9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
^ I'd be curious to see if there is more to it. I looked back at the last Consumer Reports car guide I got. The transmission reliability in both the TLX (15+) and MDX (15+) is below average and worst in a few model years. The Pilot does better but I suspect that's because the standard tranny isn't the 9-speed - it's what you get at the top trim level IIRC. The shifting problems may be resolved but I think the complaints about lag and weak power transfer remain. It's a profoundly unimpressive transmission in all the cars I've driven in that have it.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I thought the 9-speed did ok in the SUV's, but it was the TLX that had issues. For example, wasn't it fine (well, relatively speaking) in the MDX? I could be mistaken.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I thought the 9-speed did ok in the SUV's, but it was the TLX that had issues. For example, wasn't it fine (well, relatively speaking) in the MDX? I could be mistaken.
That is my understanding as well, and it was because they didn't introduce it in the MDX until the model year after TLX introduction, so it had the fixes they applied to the ZF design late in 2015.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:21 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
For those of you with replaced 2015 9spds or 2016 or newer TLXs do you have any issues with the hard 2-3 shift? My 2016 experiences the problem sometimes in light acceleration situations. What I can't figure out is most of the time 2-3 shift is extremely smooth and sometimes it is still abrupt.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by rgpolson
For those of you with replaced 2015 9spds or 2016 or newer TLXs do you have any issues with the hard 2-3 shift? My 2016 experiences the problem sometimes in light acceleration situations. What I can't figure out is most of the time 2-3 shift is extremely smooth and sometimes it is still abrupt.
FWIW, even with the original transmission the issue was only visible when the car shifted between 2500 and 3000 RPM. Above or below that shift was normal. The problem was of course that's the shift point for light/normal acceleration. I had to spend a half hour on a back road experimenting to learn that. I only mention it just in case the issue is still RPM related based on the shift point.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Im having issue with my transmission again after they changed the A/T fluid.

In sport plus mode it will shift up on its own between 4500rpm-5500rpm. Its like it hits the rev limiter/redline at those points, the needle bounces, and then it upshifts while loosing acceleration at the same time. Feels similar a down shift as the nose of the car will dive downward but no power. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times now about this issue and they said "low gas" the first time, even though it had gas but thats the only code they could find and my gauge said 15 miles to empty. 2nd time I take it in for same issue a week or 2 later, and they say "You had a low battery charge, so we charged it and cleared the codes and its driving fine now" which makes zero sense. Asked for an explanation since that was the 2nd time and they say they had no answer "its just one of those things". Take it in a 3rd time because same issue, but this time my check engine light came on and I had to ditch my car and walk to work, luckily just around the corner. Go back to my car a few hours later and it started up so I drove ti to the dealership. They have it for just under a week and when I call for an update they say they cant reproduce "but have the check engine light codes" and want me to come in to drive their techs around. I let them know this is happening liek once a week now but we will do best to reproduce. Couldn't reproduce so we agree that a tech needs to see it, or need to get video of the issue. I go get a gopro and mount to steering wheel column and get the video. Call Acura and get the run around by my new service advisor and then the followed up attitude, because you know, im enjoying this and im the apparently the problem by expressing my concerns of safety and my family. Mind you, this vehicle in the past has switched into neutral and steering wheel locked up while I was driving, very scary, but "A reprogram fixed that" according to my dealership. They suggest that I come back in again and ride with their service director and manager to try and reproduce. I ask for the reasoning and possible next steps for if it doesnt happen since I cant just snap my fingers an reproduce. More pushback and attitude while not answering the simple question.

Im at the end of my rope with having the block rebuilt and re-occuring issues with the trans. I have never had such issue with Acura and am not really feeling the love after being a dedicated Honda/Acura promoter and owner.

Anyone else getting pushback from their dealerships in this fashion?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Interesting info about changes to ZF for 2019 Pilot. I'm guessing they carried those changes into 2019 TLX and MDX, but haven't see anything specific. But is acknowledgement that there were issues that persisted into post 2015 versions of this transmission,

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hond...-drive-review/
Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 AM

We shopped at 16 Pilot a few years ago and opted for a 14 MDX just to avoid the 9-speed, which was recently replaced with a 15 X5. So after five Acuras we're down to zero. Given how fantastic our Lexus and BMW are, Acura has a long, long way to go to get back into competition in the luxury market IMO. If I were in the market today I wouldn't have a single Acura on my shopping list. And it's not just because of the transmission, but that played a huge role in avoiding both Acura and Honda.

For the better part of 3-4 years they've been taking advantage of people who didn't know better or expect better. Maybe they can get by with Civics and Accords.....
Old 08-31-2018, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I've been lurking here and at the TLX site since 2015. It seems this 9-speed was wrong from the get-go and certainly wasn't vetted. '19 TLX owners still complain about it. The Motortrend article (thanks rgpolson) suggests many of the issues have been addressed with the 19 Pilot but '19 TLX owners still don't like it. Frankly I wouldn't buy any vehicle that has that box. Disappointing too b/c I love the concept of the TLX (not an SUV guy) and wish Acura would clean it up.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by slimm1469
I've been lurking here and at the TLX site since 2015. It seems this 9-speed was wrong from the get-go and certainly wasn't vetted. '19 TLX owners still complain about it. The Motortrend article (thanks rgpolson) suggests many of the issues have been addressed with the 19 Pilot but '19 TLX owners still don't like it. Frankly I wouldn't buy any vehicle that has that box. Disappointing too b/c I love the concept of the TLX (not an SUV guy) and wish Acura would clean it up.
My biggest disappointment with Acura. Lots of car manufacturers got taken for a ride with the 9ZF, but Acura left a lot of their customers holding the bag. I will never trust Acura again.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:03 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I posted this in another thread and I though I may get a better response here.

For those of you with a 2015 or 2016 V6 / 9sp that had the trans issues, once the latest TSB (#17-015 dated Sept 2017) was applied did you experience a noticeable difference in the way trans behaves? If so, did it last or go back to it's "old ways" after several weeks of driving it with the latest TSB?

Starting to help my youngest son look for cars and he is considering a 15 or 16 CPO TLX.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
I had the 2015/TLX/SH-AWD/9Speed ZF; after my transmission was REPLACED, by Acura, everything was fine
Although, I still feel, that my 2018/A-SPEC, shifts smoother
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JT4

For those of you with a 2015 or 2016 V6 / 9sp that had the trans issues, once the latest TSB (#17-015 dated Sept 2017) was applied did you experience a noticeable difference in the way trans behaves? If so, did it last or go back to it's "old ways" after several weeks of driving it with the latest TSB?

Starting to help my youngest son look for cars and he is considering a 15 or 16 CPO TLX.
I traded out of my 2015 TLX (V6 AWD Tech) before that TSB came along, but I will say that nothing the dealership did addressed the issue short of getting a transmission replacement. I did get a replacement eventually - was one of early round of folks to get one, but only after a 12 month battle. In all fairness the replacement transmission was OK. However I also had a transmission control module failure with mine that threw the car in Park as I was backing out of my driveway. Before I continue I'll mention I've owned 5 Acuras since 2006 so I was a fan and have a lot of experience with the brand, but my experience with my 15 TLX got me completely off Acura for both me and my wife. I know this probably isn't the answer you want, but consider having your son put the 2016 Lexus IS 350 on his list. I have a 2016 IS 200t and love it (what I got trading out of my TLX). The 350 is AWD and just over 300 hp so it's more of an equivalent to a TLX V6. Consumer Reports reliability and customer satisfaction numbers don't even compare. I personally would not trust the ZF 9sp in that car any farther than I can throw it.

Last edited by 1Louder; 10-12-2018 at 01:24 PM.
JT4 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4

Had my transmission replaced.
JT4 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 01:30 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by CPR
I had the 2015/TLX/SH-AWD/9Speed ZF; after my transmission was REPLACED, by Acura, everything was fine
Although, I still feel, that my 2018/A-SPEC, shifts smoother
Thanks, well good to know that the replacement units fixed you're issue... Hoping the the TSB I mentioned previously also helped out...

If we happened to find a TLX he really likes I going to have my service advisor run a service history report before we pull the trigger to see what has, and hasn't been done so we know what we're getting into if we go this route..
Old 10-12-2018, 01:31 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Thanks for all the replies so far..
Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by 1Louder
I traded out of my 2015 TLX (V6 AWD Tech) before that TSB came along, but I will say that nothing the dealership did addressed the issue short of getting a transmission replacement. I did get a replacement eventually - was one of early round of folks to get one, but only after a 12 month battle. In all fairness the replacement transmission was OK. However I also had a transmission control module failure with mine that threw the car in Park as I was backing out of my driveway. Before I continue I'll mention I've owned 5 Acuras since 2006 so I was a fan and have a lot of experience with the brand, but my experience with my 15 TLX got me completely off Acura for both me and my wife. I know this probably isn't the answer you want, but consider having your son put the 2016 Lexus IS 350 on his list. I have a 2016 IS 200t and love it (what I got trading out of my TLX). The 350 is AWD and just over 300 hp so it's more of an equivalent to a TLX V6. Consumer Reports reliability and customer satisfaction numbers don't even compare. I personally would not trust the ZF 9sp in that car any farther than I can throw it.
Quite the opposite, I want all answers both positive and negative so thank you!!!..

I've been with Acura since 2004 (3 of them), also have experience having owned 3 Lexus's gong back to 2006 so like you I'm also familiar with both brands. When he first mentioned the TLX I took a step back knowing what I know from the forum regarding the trans issues.

But then I remembered reading about the success some have had with the most recent TSB, and others being happy after the trans was replaced so I figured I would start asking.. It also doesn't hurt that I've known my service advisor for over 10 years and we have a close relationship..

Again thank you.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by JT4
Quite the opposite, I want all answers both positive and negative so thank you!!!..

I've been with Acura since 2004 (3 of them), also have experience having owned 3 Lexus's gong back to 2006 so like you I'm also familiar with both brands. When he first mentioned the TLX I took a step back knowing what I know from the forum regarding the trans issues.

But then I remembered reading about the success some have had with the most recent TSB, and others being happy after the trans was replaced so I figured I would start asking.. It also doesn't hurt that I've known my service advisor for over 10 years and we have a close relationship..

Again thank you.
Ah, well it's good you have an inside opinion and maybe someone you can trust. I was one of the early owners of the 2015 and I'm pretty jaded from the 18 months they put me through to get satisfaction. Very un-Acura like in my opinion. While I didn't get the TSB you reference, maybe another observation I'll offer is TSBs and "relearns" applied to my car always masked the issue for 2-3 weeks, then it returned. I would not put it past dealers to apply a relearn before putting the cars on the lot because it will appear that everything is fine during a test drive. If you go by how it feels in the moment, you may be disappointed 2-3 weeks after you get it home. If you have a good relationship with the service advisor, maybe they can help steer you to a car that's had the replacement. My is that would be the safest way to go because the replacement seems to have made owners happy, but I'm not aware that any TSB has long term.
JT4 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Ah, well it's good you have an inside opinion and maybe someone you can trust. I was one of the early owners of the 2015 and I'm pretty jaded from the 18 months they put me through to get satisfaction. Very un-Acura like in my opinion. While I didn't get the TSB you reference, maybe another observation I'll offer is TSBs and "relearns" applied to my car always masked the issue for 2-3 weeks, then it returned. I would not put it past dealers to apply a relearn before putting the cars on the lot because it will appear that everything is fine during a test drive. If you go by how it feels in the moment, you may be disappointed 2-3 weeks after you get it home. If you have a good relationship with the service advisor, maybe they can help steer you to a car that's had the replacement. My is that would be the safest way to go because the replacement seems to have made owners happy, but I'm not aware that any TSB has long term.
I completely agree with this. I got my trans replaced and am 95% satisfied with it. Much better than the original. It required a mechanical change, not just a SW change.
JT4 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:07 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Exactly, that's why I asked in my first post about the shifting going back to it's "old ways" after several weeks.. I'm pretty sensitive to this because back in 2011 we had new MB ML350 that the dealer updated the shift adaptions and TCM software 5 times. And every time within 2-4 weeks the crappy shifting characteristics would come back.. Been there, done that, so I don't want to "be there" again.. LOL
Old 10-12-2018, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4

I've owned my 2015 TLX since August 2014, so have gone through pretty much every software update.
1) My car drives far better than it did originally. Originally, it was a car that should not have been shipped.
2) I have not been able to get a replacement transmission like many others. This has left me with bumps, thumps, and delayed acceleration from stops, as well as the car hesitating for 2 or 3 seconds to move after coming out of reverse and into drive which presented a hazard since my initial reaction was to "give it more gas" at which time it accelerated like it was shot out of a cannon.
3) There is no guarantee that if you test drive a 2015, you will have the same driving experience later. My car's driving quirks and odd bumps as it shifts gears and delayed accelerations don't always show themselves. Unless you can have an extended test drive of at least 1 or 2 weeks or something, don't rely on a 10-15 minute test drive to reassure you the car will behave. Many of us had software fixes applied, but within a few days or hundred miles, the issues the fix had seemingly fixed, returned. Just because all software fixes have been applied doesn't mean the car will drive well or even "good enough".
4) Now some of us seem to have issues with the car struggling to start after driving for a while, stopping at a destination for 5-10 minutes and then attempting to start the car again. Acura hasn't been able to figure out what the problem is since it doesn't always happen (in my case). Another user on the forum complained about the issue and his starter finally died and was replaced from what I recall.

Based upon my experience with the TLX, I wouldn't recommend you buying one. The experience and handling of my situation has been so bad, I've pretty promised myself my next vehicle won't be an Acura. If you do buy a TLX, especially a 2015, make sure (and get it in writing) that, at the very least, the transmission has been replaced. Don't buy one with any kind of "guarantee" that "we'll take care of you". If it doesn't get done before you buy the vehicle, don't buy it. Personally, I'd go with a nice Lexus as suggested previously. I passed on the IS 350 because I didn't like the interior that much and now regret it. Of course, visit some Lexus forums and make sure they don't have gremlins like the TLX before buying one, too.
JT4 (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 06:13 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I've owned my 2015 TLX since August 2014, so have gone through pretty much every software update.
1) My car drives far better than it did originally. Originally, it was a car that should not have been shipped.
2) I have not been able to get a replacement transmission like many others. This has left me with bumps, thumps, and delayed acceleration from stops, as well as the car hesitating for 2 or 3 seconds to move after coming out of reverse and into drive which presented a hazard since my initial reaction was to "give it more gas" at which time it accelerated like it was shot out of a cannon.
3) There is no guarantee that if you test drive a 2015, you will have the same driving experience later. My car's driving quirks and odd bumps as it shifts gears and delayed accelerations don't always show themselves. Unless you can have an extended test drive of at least 1 or 2 weeks or something, don't rely on a 10-15 minute test drive to reassure you the car will behave. Many of us had software fixes applied, but within a few days or hundred miles, the issues the fix had seemingly fixed, returned. Just because all software fixes have been applied doesn't mean the car will drive well or even "good enough".
4) Now some of us seem to have issues with the car struggling to start after driving for a while, stopping at a destination for 5-10 minutes and then attempting to start the car again. Acura hasn't been able to figure out what the problem is since it doesn't always happen (in my case). Another user on the forum complained about the issue and his starter finally died and was replaced from what I recall.

Based upon my experience with the TLX, I wouldn't recommend you buying one. The experience and handling of my situation has been so bad, I've pretty promised myself my next vehicle won't be an Acura. If you do buy a TLX, especially a 2015, make sure (and get it in writing) that, at the very least, the transmission has been replaced. Don't buy one with any kind of "guarantee" that "we'll take care of you". If it doesn't get done before you buy the vehicle, don't buy it. Personally, I'd go with a nice Lexus as suggested previously. I passed on the IS 350 because I didn't like the interior that much and now regret it. Of course, visit some Lexus forums and make sure they don't have gremlins like the TLX before buying one, too.
Thank you... Well the search has only just begun and the TLX was one of several cars my son has mentioned, and since I helped his two older brothers when they're time came for a car it's now his turn. His list is all over the place; TLX, IS250, ILX, Accord Sport and oh yeah a 2013 GTR LOL... I told him "nice try"...

I've been on the Club Lexus forum for several years and there really isn't anything to concern myself about in regards to the IS, but I guess I was considering the TLX only because of my long standing relationship with my dealer and service advisor. I already spoke with my service advisor and he also told me to proceed with caution, and ordered me (LOL) to make sure I pass any VIN's onto him so he could check them out before I do anything. He thinks that an ILX would be a better choice for his first car.

And in all fairness even though my son is putting up some of his own money and I'm making up the difference, he is being pretty cool in that if I feel a particular vehicle isn't for him we're moving onto the next choice..

I appreciate the feedback...
Old 10-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had my transmission finally replaced on my 2015 SH-AWD TLX. During my second to the last "oil change", I brought up the transmission warmer "recall". They did another software update which did not fix the issue. During my last "oil change", I brought it up again and they said it was fine. But I said it wasn't fine and had the mechanic drive with me. They finally approved a transmission replacement.

I must say that the replacement transmission fixed the 2-3 shifting problem. I would say that the replacement transmission now feels "normal". I wouldn't call it "awesome" though.

Because I am also having some issues with my Auto Idle Start, and because Acura gave me a hard time replacing the transmission, this will probably me my last Acura. I had a 2003 Honda Civic and had no problems with it. But I'm unimpressed with the Acura. My next car will probably be a Lexus or a BMW.
JT4 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by JT4
Thank you... Well the search has only just begun and the TLX was one of several cars my son has mentioned, and since I helped his two older brothers when they're time came for a car it's now his turn. His list is all over the place; TLX, IS250, ILX, Accord Sport and oh yeah a 2013 GTR LOL... I told him "nice try"...

I've been on the Club Lexus forum for several years and there really isn't anything to concern myself about in regards to the IS, but I guess I was considering the TLX only because of my long standing relationship with my dealer and service advisor. I already spoke with my service advisor and he also told me to proceed with caution, and ordered me (LOL) to make sure I pass any VIN's onto him so he could check them out before I do anything. He thinks that an ILX would be a better choice for his first car.

And in all fairness even though my son is putting up some of his own money and I'm making up the difference, he is being pretty cool in that if I feel a particular vehicle isn't for him we're moving onto the next choice..

I appreciate the feedback...
Would he consider a 2014 TL SH-AWD? Cheaper than a 15/16 TLX, same power and performance, more fun than an ILX.... If I were set on an Acura sedan, that's the one I'd target. FWIW, the ILX seems to have the same miserable Consumer Report marks as the TLX (I get the magazine). If he can stand the looks, the new Civic Type R is getting all kinds of love in Car and Driver....
JT4 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:35 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Would he consider a 2014 TL SH-AWD? Cheaper than a 15/16 TLX, same power and performance, more fun than an ILX.... If I were set on an Acura sedan, that's the one I'd target. FWIW, the ILX seems to have the same miserable Consumer Report marks as the TLX (I get the magazine). If he can stand the looks, the new Civic Type R is getting all kinds of love in Car and Driver....
Too funny, I was just thinking about this Sat night, picking up a 14 TL SH-AWD.. We've had the 2011 4G since new which is now my middle sons car and it has been awesome...

Thanks again everyone for the input..
Old 10-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4

Just don't think about the 2015. Sure you might save a few bucks but it is not worth it. You are probably okay with a 16 or newer. I have a later 15 with the transmission they won't replace. The software updates are temporary. Within 500 miles the car will be back to where it was before. Mine car is not as bad as Louder1, more so it is annoying and on occasion when I really want the car to get moving, like I just moved into the left lane to pass, it just seems to give me this dumb look and say "what do you want me to do? Go faster? Okay, let me see what gear might be best. Oh look there is a bunny by the side of the road. Oh hey, do you see that car coming up fast behind you? Oh that's right, hmmm.. I think I like 3rd gear, no wait, 4th, oh um.. yeah 3rd it is. Ok let me dial that up for you... it will just take a minute or so..."

My car is paid off now. I'm just trying to get as much value out of the car before I buy my next car. The car has been pretty good except for the ZF transmission. It is normally pretty fun to drive and I like the V6 engine. As everyone knows the 9ZF sucks in just about every car it was ever put in.
JT4 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Does the kid have to have a V6? I4 owners seem happy with their cars. Different transmission and decent acceleration.
JT4 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 03:23 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Does the kid have to have a V6? I4 owners seem happy with their cars. Different transmission and decent acceleration.
That's an awesome transmission. Honda DCT.
JT4 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 02:52 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I've already crossed the 2015 V6 off the list due to the issues, and no he doesn't have to have the V6, it was more about getting him the SH-AWD for bad weather than the V6 for more power. If the SH-AWD was available with the I4 that is the way we would have been looking from the beginning. So now we are starting to look around at the I4 because as you mentioned there seems to be less issues with the trans..

My only other concern is it seems that even some I4 owner have had issues with the vibration problem. So as much as I really would like to go with Acura I have to proceed with caution...

Originally Posted by kurtatx
That's an awesome transmission. Honda DCT.
Yeah, from the reviews it seems pretty good, and IMO as much as I would prefer him with SH-AWD, the DCT seems like the safer choice..

Last edited by JT4; 10-29-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Ya, were I to do the TLX again (and I likely won't without a change in transmission), I'd go with an I4 with DCT. I'm down to being in Sport + mode with manual shifting because the ZF9 is not being good. Sorry to vent again, it just really sucks.
JT4 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 07:18 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

^Yeah leaning that way, as much as I would prefer to get him the SH-AWD for bad weather my gut is telling me to go with the I4. The bonus here of course is we'll save money too..

I spoke to my service advisor again yesterday and he told me that the 16's, especially with software that's up to date are light years better than the 15's..But then said, "so you know there are a few 16's that customers still have issues with", and said my son may not even notice it. And for the few times if and when I drive it, he suggested that I drive it in sport and in his opinion I probably would be fine.

Either way he suggested that if I find a car at another dealer I should send him the VIN so he can check the history... To be continued...LOL
Old 11-01-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by JT4
^Yeah leaning that way, as much as I would prefer to get him the SH-AWD for bad weather my gut is telling me to go with the I4. The bonus here of course is we'll save money too..

I spoke to my service advisor again yesterday and he told me that the 16's, especially with software that's up to date are light years better than the 15's..But then said, "so you know there are a few 16's that customers still have issues with", and said my son may not even notice it. And for the few times if and when I drive it, he suggested that I drive it in sport and in his opinion I probably would be fine.

Either way he suggested that if I find a car at another dealer I should send him the VIN so he can check the history... To be continued...LOL
I would caution the service guy suggesting he might not even notice. While true, once you notice it, you notice it all the time. At least that's how it was for me. And the fact you've looked into it I think increases the odds of you and him noticing. It's a bell you can't un-ring.

Honestly if AWD is a priority, a 2016 Lexus IS AWD (I think it's the 300 or 350) would be a clear choice over any TLX in my book. And for some reason the IS's are depreciating faster than I would have thought, so they seem to be great buys. All the performance and none of the maintenance issues.
JT4 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I would caution the service guy suggesting he might not even notice. While true, once you notice it, you notice it all the time. At least that's how it was for me. And the fact you've looked into it I think increases the odds of you and him noticing. It's a bell you can't un-ring.

Honestly if AWD is a priority, a 2016 Lexus IS AWD (I think it's the 300 or 350) would be a clear choice over any TLX in my book. And for some reason the IS's are depreciating faster than I would have thought, so they seem to be great buys. All the performance and none of the maintenance issues.
So very true, that's why I mentioned in my previous post that " as much as I would prefer to get him the SH-AWD for bad weather my gut is telling me to go with the I4. ".

We're considering the IS even though it costs more, but my son is 6'3" (and still growing) and felt the IS was a little tight for him, it's not out of the running yet, I mean he fit but felt more comfortable in the TLX.. We may just get an I4 and if needed get him a set of winter tires..
Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Advanced

I have a 2016 SHAWD, and yes, this problem is still very noticeable. Not as bad as the 2015, but still annoying. Paid off in December and likely to get ditch for something else. It's as shame as there is so much I like about the car.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by rgpolson
I have a 2016 SHAWD, and yes, this problem is still very noticeable. Not as bad as the 2015, but still annoying. Paid off in December and likely to get ditch for something else. It's as shame as there is so much I like about the car.
If it had the ZF8 speed I'd still own it. Would have been such a better choice IMO.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey guys, so I am in the market for a 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD and have one that I test drove at carmax but it had the hard shift from 2-3....every other gear was butter smooth. So I had the salesman in the car with me for 2 test drives and he felt the hard shift and he told me he would have their ASE certified mechanic look at it and get back to me. After about a week, he updated me today and told me the mechanic said there was definitely something wrong with it, and he contacted acura and took it to an acura dealer...long story short, they are replacing the transmission after the very 1st inspection by the acura dealer service guys. So now the 2015 TLX will have a 2018 transmission and here is my question.....has anyone gotten their transmission replaced recently by acura and what were the results? I pad $100 to have this car transferred from a different location to my location, and so I have dibbs on this car unless i tell them i do not want it, then they will put it back up for sale. The ride was super smooth on this one except for the 2-3 shift, so now if it comes back with a new transmission and shifts smooth, does that make this car a great one to pick over say a 2017 Audi A4? That was the other car I was considering, or even a CHrysler 300 S (these two cars I was looking at due to Android Auto integration and good driving experience from test driving them). I am trying to figure out if the ventilated seats and remote start are better than android auto integration in a car? The acura i can add navtool i guess, but that's been a wreck for some people dealing with that company....now i am on the fence of which direction i should go with these cars, as my hesitation on the TLX was transmission issues but a new transmission may solve this? Any input?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:46 PM

When I had my tranny replaced in my 15, I will say in all fairness it was better. From what I recall, most folks here that got the replacement were happy. But I would definitely drive it and see what you think. My motivation for getting out of the car after that had more to do with how Acrua treated me, the 14 or so months it took to get one and the fight I had to put up. But if all that aggravation is being taken care of, you just need to see if the performance is to your liking. The 9-speed was not favorite of mine even after the replacement, but that had a lot more to do with shift performance which is just the "nature of the beast" with that many gears. And that will depend on whether you like to drive hard or not. As for better than the Audi - I think that's owners choice really. A lot of people love their A4's, but I have to believe the Acura is significantly cheaper.

Basically I'd recommend a good long test drive. If Carmax is up for it, maybe see if you can keep it for a day and commute with it and really see what your daily experience will be like.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
JT4 (11-13-2018), swedrows (11-10-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
I’m sharing my story to help people considering, shopping for, and/or buying a used TLX. I hope they find this thread before they buy. I was in the market for a car. After doing all my research and comparisons, the TLX topped my list. On paper and according to most magazine and consumer reviews, it’s a great car (besides the transmission). While I was fully aware that the tranny was bad, I underestimated how bad it really was. I trusted Acura would never release a car with a tranny as bad as everyone claimed it was. Make no mistake: the original tranny REALLY IS as bad as everyone says. Almost at random, it decides to be clunky, jerky, loud, rough, hesitant or sloppy when shifting. All that makes for questionable reliability at best.

My perfect match popped up at a Lexus dealer – mint condition, loaded, low mileage (30k), early build (VIN around 6000) 2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance. In hindsight, I know exactly why it was traded into a Lexus dealer. You can read right in this thread about people leaving Acura for Audi and Lexus. Took a short (20 min) test drive around town and loved it. A few months and a few thousand miles later, summer turns to winter and temps drop. The “wonky, quirky” transmission I had accepted starts jerking me around. Bad enough that I'm like "I've driven GMC trucks that shift smoother than this." I find this thread, read it start to end (all 64 pages), read TSB 15-040, call my Acura dealer and ask about 1-2 and 2-3 hard shifting. They replicate the issue, send snapshots to Acura and without even asking me to try the relearn, get a replacement approved.

To those asking about the replacement tranny, here is what MY replacement tranny fixed (YMMV):
a. No more clunky/jerky shifting from/to park to/from drive or reverse
b. No more clunky/jerky downshifting from 2 to 1 at low speeds – this was typical in parking lots and driveways
c. No more hard 1-2 and 2-3 upshifting – I still find myself stiffening up in anticipation of these hard shifts even though they no longer happen
d. No more pronounced engine lugging/car vibration between 35-45mph
I think 9 speeds are 2 or 3 too many. If I had one complaint, I’d say the new tranny shifts a lot and sometimes hunts for gears; e.g. at 52mph, it constantly shifts between 6-5-6 and at 78mph it constantly shifts between 8-7-8 given the slightest incline or wind gust. At least the shifts are crisp and fast, not hard, jerky and sloppy. The car is worlds better.

I can’t thank the users here for this thread like @1Louder , @Rocketsfan , @Rocket_man , and so many others for providing such valuable info. I felt everyone’s pain reading through the early pages before Acura/ZF had any answers besides software, software, software. It is not a software issue. Don’t let any dealer or salesperson tell you that. It’s terrible that owners were put through the wringer and certain owners still don't have the replacement. I would hate Acura and the TLX as much as you do. It’s unbelievable that the original ZF9 slushbox was ever released. If you fall in the TSB 15-040 VIN/build date range, complain until you get a new tranny. If your dealer doesn’t care, complain more. Try a different dealer. It’s worth it. The new tranny absolutely transforms the TLX.

Used TLXs are under 4yr/50k basic and 6yr/70k powertrain warranty. If you are shopping for a used, CPO or off-lease TLX, take a long test drive that includes a stop at the local Acura dealer. Ask them if its tranny was replaced under TSB 15-040. If they say no, demand whomever is selling it to replace the tranny before you buy it. If you unknowingly buy one, then experience tranny issues, there is still time to complain and get it fixed under warranty.

I’m glad Acura is doing right by owners now. My dealership was phenomenal in handling this issue on my behalf. People like me are benefitting from the struggle that original owners went through.
The following 4 users liked this post by someguy11:
1Louder (11-20-2018), neuronbob (11-21-2018), Rocketsfan (11-20-2018), Rocket_man (12-01-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy11
I’m sharing my story to help people considering, shopping for, and/or buying a used TLX. I hope they find this thread before they buy. I was in the market for a car. After doing all my research and comparisons, the TLX topped my list. On paper and according to most magazine and consumer reviews, it’s a great car (besides the transmission). While I was fully aware that the tranny was bad, I underestimated how bad it really was. I trusted Acura would never release a car with a tranny as bad as everyone claimed it was. Make no mistake: the original tranny REALLY IS as bad as everyone says. Almost at random, it decides to be clunky, jerky, loud, rough, hesitant or sloppy when shifting. All that makes for questionable reliability at best.

My perfect match popped up at a Lexus dealer – mint condition, loaded, low mileage (30k), early build (VIN around 6000) 2015 TLX SH-AWD Advance. In hindsight, I know exactly why it was traded into a Lexus dealer. You can read right in this thread about people leaving Acura for Audi and Lexus. Took a short (20 min) test drive around town and loved it. A few months and a few thousand miles later, summer turns to winter and temps drop. The “wonky, quirky” transmission I had accepted starts jerking me around. Bad enough that I'm like "I've driven GMC trucks that shift smoother than this." I find this thread, read it start to end (all 64 pages), read TSB 15-040, call my Acura dealer and ask about 1-2 and 2-3 hard shifting. They replicate the issue, send snapshots to Acura and without even asking me to try the relearn, get a replacement approved.

To those asking about the replacement tranny, here is what MY replacement tranny fixed (YMMV):
b. No more clunky/jerky downshifting from 2 to 1 at low speeds – this was typical in parking lots and driveways
c. No more hard 1-2 and 2-3 upshifting – I still find myself stiffening up in anticipation of these hard shifts even though they no longer happen
I think 9 speeds are 2 or 3 too many. If I had one complaint, I’d say the new tranny shifts a lot and sometimes hunts for gears; e.g. at 52mph, it constantly shifts between 6-5-6 and at 78mph it constantly shifts between 8-7-8 given the slightest incline or wind gust. At least the shifts are crisp and fast, not hard, jerky and sloppy. The car is worlds better.

I can’t thank the users here for this thread like @1Louder , @Rocketsfan , @Rocket_man , and so many others for providing such valuable info. I felt everyone’s pain reading through the early pages before Acura/ZF had any answers besides software, software, software. It is not a software issue. Don’t let any dealer or salesperson tell you that. It’s terrible that owners were put through the wringer and certain owners still don't have the replacement. I would hate Acura and the TLX as much as you do. It’s unbelievable that the original ZF9 slushbox was ever released. If you fall in the TSB 15-040 VIN/build date range, complain until you get a new tranny. If your dealer doesn’t care, complain more. Try a different dealer. It’s worth it. The new tranny absolutely transforms the TLX.

Used TLXs are under 4yr/50k basic and 6yr/70k powertrain warranty. If you are shopping for a used, CPO or off-lease TLX, take a long test drive that includes a stop at the local Acura dealer. Ask them if its tranny was replaced under TSB 15-040. If they say no, demand whomever is selling it to replace the tranny before you buy it. If you unknowingly buy one, then experience tranny issues, there is still time to complain and get it fixed under warranty.

I’m glad Acura is doing right by owners now. My dealership was phenomenal in handling this issue on my behalf. People like me are benefitting from the struggle that original owners went through.
I have an early 2015 TLX also. I think I was one of the first to get a replacement transmission. After about 6 thousand miles, it started making noises, and guess what, they replaced the transmission again. This time with a NEW 2017 transmission and not a rebuilt unit as they had done previously. I was told Acura learned from their mistakes with my car. I believe I am one of few that got a new transmission instead of a rebuilt unit. Its been great. I love the TLX even after all of this....
Old 11-20-2018, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by someguy11

Thanks for posting your experience. So glad Acura just "got to the point" and replaced it. What they should have done from the beginning.

Hey Acura - if you are reading this, if you had treated me this way I'd likely still have two Acuras in my garage instead of a Lexus and BMW.

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3