SprintBooster

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
I really do feel like it is worth it for every car I own in the future as well as current. One thing I did notice is that it changes part and mid level throttle. If on the freeway to get full throttle you actual have to press the throttle all the way to the floor to get it to drop to lowest possible gear depending on what speed one is going. If you only press 80-90% of the way it won’t be considered full throttle. This is not noticeable around town but on the freeway it is. I falsely assumed in a previous post that about 1/2 throttle or 3/4 throttle it would be full throttle but again i think it only adjusts part and mid level throttle input. Still worth it though. Glad you like it.

I know for some reason some individuals hate feeling like one has to resort to this type of device to eliminate most of the lag but it is not a gimmick. Yes the dog tooth gears in the transmission from 5-4 or lower downshift sucks but if throttle input can be modulated effectively enough to keep you in 4th or lower around town driving like 55 and under then the “lag” is not even present. Too bad Acura did not fix this for this model I really think they programmed the computer to be as efficient as possible and use as high a gear as possible for gas mileage. Even in sport + mode the computer will adjust and the rev hang and lowest possible gear programming goes away and it feels more like sport mode. I know that some do not believe this but after driving in sport + mode for 3+ years 90% of the time it only takes a few days for this adjustment to happen.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 07-02-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Racer

The manual says NOT to do what the following will contain.

i pressed the throttle a smidge while the booster was off then I turned it on while still pressing it. Yes it does shorten it even further but be careful if the “zero” is set too much you could let off the throttle and it will still accelerate which could be extremely dangerous.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 07-07-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:01 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
Installed the V3 in my 2015 SH-AWD TLX last week, been driving it the past week, it has really changed how the car drives and feels. The car definitely should have came this way from the factory. I have mines set on Race 7.
The following users liked this post:
Temp_A-Spec (07-09-2019)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:22 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with install

I just got it today and had trouble with the installation. I removed the screws to the plastic piece to the right of the throttle but still can’t reach the clip(hands too big)
Does anyone in here have any tips on how you got it on?
Old 11-07-2018, 02:20 PM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
hey, my hands are pretty skinny i was able to get up there and remove the stock plug without removing any screws. If you have the base model it will have more room down there. the aspec has some extra wires that need to be pushed to the side.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:40 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kuzdu
hey, my hands are pretty skinny i was able to get up there and remove the stock plug without removing any screws. If you have the base model it will have more room down there. the aspec has some extra wires that need to be pushed to the side.
oh great lol I have the aspec and it feels impossible. I’m now trying to figure out how to get the throttle pedal out. That or ask my 8yr old daughter to get in there and hope she doesn’t accidentally mess up the pins
Old 11-07-2018, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
I wasn't able to get the accelerator pedal out without removing some ducting. I didn't want to do all of that so just kept at it and finally got it.

Not going to lie. I am not looking forward to removing it when it goes back after lease end in 20 months.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:53 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Terdbath
I wasn't able to get the accelerator pedal out without removing some ducting. I didn't want to do all of that so just kept at it and finally got it.

Not going to lie. I am not looking forward to removing it when it goes back after lease end in 20 months.
Is it worth it? Do you feel the difference
Old 11-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Styl1n

world of difference, I would have never kept the car without it. keep trying you will eventually get the connector off, I did it for a couple of people and takes me less than 5 min now on our cars if you are in NYC you're welcome to stop by i will put it in for you
Christopher. (04-11-2019)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:20 PM
7th Gear

I am actually. I’m gonna try it again but if I can’t that would be awesome if you could lend a hand. Where are you located
Old 11-07-2018, 11:35 PM
Racer

I have big hands and I have done it twice between 2 cars. I had to hang upside down with my feet up over the headrest and my head down in the footwell. It was a pain in the ass to install but worth it. Don’t give up. Also don’t forget to pull off the white cap (cover) both times I installed it the two cars I couldn’t press fit it together then I realized I had to pull the cover off (dunce). Also I had to remove the screws and plastic peace and even then my hand felt too big. Luckily I was able to complete it after about 20 minutes.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:15 AM
7th Gear

I just tried that method and it helped a little but I still couldn’t get a good grip to unclip it. Spent about 20min in that position. If anyone’s in the nyc area that can help I’m buying lunch
Old 11-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kkan1000

Is it worth it? Do you feel the difference
Yes, its a very noticeable difference. I was skeptical at first but now I don't think I could drive this car without it. It rockets out of a stoplight up to posted speed limits.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by kkan1000
I just tried that method and it helped a little but I still couldn’t get a good grip to unclip it. Spent about 20min in that position. If anyone’s in the nyc area that can help I’m buying lunch
im in Hollis queens, if you wanna come by Saturday morning can help you out. Pm me your cell number and i will txt you mine.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 AM
7th Gear

Thanks again to kuzdu for helping out.. this thing really makes a difference. Especially once you get out on the highway. Def worth the money and once you get it installed lol
Old 11-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Styl1n

Anytime man, the red on red is really nice. Have fun with the sprint booster it’s def worth it
Old 03-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
HELP! I’m trying to install my Sprint Booster. I can’t unplug the cable from my accelerator. The main problem is that the clip is on the right side and I can’t see what action I have to make to loosen it. Do I push the whole back of the clip, or am I pushing down from the top of the clip? I can’t see it, so can’t tell. Bonus forum points for a picture of the plug. 2018 TLX if it helps. UGH

Edit: I did it! Enclosed is a picture of the backside of the plug. I reached around with my left hand while lying under the steering wheel on my back. I pressed the top of the plug and used my left hand to start wiggling it off. I used a thin trim piece remover to push the plug off.

I’ve already test driven the car in Sport and Race mode. I hate any delay, so I am keeping it on Race mode 9. It really, really works! Minimal discernible throttle delay!!!! No more hang and delay when turning right. Were my transmission complaints actually throttle response complaints? The car should have come from the factory with this low a throttle response. I am a believer, so far.

Last edited by neuronbob; 03-16-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Christopher. (04-11-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Styl1n

SprintBooster is a game changer : ) I'm Glad everyone loves it, it will be going in the Type S when it does come out
Old 03-22-2019, 02:17 PM
Racer

I thought it was a gimmick at first but it just plain works!

Just got back from a 1600 mile vacation to Florida and back in my wife's 2016 Pilot. It has the same 3.5 V-6 although its 10 less horsepower, pulls more weight, and has a 6 speed trans vs 9 but getting back in my car was a real treat with the huge change in acceleration and shift speed.
Temp_A-Spec (07-09-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
...No more hang and delay when turning right. Were my transmission complaints actually throttle response complaints? The car should have come from the factory with this low a throttle response. I am a believer, so far.
In a fresh, stock TLX, without Traction Control turned off, the power cut after you slow down then turn - it's CRAZY - Honda engineers took it too far, don't know what they were thinking!!! Happened to me turning left, going accross the path of oncoming traffic, if I was a particularly nervous person (I'm not) I imagine I might have pooed in my pants!
Temp_A-Spec (07-09-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Update after three months...after lots of experimenting, I have found that the best setting for me is Race (red) mode 7. Over that and the throttle is just too touchy, and below that, the throttle response is not enough. The Sport (green) modes are too close to stock to enjoy the car. I still have a rare moment when turning sharply right while in mid-throttle, where the throttle doesn't respond...but it tuns out to be a delay of less than a second, then the transmission downshifts. Overall, a major improvement in the driveability of the car. I wish I'd purchased the SprintBooster at the time of my leasing this car, it would have eliminated a lot of my complaining about the transmission. Better late than never, though, right?
Old 06-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Styl1n

Update after three months...after lots of experimenting, I have found that the best setting for me is Race (red) mode 7. Over that and the throttle is just too touchy, and below that, the throttle response is not enough. The Sport (green) modes are too close to stock to enjoy the car. I still have a rare moment when turning sharply right while in mid-throttle, where the throttle doesn't respond...but it tuns out to be a delay of less than a second, then the transmission downshifts. Overall, a major improvement in the driveability of the car. I wish I'd purchased the SprintBooster at the time of my leasing this car, it would have eliminated a lot of my complaining about the transmission. Better late than never, though, right?
Sounds good man, still running strong on my car
Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What's the model for the 2018 TLX V6 ASPEC to get? And what VCM Muzzler model do you have to help make it even better?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by Temp_A-Spec
What's the model for the 2018 TLX V6 ASPEC to get? And what VCM Muzzler model do you have to help make it even better?
This is the model I have SBAC0023S – Sprint Booster Select V3 and I have the muzzler 2 with the red resister on. Haven't touched it since it was on the car.
TX_BB (07-18-2020)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I've found that some of the most fun I can have (SprintBooster or not) is when I'm already rolling at a moderately slow speed and downshift (usually twice) to pop the engine up to ~4,500 RPM then floor it and the car takes off with the kind of thrust that I can't quite usually get out of the TLX - it's still not on par with a good V8 engine RWD car, but it's fun at least.

I still have a rare moment when turning sharply right while in mid-throttle, where the throttle doesn't respond..
I've found that turning off Traction Control eliminates that problem for me - also, I recently learned that turning "off" Traction Control only affects it at speeds under 40MPH, so I'm no longer concerned about having it off being a safety issue, in fact, I feel significantly safer with it off, which I now do basically automatically every time I get into my TLX.

Last edited by Christopher.; 07-10-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:11 PM
sur
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I've got a 2018 v6 a-spec. I felt like the throttle response was great right out of the box, as long as you leave it in Sport or + mode. All feedback I read about the device was positive. I figured, hey, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I wanted to share some of my thoughts and descriptions of the performance of the device compared over stock.

After much sweat, some blood, and a few tears, I got it installed a few days ago. I could immediately notice the difference. It's similar to the difference when in eco vs when in sport mode. Previous to this car I had a 04 v6 6 speed accord. It had raw power you could feel at any speed. The TLX has that same power, it just seems to come on a little slower and less jarring - makes sense for being more of a luxury sedan. The sprint booster has the ability to fine tune to power delivery and make it more similar to the mechanical feel I was used to.

The throttle is still super responsive. Where I'm noticing it is the amount of power that can be quickly put down to the wheels, especially at lower speeds. Pressing down the throttle ~10% with SB installed is similar to ~40% throttle when stock.That is of course dependent on the settings you have the SB running at. I find myself accelerating normally from stop lights and then glancing behind me and seeing all the cars behind left in the dust, whoops. One of my first drives I took a right hand turn and have it a little gas and heard the tires chirp haha. The acceleration between 20-50+ mph is drastically difference. It's almost like a low boost turbo installed. Foot to the ground, the car rips, stock or not. Where I really see the difference is in the quick application of power to the road.

One other point to bring up.. It may be unrelated, since the car is still new to me and was purchased CPO with 9k miles. Maybe the car is still adapting to my driving style. Anyway, I always noticed the 1-2 shift was a little harsh. Nothing too bad, but all other gear changes were butter smooth.There didn't seem to be much difference in this no matter the amount of throttle I was giving it. After the SB was installed, I really don't notice this anymore. I wasn't thinking this would affect gear changes, but it really seems to be different now. The 1-2 shifts are now really smooth. Again, maybe due to other factors, but I can feel the difference.

I honestly didn't think I was missing out on much before getting this. I'm glad I did. I highly, highly, recommend this for all owners. I think earlier in this thread is where someone posted a video with the SB guys doing a comparison example showing pedal input in relation to how quickly the throttle body opens up. This is what made the most sense to me and made it all click in my head on how this thing actually works. Recommend anyone considering this product to watch that video too. God, I always type a lot, sorry... Great product thought! Thanks for the recommendations guys!
Kro (08-22-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sur
I've got a 2018 v6 a-spec. I felt like the throttle response was great right out of the box, as long as you leave it in Sport or + mode. All feedback I read about the device was positive. I figured, hey, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I wanted to share some of my thoughts and descriptions of the performance of the device compared over stock.

After much sweat, some blood, and a few tears, I got it installed a few days ago. I could immediately notice the difference. It's similar to the difference when in eco vs when in sport mode. Previous to this car I had a 04 v6 6 speed accord. It had raw power you could feel at any speed. The TLX has that same power, it just seems to come on a little slower and less jarring - makes sense for being more of a luxury sedan. The sprint booster has the ability to fine tune to power delivery and make it more similar to the mechanical feel I was used to.

The throttle is still super responsive. Where I'm noticing it is the amount of power that can be quickly put down to the wheels, especially at lower speeds. Pressing down the throttle ~10% with SB installed is similar to ~40% throttle when stock.That is of course dependent on the settings you have the SB running at. I find myself accelerating normally from stop lights and then glancing behind me and seeing all the cars behind left in the dust, whoops. One of my first drives I took a right hand turn and have it a little gas and heard the tires chirp haha. The acceleration between 20-50+ mph is drastically difference. It's almost like a low boost turbo installed. Foot to the ground, the car rips, stock or not. Where I really see the difference is in the quick application of power to the road.

One other point to bring up.. It may be unrelated, since the car is still new to me and was purchased CPO with 9k miles. Maybe the car is still adapting to my driving style. Anyway, I always noticed the 1-2 shift was a little harsh. Nothing too bad, but all other gear changes were butter smooth.There didn't seem to be much difference in this no matter the amount of throttle I was giving it. After the SB was installed, I really don't notice this anymore. I wasn't thinking this would affect gear changes, but it really seems to be different now. The 1-2 shifts are now really smooth. Again, maybe due to other factors, but I can feel the difference.

I honestly didn't think I was missing out on much before getting this. I'm glad I did. I highly, highly, recommend this for all owners. I think earlier in this thread is where someone posted a video with the SB guys doing a comparison example showing pedal input in relation to how quickly the throttle body opens up. This is what made the most sense to me and made it all click in my head on how this thing actually works. Recommend anyone considering this product to watch that video too. God, I always type a lot, sorry... Great product thought! Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Now add the S-VCM Muzzler and feel all the power all the time with no delay and enjoy the IAS no longer working as a byproduct which is an added bonus. Those both are the best combo for this car I feel and I’m very happy now.

If you want the car to learn your driving style simple floor the gas with the car off and press the start button one time to put the car into accessory mode (don’t step on the brake) and hold the gas pedal to the floor for about 1 min. Then start the car and drive. That resets the transmission adaption and it will relearn your driving style.
The following 2 users liked this post by Temp_A-Spec:
sur (08-09-2019), TX_BB (07-18-2020)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:09 PM
sur
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Temp_A-Spec
Now add the S-VCM Muzzler and feel all the power all the time with no delay and enjoy the IAS no longer working as a byproduct which is an added bonus. Those both are the best combo for this car I feel and I’m very happy now.

If you want the car to learn your driving style simple floor the gas with the car off and press the start button one time to put the car into accessory mode (don’t step on the brake) and hold the gas pedal to the floor for about 1 min. Then start the car and drive. That resets the transmission adaption and it will relearn your driving style.
Already have the muzzler purchased and just waiting for it show up! Can't wait!
Old 09-06-2019, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Hey Guys,

So, i'm thoroughly happy with my car, i love it. And i do notice the laggy throttle, but i've learned to accept it and still love the car. I have a 2019 TLX SH-AWD Aspec. Still farily new, and it's leased, but plan on buying it out due to the mileage i drive. So, my car modding days are done, however, this Sprint Booster thing sounds like a real game changer. I'm just reluctant because i'm afraid of my Check Engine light and throwing any codes and affecting warranty etc. Can anybody confirm that they've installed this on a V6 AWD Aspec? And any issues with throwing any codes or lights etc? Last thing i want is to mess up the computer, and having the dealer deny any warranty claim etc. I would seriously consider picking up one of these. Also, anybody in Canada running one of these on their TLX? Any issues in cold climate etc? Thanks in advance for the feedback. Hoping the feedback will make me feel a bit more at ease with installing one of these.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Hi,

I have been running the latest SB on my 18 ASpec TLX V6 and have no complaints at all. Sure helps out a ton. The S-VCM muzzler is another great item that makes it even better over the regular VCM units you see for sale. I love this combo and wish I done it sooner.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Racer

No codes are tripped. Buy it and try it. If you don't like it you can send it back for a full refund. That was my mindset when I bought one. Once I put it on I couldn't imagine sending it back.

A few weeks ago I noticed my car was feeling sluggish. Kind of like a the change in power on a 4 cylinder car when you turn on the AC. 1st thing I did was check my Sprintbooster and sure enough it was turned off. Reset to Red 9 and back to happy motoring.

I keep my controller where the wireless charging pad is and I bet I accidentally hit the power selector button on accident while storing some items in there.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:28 AM
7th Gear

Is it worth getting a Sprint Booster + VCM blocker when a KTuner can do both + more for the same money? I also trust KTuner more than those other brands.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM
Instructor

The only reason I didn’t go that route is that I was worried the dealer could find a trace of it. I wasn’t sure so I went my route
Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
AFAIK, you still need to find a local tuner for the Ktuner. It's not plug-n-play like the SprintBooster,
Old 09-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Styl1n

Speaking of Ktuner they reached out to me for beta testing, I told them by the end of the week I will setup my paypal account but they said they may have a reflash very soon and to hold on. This is for the 18 and up TLX V6
The following 3 users liked this post by kuzdu:
AcuraPrincess (04-02-2020), Christopher. (09-12-2019), neuronbob (09-18-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:21 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
^Reflash means it's plug and play? I do not have to source a tuner to tune my car after installing Ktuner?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

The SprintBooster is just as hard to remove as it was to install! Was well worth the effort in putting it in. I just traded my TLX for an Accord Sport 2.0T manual. I'll be selling the SprintBooster shortly on the classifieds if anyone is interested, $200.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The SprintBooster is just as hard to remove as it was to install! Was well worth the effort in putting it in. I just traded my TLX for an Accord Sport 2.0T manual. I'll be selling the SprintBooster shortly on the classifieds if anyone is interested, $200.
Classifieds? Sorry still a bit new to the site, but I can definitely take that off your hands if it fits my 17 TLX.
AcuraPrincess (04-02-2020)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Troncoso51
Classifieds? Sorry still a bit new to the site, but I can definitely take that off your hands if it fits my 17 TLX.
Just PM me when ready. Meanwhile, here’s the link to my classies ad. https://acurazine.com/forums/market/984364
Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed the SprintBooster last night, immediately felt the difference in throttle response especially in race mode 9. Drove to work today and it blew me away, getting up to speed on the freeway on ramp was insane. I have not accelerated hard after a right turn yet to see if the lag is still there but I doubt it will be.
Install took like 10 minutes, a little tight but not too bad. Definitely worth the money forsure and definitely how the car should have came from factory.