2015 TLX I4 Rumble Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 TLX I4 Rumble Noise

Hey Guys,

I have a 2015 TLX I4 with 20K miles on it. Within the last 2,000 miles, I began noticing a distinct rumbling noise, similar in sound to driving a stick shift car and putting it in 1 to 2 gears higher than it should be for the given speed. This rumble is most prevalent between 40-60mph with engine RPM in the 1500 to 2000 ball park.

I have read through other threads where guys with RDX's and TL's were experiencing the exact symptoms I am describing - the culprits being a combination of tires, VCM, and propellor shaft assembly. I have replaced the stock LS2's with Pirelli P7's which improved the loudness of the rumble significantly, but it is still there nonetheless.

My question is: Are there any I4 TLX owners experiencing these same symptoms? If so, what was your course of action? I have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday but my fear is they will return my car stating "we could not replicate the problem". While the rumble noise is certainly bearable in the short term, I would not want to deal with this long term as it really annoys me.

Thanks,

Neil
Old 02-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I can't say that I've experienced what your feeling, only major problem I have is a clunk going from reverse to drive on cold start ups. I wish you the best of luck with your dealership.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:17 AM
Intermediate

The more I drive the car and listen to the sound, the more I am thinking it's the rear wheel bearings... I will make sure the dealership test drives the car. I'll report back with what they say.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by neil4
The more I drive the car and listen to the sound, the more I am thinking it's the rear wheel bearings... I will make sure the dealership test drives the car. I'll report back with what they say.
Mine had the left rear wheel bearing go out at 6000 miles. They replaced it.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
How can wheel bearings can go out so rapidly?!?!? *sheesh*
Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Robs252
Mine had the left rear wheel bearing go out at 6000 miles. They replaced it.
While I hate to say it, I am glad to hear I am not the only one. I am no master mechanic but I have experienced bad wheel bearings in other cars and this has all the calling cards. I am just astounded that a brand new car with only 20K miles needs new wheel bearings. I guess if yours went out at 6K miles, I should be happy mine lasted 20K
Old 02-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by weather
How can wheel bearings can go out so rapidly?!?!? *sheesh*
I want to know the same thing... I have a 2001 TL that went 230K miles before the wheel bearings needed to be replaced. Apparently those same high quality bearings were NOT put in my new TLX.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I want to know the same thing... I have a 2001 TL that went 230K miles before the wheel bearings needed to be replaced. Apparently those same high quality bearings were NOT put in my new TLX.
Sold my 03 TL-S with 255k on it. Never needed bearings. Have 16k on my TLX I4. We shall see. So far so good.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,425 Posts
it's very possible that you got 1 of thousands of wheel bearings that failed early on!

Have you tried downshifting a gear while on Cruise Control to see if the noise changes in pitch? If the noise changes pitch then it's engine related.

If the noise does not change, it's probably the tires/wheels/drivetrain.

Are you having any sort of odd wear on your tires?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
it's very possible that you got 1 of thousands of wheel bearings that failed early on!

Have you tried downshifting a gear while on Cruise Control to see if the noise changes in pitch? If the noise changes pitch then it's engine related.

Mine sounded like one of those monster trucks with huge tires
Old 03-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by csmeance

Initially, I thought it might be engine/drive train related so began playing with the paddle shifters. It did not matter what gear I put the car in, the sound stayed constant. I even put the car in neutral and coasted it down a large hill - the sound remained and was just as loud.

My first step was to yank the stock LS 2's off, thinking it was tire related. I put a set of Pirelli P7's on, balanced, and 4 wheel alignment - sound remained.

As I am sitting here typing the dealership called me. My suspicion was correct: driver side rear wheel bearing was shot. They did not have an explanation as to why it failed, simply that they have rush ordered a new wheel bearing and should have it done by tomorrow.

I asked the tech how the passenger rear wheel bearing looked and he said it was fine - but time will be the true test. Part of me wanted them to replace the passenger side as well but understandable so, they can only cover it under warranty if it is indeed defective - which as of right its not. Hopefully I won't have to make another trip to the dealer at the 40K mark

Hopefully this defective rear wheel bearing is not a wide spread issue for the rest of the TLX owners.

Neil
Old 03-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Initially, I thought it might be engine/drive train related so began playing with the paddle shifters. It did not matter what gear I put the car in, the sound stayed constant. I even put the car in neutral and coasted it down a large hill - the sound remained and was just as loud.

My first step was to yank the stock LS 2's off, thinking it was tire related. I put a set of Pirelli P7's on, balanced, and 4 wheel alignment - sound remained.

As I am sitting here typing the dealership called me. My suspicion was correct: driver side rear wheel bearing was shot. They did not have an explanation as to why it failed, simply that they have rush ordered a new wheel bearing and should have it done by tomorrow.

I asked the tech how the passenger rear wheel bearing looked and he said it was fine - but time will be the true test. Part of me wanted them to replace the passenger side as well but understandable so, they can only cover it under warranty if it is indeed defective - which as of right its not. Hopefully I won't have to make another trip to the dealer at the 40K mark

Hopefully this defective rear wheel bearing is not a wide spread issue for the rest of the TLX owners.

Neil
It was the drivers side on mine also...