Acura will jeopardize their reputation if they don't fix 8 speed DCT issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
"we need moar geeerzz!!! everybody else has moar geerzz!! this is old tech! acura is behind the timez! acura has lost their way!"
I first mis-read this as "we need moar geezers!" That would be the RLX forum

But you are right... I got annoyed when reviewers and magazines criticized Acura for not having enough gears. They seem to think more gears equal more performance, but it really means better mpg but with a cost of more complications.

Six gears -- manual or automatic -- are enough. Heck, the Toyota Corolla still gets by with 4 gears... but I know, we don't want to go there.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:52 PM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Just curious what the dealership have said or done to respond to these concerns?
The following users liked this post:
jeremyw (01-12-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 08:03 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Still no tranny issues and I have done many -20c starts. I have to stop a few times in the first mile or so. Maybe I don't notice as I am too busy fiddling with the bizarre HVAC and heated seat interface... That's really my only issue.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by a77
Still no tranny issues and I have done many -20c starts. I have to stop a few times in the first mile or so. Maybe I don't notice as I am too busy fiddling with the bizarre HVAC and heated seat interface... That's really my only issue.
Good for you. The tranny issues on my TLX have not reoccurred in the past week. But the weather has been warm in the 40/50F.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ian Andrews
Just curious what the dealership have said or done to respond to these concerns?
First, I have figured out a way to duplicate the transmission symptom.
1) Leave your TLX overnight without driving so that the transmission fluid is cold.
2) Start driving your TLX slowly and manually Upshift to 3rd gear.
3) Brake to gradually approach a complete stop.

A sudden "lunging forward" will happen. I think the problem is caused by an "uncontrolled" downshift to 1st from 3rd and the torque converter cannot absorb the large shock from it. I used this method to demonstrate this problem to my Acura dealer in Oregon. They have heard plenty of complaints about the 8-speed DCT transmission and they have been reporting to Acura NA. As far as I know, Acura is still monitoring the situation without officially recognizing it as a problem or defect. There are no solutions to date.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeremyw:
internalaudit (01-16-2015), Warrior 6 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Instructor

For the people who still think Honda/Acura is better as a corporation compared to GM:

Honda to pay $70 million for failure to report deaths, injuries | Reuters
Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyw
For the people who still think Honda/Acura is better as a corporation compared to GM:

Who gets the 70 mill?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
US government.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:59 PM
Instructor

I just got my car back from my local Acura dealer in Oregon this morning and its service adviser fully agreed on the transmission problems during cold start. His technicians were able to duplicate the problems. I'd rather call it symptoms as they still cannot pinpoint what is the root cause. They have been slowly reporting the symptoms and patterns to Acura HQ. In the past two days, they have updated my TLX's software that controls transmission shifting to the latest edition. But at the same time, they also acknowledged that this update would not solve the problem completely (it may help however). Here is the good news: another software update for transmission from Acura is on the way and should arrive at dealerships in a month! My service adviser has told me to go back in a month.
internalaudit (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
I did a software update on my TLX today for the ECM/PCM/DCT (Newest version Jan. 5 2015)
(I work at a Honda dealer and did it myself). So far the transmission shifts way better, smoother no more lurching when coming to a stop. It responds much quicker with faster downshifts. I had another problem with mine I don't think others posted for the DCT when I put my foot to the floor it took too long to downshift or figure out the proper gear. I almost got t-boned because of this. Thank god its all fixed now. Hope it lasts. I did still get a little bit of the cold transmission firm shifts when I left work (-10C here in the GTA) but that is normal for any transmission until its warmed up. PS in case some don't know. This transmission and most Honda/Acura A/T's have a transmission warmer/cooler.
The following 6 users liked this post by Dutchy:
a35tl (01-16-2015), CheeseyPoofs McNut (01-17-2015), internalaudit (01-16-2015), jeremyw (01-16-2015), Stew4HD (01-16-2015), weather (01-16-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dutchy
I did a software update on my TLX today for the ECM/PCM/DCT (Newest version Jan. 5 2015)
(I work at a Honda dealer and did it myself). So far the transmission shifts way better, smoother no more lurching when coming to a stop. It responds much quicker with faster downshifts. I had another problem with mine I don't think others posted for the DCT when I put my foot to the floor it took too long to downshift or figure out the proper gear. I almost got t-boned because of this. Thank god its all fixed now. Hope it lasts. I did still get a little bit of the cold transmission firm shifts when I left work (-10C here in the GTA) but that is normal for any transmission until its warmed up. PS in case some don't know. This transmission and most Honda/Acura A/T's have a transmission warmer/cooler.
Thanks for this information...
Can you tell me if Canada is different than the US for Updates?
Reason I ask: My car was in the Dealer on the same date as this update: Jan 5 and the Tech called the tech line and said that it had the current software update applied... and did not apply a new one. Could it be that it came out later than the 5th but dated the 5th?
I also spoke with Client Relations and they told me that all updates had been applied and that was on the 15th.
Any insight into this since you have access to this information?
Thank you for your help!
Buzz
Dutchy (01-19-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Where do you find out about these updates? Seems like most the software updates EE4life posts about. I have applied both the Cross Traffic update, and the other navi/audio system update. Is the software for the transmission different? How do you check which version you have?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

You should get rid of your TLX. Obviously, you're biased against the brand now -- to you, they are the evil company who intentionally omit to report incidents.

In any case, sorry to hear about your stinky bad luck.
Stew4HD (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buzz1317
Thanks for this information...
Can you tell me if Canada is different than the US for Updates?
Reason I ask: My car was in the Dealer on the same date as this update: Jan 5 and the Tech called the tech line and said that it had the current software update applied... and did not apply a new one. Could it be that it came out later than the 5th but dated the 5th?
I also spoke with Client Relations and they told me that all updates had been applied and that was on the 15th.
Any insight into this since you have access to this information?
Thank you for your help!
Buzz

Not sure if Canada and US are different. It shouldn't be. When I hooked up the Diagnostic/Update tool. It first updated the calibration files to the tool dated Jan 5th. I checked all systems on my car and only ECM/PCM/DCT had an updated file to be applied. Now I did this on Jan.16th ask your dealer maybe in a week or so to check your car again. So far my DCT is behaving very nicely.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
Where do you find out about these updates? Seems like most the software updates EE4life posts about. I have applied both the Cross Traffic update, and the other navi/audio system update. Is the software for the transmission different? How do you check which version you have?

Just go back to your dealer and ask them to scan your car again for any updates specifically for the ECM/PCM/DCT. Not sure about the version number. There is no bulletin from Acura about this yet. Only for Nav and Cross Traffic updates.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Anyone who has this ECM/PCM update make sure your dealer performs the idle learning procedure afterwards.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:01 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Just go back to your dealer and ask them to scan your car again for any updates specifically for the ECM/PCM/DCT. Not sure about the version number. There is no bulletin from Acura about this yet. Only for Nav and Cross Traffic updates.
How long does it take to perform this update? Im sure the software that my ecu has is shipping software. I've never had any updates applied to that
Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dysonlu
You should get rid of your TLX. Obviously, you're biased against the brand now -- to you, they are the evil company who intentionally omit to report incidents.

In any case, sorry to hear about your stinky bad luck.
I only brought the news article to the attention of people on this forum. It was pretty clear that Honda/Acura intentionally (or conveniently) omit to report incidents. This reflects the level of ethical standards in the upper level management. I was specific to compare Honda to GM because someone (perhaps including yourself) mentioned how bad GM was as a corporation when it came to respond to defects/problems and how well Honda responds and addresses its customers. The fact disclosed by the article says otherwise.

If I could, I would have returned my TLX to the dealership for its transmission problems. But I would incur a pretty substantial loss of money and that would be unfair to me or any consumers. To be fair, I do enjoy how quiet and efficient this car runs. I would be happy without the transmission problem.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
How long does it take to perform this update? Im sure the software that my ecu has is shipping software. I've never had any updates applied to that

It should only take about 1/2 hour.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking about getting this car.
Have you experienced anything wrong after you did the update?

It should only take about 1/2 hour.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I too have the DCT quirky transmission, my question is the update that is out there the only one available or do you think Acura is working on a different update? I ask because the oil life on my car is still at 90% and I was going to wait till my first oil ca hangs to mention it to the service department.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by njekin
Hi, I'm thinking about getting this car.
Have you experienced anything wrong after you did the update?
Nothing wrong so far.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nebula
I too have the DCT quirky transmission, my question is the update that is out there the only one available or do you think Acura is working on a different update? I ask because the oil life on my car is still at 90% and I was going to wait till my first oil ca hangs to mention it to the service department.
They always have regular updates. It's up to you to wait or do it sooner if the transmission isn't functioning properly.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the service manager know about the update for the transmission because mine is jerky at low speed.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Praj Prasai
Does the service manager know about the update for the transmission because mine is jerky at low speed.
Yes. My service manager in Oregon knows about the update for the transmission problem. He told me specifically that another update (aiming to address the transmission problem) is on its way to arrive in one month.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nebula
I did not jump to conclusion immediately after the Jan update performed on my TLX and drove it for two weeks to see any real improvements. The update does help. However, it has not completely solved the problem. However, this was within my expectation as my service manager in Oregon told me this after they performed the update. I am still experiencing jerkiness and lunching forward right before a complete stop during the first 5 minutes of a cold start. But the symptoms are less harsh, I say 40% better.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I think I'll wait awhile and see if Acura does put out another update then make a decision.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:05 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had mine in dealership 4 times. It is still not fixed. They will tell you about software updates and transmission re learn procedures but they do NOT solve the problem. You will think it's better until one day you feel the jerky transmission, hesitation and lunging again. Production on the TLX has stopped in January and will resume in Febuary allegedly. I wonder why.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Source?? I guess if the production stops on Jan 31st and resumes Feb 1st, it ain't too bad *lol* - J/K.

I am wondering if the ILX will experience the same problem? Sort of like the reactive dampers problem from the ILX and RDX that aren't solve yet....Maybe Acura will just plunk the DCT in the ILX knowing full well that some TLX owners are still having issues.??

Just hope not....
Old 01-28-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Source?? I guess if the production stops on Jan 31st and resumes Feb 1st, it ain't too bad *lol* - J/K.

I am wondering if the ILX will experience the same problem? Sort of like the reactive dampers problem from the ILX and RDX that aren't solve yet....Maybe Acura will just plunk the DCT in the ILX knowing full well that some TLX owners are still having issues.??

Just hope not....
I'm guessing they will - clearly they rolled out the TLX knowing some issues exist. That's the nature of the auto business today - cars are so complicated that the manufacturers aren't willing to spend the money to work out all the bugs - they let us do it over the first couple years. Something to be said about buying the last year of a model before the refresh.

All that said - I still love my TLX - looks like my tranny quirks are much less severe than that of some others.

Say - you're not waiting for the 2016 ILX are you???
Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Haven't seen any TLX here in SoCal. Seen a few Q50 popping up here and there though.
Very surprised to see people picking up the Q50. I can't wait to get rid of my Q50.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Devonalexei
I've had mine in dealership 4 times. It is still not fixed. They will tell you about software updates and transmission re learn procedures but they do NOT solve the problem. You will think it's better until one day you feel the jerky transmission, hesitation and lunging again. Production on the TLX has stopped in January and will resume in Febuary allegedly. I wonder why.
I have found that all the DCT tranny problems "jerky transmission, hesitation and lunging" are highly related to outside temperature. I live in Oregon: recently the temperature has been above 50F during the day. I have not experienced any problems. I notice that when outside temperature is above 50F, it is unlikely that you will experience any symptoms even during the first 5 minutes after an overnight parking. When the outside temperature drops below 40F, all the symptoms can come up.
CheeseyPoofs McNut (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 06:51 PM
vtec kicked in yo

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
acura cant build a trans, how is this news?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vbx
Haven't seen any TLX here in SoCal. Seen a few Q50 popping up here and there though.
Very surprised to see people picking up the Q50. I can't wait to get rid of my Q50.
I have been following the Q50 forums and thought the initial problems with the Infotainment and DAS were mostly resolved. I have not seen any complaints on the 2015. You sound like the Q50 is still a horrible choice! Care to share why you want to get rid of it?
Old 01-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am curious about the same thing.

CheeseyPoofsMcnuts...I haven't revealed yet what I am considering yet. I will say that at the moment, I would love to stay with Acura because of my experience with the dealership. At the moment, I am still uncomfortable proceeding with the TLX at the moment although I am starting to read some positive and encouraging posts from some issues with the transmission being corrected.

There is a plan that I would like to propose to my Acura dealership and see if they will accept it, and if that is the case, I could be driving a new Acura in the spring but failure to have that work, I will be proceeding with purchasing the car that is currently being built with an expected delivery of end of March. For the record, I wouldn't be against driving a 2016 ILX A-Spec if it delivers a fun driving experience but at the moment, it is not my first choice on radar.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I am curious about the same thing.

CheeseyPoofsMcnuts...I haven't revealed yet what I am considering yet. I will say that at the moment, I would love to stay with Acura because of my experience with the dealership. At the moment, I am still uncomfortable proceeding with the TLX at the moment although I am starting to read some positive and encouraging posts from some issues with the transmission being corrected.

There is a plan that I would like to propose to my Acura dealership and see if they will accept it, and if that is the case, I could be driving a new Acura in the spring but failure to have that work, I will be proceeding with purchasing the car that is currently being built with an expected delivery of end of March. For the record, I wouldn't be against driving a 2016 ILX A-Spec if it delivers a fun driving experience but at the moment, it is not my first choice on radar.
The 2016 ILX will have the same 8-speed DCT transmission as the TLX (correct me if I am wrong). How would you know Acura will have solved the transmission glitches/problems?

I do like the new ILX front look. Its front grill design looks better than the TLX.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ By coming here and reading the comments of the early adopters
Old 02-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
I have found that all the DCT tranny problems "jerky transmission, hesitation and lunging" are highly related to outside temperature. I live in Oregon: recently the temperature has been above 50F during the day. I have not experienced any problems. I notice that when outside temperature is above 50F, it is unlikely that you will experience any symptoms even during the first 5 minutes after an overnight parking. When the outside temperature drops below 40F, all the symptoms can come up.

My V6 9 speed doesn't care what the outside ambient temperature is, it still jerks and slams on queue, whether outside temp is 105+ degrees or as low as 27. Makes no difference in my situation. Also makes no difference after driving 50 miles, still jerks and slams. Seems like everyone is having similar situations, 8 speed or 9 speed, but not all exactly the same. Mine is now back in shop again for 3rd time in 7 weeks with IP lit up like a Christmas tree and 5 error codes.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ITdude
I have been following the Q50 forums and thought the initial problems with the Infotainment and DAS were mostly resolved. I have not seen any complaints on the 2015. You sound like the Q50 is still a horrible choice! Care to share why you want to get rid of it?
It was a bad choice for me. Again, this Q50 was replacing the IS350 which I owned for 2 months. The the IS350 replaced my G35 coupe which I owned for 6 years.

The Q50 steering feels fake. It does take some getting use to but it's just feels artificial. Might be okay for some, but for me, I prefer the non-remote control steering.

MPG is horrible. I'm getting 15mpg. The bluetooth stereoe is a hit or miss. Every day (give or take) I have to turn off my bluetooth and re-sync it because it fails to connect.

My next car will probably be a 2015 Limited Edition Q60 6mt coupe. Maybe the 2016, but doubt it. If it comes with only a slush box and the same remote control steering. I'll pass.
ITdude (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

vbx...Sorry to hear about your Q50 experience. Wow, you had your IS350 for only 2 months?! You must have taken a bath on that trade!! What made you get rid of it that quickly?

Quick Reply: Acura will jeopardize their reputation if they don't fix 8 speed DCT issues