi have you fixed the problem? im getting same issue on RDX
Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Anyone else with Advance observe this? It's starting to happen regularly for me - about once every two weeks or so. It's always the morning commute, on the same stretch of road, about the same distance (4 miles) from the house and the same time (7 minutes) since the car was started. ACC cuts out and "ACC OFF" pops up on the MID. If I hit resume or set, the car beeps and "ACC OFF" displays. This goes on until the car is restarted whether <1 min or >20 min later. This is the only thing that makes ACC work again for me. This solution is obviously impossible to do when already cruising on the expressway and requires pulling over at the next exit/on ramp. Fortunately, manual CC mode does still work and can be accessed by holding the follow distance button (for those who don't know). Hitting cancel or main to completely reset the driver assistance system (MAIN button) do not work.

I told my dealer, who said there are no codes thrown and everything appears to be working normally. I know it's a first world problem, but it's really annoying when it does happen because I love ACC and hate traffic. It seems to happen if it's cold or warm outside, light or dark, foggy or clear. No rhyme or reason and totally randomly. If it were something consistent, it should happen predictably. I doubt there is a fix. If it were condensation build up or frost on the lens, I wouldn't expect it to work after restarting the car. It's a flat, straight road where it typically happens, but maybe I just avoid using ACC around there?

Last edited by someguy11; 01-16-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
Anyone else with Advance observe this? It's starting to happen regularly for me - about once every two weeks or so. It's always the morning commute, on the same stretch of road, about the same distance (4 miles) from the house and the same time (7 minutes) since the car was started. ACC cuts out and "ACC OFF" pops up on the MID. If I hit resume or set, the car beeps and "ACC OFF" displays. This goes on until the car is restarted whether <1 min or >20 min later. This is the only thing that makes ACC work again for me. This solution is obviously impossible to do when already cruising on the expressway and requires pulling over at the next exit/on ramp. Fortunately, manual CC mode does still work and can be accessed by holding the follow distance button (for those who don't know). Hitting cancel or main to completely reset the driver assistance system (MAIN button) do not work.

I told my dealer, who said there are no codes thrown and everything appears to be working normally. I know it's a first world problem, but it's really annoying when it does happen because I love ACC and hate traffic. It seems to happen if it's cold or warm outside, light or dark, foggy or clear. No rhyme or reason and totally randomly. If it were something consistent, it should happen predictably. I doubt there is a fix. If it were condensation build up or frost on the lens, I wouldn't expect it to work after restarting the car. It's a flat, straight road where it typically happens, but maybe I just avoid using ACC around there?
I had the same problem. Dealership diagnosed battery undervolt. Replaced the battery about 6 months ago and it has not happened again.
The following users liked this post:
someguy11 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 06:59 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Thanks rgpolson!! I had not seen any source/cause or resolution anywhere on this issue! Tremendously appreciative. I think you're right on the money, because I also recently (last week) had the auto idle stop restart failure and stall. The consensus on this forum is that the root cause of that issue is the glass battery starting to go, which we SH-AWD drivers have. My dealer tested it per the Acura bulletin out but said it passed. It's almost four years old and lived through four Wisconsin summers/winters, so I think I'm going to replace it proactively rather than push/hope for a warranty replacement. You comment convinced me that it's probably the right time or will be soon do so. Considering the start/stop and parasitic loads, I'm thinking an Optima yellowtop would be worth the money. Anyone with replacement battery experience?