constant Recirc mode is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
constant Recirc mode is normal?

When I operate the climate control in 'AUTO', the air conditioning (compressor) will be turned on and the recirc mode is selected.

I have found the system never turns recirc off switching to fresh air mode. I have driven the car for hours and fresh air mode never is selected. In my previous Acura (and other cars), recirc was activated for short periods of time before going to fresh air.

My service advisor seems to think this operation is normal.

I called the Acura client line and they suggested checking with another dealer. I did check with another dealer and they seems to think this is normal. They promised to check with the tech line but I have heard no response.

Is constant recirc in AUTO mode normal?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by darowa
When I operate the climate control in 'AUTO', the air conditioning (compressor) will be turned on and the recirc mode is selected.

I have found the system never turns recirc off switching to fresh air mode. I have driven the car for hours and fresh air mode never is selected. In my previous Acura (and other cars), recirc was activated for short periods of time before going to fresh air.

My service advisor seems to think this operation is normal.

I called the Acura client line and they suggested checking with another dealer. I did check with another dealer and they seems to think this is normal. They promised to check with the tech line but I have heard no response.

Is constant recirc in AUTO mode normal?
If you are in ECO mode, it probably will always choose recirc. In other modes (I use Sport), I've seen it switch to fresh while in Auto, but it does stay in recirc a lot when it's warm outside. I can't confirm this, but any chance you were in recirc manually at some point, and the driver 1/2 linked settings saved that as your shortcut? In general, the past couple years (I had a 2012 Honda and still have a 2013 Lexus) they all seem to stay in recirc a lot. On the Lexus it still mixes 20% fresh unless you select the charcoal filter setting which runs for 3 minutes on 100% recirc. I would expect the Acura is also still mixing in some fresh air on recirc.
The following users liked this post:
darowa (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Like jim256, mine stays in recirc almost all the time when it's warm out. However, I've noticed it in fresh also, probably in cooler weather (I honestly haven't paid much attention). This is in Auto with Sport mode. I'll bet yours is normal.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
There was saved climate setting for driver 1. I don't remember the settings when it was saved. The air icon indicated recirc with an "A" (automatic?) inside the icon. I deleted this saved setting for driver 1 and the system began running the air conditioner with fresh air in AUTO mode. Later, I started the car and it went into recirc mode for awhile then switching to fresh air while running the air conditioner...this seems to be more normal operation. The outside temperatures are cool (60's) so recirc is probably not needed. In much hotter temperatures, recirc would normally come on to cool down the cabin.

I think jim256's suggestion to check the saved setting fixed the problem.

Last edited by darowa; 05-19-2015 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jim256 (05-20-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Mine always stays in recirc mode without any saved profile. Then again, I do live in South Florida.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Mine tends to stay in fresh air mode a lot in Auto Mode. In traffic I tend to use a preset for recirculate.

One thing I've noticed though, is that even when it's seemingly obvious that the A/C is ON, if I manually press the AC button on the panel it always displays "OFF". I'm not sure if that's because it's in AUTO mode and not manually being turned ON or what.

Seems like when you press A/C it and the box opens it should display "ON" if the Auto Mode has it engaged but I'm not certain?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MedX172
One thing I've noticed though, is that even when it's seemingly obvious that the A/C is ON, if I manually press the AC button on the panel it always displays "OFF". I'm not sure if that's because it's in AUTO mode and not manually being turned ON or what.
Are you sure it shows OFF, rather than showing both on and off dimmed, and when you press OFF it brightens? That's how mine displays. When the compressor is enabled, the green light is lit on the Auto button, goes off when I press OFF on the touch screen.