SH-AWD Resonater question

Old 04-14-2018, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
SH-AWD Resonater question

Does anybody have any idea why the AWD V6 has 2 sets of 2 for the resonators instead of two long resonators?

Googled photo. Not my own.

If not doing a full catback any benifit of welding in single long resonators if one has a HFPC/jpipe combo?

Last edited by ultrapogi; 04-15-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To make people ask questions..

I'm contemplating a res delete. They are pointless IMO!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (04-17-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Racer

Added a vibrant performance 12inch reaonantor

12 inch vibrant performance resonator

HFPC/J-pipe/extra resonator

just had welded in. Took away most of the rasp. Sounds almost stock with a small amount a rasp here and there. Much better. I should have bought the 18” resonator and it May have taken away all of it. I didn’t originally think I had enough room. This now makes me happy.

Total cost $100 part+weld.

If if I get the full catback I think I will automatically buy an 18” resonator and have it on hand to weld in in case of drone or rasp that seeps through xlr8 two large resonators.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 04-23-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Racer

The diameter is 3.5 inch. Anything bigger than maybe 4 inches would probably have to have the exhaust lowered as not to bounce against the body of the car.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:01 AM
6th Gear

Do you have any pictures of the exhaust after the y? I'm trying to figure out what you did. From what I can tell you welded a 3.5 inch pipe from the j pipe and put in the 7 inch cat where the 4 cats were and rejoined them in a y. Did you use the old j pipe or other tubing to separate the exhaust again to be dual exhaust? I don't have any exhaust parts yet but I'm contemplating cutting the resonators out completely. I do plan on getting HFPC, J-Pipe and muffler eventually but I want some added exhaust sound. I was thinking a res delete would be a quick easy thing to do.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Racer

This setup is two RV6 high flow cats from the front and rear cylinder bank that join to the XLR8 j pipe and merge into a single pipe right before the flange. After the flange there is a single 2.25” pipe (stock) that separates into two 1.5” pipes (tiny I know) those two pipes have two sets of two resonators. Why not use two long resonators from the factory??? Who knows?? Then those two go out to the two stock mufflers. I had welding in a 12” additional resosnator because the HFPC/jpipe combo gave me some ugly rasp from 4500-5500rpms. Adding the additional resonator in the single 2.25” pipe section got rid of about 80%+ of the rasp. To reiterate everything from the jpipe back is stock except for that additional resonator on my car. I would strongly advise not doing a resonator delete if you do the HFPC or PCD and Jpipe combo. Why, because the exhaust will sound like ASS with rasp and drone. As you can see from the picture in my hand that resonator is a straight open so it will not hamper flow. I have seen people do a muffler delete with everything before it stock on YouTube and that “sounds” pretty good as long as everything else is stock.

I did this setup for now because it has a good power increase without sounds raspy. Now when I have an additional $1200 bucks then I will decide if I want to get the full catback or stay in sleeper mode.

Last edited by ultrapogi; 04-24-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Racer

Plus with a resonator delete you won’t get any extra power and if so it would be so negligible it wouldn’t be worth it.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ultrapogi
This setup is two RV6 high flow cats from the front and rear cylinder bank that join to the XLR8 j pipe and merge into a single pipe right before the flange. After the flange there is a single 2.25” pipe (stock) that separates into two 1.5” pipes (tiny I know) those two pipes have two sets of two resonators. Why not use two long resonators from the factory??? Who knows?? Then those two go out to the two stock mufflers. I had welding in a 12” additional resosnator because the HFPC/jpipe combo gave me some ugly rasp from 4500-5500rpms. Adding the additional resonator in the single 2.25” pipe section got rid of about 80%+ of the rasp. To reiterate everything from the jpipe back is stock except for that additional resonator on my car. I would strongly advise not doing a resonator delete if you do the HFPC or PCD and Jpipe combo. Why, because the exhaust will sound like ASS with rasp and drone. As you can see from the picture in my hand that resonator is a straight open so it will not hamper flow. I have seen people do a muffler delete with everything before it stock on YouTube and that “sounds” pretty good as long as everything else is stock.

I did this setup for now because it has a good power increase without sounds raspy. Now when I have an additional $1200 bucks then I will decide if I want to get the full catback or stay in sleeper mode.
Thanks for the write up! I was looking to do something purely for sound right now as I don't have the money to invest in exhaust components. I would do a muffler delete but it is illegal where I live and I'm a year away from having to get another safety. I'm not sure if I would be able to get a cat-back before then. I've also thought about replacing the mufflers and doing a custom cat-back down the line with HFPC and J-Pipe. It's disappointing that such a great sounding car (especially with an intake) is so quiet from behind. Yes I know most of the people that drive these cars are older and want quite cars. You've definitely given me more to contemplate.