Drivers Touch Sensitive Door Handle/Lock Button

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Drivers Touch Sensitive Door Handle/Lock Button

Okay, just wanted to determine if anyone else has experienced this or not.

Some days, when I go to get into the car and grab the handle it doesn't open automatically. More often than not, it if I "re-grab" the handle it'll unlock the car, but on a few occasions I've actually had to reach into my pocket and unlock it with the fob.

I've also noticed that sporadically, the exterior lock button will at times refuse to lock the car. I'll press it and nothing happens. I've ended up once again resorting to using the fob to lock the car.

Am I missing something here? Not doing something correctly?
The following users liked this post:
JoJoLov3 (01-12-2015)
Old 10-05-2014, 07:28 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Odd for a new car. The 4G TL suffers from the same issue after 4-5 years on the road. Probably not the same remedy as I usually fix this on my 4G TL, but you may want to use some compressed air around the handle. Maybe water from washing the car has caused a short somewhere around the handle. However, if that is software related (i.e. the computer thinks its unlocked, or for some other reason in its logic thinks it can't or should not unlock) then a re-set by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery may fix it. Other thought I had is if you select "default settings" from the screens in the car for locks, windows, etc.

But, all other things being equal, since the car is fresh under warranty... take it to the dealer and tell them all about it.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine has behaved like that occasionally too medx. Not often enough to actually bother me. Just sometimes have to give it a second pull. And I too have had to use the fob probably three times where the handle didn't want to respond. It is extremely rare though. Now my automatic wiper problems that I've reported elsewhere on the forum, that I am going to have to get fixed.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Okay, thanks guys. Glad it's not just me. Oddly, I experienced this on my 2013 Accord Touring too, hehe. I wonder if it's just the nature of the beast. I'm going to start tracking it a bit, I think. I know I've had it happen a couple of times thus far.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
The other thing I was thinking about, and it is a bit extreme, is if you guys live next to or close by very large power generators, radio antennas etc? Just a thought. Can you trace this issue to the location you park the car?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive noticed this exact thing and I had my phone in the same pocket as my keys. When I moved it to another pocket problem went away. Maybe the Bluetooth or something causing interference?
MedX172 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
The manual says that radio interference from cell phones, laptops, other sources, etc. can interfere with the operation. It also says the door may not open if you pull immediately after gripping the handle. You have to give it time to unlock first.

That being said, I've had the door pull not open the door once or twice... but a subsequent pull opened the door.
MedX172 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
The manual says that radio interference from cell phones, laptops, other sources, etc. can interfere with the operation. It also says the door may not open if you pull immediately after gripping the handle. You have to give it time to unlock first.

That being said, I've had the door pull not open the door once or twice... but a subsequent pull opened the door.

Thanks, Rocketsfan. I seem to be one of those people who randomly put my key/phone in the same or different pocket. It happened today too, but I hadn't read this. I'm going to try to make a concerted effort to make sure they're in opposite pant pockets.

It definitely doesn't seem to be location specific. I've had it happen at home, at work, and other random areas. If the pocket separation doesn't work, I might just schedule it for a service diagnostic.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Also try access with the phone turned off. I am betting that this will work 100% of the time. You will have to determine how much inconvenience and separation of keys and phones is acceptable.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I wonder if anyone has had any problem with their HOMELINK range....the RDX and ILX has had a poor/weak signal and was curious if teh TLX has the same problem. I know my TL worked so well and from incredibly far.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I wonder if anyone has had any problem with their HOMELINK range....the RDX and ILX has had a poor/weak signal and was curious if teh TLX has the same problem. I know my TL worked so well and from incredibly far.
I recall when I first bought my house, my '04 TL's homelink would open the door from a bit of a distance. Later on its life, I almost had to be in the driveway itself to open the dang door. lol. On my TLX, I usually wait until I'm about within 10-20 feet of my driveway entrance... so proabably about 20-30 feet away before I hit the Homelink button to open the garage and it works. But that's not really far, so if I remember, I'll try hitting it from a bit further tomorrow.
weather (10-10-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
I have noticed that my TLX is more sensitive for ME to be properly positioned before touching the door handle than my previous Acura TL's. I've always kept the fob in my left pocket for all my cars, and found that with the TLX- if I approach the driver's door from the hood side, the door ALWAYS opens first try. But if I approach from the trunk (rear) way, it is not as reliable. I have to "position" my body directly in front of the driver door to get 100% success. It just seems that Acura has reduced the "perception area".

Also, I definitely notice that the homelink range is significantly less with the TLX than all of my previous TL's. With my old cars, I could open my garage door literally a block away! With the new TLX, I have to be in my driveway before the door will respond.

Luckily I now have the forward collision warning system so I get the BRAKE message before driving into my garage door!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
I haven't had any issues with unlocking and opening the door, except the one time I left the key in the house.

I could never get homelink to work. I still use my garage door opener. I will have to try homelink again on the TLX.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:21 AM
Instructor

Just an update on this quirk. Remembering to keep the fob in the opposite pocket of my cellphone appears to have worked. I haven't had the issue since then. Thanks, for the suggestions, folks.
Rocketsfan (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah I didn't notice this until I read the thread.

I keep my phone in left, keys in right but randomly my fob seemed to not lock/unlock the doors with the handle or button on the handle.

After reading this I had it happen again, and realized that when its raining I put my tablet in my pocket. The right pocket.

Since my tablet doesn't have cellular access, I would say its either the WiFi part or just the active electronics right on top of the fob that's killing the signal.
Rocketsfan (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
This happened to me today for the first time. I usually don't put my phone in my pocket. I am on-call this week and I put the work phone next to my fob. Sure enough, I could not get in and then I remembered this thread. Thanks.
Rocketsfan (10-19-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by MedX172

Some days, when I go to get into the car and grab the handle it doesn't open automatically. More often than not, it if I "re-grab" the handle it'll unlock the car, but on a few occasions I've actually had to reach into my pocket and unlock it with the fob.

I've also noticed that sporadically, the exterior lock button will at times refuse to lock the car. I'll press it and nothing happens. I've ended up once again resorting to using the fob to lock the car.

Interesting. If i just grab the handle mine will not unlock. However when I just touch the handle it unlocks, and I assumed that this is the way it's supposed to work.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have this issue happening occasionally but not that often. Even with my cellphones in my laptop bag. Maybe it has something to do with temp condition? I don't know...
Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine does this when it's extremely cold outside (10 degrees or less). Although I don't have my cell phone in my pocket when it occurs, you guys got me wondering because every time this has happened my cell phone was in the car. I'll have to do some experiments to see if my phone is a cause.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Twice in past week could not get car to lock with handle push button. Once in my garage where it's parked daily and once at an outdoor parking lot. Refused to lock both times and had to use fob.

Just adding this issue to the list which keeps growing. Yea I know it's a minor inconvenience when not expecting it, but another part of $40K item not working as designed and engineered.
tlxsteve (01-15-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Davinci547Acura
Twice in past week could not get car to lock with handle push button. Once in my garage where it's parked daily and once at an outdoor parking lot. Refused to lock both times and had to use fob.

Just adding this issue to the list which keeps growing. Yea I know it's a minor inconvenience when not expecting it, but another part of $40K item not working as designed and engineered.
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Mine does this when it's extremely cold outside (10 degrees or less). Although I don't have my cell phone in my pocket when it occurs, you guys got me wondering because every time this has happened my cell phone was in the car. I'll have to do some experiments to see if my phone is a cause.
Originally Posted by jhendra83
I still have this issue happening occasionally but not that often. Even with my cellphones in my laptop bag. Maybe it has something to do with temp condition? I don't know...
I've noticed mine only does it when my phone in my pocket or near the handle. I don't really have a way to experiment. I'm not about that "leave your phone at home" life!

It could also be possible that the range is just shorter than we expected, which would suck. Safety measure? Meh.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by crownr0yal
I've noticed mine only does it when my phone in my pocket or near the handle. I don't really have a way to experiment. I'm not about that "leave your phone at home" life!

It could also be possible that the range is just shorter than we expected, which would suck. Safety measure? Meh.

In my case, cell phone interference could not be the issue because it was over 100 feet from car both times. First scenario in garage, didn't have cell phone on me and second scenario, someone else had my cell phone and was already out of range of the car.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is something different in the sensing operation in the TLX. I know about the cell phone in the pocket deal but on my wife's (and all my previous Acura's) RDX it doesn't matter what pocket the fob or iPhone is in, it always works.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:09 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've noticed the same problem 3 times within the first week of owning the car. Bummer.

The irony is that I'm caring my keys, phone, wallet and other fobs in the same bag I always do, but this never happened to me with my old TL.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add another to the list...

Having the same issue and it's pretty random. Never had this issue with my 2014 TL but having it with the 2015 TLX!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Have had the same thing happen on several occasions.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Trying to identify a common cause. It definitely happens when the key fob is in my pocket next to my iPhone but yesterday I had the fob in my hand and I had to use the fog as you did. Today the door button and handle worked perfectly. Go figure
Old 02-13-2015, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine will unlock if it put my hand around the door handle, even without actually touching the door handle itself. I keep my key fob in my pocket, and the few times that it has not worked I have moved closer to the door and then that usually does the trick. I think it has something to do with the proximity of the key fob to the car also