9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Old 11-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
I just started really feeling the rough shifts in the past few weeks. I took my 2015 in about 2 weeks ago for a TCM and idle learn fix. Drove it around for about 700miles and felt the transmission shifts were even more prominent, so I took it back on Saturday. They said the car had failed the shift test and they would inspect the ATF warmer (as noted in the letter that was sent out). Fast forward to today and the warmer passed their test, so they applied another TCM update. Hopefully that'll fix the issue, but I'll be driving it around closer to a month before I possibly have to bring it back *knock on wood*.

All pretty weird cause I didn't feel any rough shifts, save for less than a handful of them where the gear would kinda hang in revs, but otherwise before I turned it to 34000 miles, didn't really feel anything. For me it's not a deal breaker with the car, and I'm happy I'm covered for another 10yrs, but am a bit disappointed that a car I spent this much on is having this kind of trouble barely 2yrs into ownership. I was always aware that the transmissions in Acuras weren't always really good, but man, 2yrs....
Not meaning to rain on your parade..... (also assuming you have the 9-speed)

My understanding of the problem is the design of the dog-clutch is wrong. TCM updates and idle relearns won't fix it - they will temporarily but eventually the old behavior will come back. The true fix lies with getting a replacement transmission. But that's an ordeal to put it mildly.

Hopefully they can tweak the car back into spec in a way that you remain happy with it. But you are just in the early stages of the hoops the dealership will have you jump through in an attempt to wear you down or make you happy enough to stop coming back. But the frustrating part is these don't fix the problem and Acura knows it. But if you weren't noticing it to begin with, and they can make it better and you are happy, that's the better alternative than the death-march it will take to get a replacement.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder
Not meaning to rain on your parade..... (also assuming you have the 9-speed)

My understanding of the problem is the design of the dog-clutch is wrong. TCM updates and idle relearns won't fix it - they will temporarily but eventually the old behavior will come back. The true fix lies with getting a replacement transmission. But that's an ordeal to put it mildly.

Hopefully they can tweak the car back into spec in a way that you remain happy with it. But you are just in the early stages of the hoops the dealership will have you jump through in an attempt to wear you down or make you happy enough to stop coming back. But the frustrating part is these don't fix the problem and Acura knows it. But if you weren't noticing it to begin with, and they can make it better and you are happy, that's the better alternative than the death-march it will take to get a replacement.
If they could get it back to what it was before the past 3wks, I'll be happy with it. The shifts have just felt so much more prominent, especially after the update. So whatever they did this time hopefully it's remedied it. I noticed the shifts before but recently it's as if someone has let go of the clutch too soon on a manual, been really jerky shifts.

I'll be picking up the car later so hopefully it's better. I'll just be happy to have my car back after driving around this rental ILX the past few days. It's too small, noisy, and just uncomfortable overall.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey 1Louder. I'm up in Vancouver, and I couldn't help but notice that you and I have the EXACT same transmission issues. The way you described it, is exactly what I'm going through right now. I'm sitting at the dealership lounge right now for my B1 service and they are going to do the warmer check that just came out... my fingers are crossed that they find a problem. Up until now, I hate this car, and SOLELY because of this 2nd and 3rd gear problem.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joe T
Hey 1Louder. I'm up in Vancouver, and I couldn't help but notice that you and I have the EXACT same transmission issues. The way you described it, is exactly what I'm going through right now. I'm sitting at the dealership lounge right now for my B1 service and they are going to do the warmer check that just came out... my fingers are crossed that they find a problem. Up until now, I hate this car, and SOLELY because of this 2nd and 3rd gear problem.
Hi Joe - I had a January 2015 build 2015 TLX SH-AWD Tech, purchased March 2015. I owned it until Aug 2016 when I opted for a Lexus instead. I got the tranny replacement ~ June 2016 if memory serves. I'm a bit removed from the most recent developments so apologize for that. When I drove with a rep (after about 12 months of fighting with Acura, in and out of the dealership 4+times for relearns, tests, etc.) he told me (or admitted) that the dog clutch in the 9-speed had to be changed from inverted to non-inverted (or it may have been the other way around - non-inverted to inverted) - but reversing it was the fix. At some point - and I don't know when exactly - I strongly suspect the TLX's coming off the line probably had the "new" transmission. But part of the reason (I was told) that I had to wait 12 months was because Acura didn't have this fix in place until then. And it's not really a fix per se, it's a new replacement transmission.

So I think if you have a car that has a build date of maybe June-ish 2016 or earlier, you may have the original transmission. In my experience, no amount of re-learns or other adjustments fixed my issue. I even had the Transmission Control Module (TCM) fail in an unrelated issue and that got replaced - but no change. The re-learns would help for a few weeks, but the "learning" transmission would eventually revert to it's original behavior. If the problem is that dog cluch, I don't see how there could be a solution that can be found in the software or other components.

I think you are confronted with three choices. You can live with it, trade out of it, or begin the long fight with Acura to get a replacement put in. I'm not sure if rules are different in Canada - they may very well be so I'm not sure if I can be 100% accurate in your case. But if it's similar, the "fight" you have to put up with is bringing the car in, complaining about the issue, let them do the re-learn, let the re-learn fail, bring it back in, complain, and repeat that process until they elevate it to an area rep and you take him or her on a drive. If the rep agrees you have an issue, that opens the door for a replacement. But Acura will make you come back over and over again so you have to be determined.

Truth be told, I was so frustrated by the 15+ months of fighting with Acura that even after they replaced it I could not shake the bad feelings and I just wanted out. I even paid a few thousand to do it since I was under a lease. I will say this - the replacement tranny did fix the issue and it seems that it has for other members here. Maybe have a chat with your dealer while you are there and see what kind of a fight is in front of you. Best of luck!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I received the transmission warmer letter as well. It reminded me that I'm still PO'd about the hard shifting and the hesitation, so I booked an appointment to have my 2015 looked at again. I'm hoping I can get the transmission replaced as that appears to solve the problem. However, I am under the impression that Acura is not changing transmissions in Canada. Has anyone in Canada been able to get them to swap it out?
Old 12-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I am just glad I have 10 months left on my lease. Counting the days...
Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
20k and hard shift?

Just approaching 20k on 2016 SH-AWD and I swear the hard 2-3 shift is getting worse. I see this thread has been dead for a while, probably because most just now living with this transmission's "unrefined behavior", but just wondering if anyone has any similar experience. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Surprised that a 2016 has that problem. Thought it was just the '15s. I had my early '15 transmission replaced about 15,000 miles ago and it has been great. Replacement is the only solution.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:02 AM
SwaxStar33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh it still sucks...

I've jumped through the dealership hoops of, "it just needs another update", etc etc and nothing fixes it. This transmission is an absolute joke. It's ruined the driving experience of my car because I'm always aware of it. For my car to drive responsive enough to enjoy you have to keep it in sport + but the trade off is it jerks you around like something from an amusement park. I'd love to drive a 2015 v6 with a replaced transmission and see what the difference is like.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (04-13-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SwaxStar33
I've jumped through the dealership hoops of, "it just needs another update", etc etc and nothing fixes it. This transmission is an absolute joke. It's ruined the driving experience of my car because I'm always aware of it. For my car to drive responsive enough to enjoy you have to keep it in sport + but the trade off is it jerks you around like something from an amusement park. I'd love to drive a 2015 v6 with a replaced transmission and see what the difference is like.
I had a 15 that got a replacement tranny after about a 15 month fight with Acura. I traded out of it at 18 months. To be fair, the fix was effective. The hard bump and hesitation from 1-2 and 2-3 largely went away. If you read back a few pages I think you'll find that generally speaking most folks are happy after the replacement.

Two things worked against me even after the replacement - one is what you talked about, the 15 months of "ruined driving experience" because once I noticed the problem, I noticed it all the time (and I'm in my car 2 hrs/day). The second was how Acura treated me. I was one of the owners that waged the fight all while Acura was trying to figure out the problem and fix it. That's why it took 15 months. Along with that, my transmission control module failed during those 15 months (threw the car in park as I was backing out of my driveway). So I already had a failure and a tow to the dealership. I was really too tainted by the whole experience to enjoy the car after the replacement, so I moved on.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
SwaxStar33: Get on the phone with Acura corporate; they'll arrange for the replacement
In the meantime, harass the operations director at your dealer, & threaten to "0ut" the dealership on the internet
Good luck!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:58 AM
SwaxStar33

Originally Posted by CPR
SwaxStar33: Get on the phone with Acura corporate; they'll arrange for the replacement
In the meantime, harass the operations director at your dealer, & threaten to "0ut" the dealership on the internet
Good luck!
Just called the dealership and I'm taking it in on Monday. My service rep and I have a pretty good relationship, and he spoke pretty candidly about how even with the, "new transmissions", he's had multiple people still not happy. I'm just hoping for a replacement, and not another, "update/relearn". Fingers crossed.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:33 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Just called the dealership and I'm taking it in on Monday. My service rep and I have a pretty good relationship, and he spoke pretty candidly about how even with the, "new transmissions", he's had multiple people still not happy. I'm just hoping for a replacement, and not another, "update/relearn". Fingers crossed.
Find the TSB related to this. It has been updated a few times. In your car is in the approved VIN range to be considered for a replacement, they will update the software (again) and then tell you to drive it 500 miles and if the problem is still there they can approve a replacement. If you car is not in the right VIN range they will tell you there is nothing they can do beyond the software update.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:18 AM
SwaxStar33

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Find the TSB related to this. It has been updated a few times. In your car is in the approved VIN range to be considered for a replacement, they will update the software (again) and then tell you to drive it 500 miles and if the problem is still there they can approve a replacement. If you car is not in the right VIN range they will tell you there is nothing they can do beyond the software update.
where can I find the VIN ranges that qualify for replacements?
Old 04-17-2018, 03:24 AM
Summer is Coming

where can I find the VIN ranges that qualify for replacements?
It is in the TSB. The TSB is posted in the main TLX section. Make sure you get the latest TSB. It has been update 3-4 times. Just search for it.

ok, I saved you the time...

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF

Last edited by Rocket_man; 04-17-2018 at 03:30 AM.
Shadow2056 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 AM
SwaxStar33

It is in the TSB. The TSB is posted in the main TLX section. Make sure you get the latest TSB. It has been update 3-4 times. Just search for it.

ok, I saved you the time...

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B15-040.PDF
So...took my TLX in yesterday for the recall notice on the transmission fluid warmer, and the part had definitely failed. They're replacing the radiator, hoses, and the transmission. They said it will take at least 2 weeks, but probably longer because they're short-staffed right now. Really unsure how to feel about all this.
Rocket_man (04-22-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
So...took my TLX in yesterday for the recall notice on the transmission fluid warmer, and the part had definitely failed. They're replacing the radiator, hoses, and the transmission. They said it will take at least 2 weeks, but probably longer because they're short-staffed right now. Really unsure how to feel about all this.
At least fix ensures transmission is good for now, but I know the feeling. What next comes to mind.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:52 PM

In Consumer Reports the TLX has the "worst" rating in the category of reliability for 2015, 16 and 17.

Just me, personally, I would not want to own an out of warranty TLX for the exact reason is that the whole transmission system is sketchy. When I got the new tranny in my 2015 a while back it was a ~$3000 job IIRC (not that I paid for it, but I saw the records). Had I not bailed on it early, I most certainly would have before the warranty was up.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:16 PM
SwaxStar33

In Consumer Reports the TLX has the "worst" rating in the category of reliability for 2015, 16 and 17.

Just me, personally, I would not want to own an out of warranty TLX for the exact reason is that the whole transmission system is sketchy. When I got the new tranny in my 2015 a while back it was a ~$3000 job IIRC (not that I paid for it, but I saw the records). Had I not bailed on it early, I most certainly would have before the warranty was up.
Oh I'm already looking for my next car. Mine only has 27k miles on it, and it's certified, but even my service adviser said he's already had 4 or 5 people who've had their transmissions replaced remain very unhappy with how the car drives, etc. Awesome.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:52 PM

Oh I'm already looking for my next car. Mine only has 27k miles on it, and it's certified, but even my service adviser said he's already had 4 or 5 people who've had their transmissions replaced remain very unhappy with how the car drives, etc. Awesome.
IMHO, Acura has taken a HUGE stumble in their entire product line for sedans. I would not want to own an ILX, TLX or RLX. And I've owned five Acuras and two Hondas. I'd have gone with them for a long, long time. Now I'm on to Lexus and BMW.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:56 PM
SwaxStar33

IMHO, Acura has taken a HUGE stumble in their entire product line for sedans. I would not want to own an ILX, TLX or RLX. And I've owned five Acuras and two Hondas. I'd have gone with them for a long, long time. Now I'm on to Lexus and BMW.
Preach! I've looked at used red sport Infiniti q50's, and some of the lexus f-sports. My Brother went and got a 2014 BMW m5 with the competition package, and now my car drives like a Snapper lawn mower compared to that! Apples and oranges I know, I know.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Better, but not good...

Originally Posted by tmitch2315
Surprised that a 2016 has that problem. Thought it was just the '15s. I had my early '15 transmission replaced about 15,000 miles ago and it has been great. Replacement is the only solution.
The 2016 is not as bad as the 2015, but this ZF 9spd appears to have a serious design flaw. I don't know why the 2-3 is the worst of the shifts and some 2-3 shifts are smooth, but during many low acceleration situations (like accelerating from a stop and turning a corner, or in a parking lot) i get this jolting 2-3 shift. It appears Acura has given up on trying to make any more software workarounds, so now it is just a matter of how long I decide to live with this before switching brands. A shame, as I love much about the car, especially the SH-AWD. But, this hard shifting just really annoys me.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:25 AM
Summer is Coming

One way to get a new transmission. I could only be so lucky.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just started my 500 mile journey to a replacement transmission. The TCM software update and 'relearn' doesn't appear to have changed anything after driving my new-to-me TLX home. I dropped the car off yesterday morning and specifically asked for a 2018 V6 TLX loaner to cross compare. The difference was nearly night and day for gears 1-4. I emailed my service rep about this TSB knowing my TLX was already included. She didn't hesitate and got the first part done without further discussion.

I guess I'll check back in here once I get closer to 500 miles, which will be 5-6 weeks with my regular commute to the bus stop
Old 04-26-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by brinox
Just started my 500 mile journey to a replacement transmission. The TCM software update and 'relearn' doesn't appear to have changed anything after driving my new-to-me TLX home. I dropped the car off yesterday morning and specifically asked for a 2018 V6 TLX loaner to cross compare. The difference was nearly night and day for gears 1-4. I emailed my service rep about this TSB knowing my TLX was already included. She didn't hesitate and got the first part done without further discussion.

I guess I'll check back in here once I get closer to 500 miles, which will be 5-6 weeks with my regular commute to the bus stop
It's a travesty that Acura is making people jump through any hoops at all. Should be as simple as you bring it up, VIN is in the range, replacement tranny is shipped. Acura KNOWS the SW updates, relearns, etc. don't work. They are just trying to wear down customers in the hopes that some of them give up and they can save the replacement cost. That's the only real purpose for this process. It's shameful.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:36 AM
Summer is Coming

It's a travesty that Acura is making people jump through any hoops at all. Should be as simple as you bring it up, VIN is in the range, replacement tranny is shipped. Acura KNOWS the SW updates, relearns, etc. don't work. They are just trying to wear down customers in the hopes that some of them give up and they can save the replacement cost. That's the only real purpose for this process. It's shameful.
This is exactly right. Acura doesn't give a damn about their customers. Maybe I shouldn't really expect them to. After all, we are just a source of cash for them. I think the only reason they did anything at all about the transmission is so they can claim they addressed it. But here is a 3 year old car that is just now getting a replacement. Their reputation has certainly taken a hit, this lip service won't do anything to change that.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:11 AM
2015 Advance

Acura finally replaced my 2015 TLX transmission about 2 months ago (around 47k miles then). I had the hard (written up as "harsh" in the service order) shift between 2-3 for all modes - economy, sport, manual, whatever. It took about 10 days, but the dealer gave me a loaner car so I didn't really care. I told them about the transmission problem every time I took the car to them.

I have a bunch of other problems that Acura claims they can't replicate - occasional inability to change seat heater/cooler after using remote start, frequently touching the door handle won't unlock the car with the fob literally less than 3' from the handle (and same with pushing the button to lock it), adaptive cruise control slamming on brakes for no reason, or disabling itself and only re-enabling by rebooting the car, bluetooth locking up, and the touch screen not responding. I'm also getting a rattle from the sub-woofer which the dealer claims they can't reproduce.

I think the whole electrical system is filled with bugs and they can't/won't figure them out.

Since I have AcuraCare to 100K miles (will probably hit that in 2 years), I'll keep bugging them every time I take the car in.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
They are paying the price. Consumer Reports has listed the TLX and the ILX as cars to stay away from. Reliability and poor rating by owners/reviewers. Sad because since I got the new Transmission the car has been great. Now have about 15000 on the replacement and no complaints. I saw the cost to replace and it was about $4000 total.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Honestly even the *upgraded* transmission is still abysmal and a complete joke for a car this expensive - a honda civic shifts smoother and gets better power delivery. I just came from the Acura dealer - I leased an A-spec in February and part of the deal was remote start which was installed today. I had an MDX loaner. That thing is a beast, and the power delivery blows the TLX out of the water. Acura is capable of making a great vehicle, they simply chose not to with the TLX. I look forward to the Type S supposedly packing 400hp, but honestly if they can't get a decent trans program it won't be worth a dime. The current power loss thru the 9 speed has got to be embarrasing. The car doesn't drive at all like its got 300 ponies under the hood. That old saying about buying Japanese and leasing German is due to be flipped
Old 05-04-2018, 05:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by rochester_eric
Acura finally replaced my 2015 TLX transmission about 2 months ago (around 47k miles then). I had the hard (written up as "harsh" in the service order) shift between 2-3 for all modes - economy, sport, manual, whatever. It took about 10 days, but the dealer gave me a loaner car so I didn't really care. I told them about the transmission problem every time I took the car to them.

I have a bunch of other problems that Acura claims they can't replicate - occasional inability to change seat heater/cooler after using remote start, frequently touching the door handle won't unlock the car with the fob literally less than 3' from the handle (and same with pushing the button to lock it), adaptive cruise control slamming on brakes for no reason, or disabling itself and only re-enabling by rebooting the car, bluetooth locking up, and the touch screen not responding. I'm also getting a rattle from the sub-woofer which the dealer claims they can't reproduce.

I think the whole electrical system is filled with bugs and they can't/won't figure them out.

Since I have AcuraCare to 100K miles (will probably hit that in 2 years), I'll keep bugging them every time I take the car in.
These don't sound like common complaints. The on'y time I have an issue with the fob is when my phone is between the car and my fob. Like it is in my backpack and the phone is on my right waist. Also, if my fingers are around the back side of the door handle while I try to lock it, it won't lock. But it sounds like you have issues I haven't seen on Acurazine before. Have you checked your battery? Some owners had a faulty rear wheel speed sensor casing issues with the electrical system.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Instructor

I agree that this is just a stall tactic and some/most drivers/owners aren't going to hold Acura to it, or don't even think the rough shifts are a significant problem. I noticed it and thought it was a fluke while I was searching for a replacement car. Lucky for me I'm working with a steller service technician. We were already on the same page with the TCM firmware update and minimum 500 mile drive relearn period. It didn't change anything

I dropped it off this past Monday for my state's imported VIN inspection and made her aware that I completed the 500 miles and nothing really changed. After the dealership had someone important enough drive my TLX, she got back to me today saying I've been approved for a transmission replacement and they're working on parts to provide a timeline. The long and the short of this for me is that I'm glad I didn't really have to show any teeth to get the replacement. At least not yet...
Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 AM
SwaxStar33

Originally Posted by brinox
I agree that this is just a stall tactic and some/most drivers/owners aren't going to hold Acura to it, or don't even think the rough shifts are a significant problem. I noticed it and thought it was a fluke while I was searching for a replacement car. Lucky for me I'm working with a steller service technician. We were already on the same page with the TCM firmware update and minimum 500 mile drive relearn period. It didn't change anything

I dropped it off this past Monday for my state's imported VIN inspection and made her aware that I completed the 500 miles and nothing really changed. After the dealership had someone important enough drive my TLX, she got back to me today saying I've been approved for a transmission replacement and they're working on parts to provide a timeline. The long and the short of this for me is that I'm glad I didn't really have to show any teeth to get the replacement. At least not yet...
Mine has been at my local Acura dealership for almost a month. I've been driving a 2018 TLX in the meantime, and I can honestly say the car drives almost exactly like my 2015 that's currently having the transmission replaced. I've used this month to look for another car. I'm hoping to get my car back and the way it drives will change my mind, talk me off the ledge, but I am highly skeptical. We shall see...
Old 05-10-2018, 05:12 PM
2015 Advance

These don't sound like common complaints. The on'y time I have an issue with the fob is when my phone is between the car and my fob. Like it is in my backpack and the phone is on my right waist. Also, if my fingers are around the back side of the door handle while I try to lock it, it won't lock. But it sounds like you have issues I haven't seen on Acurazine before. Have you checked your battery? Some owners had a faulty rear wheel speed sensor casing issues with the electrical system.
I replaced the fob battery once and they replaced the fob battery once. The car knows I'm nearby - the puddle lights always turn on when I'm approaching the car. I've tried the fob in my front pocket, in my right hand, left hand, back pocket, backpack, everywhere. No difference. They replaced the handle once, but I think the problem might be farther upstream in the electronics. One time the service tech saw me push the lock button 3 times before the car finally locked.

My wife keeps telling me to get another car (mostly because a black TLX seems invisible to drivers). I can't tell you how many times people cut me off, pull out in front of me, or just drive stupid around my car. Maybe fire-engine red next time...
Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 AM
10th Gear

Great news. After putting it off and putting it off, I finally took my early-build 2015 TLX into the dealer and told them about the harsh 2-3 shift. I made them aware that I knew about TSB 15-040 and that Acura would probably require that they first do a software update and that I drive 500 miles before anything else was done (even though they had previously done an update in connection with a recall matter involving a different issue). Lo and behold, after an hour and a half the service rep came back and said that they would ask Acura to approve replacing the transmission, which Acura did the next day. They gave me a 2018 TLX as a loaner (its shifts were sleeky smooth). I picked up my car with its new transmission this morning, and the difference in shifting was obvious.

Many thanks to everyone who posted the great info about the TSB's dealing with the shifting issue. I was very pleased with how quickly the dealer (Vandergriff Acura in Arlington, Texas; service rep was Gil Torres) handled the matter, and I highly recommend them to anyone else in the area who has the 2-3 problem.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlstx
Great news. After putting it off and putting it off, I finally took my early-build 2015 TLX into the dealer and told them about the harsh 2-3 shift. I made them aware that I knew about TSB 15-040 and that Acura would probably require that they first do a software update and that I drive 500 miles before anything else was done (even though they had previously done an update in connection with a recall matter involving a different issue). Lo and behold, after an hour and a half the service rep came back and said that they would ask Acura to approve replacing the transmission, which Acura did the next day. They gave me a 2018 TLX as a loaner (its shifts were sleeky smooth). I picked up my car with its new transmission this morning, and the difference in shifting was obvious.

Many thanks to everyone who posted the great info about the TSB's dealing with the shifting issue. I was very pleased with how quickly the dealer (Vandergriff Acura in Arlington, Texas; service rep was Gil Torres) handled the matter, and I highly recommend them to anyone else in the area who has the 2-3 problem.
That's music to my ears! I'm about to head out and go pickup my '15 TLX with the remanufactured transmission this afternoon. hearing about how others have been waiting weeks for their replacement to get fitted, I'm glad I got mine in and out in less than a week. I'm not trying to throw salt into others' wounds though. I'm just glad it was a quick turnaround =)

I've been driving an MDX in the meantime and I'm really looking forward to getting back into a regular sedan-sized car. I'll be reporting back after a couple days. Stay tuned.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the all-to-common rough shift '15 TLX SH-AWD Advance and the link: ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars in nebula's 11-03-2014 05:01 post (that I thought would shed some early light on the transmission) gives me a 'Database Error'.

Is this valuable / covered elsewhere?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Instructor

After driving the refurbished transmission for almost a week, I'm very pleased with the TLX now. I'm over who pays attention to detail and I would wager to say there was something wrong with the initial run if these 9HP transmissions than what Acura or anyone else is copping to.

The shifts are now very smooth and expected. In addition to that, I feel like some of the hesitation and odd torque peaks in fears1-4 are gone. Acceleration feels A LOT more expected and powerful. Overall, I think this purchase a month ago was workw it for me, and the shifting problem really took away from it for me, until now!

I encourage everyone affected by the harsh shifting to go talk to your Acura dealer and reference this TSB. If anything, it will be good resale value when that time comes.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by INOV8TN
I have the all-to-common rough shift '15 TLX SH-AWD Advance and the link: ZF's 9-Speed 9HP Transmission Puts Dog Clutches On The Leash - The Truth About Cars in nebula's 11-03-2014 05:01 post (that I thought would shed some early light on the transmission) gives me a 'Database Error'.

Is this valuable / covered elsewhere?
The dog clutches have nothing to do with the hard 2-3 shift that Acura and ZF are replacing transmissions for. Dog clutches are for shifts between 4-5 and 7-8. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference between a regular shift and a dog clutch shift. The transmission in my TLX was replaced and the 2-3 hard shift was gone. My biggest complaint with this transmission is the slow downshifting because this transmission will not skip gears when downshifting.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I just read that Honda is making "significant refinements to its 9-speed automatic transmission" for the FY 2019 Pilot. Refreshed 2019 Pilot and HR-V to Further Strengthen Award-Winning Honda SUV Lineup - Honda News

I wonder what changes have been made and whether this means Honda is finally acknowledging that there were problems with the 9-speed automatic transmission.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:30 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
It's probably marketing speak for some software tweaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3