RV6 HFPCs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RV6 HFPCs

Be careful when dealing with these guys they do not stand by their product. I recently installed their HFPCs and I started to get error code p2098. that means that bank 2 has an issue (to lean). so i took my time and carefully went over the installation with my mechanic again. we looked at the sensor we looked at the gaskets. We went part by part to find the issue. so then my mechanic said call Rv6 because your cat is working
below threshold. some of the gasses are not burning off.

so then i called Rv6 and the salesmen wanted to pass blame and protect his company. he said its your CAI then he blamed the mechanic then blamed the fact that it was not tuned.

I said ok, then got it tuned via Ktuner with a super good tuner,. I looked at the error codes and it still says (Cat and Evap)

so then i told the salesmen if you guys cant even stand by a product that i just bought less then a month ago then thats a major warning sign and the only way to have it replaced is to just buy another.

well for what its worth I hope all of you have better luck and a better experience then I have. i guess if my car has a issue ill just see them in court. sad.

im not rich or sponsored I save for months then take a chance. then i get F'ed in the A. Thank you rv6
Old 09-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 988 Likes on 746 Posts
I have heard nothing but great things about RV6. Curious if others tune in with the same viewpoint.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
RV6 is a reputable company. Try asking to speak with Richie directly in regards to your issue
Old 09-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
This is the first negative review I've ever seen for RV6. I don't doubt your experience though. Sorry you've had trouble.

I'm very happy with everything I've ever gotten from RV6 including two pairs of HFPC's (one for my 4G TL and one for my old 3G) as well as the jpipe for my 3G. However, I occasionally get the P0430 code, which is the catalyst efficiency below threshold error for the front bank - essentially meaning that the cat isn't fully converting the CO, NOx and unburned fuel like it should. However, it's only maybe once every couple of months so I simply clear it. It's understandable anyway, since the original cat has 900 cells and the HFPC's have 200.

The P2098 is a little more complex than a simple P0430 though. It indicates a lean mixture, which could be the catalytic converter but could also be engine related. A faulty MAF or MAP sensor could do it, which might be the reason the sales guy questioned your CAI. It can also be caused by an exhaust leak - though you said you went over that pretty well.

Did you modify your MAF/MAP sensor when you installed the CAI? I'm assuming the 5G uses a MAF since Acura transitioned from a MAP to a MAF with the 4G. If you did, it could be the culprit. I'd try cleaning it at the very least. How's the engine running otherwise? If it's simply the catalytic converter, you shouldn't see any symptoms with the engine. The downstream O2 sensor is simply to make sure the catalytic converter is functioning correctly. As far as I'm aware, it has no effect on the fuel/air mixture or any engine parameters like the upstream sensor. If the engine isn't running as well or you're getting crummy gas mileage, it's not likely the catalytic converter. In that case, it could be a sensor, vacuum leak, or some other issue.
The following users liked this post:
Elisha Charles Murray (09-27-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry man. Super frustrating to have a problem like this especially on a daily driver. I had one set of HFPC on a 15 for a month with 30,000 miles (on the car) without a problem then put on a brand new 2018 going 4 months now without any problems or codes. Hmm I thought that when people tuned with the HFPC the car was usually running rich. This is the first I have heard of these running lean.
Elisha Charles Murray (09-27-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:40 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
So did you put them OEM intake back on and then see if it was fine???
Old 09-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually had the same problem, not going to put the blame on them though, it could be a lot of things. I went with the PCD's and everything is fine now.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sinistah89
I actually had the same problem, not going to put the blame on them though, it could be a lot of things. I went with the PCD's and everything is fine now.
yes thats an option but i want to pass inspection at some point but good luck to you.

On a better note the rep at RV6 said he would be helpful and ither replace the HFPC or let me down grade to the PCD. of course after i put a 400$ deposit. (returned after they receive their defective product).

In any event its a win for them to learn with their R&D department about what went wrong with their product so nobody has to have this problem.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

How ever I do find it a little funny that you change out their part then everything is back to normal but your not blaming them of course. Did not switch any o2 sensors did not get any tune ,leaks gaskets? Nothing but replace the HFPC and presto your all good. You have a good day Sir
Old 09-27-2018, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elisha Charles Murray
yes thats an option but i want to pass inspection at some point but good luck to you.

On a better note the rep at RV6 said he would be helpful and ither replace the HFPC or let me down grade to the PCD. of course after i put a 400$ deposit. (returned after they receive their defective product).

In any event its a win for them to learn with their R&D department about what went wrong with their product so nobody has to have this problem.
So is this a complaint? Not sure how to read it. Looks like they are working with you to correct the problem.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

no
Old 09-27-2018, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

well when I first got the error code. the Ktuner picked it up as p2098 post cat bank 2, Too lean.

Then I clocked a few runs on my computer and I let my tuner look at the STFT and LTFT and AFR's you name it. Then I let the mechanic that install the HFPC look over the data and he saw the graphs and live waves during my runs. And it was like the car was struggling had weird idles harsh starts and the bad smell associated unburned gases.

now when i look at error code its says CATALYST and EVAP and its going to say so till its replaced.

So when people say things like its prob other things, just know ive tried all the things.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

yes thats correct however at this point ive tried everything and all data points to the cats being crap
Old 09-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

This is the result of complaining and months of research that has cost me over 400$ to prove. so if you want me to be honest this is a time line of events leading up to recent. Try reading it from start to finish
Old 09-27-2018, 07:14 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
I think were all sympathetic to how frustrating it must be to have a problem like this. But its just contrary to all of our experiences dealing with RV6.

I personally found it odd , reading your first post, you said that RV6 said it could be your mechanic (installed incorrectly), not tuned or your intake. Then you said you went over it with you mechanic so you know its installed right then you got the car tuned.

So what about the intake??? I posted asking if you swapped intake to see if it was fine and you also ignored that. So why did you check 2 of the 3 things rv6 mentioned and not the third??

Even KTuner states that improperly designed intakes can cause problems.

Anyways maybe the cats are bad and the intake is fine but I dont understand why you didnt rule out the intake which is one of the things RV6 mentioned could be the problem.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:15 AM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=dopeboy1;16304530]I think were all sympathetic to how frustrating it must be to have a problem like this. But its just contrary to all of our experiences dealing with RV6.

I personally found it odd , reading your first post, you said that RV6 said it could be your mechanic (installed incorrectly), not tuned or your intake. Then you said you went over it with you mechanic so you know its installed right then you got the car tuned.

So what about the intake??? I posted asking if you swapped intake to see if it was fine and you also ignored that. So why did you check 2 of the 3 things rv6 mentioned and not the third??

Even KTuner states that improperly designed intakes can cause problems.

Anyways maybe the cats are bad and the intake is fine but I dont understand why you didnt rule out the intake which is one of the things RV6 mentioned could be the problem.[/QU

Yes chef that was the 1st and most inexpensive thing to check., im sure you wave the flag for RV6 while tying to discredit other companies like AEM or Ktuner. I ruled out leaks, hooked up diagnostic tools checked fittings and did test. any other questions.

while you fight for a rich company with millions in stock and equity I fight for the guy who takes a chance on these things.I see most of you as an ignorant mob of yes men that cant stick together long enough to help one another.its sad that facts and findings are not good enough for you.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
He was just asking a question which you did not answer until now. It is easier to find the cause of the problem when being analytical and not emotional. I know given the circumstances it is hard not to give into frustration but it won’t help solve the problem.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ultrapogi
He was just asking a question which you did not answer until now. It is easier to find the cause of the problem when being analytical and not emotional. I know given the circumstances it is hard not to give into frustration but it won’t help solve the problem.
Find me a guy who is not emotional about his car and I’ll find the first lier.

What’s frustrating is all the people who think companies are perfect and always have their best interest in mind till it’s their nuts in a sling.

so no disrespect spear me the monologue’ing

Old 11-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. P2098 is not common code that comes with modifying your cats. You claimed to have done all the check we suggested and we offered to replace the cat. All we asked for was a deposit on the new part. This was month ago so I am guessing the issue was resolved and unrelated.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Richie v6
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. P2098 is not common code that comes with modifying your cats. You claimed to have done all the check we suggested and we offered to replace the cat. All we asked for was a deposit on the new part. This was month ago so I am guessing the issue was resolved and unrelated.
no Richie, I’ve been paying for school and I recently got married and well as pay for my mother’s medication.

So now that I am able to pay for the invoice I will do so.

As as I stated before I am not a company and I’m not sponsored by any rich benefactor or some over privileged trust fund baby

i save my money and it takes time. So for what it worth keep you lame comment to yourself. You guys sold me a broken cat that been slowly destroying my car.

its that simple
Old 12-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Explain this brah

Originally Posted by Richie v6

Explain please

Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

no Richie, I’ve been paying for school and I recently got married and well as pay for my mother’s medication.

So now that I am able to pay for the invoice I will do so.

As as I stated before I am not a company and I’m not sponsored by any rich benefactor or some over privileged trust fund baby

i save my money and it takes time. So for what it worth keep you lame comment to yourself. You guys sold me a broken cat that been slowly destroying my car.

its that simple
What's simple is put up the $400, which will get refunded upon return of the old "broken" one, or put the stock cats back on if it's "destroying" your car and quit complaining. All I read is they are helping you but you continue to slam them. I'd personally tell you to get bent and deal with it. But that's just me. Hope you get this squared away.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
What's simple is put up the $400, which will get refunded upon return of the old "broken" one, or put the stock cats back on if it's "destroying" your car and quit complaining. All I read is they are helping you but you continue to slam them. I'd personally tell you to get bent and deal with it. But that's just me. Hope you get this squared away.

Thanks for showing how good you read. Half the time I’m responding to stupid dick heads like you who don’t even own the same car and can’t even relate.

it took months before they even considered giving me an invoice. I took all nessasary steps all of them cost money. So after the run around this is the result.

you must be the trust fund baby that gets to spend his parents money to no end or have had it nice your whole life.

personally I would tell you the best part of you ran down your mothers leg on prom night but that’s just me.

Your running your mouth and acting tough behind a keyboard. If your in NYC I would love to stop by your house and pick up all the money
Old 12-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
The code you posted above is the P0430 I mentioned earlier. I get both the P0430 and P0420 on occasion. Pretty rare really, maybe once a month at most. Closer to 8-9 times per year. My car also has 180K miles on it with the original downstream O2 sensors which likely doesn't help. Oh, and I ran them for about 10K miles on an engine that was burning about 1 qt. of oil every 200-300 miles due to a bonehead mistake I made (I've since had to replace the engine). Cats can get ruined pretty quick on an engine that's running rich or burning oil. Either way, that's a code that again, indicates only that the catalytic converter is not working at the efficiency level that the ECU has determined is sufficient. It's thrown by the downstream O2 sensors which job is exclusively to detect how well the catalytic converter is functioning. You could remove those sensors altogether and it would have no impact on engine performance. I personally don't mind the occasional codes since these cats are much more free flowing and only have a fraction of the substrate of the stock (which is why they're so free flowing). They clear with no problem and don't come back for another month or two. Small price to pay for a significant increase in output. I'll admit it's not ideal though. And from what I've heard from others, not the norm. I'd consider my case an exception based on the situation the cats were exposed to when my old engine was burning so much oil.

Do you have a screenshot of the P2098 code? That one is more serious and likely to have an impact on the engine since it indicates a lean mixture. That one is caused by the upstream O2 sensor, detecting that the O2 content is too high, or in other words, that too little fuel is being added and thus, more O2 is getting through since the fuel/air ratio is too air rich and fuel lean. It's much more serious than a P0430 or P0420 (both of those are essentially the same, just different banks of cylinders).

while you fight for a rich company with millions in stock and equity I fight for the guy who takes a chance on these things.I see most of you as an ignorant mob of yes men that cant stick together long enough to help one another.its sad that facts and findings are not good enough for you.
I'm pretty sure RV6 is a relatively small private company. It was started in Richie Wong's basement 10 years ago. They're bigger now obviously but most of their stuff is exhaust performance products for later model Honda's and Acura's. Their stuff is excellent but I think it's safe to say they're not a multi-million dollar company.

Last edited by losiglow; 12-11-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

plus your our name is Breezy TL not Breezy TLX so why are you even replying to something that does not even involve you.

Its easy to sit on the sidelines and try to poke holes through everything.

Stuff happens and I got a bad cat. The guy asked for proofs and there pics graphs etc even my mechanics wanted to speak to Mr Miller.

This is reference material for TLX owners that have the same issue. Not TL not RL not ILX. I don’t want to be rude but there are so many trolls that have nothing better to do then make a persons life difficult
Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by losiglow
The code you posted above is the P0430 I mentioned earlier. I get both the P0430 and P0420 on occasion. Pretty rare really, maybe once a month at most. Closer to 8-9 times per year. My car also has 180K miles on it with the original downstream O2 sensors which likely doesn't help. Oh, and I ran them for about 10K miles on an engine that was burning about 1 qt. of oil every 200-300 miles due to a bonehead mistake I made (I've since had to replace the engine). Cats can get ruined pretty quick on an engine that's running rich or burning oil. Either way, that's a code that again, indicates only that the catalytic converter is not working at the efficiency level that the ECU has determined is sufficient. It's thrown by the downstream O2 sensors which job is exclusively to detect how well the catalytic converter is functioning. You could remove those sensors altogether and it would have no impact on engine performance. I personally don't mind the occasional codes since these cats are much more free flowing and only have a fraction of the substrate of the stock (which is why they're so free flowing). They clear with no problem and don't come back for another month or two. Small price to pay for a significant increase in output. I'll admit it's not ideal though. And from what I've heard from others, not the norm. I'd consider my case an exception based on the situation the cats were exposed to when my old engine was burning so much oil.

Do you have a screenshot of the P2098 code? That one is more serious and likely to have an impact on the engine since it indicates a lean mixture. That one is caused by the upstream O2 sensor, detecting that the O2 content is too high, or in other words, that too little fuel is being added and thus, more O2 is getting through since the fuel/air ratio is too air rich and fuel lean. It's much more serious than a P0430 or P0420 (both of those are essentially the same, just different banks of cylinders).

I'm pretty sure RV6 is a relatively small private company. It was started in Richie Wong's basement 10 years ago. They're bigger now obviously but most of their stuff is exhaust performance products for later model Honda's and Acura's. Their stuff is excellent but I think it's safe to say they're not a multi-million dollar company.
i think it’s safe to say they have more capital then I do.

When they get their product back they can make R and D videos to learn from this and whatever quality indicator that was over looked.

todate I have had 3 mechanics look them over and even the magic 8 ball says it’s the cats.

thanks for being more then a troll
Old 12-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Thanks for showing how good you read. Half the time I’m responding to stupid dick heads like you who don’t even own the same car and can’t even relate.

it took months before they even considered giving me an invoice. I took all nessasary steps all of them cost money. So after the run around this is the result.

you must be the trust fund baby that gets to spend his parents money to no end or have had it nice your whole life.

personally I would tell you the best part of you ran down your mothers leg on prom night but that’s just me.

Your running your mouth and acting tough behind a keyboard. If your in NYC I would love to stop by your house and pick up all the money
Tough guy over here slinging insults! I actually worked my ass off for all that I own/owned. I don't take hand outs and hate borrowing money if I am in a pinch.

A HFPC for a 5G isn't much different from a 3G... Same concept different housing! The fact that they offered advice to help troubleshoot your issues should say a lot about a company. Others would just sell the product and never stand behind it. After what they suggested turned up to be fine they offered a full replacement with a refunded down payment. To expect everything to run perfect after modifications would be an awesome thing. Some modifications it does, some it doesn't.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

Tough guy over here slinging insults! I actually worked my ass off for all that I own/owned. I don't take hand outs and hate borrowing money if I am in a pinch.

A HFPC for a 5G isn't much different from a 3G... Same concept different housing! The fact that they offered advice to help troubleshoot your issues should say a lot about a company. Others would just sell the product and never stand behind it. After what they suggested turned up to be fine they offered a full replacement with a refunded down payment. To expect everything to run perfect after modifications would be an awesome thing. Some modifications it does, some it doesn't.
i don’t ask for hand outs or help but time is required for a regular Joe that helps his family and took a job the gives back to the community and is a full time student.

all of that comes out of pocket.

I could post all the emails and let you see they were not that giving until I made this post that open the communities eyes to my situation. Even as we email I’m waiting for Craig Miller to call me back.

ive even offerd to drive to Connecticut and let them see it 1st hand and repair it on site

Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Like I said something is not running properly with your car. The P2098 code is not related to the function of cats and it seem the lean condition is now causing the P0430. You were never able to produce any datalogs so we could help pinpoint things. Lets keep personal matters out of this and stick to the facts. I offered to replace the cat, you can send in the old one or put down a deposit. If this issue happens again it is clearly not the fault of the catalyst.
EvilVirus (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:06 AM
8th Gear

Good luck with Craig Miller. I've tried contacting him for the past 6 months and even his supposed remedy to my exhaust rattling (he was gonna send me new gaskets) has not even come through. If they can remedy my issue I would totally drive up to Connecticut. I've been to 5 exhaust shops (Dont get me started on how much I've even spent on trying to repair the piece of crap) and no one has been able to tell my why the exhaust keeps rattling. The xlr8 exhaust did not even stay in the hangers properly which is why at times it would rattle even more. Since then he's never responded to my email nor responded to the post I made about the XLR8 catback on AZ.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peterparkk25
Good luck with Craig Miller. I've tried contacting him for the past 6 months and even his supposed remedy to my exhaust rattling (he was gonna send me new gaskets) has not even come through. If they can remedy my issue I would totally drive up to Connecticut. I've been to 5 exhaust shops (Dont get me started on how much I've even spent on trying to repair the piece of crap) and no one has been able to tell my why the exhaust keeps rattling. The xlr8 exhaust did not even stay in the hangers properly which is why at times it would rattle even more. Since then he's never responded to my email nor responded to the post I made about the XLR8 catback on AZ.

Dude I’m sry to hear this. It sux when your one of the only ones and the community is to ass kissing to stick together and support you.

if there was anything I could do I would. Good luck and God bless
Old 01-07-2019, 11:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV6/ Xcler8 Exhaust and Jpipe

Be careful when dealing with these guys they do not stand by their product. I recently installed their HFPCs and I started to get error code p2098. that means that bank 2 has an issue (to lean). so i took my time and carefully went over the installation with my mechanic again. we looked at the sensor we looked at the gaskets. We went part by part to find the issue. so then my mechanic said call Rv6 because your cat is working
below threshold. some of the gasses are not burning off.

so then i called Rv6 and the salesmen wanted to pass blame and protect his company. he said its your CAI then he blamed the mechanic then blamed the fact that it was not tuned.

I said ok, then got it tuned via Ktuner with a super good tuner,. I looked at the error codes and it still says (Cat and Evap)

so then i told the salesmen if you guys cant even stand by a product that i just bought less then a month ago then thats a major warning sign and the only way to have it replaced is to just buy another.

well for what its worth I hope all of you have better luck and a better experience then I have. i guess if my car has a issue ill just see them in court. sad.

im not rich or sponsored I save for months then take a chance. then i get F'ed in the A. Thank you rv6
I understand what the folks who purchased the HFC from RV6 and the exhaust from Xcler8 are experiencing...i bought my TLX brand new and installed both of these products and both have been a pain for me since installing them....the exhaust system is not a direct fit, and the rattling that is experienced needs to be fixed by a capable exhaust shop, i bought two o2 extenders from big daddies garage which has mini cats inside of them which helps with the p0430 and p0420 codes...its super frustrating. Once the items were reworked to fit properly, they work somewhat tremendously...and those of us who do spend our hard earned money just want answers, and there is nothing wrong with that. The jpipe /exhaust/cats sound really threatning and deliver a wide open exhaust experience.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 PM
8th Gear

I feel your pain. I bought my car in August and purchased the XLR8 exhaust and jpipe in September-ish and then had them installed in November. The fitment of the exhaust was terrible and started to rattle like crazy and burned my bumper. I contacted XLR8 about the issues I was having but I havent heard back from the sales rep Craig since April.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 PM
4th Gear

Exhaust

Although the system (XCELER8) will have to be cut a little, it can be reworked to fit perfectly and sound and perform well....it took my guy 2 hours to fix the rattle completely and now it runs smoothly...as for the rv6 issue, im still on the fence, but the two mini cat o2 extenders from big daddies garage seem to be holding for now, as i havent had any codes kick on for a while now...but we will wait and see. Hopefully, if the 2020 TLX delivers on its 3.5V6 turbo promise, i will say goodbye to my current 2017 advanced...and use my local shop to upgrade all of my exhaust system...as they seem to know how to build it more efficiently..
Old 01-07-2019, 11:29 PM
8th Gear

I've been to 4 different shops and spent so much money on trying to rectify an issue that shouldnt even be there in the first place. I guess the shops around me are just incompetent? They cant seem to fix the rattling and clunking noises.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 PM
4th Gear

Shops

Im not sure, but my guys have many years of experience and work on some high end cars...they just have a passion for fixing problems (Buds Muffler Service) Denver is the best....but i have learned my lesson, i will let them build it from scratch from now on, instead of these aftermarket mass produced systems...maybe they are just not interested because they feel its not worth their time and money, which is sad....most shop only deal with oem fixes you know? Find a hot rod or custom exhaust builder in your area, they can easily fix this for you
Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 PM
8th Gear

"Easily fix" is fine but I'm just unwilling to dump anymore money into it especially when I already spent 1250 for the system itself let alone the hundreds of dollars of just trying to diagnose what could be causing the rattling and clunking. Thank you for the advice though. I just wish that the reps of XLR8 would take customer service more seriously.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 PM
4th Gear

I understand but when i say easy fix i mean for them...the system will not fit exactly like factory, so some modifications may be needed and this is definitely where a local pro can ease some the pain, although it may take another 200 dollars( about 2.5 hourshof labor) for pure fittment and as close to perfection as possible...and mine is mated to the jpipe and Hfc from RV6...dont get frustrated, just dig deeper...or another option could be to sell the exhaust and see if someone can build you one from scratch...which is not an altogether bad option...