Canadian 9AT TCM/PCM Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Canadian 9AT TCM/PCM Update

Today I received an update for the TCM/PCM module(s). I'm not sure if they're separate modules because the service advisor told me that the software update also included a PCM update.

Unfortunately, I don't have an update number or anything for you guys. They just said they asked Acura if they had anything similar to the USA TSB B16-012 because my car was showing the same behaviour as described in that bulletin (surge ahead when downshifting, reluctance to downshift sometimes). It turns out that they do, except they just call it 'software update' and there's no TSB to reference. I also could not get a version number.
The work order says,
"1 PERFORMED SOFTWARE UPDATES AND IDLE RELEARN"

The service advisor told me that it was an update that applied to the MDX as well and Acura OK'd them to use it on my car. I don't know how much of that is true or not, but I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Now for the good part, here's what I noticed:
  • Upshifts are VERY fast now, much much quicker than before. The transmission just snaps off upshifts like they're nothing, only marginally slower than a DCT.
  • Downshift delay is reduced on the major kickdowns going from 9th to 4th by about half a second (so it's closer to 1.5 seconds now instead of 2 seconds). It no longer does the double downshift, it just goes straight from 9th to 4th.
  • Regular downshifts (ie: downshifting by 1 gear) happen faster as well, about as quick as the new upshifts.
  • The transmission isn't as reluctant to downshift in either Sport or Normal (Econ still makes me want to off myself, fuck I hate Econ with a passion). Normal is actually acceptable for everyday driving now. I still keep in permanently in Sport because I like it better. Sport mode is substantially better now.
  • The amount the car freewheels on a manually selected downshift is GREATLY reduced. It used to freewheel/surge ahead for about 2 seconds following a manually commanded downshift with the paddles, almost like it was overdoing the rev-match. Now it's more like 0.5 seconds. It's a lot easier to engine brake now.
  • Sport+, OMG it's actually useable around town in full auto mode. Before I had to use the paddles for Sport+ only, but now the auto mode isn't obnoxious anymore. The rev-matched downshifts are a LOT smoother as you're slowing down with the brakes and no longer feel artificial. The 3-2 downshift as you approach a red light is also a lot more natural. It no longer does a crazy aggressive rev match, just what's necessary. It also doesn't hold onto gears as long if you're driving less aggressively, which is a good thing. As soon as you start driving aggressively it'll hold gears longer.
  • Speaking of Sport+, paddle shift response is GREATLY improved. It was a noticeable difference. It wasn't really slow before, but it wasn't fast either. Now it's fast with the exception of 5th and 8th. You tap the paddle, the shift happens within about 1/3 to 1/2 a second at the most depending which gear. I've noticed gears 1 through 4 are really really fast to control with the paddles.

Oh, and I should mention the shifts are incredibly smooth. They were smooth before the update as well, so it didn't make any aspect of anything worse. It's only a solid all around quality of life improvement.

Overall I'm very impressed. The 2016 transmission was already good before, but now it's even better. The 9 to 4 kickdown is still longer than I'd like, and I'd prefer a shorter gas pedal travel in Sport mode before things happened (more like in Sport+), but it's pretty damn good. Hopefully this helps out other Canadian members.
The following 2 users liked this post by youngTL:
accord1999 (04-19-2016), weather (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
^That is good to hear. Which dealership did you go to?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
youngTL...Thanks for a well written post and very useful info for other Canadians! Delighted to see your TLX is that much more improved
Old 04-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad to hear that your transmission behaviour has improved... do you have a 2015 or 2016?

I had my car serviced today and I asked the dealer if there was any update available - they told that my transmission software was up to date (last updated in October) and they did a full system reset using the same software version... no improvement.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by chris_cave
Glad to hear that your transmission behaviour has improved... do you have a 2015 or 2016?

I had my car serviced today and I asked the dealer if there was any update available - they told that my transmission software was up to date (last updated in October) and they did a full system reset using the same software version... no improvement.

Their system will NOT show an update available. You have to describe what it's doing, and get them to call Acura. Took the dealer a few days to get a response and call me back to set up an appointment.

I had to go on a test drive with the service advisor to illustrate what was going on (mostly the surge on downshift and the long delay when flooring it). They have to agree that that's what your car is doing.

Originally Posted by edmua6
^That is good to hear. Which dealership did you go to?
The good one, lol. FYI I don't think mentioning that other customers got it is the right way forward. You have to show them your car in particular is showing those particular characteristics.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:40 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
^ I did not say I will use you as a reference for the update. I just wanted to know. I do not even know if I want an update on my car. I like it the way it is.

Also, I have bought vehicles on both dealership so I do not have a preference. I do my own maintenance so I do not visit the dealer that much.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by edmua6
^ I did not say I will use you as a reference for the update. I just wanted to know. I do not even know if I want an update on my car. I like it the way it is.

Also, I have bought vehicles on both dealership so I do not have a preference. I do my own maintenance so I do not visit the dealer that much.
I live on the south side of town and I got treated pretty poorly by the dealer closest to my house on two major occasions (once while trying to buy, once for service). That's why I'm willing to drive across town.

If you're not a spirited driver, the update won't be all that noticeable to you. I noticed immediately. My car was fine before, but not really that much fun. Now it's fun.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have an update number or anything for you guys. They just said they asked Acura if they had anything similar to the USA TSB B16-012 because my car was showing the same behaviour as described in that bulletin (surge ahead when downshifting, reluctance to downshift sometimes).
Exactly my case. Thank you so much. I wish that I could annoy my dealer with some reference number.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:00 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Like always for us , Canadian owners , we are ignored by Acura . No TSB for Canadian models. We have to beg the dealer to check if they can install the US TSBs , when it should be same for everybody . I don't think they are mechanically differences between US and Canadian models.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Momyc
Like always for us , Canadian owners , we are ignored by Acura . No TSB for Canadian models. We have to beg the dealer to check if they can install the US TSBs , when it should be same for everybody . I don't think they are mechanically differences between US and Canadian models.
There actually are some minor differences. Just not in the transmission hardware.

It's not that we're ignored by Acura, it's that Acura Canada isn't getting the same information that Acura USA is getting. They simply don't talk to each other and have no idea WTF is going on (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing). It seems silly but unfortunately EVERY manufacturer is like this.

They have procedure and red tape to wade through. For example, they can't simply install a software update willy nilly to something that affects the climate control, because the Canadian models have a heated steering wheel and heated windshield elements (do US ones have those too?) that come on when it's cold and you use the remote start.

Once you understand that it's not out of malice that you can't get the update, it makes it easier to deal with them. I've been nothing but polite, courteous, extremely friendly, and I ask questions while being persistent. Those things have gotten me really far. I'm not suggesting that you weren't, but I'm reminding everyone the best way to deal with any kind of customer-facing business is to be friendly and persistent. It's very hard to be angry with a customer when they're nice and understanding.

Last edited by youngTL; 05-10-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
.. (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing).
I am quite happy to say that I don't have that problem