Acuralink not working/experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Acuralink not working/experience

I signed up for AcuraLink's 90 day trial and it's pretty disappointing so far. Not only does it take forever to connect to the service, it also takes minutes (!) to connect to an agent. I say minutes because I've tried to connect to an agent on numerous occasions and it hasn't once connected me, after 3-4mins of waiting. At that point, what's the use? Lexus has a similar product and it's much better.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Is that the OnStar type service?
Old 09-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes. They supposedly can help you book reservations, flights, get flight info. It's a concierge service.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Acuralink a lot. I have nothing else to compare it though. I used the concierge a few times already and they were extremely helpful and even intuitive. I was speaking with a live concierge agent within I'd say just over a minute. I'm in Canada though so maybe it's a little different.

The Acuralink Connect app though, that's a different story. That thing is an abortion!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting

Originally Posted by pdpgps
I signed up for AcuraLink's 90 day trial and it's pretty disappointing so far. Not only does it take forever to connect to the service, it also takes minutes (!) to connect to an agent. I say minutes because I've tried to connect to an agent on numerous occasions and it hasn't once connected me, after 3-4mins of waiting. At that point, what's the use? Lexus has a similar product and it's much better.
I've had mixed results; one time it connected quickly and it recognized my voice commands readily. The next time it took several minutes to connect and I could not get it to respond to my voice at all. I don't think I'll pay for the service when it comes time
Old 10-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Thanks for all the good feedback. I don't really need a concierge service. I do like it for possible emergencies and lockouts, but I have a cell phone.

Are there any advantages I am missing?
Old 10-19-2014, 03:36 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Thanks for all the good feedback. I don't really need a concierge service. I do like it for possible emergencies and lockouts, but I have a cell phone.

Are there any advantages I am missing?

Steve, some of the aspects of AcuraLink that I really like: There are 3 levels of service available for sale that have varying prices depending on how many years for which you sign up. The Tier 2 service provides a Stolen Vehicle Locator, mobile alerts if someone tampers with your vehicle and automatic collision notification in the event of an accident. I recently saw a Bay Area news article where a woman whose car went off a cliff on California's highway 1 was found in part due to the OnStar notifications.

AcuraLink does come with a mobile application that lets you check vehicle status. It seems to take on average about 45 seconds to connect to the TLX and it displays if your doors are locked, fuel %, lights on/off and lets you do some basic things like lock the doors, beep the horn, etc.

Last edited by MedX172; 10-19-2014 at 03:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tlxsteve (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 03:41 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by pdpgps
I have never had any issue with AcuraLink, however I had major problems trying to get my Lexus Connect set up last month for my IS350. Everything went through fine and I was connected with an agent within a minute, but when the time came to disconnect the call it didnt properly disconnect. I was unable to turn the radio on even after turning the car off and back on, and was unable to call back in because the system thought I was still connected! I ended up on my cell phone with a Lexus Connect advisor for about 2 hours with them trying to figure out the issue. Once they finally got everything resolved I decided that I won't be pressing that SOS button again!

My only complaint with AcuraLink is the app, yes its great to be able to lock and unlock the car from my Iphone, but it does take forever to load! Aside from that though my experience has been better with Acura than Lexus.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

AcuraLink Dashboard

Vehicle Status Information
The following 2 users liked this post by MedX172:
NJToyMan (10-20-2014), tlxsteve (10-19-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
You can also access the car status from a web browser when you sign on to Acura Advance and go to the AcuraLink tab. There is also a Map tab where you can search for address and download them to the car. The only drawback is that they are stored in your Previous Destination with a blank entry and do not show the actual street and number until they are selected as a destination.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MedX172
Steve, some of the aspects of AcuraLink that I really like: There are 3 levels of service available for sale that have varying prices depending on how many years for which you sign up. The Tier 2 service provides a Stolen Vehicle Locator, mobile alerts if someone tampers with your vehicle and automatic collision notification in the event of an accident. I recently saw a Bay Area news article where a woman whose car went off a cliff on California's highway 1 was found in part due to the OnStar notifications.

AcuraLink does come with a mobile application that lets you check vehicle status. It seems to take on average about 45 seconds to connect to the TLX and it displays if your doors are locked, fuel %, lights on/off and lets you do some basic things like lock the doors, beep the horn, etc.
Thanks!

Tier 2 could be handy. For some reason I thought I had the automatic collision notification. Now I know I don't. I think I have tier 3 which is free for 3 years, but tier 2 may be worth it. I remember there was a 90-day trial. Wonder if I can get what's left of the trial?

Thanks for explaining AcuraLink to me.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
How does Acuralink communicate? Is it via a built-in cellular service, or does it our phone's data plan?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXV6Guy
How does Acuralink communicate? Is it via a built-in cellular service, or does it our phone's data plan?
It has its own cellular transceiver so some of the services work using it. For example, you can lock your doors remotely when your cellular phone is not anywhere near the car. Some of the services do work through your phone like Pandora and Aha.
The following 2 users liked this post by smoore:
tlxsteve (10-20-2014), TSXV6Guy (10-21-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smoore
It has its own cellular transceiver so some of the services work using it. For example, you can lock your doors remotely when your cellular phone is not anywhere near the car. Some of the services do work through your phone like Pandora and Aha.
I thought they did it over satellite, but I am willing to update my information. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
I think it is unlikely via satellite as my XM radio cuts out as soon I enter my underground parking, but AcuraLink while my car is parked underground. This suggests that it is via a cellular network, and my phone was not connected.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quandry:
tlxsteve (10-20-2014), TSXV6Guy (10-21-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quandry
I think it is unlikely via satellite as my XM radio cuts out as soon I enter my underground parking, but AcuraLink while my car is parked underground. This suggests that it is via a cellular network, and my phone was not connected.
Cool. Thanks! I learned something new today. I can now go to sleep.