2016 TLX AWD Tech Package - Rough Low Gear Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:53 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 TLX AWD Tech Package - Rough Low Gear Shifting

I just bought a new 2016 TLX last week and it seems like in rolling traffic at around 15-20 MPH, you can really feel the gear shifting and it almost feels like the car is resisting movement (but is moving). It's gotten so bad that when coming home in rush hour traffic, I'm getting minor motion sickness.

I brought it up to my sales associate when I went to pick up my registration a few days after I picked up my car and he said that it was because of the 9 speed transmission and it was something I would get used to.

I'm reading all these horror stories in which there were transmission software issues, but these should have been fixed in the 2016 model.

Does anyone have this issue and know of a fix?

I'm trying all different types of IDS modes, and turning off traction control, and turning off auto idle stop trying to see if that makes a difference, but it might be too early to tell.

I pinged the Service Department tonight to see what they would say.

If you could share your experiences or fixes, that would be great.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Well, there is the rough shifting that Acura has failed to solve in many of our cars, but in others have chosen to replace the transmission which seems to fix the problem in almost all cases I've seen on this forum.

But that shifting issue was generally accepted to be in the 2015 models. I don't know if I've heard of a 2016 having the same problem, although I've heard people say even the 2016's shift weird.... just without the "thud" 2nd-to-3rd gear many of us 2015 victims experienced.

If it's the thump many of us have experienced or are experiencing, no, it's not normal, and pray they decide your transmission will get replaced.

You've probably already seen the mega thread, but : https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...-2-3-a-919230/
Old 06-08-2016, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

I have a tlx AWD Elite built in April 2016. Especially in Sport or Sport Plus Mode, I feel apparent laziness in lower speed. One obvious case is when the car is in downshift ramp. All my other cars behave like a free run if I don't press the brake. In TLX car, it is sticky and slow and easily overtaken by other cars behind me in other lanes. I don't know if it is normal case for 9 speed transmission.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:54 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies. I scheduled an appointment with the service department this Saturday. I'll let you guys know what they say.

I'm going to be pretty irate if they say that there is no issue and that the car is supposed to behave that way. It's also VERY disappointing that I have to deal with this issue on a brand new car.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:53 AM
4th Gear

Just wanted to give an update to my experience for anyone else having this issue....

I went to the dealership yesterday and they ran tests saying that everything normal. I was adamant about it not being normal and it being unsafe. They kept stressing that it was because it was a 9 speed transmission and it took some time to get used to and what I was experiencing was normal. I disagreed and eventually the service tech went back into the computer and then said they could try to reset the PCM.

After resetting the PCM, they said the tests were the same, but when I drove it afterwards I felt that the reset actually improved the smoothness of the car especially with the jerkiness I was experiencing in the lower gears.

Hope this helps other people.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Unfortunately, you may find that the transmission "reverts" to its old behavior after it "learns" your driving style. That has happened to a number of us.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:13 AM
10th Gear

How do they reset the PCM? anyone know?
Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 PM
4th Gear

No clue how they reset the PCM. I think they might just unplug the battery and let it sit for awhile?

I'm actually glad to report that the transmission did not revert to its old behavior after now having driven it for close to 1000 miles. Prior to resetting the PCM, the car really pulled in that sense that when it downshifted, my body could feel the g-force.

It's still not perfect, but it's definitely a lot more relieving to know that the problem is much much better now.